Should reliability rankings eliminate Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
JoeJohnson

Re: Should reliability rankings eliminate Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Post by JoeJohnson » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:15 pm

tadamsmar wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:21 am
Why are those reliability ratings not measured in dollars?

JD Powers gives you a integer number below 11, but what you really want to know is how much it's going to cost you.

I once bought a new Neon that ended up having a bad reliability rating. The bad reliability was a black dot in Consumer Report. From my experience, the black dot translated to about $150, no big deal. I had an oil seal problem that a dealer fixed for free even though it was out of warranty, and I even got a free oil change and filter out of the deal. And I had a paint problem that I got fixed for cheap.
Agree with the premise of what you're saying. Sample size of 1 is meaningless though.

ginmqi

Post by ginmqi » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:34 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 12:59 pm
We need to replace an old vehicle and a used (2016 most likely) Jeep Grand Cherokee is on our radar. The vehicle would most likely be out of warranty (except powertrain). I owned a JGC for 13 years until 3 years ago and had almost no problem with it. When I look at JD Power and Consumer Reports rating on reliability, Jeep comes in toward the bottom. There is not really a Toyota or Honda that is comparable (spouse is picky about look of vehicles so eyes will most likely be rolled at your other vehicle picks). The Ford Explorer we don't like as much looks wise and they are coming in at around $10k more for a comparable model. Opinions?

Just to add some info, they seem to be around $24k for a 2015-2016 AWD Limited with 40-50k miles. We did test drive a new one and it was around $43k sticker and TrueCar lists $38k.
FCA cars (Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep) are not known for generally higher reliability than avg. Clearly anecdotes are abundant in both extremes (very reliable Jeeps with minimal issues vs extremely unreliable Hondas/Toyotas).

One's financial situation would decide how much is a cars looks/options is worth the additional cost compared to generally more reliable, other brands.
JoeJohnson wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:15 pm
tadamsmar wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:21 am
Why are those reliability ratings not measured in dollars?

JD Powers gives you a integer number below 11, but what you really want to know is how much it's going to cost you.

I once bought a new Neon that ended up having a bad reliability rating. The bad reliability was a black dot in Consumer Report. From my experience, the black dot translated to about $150, no big deal. I had an oil seal problem that a dealer fixed for free even though it was out of warranty, and I even got a free oil change and filter out of the deal. And I had a paint problem that I got fixed for cheap.
Agree with the premise of what you're saying. Sample size of 1 is meaningless though.
Exactly.

I'm sure there are anecdotes of Honda/Toyota owners who have had numerous reliability issues....doesn't change the fact of overall data pointing towards more reliability for Honda/Toyota as a group vs say Dodge

RobLyons

Post by RobLyons » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:22 pm

Should reliability rankings eliminate JGC?

--> Depends on what is most important to you.

In life there are trade offs. Back when I was 16-22, all that mattered was fun, fast, excitement.
I paid for it in reliability.

Fast forward 15 years and it's reliability, fuel efficiency, dependability, long term maintenance costs, and being a little more"green"
No more muscle and sports cars, audio machines, more Toyota Prius.

Choose as you will
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"

sasquatch12

Post by sasquatch12 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:31 pm

At least it is not rated as bad as Landrover normally is at the bottom, although that does. To stop people from buying them. My friend bought too Land Rovers Range Roger Autoiography editions in a row and the first year they spent 4 and 5 months in the shop. The second one died on the freeway and almost got them killed, after that he switched brands.

I do know a few people that have Grand Cherokee’s from the last 3 years and they have had no issues at all.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:50 pm

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeep4Life

Post by Jeep4Life » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:58 pm

Bought a 2015 at Christmas 2017, no regrets. It's been on a couple of trips where it was more about comfort, but also a few hardcore 4WD trips where we had to have the capabilities that the JGC provides. The reliability numbers don't match my real world experiences with Jeeps, my guess is they are based on people who beat the trucks up as they don't really know how to drive them. I just sold my 1992 Wrangler, 190K miles, no problems other than old rubber in hoses and windscreen, can't help that because it slept outside most of the time.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:03 pm

I bought a Grand Cherokee for my son a few years ago.

My ownership experience can be summed up in two words - “Never again!”

I overlooked the reliability ranking of the Cherokee. I will never make that mistake again.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:43 am

Stinky wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:03 pm

I overlooked the reliability ranking of the Cherokee. I will never make that mistake again.
Could you share exactly what your experience was?

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:52 am

If your wife didn't mind the fit/finish of a 15+ year old Jeep then go ahead and replace it with another Jeep. It's kind of like a person who eats a hamburger every day of their life. Everyone knows that there is a lot better food out there but this person really likes hamburgers and they are cheap so why force them to eat steak.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:47 am

Bacchus01 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:43 am
Stinky wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:03 pm

Could you share exactly what your experience was?
We had the car for about 80,000 miles. During that time, we had a radiator leak in the seam that required a new radiator, a leak in the rear window weatherstrip that let rainwater into the back of the car, metal shavings in the transmission oil pan, a "clunking" noise in the front passenger area that no one could ever diagnose, a water pump, and a "transmission output sensor" (whatever that is).

We've had Hondas and Toyotas in our family for years, and a number of those have gone well over 80,000 miles with no where near the problems the Grand Cherokee had.

As I said above, I overlooked the reliability ranking of the Cherokee when I purchased the vehicle. Never again.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

drdrgolf

Post by drdrgolf » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:04 am

Much valuable info in previous posts, but the authors must be bachelors.
With regard to cars; Rule #1 in life; Happy wife=Happy Life.
Smile, say yes dear and move on.

Dominic (55 years of happy life)
Dominic

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:40 am

I guess I’m just not a “Jeep person”. I know people buy them and claim to like them, but I don’t understand it. The Jeeps I’ve rented or borrowed were consistently the worst cars I’ve ever been in. Harsh ride, slow, gas hogs, etc. Add the persistent reliability issues that Daimler-Chrysler has? Just no. Not for me.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:47 am

I think the answer to the question in the title is "Yes".

Yet, every Jeep made is sold (I think) to someone every year. Same for Datsun and Mitsubishi and Yugo.

Unless there is some process where un-sold vehicles are taken somewhere and dismantled/parted out or stripped down enough to be re-made as the next model year. I don't believe there is a process like this, yet I can't believe that every car made is sold. There are a lot of crappy cars made and sitting on lots.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

azanon

Post by azanon » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:03 pm

2012 VW GTI's have a "black dot" in reliability in consumer reports, and are in the "Used Cars to Avoid list", yet I am not aware of a single thing, no matter how small, that's wrong with my 2012 GTI.

Because of that, I can't really afford to sell it because even though I know nothings wrong with it, the resale value gets hammered because everyone assumes they're unreliable.

Like several have said, the gap in reliability is so narrow today, that I'd use that as a small item in vehicle comparisons, and not a be-all-end-all.

Teague

Post by Teague » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:14 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:40 am
Add the persistent reliability issues that Daimler-Chrysler has? Just no. Not for me.
Daimler-Chrysler? Oh, you don't have to worry about reliability problems in that regard anymore. That partnership ended in 2007. Chrysler has addressed those issues by merging with - wait for it - Fiat. :D

Still, I bought a 2019 Cherokee, because it will do what I need. For example it has 4WD and tow hooks, which I've already needed to use in a deep mud situation. And in general cars these days are so much more reliable than when I grew up, even a less reliable brand these days is far better than what I've learned to tolerate.
Semper Augustus

MikeMak27

Post by MikeMak27 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:18 pm

I own a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD and it has been a dream to own and maintain. Believe it or not, when I use cruise control on the highway, I average about 27 mpg. 2 thumbs up over here.
Mac 4 fund portfolio: 45% US small cap value (IJS, VBR), 40% Emerging Markets (IEMG, VWO, FPMAX), 10% long term US treasuries (TLT), 5% US REITS (VNQ)

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:20 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:47 am
...I can't believe that every car made is sold. There are a lot of crappy cars made and sitting on lots.
Reminds me of an old saying: "There is an_ass for every saddle."

reference: http://www.coolslang.com/Details.php?Sl ... ordID=2406

ncbill

Post by ncbill » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:49 pm

Fun to drive/off-road

Not very reliable.

Best to lease it...then return.