SUV vs Full Size Car - Taurus or Escape

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Lynette

SUV vs Full Size Car - Taurus or Escape

Post by Lynette » Thu May 03, 2018 8:20 am

In the next new months (or sooner) I am going to have to get a new vehicle. I have a 2015 Taurus that has low mileage but for the second time, I backed it up into a large truck and this time damaged the trunk of my car. The guys at the corner oil place banged it out for me and it isn't too bad. There was no damage to these massive trucks! I've never had problems backing into stuff until I got the Taurus with a backup camera but no sensor. So I want a vehicle with a backup sensor. I live in a narrow road in Michigan with continuous construction and on that day could not even get parking around my house. Michigan winters and lack of funding results in us having terrible potholes so a smaller vehicle gives a lousy ride and I feel safer in a larger vehicle in the winter snow though I really don't need it except for carrying soil and trees and plants and ... :D

I can get the Ford AY&Z plan through a family member and have always driven Fords so will likely stick with the range. My question is about a sedan vs SUV. My sibling says to get a SUV but I have never driven them though this seems to be the trend and Ford is dumping most of its sedans. The only safety reason I can see for getting a SUV is that one sits higher. I'm retired and drive mainly around this area. If I go further afield, I fly and rent. With discounts I can likely get either a Taurus, Fusion or Escape for about $20,000. I usually replace my vehicles at about 50,000 or five years. I don't care about performance, color of car or seats etc.

I would appreciate advice from those who have gone from sedans to SUVs.

Thanks,

Lynette
Last edited by Lynette on Wed May 09, 2018 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Alexa9

Re: SUV vs Full Size Car - Taurus or Escape

Post by Alexa9 » Thu May 03, 2018 8:28 am

SUV's are very popular especially in snowy areas. Do you need one? Probably not. Higher visibility and clearance is nice though. You save a bit on gas with a sedan and gas prices may be going up. Either one is fine. I'd test drive both and see what you think.

dbr

Post by dbr » Thu May 03, 2018 8:39 am

My story is that a couple of years ago my very old sedan was giving up the ghost and I went shopping for new one. I was appalled at how difficult it is to see out the back and side of current body styles. So I did an internet search on outside visibility ratings of vehicles and found the top rated model was the Subaru Forrester and the next one the Subaru Outback. That got me into the Subaru dealership where it took about ten minutes to figure out one or the other of those models would be good for me. A test drive settled on the Outback over the Forrester for quieter and more comfortable ride. Where I live all time all wheel drive and the high clearance of the Subaru are between plusses and essentials. At the same time I discovered the joy of being able to enter and exit a car at exactly the right height, not too low like a sedan and not too high like the large truck based SUVs or a pick-up truck. Forrester, by the way, us highest rated for ease of exit and entry.

At this point enters the electronic safety enhancements. All vehicles now must have back up cameras but in addition most of them will have warning devices and auto-braking. A most helpful feature of the Subaru system is side view and warning system from the back bumper that tells you of cross traffic behind your car and also pedestrians in the vicinity.

Subaru and other brands can also be bought with forward looking warning, and auto-braking systems. The Subaru version is called EyeSight and is an excellent implementation. An included feature is Adaptive Cruise Control, which I find really helpful. Almost all makers have versions of these systems on higher end vehicle. I strongly recommend it.

We didn't bother looking at any other compact SUV brands as there was no need to look further. Well, ok, I did test drive some Volvo station wagon or another, but for the extra thousands of dollars I couldn't identify any good reason to spend more.
Last edited by dbr on Thu May 03, 2018 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Thu May 03, 2018 8:40 am

Thanks Alex9. I think that the gas consumption on the Escape is about the same as the Taurus. It seems everyone is going to SUVs.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Thu May 03, 2018 8:43 am

dbr wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 8:39 am
My story is that a couple of years ago my very old sedan was giving up the ghost and I went shopping for new one. I was appalled at how difficult it is to see out the back and side of current body styles. So I did an internet search on outside visibility ratings of vehicles and found the top rated model was the Subaru Forrester and the next one the Subaru Outback. That got me into the Subaru dealership where it took about ten minutes to figure out one or the other of those models would be good for me. A test drive settled on the Outback over the Forrester for quieter and more comfortable ride. Where I live all time all wheel drive and the high clearance of the Subaru are between plusses and essentials. At the same time I discovered the joy of being able to enter and exit a car at exactly the right height, not too low like a sedan and not too high like the large truck based SUVs or a pick-up truck. Forrester, by the way, us highest rated for ease of exit and entry.

At this point enters the electronic safety enhancements. All vehicles now must have back up cameras but in addition most of them will have warning devices and auto-braking. A most helpful feature of the Subaru system is side view and warning system from the back bumper that tells you of cross traffic behind your car and also pedestrians in the vicinity.

Subaru and other brands can also be bought with forward looking warning, and auto-braking systems. The Subaru version is called EyeSight and is an excellent implementation. An included feature is Adaptive Cruise Control, which I find really helpful. Almost all makers have versions of these systems on higher end vehicle. I strongly recommend it.

We didn't bother looking at any other compact SUV brands as there was no need to look further. Well, ok, I did test drive some Volvo station wagon or another, but for the extra thousands of dollars I couldn't identify any good reason to spend more.
Thanks DBR but I assume you were looking in the $40,000 range. I can get the Ford products for about $20,000. I always seem to be scratching something or someone scratches me. I read reviews about the automatic braking but it seems that this is only in the top-of-the line products.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Thu May 03, 2018 8:45 am

We recently moved to snow country and swapped out both our hatchbacks for compact CUV's. DW loves the higher riding position and feeling of safety. I am indifferent on the higher driving position of my Ford Escape.

I detest the abysmal fuel economy, rougher riding, and and worse handling of the Escape. Tire replacement costs are also much higher on the Escape. The wind and road nose is driving me nuts. The tires make quite a racket. DW's newer 2016 model CUV is quieter and smoother but still louder and rougher than the hatchbacks we owned.

I do like how I can run over things and not worry about the under carriage especially in the snow when everything is white and I can't tell what I'm driving over. My 2009 Escape has backup sensors but no camera. It works quite well. I've nearly backed into two poles. I'll be installing an aftermarket back up camera now that the weather is nicer.

Now that I've survived my first winter in snow, do I regret getting the Escape? No. While I dislike the vehicle and the cost of ownership is much higher than my old hatchback, I believe it is the right vehicle form factor for where I live.

I'm eyeing the Ford Ecosport, Toyota CHR, Honda HRV, Chevy Trax, Mazda CX3, Hyundai Kona, etc as a replacement for my Escape. They are the new mini CUV segment. You get the higher ride height of an SUV but a more compact and hopefully more economical to own vehicle.
Last edited by mmmodem on Thu May 03, 2018 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

dbr

Post by dbr » Thu May 03, 2018 8:47 am

Lynette wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 8:43 am
dbr wrote:

Thanks DBR but I assume you were looking in the $40,000 range. I can get the Ford products for about $20,000. I always seem to be scratching something or someone scratches me. I read reviews about the automatic braking but it seems that this is only in the top-of-the line products.
Out the door prices on a top of the line Outback would fall at about $30,000 plus a thousand or two, not counting taxes. The same would be true of the usual comparisons such as Honda CRV or Toyota RAV4. I am not an advocate for any particular brand, though, just telling a story.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Thu May 03, 2018 9:13 am

Lynette wrote:
dbr wrote:

Ford has the Safe and Smart package that includes a lot of the warning systems with brake support. (Though not fully automatic braking.) I have not used Ford’s most recent version. I have a different brand with similar features. Well worth the extra cost. I believe this package is available on all the vehicles you are considering.
Last edited by Katietsu on Thu May 03, 2018 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

midareff

Post by midareff » Thu May 03, 2018 9:19 am

Lynette... Ford is going out of the car business except for the Mustang. That means factory parts and warranty support will be diminishing for sedans. They are even stopping production of police cruisers. If it must be a car I'd recommend it not be a Ford.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Thu May 03, 2018 9:19 am

Just a note that you should be wary of reading reviews of the Escape online. Older versions of that vehicle were quite poor and the reviews reflect that. The most recent iteration of the vehicle, however, is much improved. As you note, Ford recently announced it will no longer sell passenger cars in the US market. So if resale value of the car is at all important to you (and if you really get rid of your cars at 50,000 miles, it should be), I would avoid a Ford sedan at this time and go with the Escape.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu May 03, 2018 9:21 am

Ford is dropping car models because they make more money on SUVs. Gas is creeping up to $3 again and once it's hit, you'll see more demand for better MPG cars and as is usually the case, Honda and Toyota and Nissan will capture lots of new business and the Big 3 will be pushed on their heels trying to sell Suburbans and Expeditions and Hemi pickups at $15k discounts.

Ok, so what vehicle to choose? I'd go and drive all the ones you've listed plus a number of others. Ford has a dizzying array of SUVs and then Taurus, Fusion and the Chinese made Focus (the Fiesta is being dropped).

Something that I think is really important is that you review the material you studied to get your drivers license. Before backing up, you should turn around and look (with your eyes, not with a camera) at where you're backing. Use the camera for the distance finders as you get really close. I can't imagine you'd back into a big truck if you were looking right at it.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Thu May 03, 2018 9:51 am

dbr wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 8:47 am
Lynette wrote:
dbr wrote:

Out the door prices on a top of the line Outback would fall at about $30,000 plus a thousand or two, not counting taxes. The same would be true of the usual comparisons such as Honda CRV or Toyota RAV4. I am not an advocate for any particular brand, though, just telling a story.
Thank you DBR, I appreciate your input.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Thu May 03, 2018 9:52 am

Katietsu wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 9:13 am
Lynette wrote:
dbr wrote:

Ford has the Safe and Smart package that includes a lot of the warning systems with brake support. (Though not fully automatic braking.) I have not used Ford’s most recent version. I have a different brand with similar features. Well worth the extra cost. I believe this package is available on all the vehicles you are considering.
Thank you. I will investigate.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Thu May 03, 2018 9:53 am

mmmodem wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 8:45 am
We recently moved to snow country and swapped out both our hatchbacks for compact CUV's. DW loves the higher riding position and feeling of safety. I am indifferent on the higher driving position of my Ford Escape.

I detest the abysmal fuel economy, rougher riding, and and worse handling of the Escape. Tire replacement costs are also much higher on the Escape. The wind and road nose is driving me nuts. The tires make quite a racket. DW's newer 2016 model CUV is quieter and smoother but still louder and rougher than the hatchbacks we owned.

I do like how I can run over things and not worry about the under carriage especially in the snow when everything is white and I can't tell what I'm driving over. My 2009 Escape has backup sensors but no camera. It works quite well. I've nearly backed into two poles. I'll be installing an aftermarket back up camera now that the weather is nicer.

Now that I've survived my first winter in snow, do I regret getting the Escape? No. While I dislike the vehicle and the cost of ownership is much higher than my old hatchback, I believe it is the right vehicle form factor for where I live.

I'm eyeing the Ford Ecosport, Toyota CHR, Honda HRV, Chevy Trax, Mazda CX3, Hyundai Kona, etc as a replacement for my Escape. They are the new mini CUV segment. You get the higher ride height of an SUV but a more compact and hopefully more economical to own vehicle.
Thank you for letting me know your experiences.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Thu May 03, 2018 10:03 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 9:21 am
Ford is dropping car models because they make more money on SUVs. Gas is creeping up to $3 again and once it's hit, you'll see more demand for better MPG cars and as is usually the case, Honda and Toyota and Nissan will capture lots of new business and the Big 3 will be pushed on their heels trying to sell Suburbans and Expeditions and Hemi pickups at $15k discounts.

Ok, so what vehicle to choose? I'd go and drive all the ones you've listed plus a number of others. Ford has a dizzying array of SUVs and then Taurus, Fusion and the Chinese made Focus (the Fiesta is being dropped).

Something that I think is really important is that you review the material you studied to get your drivers license. Before backing up, you should turn around and look (with your eyes, not with a camera) at where you're backing. Use the camera for the distance finders as you get really close. I can't imagine you'd back into a big truck if you were looking right at it.
Yes, yes I know. The house next door was having the lawn torn up and downspouts into the street replaced as the dog was digging it up. The lawn was replaced last year. Probably cost over $6000 in two years. The house across the road was having windows replaced. I had to back up to let the SUV of my electrician get out of my property. I was in a hurry to let him out, it was cloudy and I was backing up too fast as I wanted my electrician to get out. The other time, the house across the road was getting a new driveway. There was a trailer with a large hitch. It was there for about three weeks as it was raining. I did not see it when I backed up. The damage to the car did not seem to be too bad but the indicator for the car light came on as the tyre pressure was low. It turned out that I had damaged two metal bars that held the assembly. I had noticed that the car wasn't handling well. So I had the metal bars and tyres replaced- cost me about $1,500.

Another time a car backed into me at Starbucks and then simply took off. I replaced the vehicle as I had had it for about five years.

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Thu May 03, 2018 10:10 am

Just because everyone else is going SUV doesn’t mean you should follow the crowd. The Escape is great, but if you don’t have a need for the extra space, I would go with the fusion.

One of the things you mention that’s important is ride quality. The Fusion is less choppy than the escape and the handling is better. The escape is top heavy and when you go into turns you feel it leaning. It takes longer to stop because it’s heavier. The fusion drives better and has a nicer quality interior. Fusion also will get better mileage in real world driving. I’ve driven both many times and greatly prefer the fusion.

One poster mentioned availability of parts when does stops making sedans. Given that the fusion uses the same engines available in the escape, and that many other parts are shared, I would not be concerned about that

The Taurus is bigger and more luxurious than both of those. If you want more luxury than fusion or escape offer, the Taurus is pretty good

Instead of buying a ford and only keeping it for 50k miles why don’t you buy a Honda Accord or Mazda 6 and keep it for 150k miles. Both those cars are more refined and have more comfortable ride than the Ford. They also get better mileage and are more reliable. The radio and climate controls in the Honda and Mazda are also easier to use and laid out in a less confusing manner

jazman12

Post by jazman12 » Thu May 03, 2018 10:13 am

Escape for active adults
Act soon... time is running out

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Thu May 03, 2018 10:17 am

Thank you JACK FFR1846, Rupert and Midareff. I live in the Detroit area and a lot of industry is associated with the Big Three and a lot of people I know work for them, are their suppliers or sell to them. I think that the dealerships will be trying to dump their sedans at the end of the year and it may be more difficult to get parts in the future but I probably won't keep the car for more than five years as I think that there will be a lot of innovation and especially for safety. As DBR mentioned, I think that Subaru is one of the few brands that has automatic backup braking. I think that that will be standard in all models by 2022.

I don't like to negotiate on price but I can get a large discount through a family member on the Ford AX&Z plan. Dealers also offer incentives and I can get most vehicles that have a list price of over $27,000 for about $20,000.

GCD

Post by GCD » Thu May 03, 2018 10:21 am

Lynette wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 8:20 am
Michigan winters and lack of funding results in us having terrible potholes so a smaller vehicle gives a lousy ride and I feel safer in a larger vehicle in the winter snow though I really don't need it except for carrying soil and trees and plants and ... :D

So before I extol the virtues of an F150 (obviously still in the Ford family), do you have any interest in a truck? Better for hauling dirty big things like soil and trees. It would equate to a full-size SUV, not a cross over size SUV.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Thu May 03, 2018 10:23 am

ssquared87 wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 10:10 am
Just because everyone else is going SUV doesn’t mean you should follow the crowd. The Escape is great, but if you don’t have a need for the extra space, I would go with the fusion.

One of the things you mention that’s important is ride quality. The Fusion is less choppy than the escape and the handling is better. The escape is top heavy and when you go into turns you feel it leaning. It takes longer to stop because it’s heavier. The fusion drives better and has a nicer quality interior. Fusion also will get better mileage in real world driving. I’ve driven both many times and greatly prefer the fusion.

One poster mentioned availability of parts when does stops making sedans. Given that the fusion uses the same engines available in the escape, and that many other parts are shared, I would not be concerned about that

The Taurus is bigger and more luxurious than both of those. If you want more luxury than fusion or escape offer, the Taurus is pretty good

Instead of buying a ford and only keeping it for 50k miles why don’t you buy a Honda Accord or Mazda 6 and keep it for 150k miles. Both those cars are more refined and have more comfortable ride than the Ford. They also get better mileage and are more reliable. The radio and climate controls in the Honda and Mazda are also easier to use and laid out in a less confusing manner
Thanks - something to consider but I can get the Ford products really cheaply. I am used to Ford products as I have had them since 1980 when I emigrated. At that stage I worked for a vendor who sold to the Big Three. They were being hammered by the Japanese car makers as their quality was terrible. I think it is much improved. One of our Sales Reps told me that when he moved to this area, his manager told him to get rid of his Japanese brand car and not to park it on the Parking Lot of the Big Three. This is no longer true as the parking lots have a large mixture of brands.

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Thu May 03, 2018 10:33 am

If it was me personally and those are the only two options… I would get the Taurus and hope to either get a good deal on it or load up on options for your budget.

1) Taurus is the bigger vehicle with a nicer ride. Parts might diminish over time but there's enough of them on the road for viable donor parts for the foreseeable future.

2) Ford Escape is really a compact crossover, so really an AWD hatchback with a lift kit. It's not going to magically fare any better in a fender bender with a full-size truck or commercial vehicle.

3) Very few compact crossovers age that well (IMHO). Within 5 years, most are beater vehicles.

4) Someone mentioned a Ford Fusion. That's a good option as well. I like the current body style.

panine

Post by panine » Thu May 03, 2018 2:42 pm

Rupert wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 9:19 am
Just a note that you should be wary of reading reviews of the Escape online. Older versions of that vehicle were quite poor and the reviews reflect that. The most recent iteration of the vehicle, however, is much improved. As you note, Ford recently announced it will no longer sell passenger cars in the US market. So if resale value of the car is at all important to you (and if you really get rid of your cars at 50,000 miles, it should be), I would avoid a Ford sedan at this time and go with the Escape.
Yes, be wary of what people online say about Ford and the Escape when it's a blanket statement about quality. I have a 15-year-old escape that has rarely needed anything beyond maintenance. Further, I've owned Fords throughout my life with no ridiculous problems to speak of. Easy access to parts and low mechanic costs when necessary.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Thu May 03, 2018 2:56 pm

Thanks Panine, I've been researching the features of the cars and though I quite like the smaller size of the Fusion, once one starts to add up all of the safety features and packages, it becomes really expensive. A lot of the safety features are only available on the more expensive models. My Taurus 2015 has only done 27,000 miles and I think the damage is only cosmetic so I have time to make a decision. I usually trade in my car at the dealer as I don't like to hassle about price and I know the dealer gives me about half of what I could get with some more effort.

petras52

Post by petras52 » Thu May 03, 2018 3:18 pm

I drive both a 2010 toyota camry and an older boxy design, 2012 ford escape. The pluses on the carmry are a softer, quieter ride and better gas mileage, especially on the highway. The positives on the escape are: a better overall view of the road ahead, higher clearance above snow making getting stuck a little less likely in some situations, easier to get in and out of which, as I get older, I'm really appreciating, more ability to carry cargo with the rear seats folded. Also some of the new sedans, ie 2018 camry, are lowering their seat height making egress for older folks even more difficult. Although my escape has been very reliable with the 2.5L engine, some other engine options have had issues.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Thu May 03, 2018 4:16 pm

GCD wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 10:21 am
Lynette wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 8:20 am
Michigan winters and lack of funding results in us having terrible potholes so a smaller vehicle gives a lousy ride and I feel safer in a larger vehicle in the winter snow though I really don't need it except for carrying soil and trees and plants and ... :D

So before I extol the virtues of an F150 (obviously still in the Ford family), do you have any interest in a truck? Better for hauling dirty big things like soil and trees. It would equate to a full-size SUV, not a cross over size SUV.
:D - Probably not. I'm always redoing my garden but hope that will end soon - or as I get older .. hire someone to redo my garden every few years.

GCD

Post by GCD » Thu May 03, 2018 4:18 pm

Lynette wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 4:16 pm

:D - Probably not. I'm always redoing my garden but hope that will end soon - or as I get older .. hire someone to redo my garden every few years.
No problem, didn't want to go down that road if you weren't interested. It looks like a lot of the discussion has focused on smaller cars since then too.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Thu May 03, 2018 4:21 pm

petras52 wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 3:18 pm
I drive both a 2010 toyota camry and an older boxy design, 2012 ford escape. The pluses on the carmry are a softer, quieter ride and better gas mileage, especially on the highway. The positives on the escape are: a better overall view of the road ahead, higher clearance above snow making getting stuck a little less likely in some situations, easier to get in and out of which, as I get older, I'm really appreciating, more ability to carry cargo with the rear seats folded. Also some of the new sedans, ie 2018 camry, are lowering their seat height making egress for older folks even more difficult. Although my escape has been very reliable with the 2.5L engine, some other engine options have had issues.
I do yoga and am still quite flexible in my seventies. I guess I'm a bit concerned about driving a SUV - size, parking etc. The Fusion is about the size I'd prefer. I should likely get around to driving and Escape.

My absolute requirement for safety is a beeper at the back. I also like the idea of a blind spot warning. Parallel parking assist is not a biggie. I like the safety features of the Subaru.

panine

Post by panine » Thu May 03, 2018 4:33 pm

Lynette wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 4:21 pm
petras52 wrote:
I do yoga and am still quite flexible in my seventies. I guess I'm a bit concerned about driving a SUV - size, parking etc. The Fusion is about the size I'd prefer. I should likely get around to driving and Escape.

My absolute requirement for safety is a beeper at the back. I also like the idea of a blind spot warning. Parallel parking assist is not a biggie. I like the safety features of the Subaru.
hi Lynette, for kicks i compared the length of the 2017 Fusion to the 2017 Escape and the Fusion is 14 inches longer than the Escape (according to Edmunds). So you'd get better visibility AND easier parking maybe.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Thu May 03, 2018 5:33 pm

panine wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 4:33 pm
Lynette wrote:
petras52 wrote:

hi Lynette, for kicks i compared the length of the 2017 Fusion to the 2017 Escape and the Fusion is 14 inches longer than the Escape (according to Edmunds). So you'd get better visibility AND easier parking maybe.
Thanks! I went for a walk and then a drive. It seemed to me that about 80% of the vehicles on the road were some or other type of SUV. I also saw a number of Escapes and they look quite small - almost smaller than my Taurus.

A powerful reason for sticking with Ford is that I can get about $8,000 off the list price with the Ford plan through family.

LawEgr1

Post by LawEgr1 » Thu May 03, 2018 6:19 pm

2014 Ford Taurus SEL Owner with Leather/ Backup / Sync / 20" premium wheel options here. Also just bought a new vehicle for the other half, and we did not purchase a 'compact SUV' like everyone else. Here is why -

1) Marketing on these compact SUVs works wonders for the masses. The true utility IMO is very little when considering that vs. a Taurus. The Taurus is uniquely utilitarian as you are aware although the back seat isn't as spacious as you'd think it should be. Unsure if that matters to you. I'm still trying to figure out the justification people see for nabbing CSUVs in general...seems like 'sitting up higher' is a thing. Additionally, suppliers know they're in demand and IMO there are no good deals to be had. Note what I said is different than saying it's a bad vehicle choice /car, I just don't get it - so hopefully no one is 'offended'. It's just hard to find decent value given the pricing currently.
1a) Taurus deals should be able to be had/
2) You are aware of all the spacing inside the Taurus. So I won't comment on that.
3) The Taurus is awesome in the snow. The car is a complete tank and weights 2 tons. Even better - slap some snows on it (Note: I also live in upper midwest)
4) Aside from the water pump issue, proven design
5) Ford Escape, IMO, is a shoddy ride w/ limited room in the back.
6) Taurus is a great highway ride. Although it drives like a tank, it's a good highway ride planted to the ground, little noise and if it's windy you have no idea until you get out.
7) Decent enough power
8) Meh MPG
9) Great tech - as noted above you can get safety features you desire, including backup sensors :)
10) You already know the face someone gives you when you say you drive a "Taurus" and they think of the 2000 Taurus
11) Hilariously large trunk in the Taurus

Although you note that you are Ford loyal, I would recommend checking out other vehicles as well like Hyundai or Subaru. I think the outback is an awesome vehicle and the legacy is also a great choice if AWD is your thing.

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu May 03, 2018 6:32 pm

midareff wrote:
Lynette... Ford is going out of the car business except for the Mustang. That means factory parts and warranty support will be diminishing for sedans. They are even stopping production of police cruisers. If it must be a car I'd recommend it not be a Ford.
I am not sure how it would work with the friends and family discount but I would expect so really good deals as they wind down the car inventory.

I would not assume that getting parts would be a big problem. About every five years most models are totally redesigned anyway and the parts for the old design are available for years.

A discontinued car model will typically have lower resale value though so you need to keep that in mind.

Dragline

Post by Dragline » Thu May 03, 2018 7:22 pm

midareff wrote:
This is inaccurate. Warranties will still be honored and parts will still be available. Most parts are shared between the sedans and SUVs, anyhow. My Ford SUV has the same engine as the Ford sedan it replaced. It's now 10 years old and I have no problems getting parts for it. My wife bought a Mercury Cougar the last year that Ford made them. Even with no other similar model in their lineup, we had no problem getting parts for the next 10 years that she owned it.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Thu May 03, 2018 7:41 pm

Thanks LawEgr1 for your comments on the Taurus. I am retired now and mainly drive around my neighborhood. Sometimes, I transport friends to theater, opera. I do not need much space in the car except when I need to transport soil. I have been redoing my garden, having new drains installed etc. I do not think that the back seat will fold down so it was difficult to get the bags of soil into it. Overall I am happy with the Taurus in the winter as you mention it is a tank. But I find parking a bit difficult as everyone has SUVs.

Thanks Watty and Dragline. I do not think that getting parts will be a problem as the area where I live is full of Ford, Chrysler and GM products. In any event as I mentioned I only keep a car for five years or 50,000 miles whichever comes first.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Thu May 03, 2018 11:36 pm

Can’t you just add an aftermarket backup sensor on your current Taurus?

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Fri May 04, 2018 4:59 am

Thanks for the thought. I suppose it is possible but I would need to have the trunk fixed first and I am not sure if there is any frame damage. I am living a quiet life at the moment as I'm studying at a community college and not traveling - my usual high expense. I have some money in a savings account that is earning virtually nothing so I can pay cash. I think that the dealer gets an incentive from Ford if they finance. I don't want to do that as I would have to unfreeze my credit at the credit bureau. I'm pretty set on the Escape if I like driving it. I would also have to see how long it would take to install the optional safety package.

Thanks to all who contributed to the thread.

Lynette

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Fri May 04, 2018 5:51 am

Lynette wrote:
On this board, you are almost always going to get recommendations for Japanese products - Honda, Toyota, and Subaru primarily - because of hte strong resale and high reliability/price ratio. Also, the Forrester as mentioned above is more like a 30k car, not 40.

Having said that... once upon a time I had relatives in Detroit and visited often during the mid-2000s. I am well aware that to drive a Honda there one would stick out like a sore thumb :twisted:

You probably saw the news report about Ford phasing out sedans in favor of an SUV only lineup by 2020. (edit, see now its been mentioned in thread) That means that if you want a Taurus you have less than a year to get one before they are gone. It also may mean you can negotiate an exceptionally good deal on leftovers, as a lot of buyers may not to jump in at the end. Ford as a company is strong so I would not be too worried about parts or service....

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Fri May 04, 2018 6:58 am

Lynette wrote:
petras52 wrote:

Definitely test drive the Ford EcoSport too if you're worried about size. It's one size smaller than an Escape. Basically it is an Escape with a smaller trunk. Costs less too.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Fri May 04, 2018 7:20 am

mmmodem wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 6:58 am
Lynette wrote:
petras52 wrote:

Definitely test drive the Ford EcoSport too if you're worried about size. It's one size smaller than an Escape. Basically it is an Escape with a smaller trunk. Costs less too.
Weather and potholes in Michigan are the main reason I get larger vehicles. I could likely do with a Fiesta if I felt safe in it. I looked at the Ford online specs and one line even had a feature for pothole avoidance. Recently when I was at a tyre shop, a large number of people were there for blown out tyres due to potholes.

midareff

Post by midareff » Fri May 04, 2018 7:22 am

Watty wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 6:32 pm
midareff wrote:
I am not sure how it would work with the friends and family discount but I would expect so really good deals as they wind down the car inventory.

I would not assume that getting parts would be a big problem. About every five years most models are totally redesigned anyway and the parts for the old design are available for years.

A discontinued car model will typically have lower resale value though so you need to keep that in mind.

I understand your perspective Watty however; as cars wind down dealer service staff will too along with parts room inventories. The more important part being ability for dealers to furnish warranty support for no longer manufactured vehicles. Aftermarket shops and such will always be able to fix stuff and supply aftermarket parts but that's not warranty coverage. I suspect some dealers, probably more in city stores, may have to close.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Fri May 04, 2018 7:23 am

jharkin wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:51 am
Lynette wrote:
On this board, you are almost always going to get recommendations for Japanese products - Honda, Toyota, and Subaru primarily - because of hte strong resale and high reliability/price ratio. Also, the Forrester as mentioned above is more like a 30k car, not 40.

Having said that... once upon a time I had relatives in Detroit and visited often during the mid-2000s. I am well aware that to drive a Honda there one would stick out like a sore thumb :twisted:

You probably saw the news report about Ford phasing out sedans in favor of an SUV only lineup by 2020. (edit, see now its been mentioned in thread) That means that if you want a Taurus you have less than a year to get one before they are gone. It also may mean you can negotiate an exceptionally good deal on leftovers, as a lot of buyers may not to jump in at the end. Ford as a company is strong so I would not be too worried about parts or service....
Yes :D I don't think the sentiment against Japanese cars in this area is as strong as it used to be. However, it was a hard lesson that the Big Three had to learn to improve their reliability. I have not had any problems with American cars.

DrakeSRT

Post by DrakeSRT » Fri May 04, 2018 8:26 am

The latest version of the Escape rated poorly in crash tests. Something to think about.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Fri May 04, 2018 8:30 am

LawEgr1 wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 6:19 pm
2014 Ford Taurus SEL Owner with Leather/ Backup / Sync / 20" premium wheel options here. Also just bought a new vehicle for the other half, and we did not purchase a 'compact SUV' like everyone else. Here is why -

1) Marketing on these compact SUVs works wonders for the masses. The true utility IMO is very little when considering that vs. a Taurus. The Taurus is uniquely utilitarian as you are aware although the back seat isn't as spacious as you'd think it should be. Unsure if that matters to you. I'm still trying to figure out the justification people see for nabbing CSUVs in general...seems like 'sitting up higher' is a thing. Additionally, suppliers know they're in demand and IMO there are no good deals to be had. Note what I said is different than saying it's a bad vehicle choice /car, I just don't get it - so hopefully no one is 'offended'. It's just hard to find decent value given the pricing currently.
1a) Taurus deals should be able to be had/
2) You are aware of all the spacing inside the Taurus. So I won't comment on that.
3) The Taurus is awesome in the snow. The car is a complete tank and weights 2 tons. Even better - slap some snows on it (Note: I also live in upper midwest)
4) Aside from the water pump issue, proven design
5) Ford Escape, IMO, is a shoddy ride w/ limited room in the back.
6) Taurus is a great highway ride. Although it drives like a tank, it's a good highway ride planted to the ground, little noise and if it's windy you have no idea until you get out.
7) Decent enough power
8) Meh MPG
9) Great tech - as noted above you can get safety features you desire, including backup sensors :)
10) You already know the face someone gives you when you say you drive a "Taurus" and they think of the 2000 Taurus
11) Hilariously large trunk in the Taurus

Although you note that you are Ford loyal, I would recommend checking out other vehicles as well like Hyundai or Subaru. I think the outback is an awesome vehicle and the legacy is also a great choice if AWD is your thing.
Hi,

I just spoke to a guy from a dealership and he told me that the Taurus is the same size as the Ford Explorer! I would likely have bought another Taurus if the direction was not to SUVs. I think it will be easier for me to park the Escape and haul soil and plants around. in addition, I can get the Safe and Smart Package already installed on an Escape SEL. I may still get a Taurus if I don't like the way the Escape handles. Its not so much loyalty but knowledge of the Ford products and the price for which I can get them.

I'm waiting for another handyman to give me quote on some work. Spring is finally here in Michigan.

Thanks for your input.

Lynette

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Fri May 04, 2018 8:45 am

If you're stuck on picking between those two, I vote for the Escape.

I guess you're a Ford fan. I've had both of those vehicles and I would never buy them again:
- Taurus has a solid history of mediocrity
- Escape is one tiny 'SUV'. At least get an Explorer if you can afford it.

dbr

Post by dbr » Fri May 04, 2018 8:49 am

sunny_socal wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 8:45 am
If you're stuck on picking between those two, I vote for the Escape.

I guess you're a Ford fan. I've had both of those vehicles and I would never buy them again:
- Taurus has a solid history of mediocrity
- Escape is one tiny 'SUV'. At least get an Explorer if you can afford it.
She has benefits that allow under market price purchase of Ford products. Also given that in the OP having a small, maneuverable, and easy to see out of car is identified as a need, the Escape would pretty much nail it compared to a Fusion or a Taurus.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri May 04, 2018 9:30 am

midareff wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 7:22 am
I understand your perspective Watty however; as cars wind down dealer service staff will too along with parts room inventories. The more important part being ability for dealers to furnish warranty support for no longer manufactured vehicles. Aftermarket shops and such will always be able to fix stuff and supply aftermarket parts but that's not warranty coverage. I suspect some dealers, probably more in city stores, may have to close.
This has not been the case for a major brand ever in recorded history, so there's no reason for it to be so now. Suggesting otherwise is fearmongering, pure and simple.

The Saab brand has been dead for over six years, and was never all that popular to begin with. Yet there's still a servicing dealer (not an aftermarket shop) 3 miles from my house. People have no trouble getting Saturn, Pontiac, or Oldsmobile service from GM dealers using brand-new OE parts and fluids (with the lone exception being long delays importing certain parts for the Australian-built GTO and G8), and those brands have been gone for 8-15 years. There's literally zero chance that you'll be unable to get warranty service for a 2018 Fusion or Taurus in 2021. We're talking about a model with nearly three million units sold in North America.

midareff

Post by midareff » Fri May 04, 2018 9:38 am

lazydavid wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 9:30 am
midareff wrote:
This has not been the case for a major brand ever in recorded history, so there's no reason for it to be so now. Suggesting otherwise is fearmongering, pure and simple.

The Saab brand has been dead for over six years, and was never all that popular to begin with. Yet there's still a servicing dealer (not an aftermarket shop) 3 miles from my house. People have no trouble getting Saturn, Pontiac, or Oldsmobile service from GM dealers using brand-new OE parts and fluids (with the lone exception being long delays importing certain parts for the Australian-built GTO and G8), and those brands have been gone for 8-15 years. There's literally zero chance that you'll be unable to get warranty service for a 2018 Fusion or Taurus in 2021. We're talking about a model with nearly three million units sold in North America.
Really? If you ask Edwards to find you a Saab Dealer the answer is this aren't any. Are there some locations that may have been Saab certified to do work, of course. Would you expect them to have factory trained technicians..... absolutely not. Would you recommend getting an Alfa Romeo based on its long term record in the US and it's historical record of supplying parts and service too? After 11 years in the rent-a-car business and another 30 in municipal fleet management I just might have a pretty good historical perspective of brands and equipment and what happens over time when they cease manufacture. If you want to buy a vehicle whose production has been stopped.. be my guest. I'm quite sure they won't be an easy top dollar resell when you are done with it too.

John88

Post by John88 » Fri May 04, 2018 11:45 am

We purchased a 2014 base model Ford Escape new and have had zero issues with it. A sedan would not work for us. We have piled many bulky items with the seats down where a sedan wouldn’t work. I also put PVC and 2 x4s as long as 10 feet inside-very nice having the fold down rear seats. I think ours was about $18K, a few thousand below a CRV or RAV4. Next size SUV up is much more expensive. This size SUV has been plenty big for us. Occasionally we may need a little more room so we rent a U Haul utility trailer for $15 a day. The only change we would make is to add a factory tow package. We added a U Haul after-market tow package when we redid our landscaping. My brother has a CRV and it does drive more car like smoother.

ncbill

Post by ncbill » Fri May 04, 2018 12:08 pm

midareff wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 9:38 am
lazydavid wrote:
midareff wrote:

Really? If you ask Edwards to find you a Saab Dealer the answer is this aren't any. Are there some locations that may have been Saab certified to do work, of course. Would you expect them to have factory trained technicians..... absolutely not. Would you recommend getting an Alfa Romeo based on its long term record in the US and it's historical record of supplying parts and service too? After 11 years in the rent-a-car business and another 30 in municipal fleet management I just might have a pretty good historical perspective of brands and equipment and what happens over time when they cease manufacture. If you want to buy a vehicle whose production has been stopped.. be my guest. I'm quite sure they won't be an easy top dollar resell when you are done with it too.
Here we see many TV ads for Mitsubishi.

But the local Mitsubishi dealership primarily sells Kia.

An online review of the dealership notes they only have Mitsubishi-certified techs available one day a week (travel from dealerships in larger cities)

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri May 04, 2018 12:26 pm

midareff wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 9:38 am
lazydavid wrote:
midareff wrote:

Yep, here's the dealer/service center that's 3 miles from my house: https://www.patrickcars.com/saab-service.htm You can find one near you using this tool. And again, this is a niche brand that was never very popular in the US. There are more Fusions on the road in North America than there are Saabs in the entire world.

That you bring in Alfa as a comparable to Ford when discussing major auto brands further underscores how absurd your premise is. Alfa has sold 2.3M total vehicles (all models combined) in North America over the past forty-six years. Ford has sold that many of one model being discontinued, over the last seven years. More units in its worst month than the entire Alfa brand in its best year.

If Ford went out of business entirely, you might have a point. But the vast majority of BogleHeads have cars that aren't manufactured anymore, either because that model is gone entirely, or has been completely redesigned. You don't see widespread posting about service challenges with them. My wife's 2007 RX350 shares almost no parts with the current model which is 2 generations newer. Likewise with my 2011 E90 3-series being almost entirely different than the current F30--they're not even close to the same size. And my father-in-law has a 2011 Nissan that sold a grand total of 5,769 units over the entirety of it's three year lifespan. We don't have a problem getting dealer parts/service for any of them.

I'm not the OP, so I'm not buying any of the vehicles getting discussed here. And you do have a point about resale value. But it's beyond absurd to suggest that it will be impossible to get factory service for one of Ford's discontinued sedans for three years after purchase.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Fri May 04, 2018 2:15 pm

I got my new Escape and I am very pleased with all of the safety features and how it handles. In Michigan I think we have the highest insurance cost in the nation as we have are a no fault state. I was paying about $2,000 a year for my Taurus with State Farm. The sales reps told me that I would get better mileage and lower insurance cost on the Escape.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Lynette