Have you quit eating sugar? Tell me how!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Pajamas

Re: Have you quit eating sugar? Tell me how!

Post by Pajamas » Wed May 02, 2018 10:04 am

Yes, simply substitute generic sucralose for sucrose.

grok87

Post by grok87 » Wed May 02, 2018 10:06 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 10:02 am
After reading Dr. Jason Fung [Google him], I understood that the goal is not as much to reduce blood sugar as to reduce blood insulin. Protein-rich food does not raise sugar but raises insulin. Thus, the advantages of Low-Carb, High-Fat diets as opposed to protein diets. High-fat food is effective in suppressing appetite. Good fats include coconut oil, ghee butter, olive oil, and nuts.
3 cheers for Dr. Fung. I have not watched it yet, but “The Magic Pill” on Netflix is highly recommended, and includes Dr. Fung.

My journey was to give up added sugar, sugar substitutes, and flour. Flour was the difficult one. People differ, but I find moderating intake doesn’t work for me. It’s easier to just tell myself: “I don’t eat that.” YMMV.

After a time of that new eating style, I added intermittent fasting, one meal a day. I eat mounds of healthy food in my one meal, in part to avoid a metabolism slowdown from calorie restriction.

I feel a lot happier and healthier. I have lost some weight, but that wasn’t the primary driver. I was using 90-110 units of insulin daily, and the dosage was increasing. I currently am using 5-15 units of insulin daily, and I think I’ll be completely off insulin later this year. At that point, I will probably do longer fasts.

While I haven’t lost that much weight, I have lost many inches off my belly. I celebrate Non Scale Victories (NSV), like taking a long energetic walk without being winded, fitting into pants I thought were in my past (4” smaller), feeling comfortable in my skin, discovering one morning that my skin tags are gone, etc.
Congratulations!
That is fantastic!
Cheers,
Grok
"...people always live for ever when there is any annuity to be paid them"- Jane Austen

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Wed May 02, 2018 10:19 am

I never used to be too big of a sugar junkie. I would generally pass on dessert, never bought a donut if I stopped for coffee, etc. But about 3 1/2 years ago I gave up alcohol. Since then I have become quite the sugar fiend. My theory is that my body is craving the sugar it no longer gets from maltose (beer) and whatever sugars are in wine (fructose?) I have also put on a few pounds in the belly. I exercise regularly, drink my coffee and iced tea without sugar and rarely drink sodas (and then generally Diet Coke). (I drink lotsa seltzer). But some amount of ice cream, cookies or, to a lesser extent, candy have almost become part of my "minimum daily requirement" of sustenance. Gotta do something about that.
Friar1610

BBBob

Post by BBBob » Wed May 02, 2018 10:48 am

investor4life wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 9:43 am
A small square of really dark chocolate (very low in sugar) twice a day helps keep my sugar craving at bay. Weirdly, eating a few baby carrots at various times of the day helps me, too. :happy
Good point. Try Choczero.com for monkfruit-sweetened chocolate. The 93%-cacao squares are awesome.
Last edited by BBBob on Wed May 02, 2018 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

LawyersGunsAndMoney

Post by LawyersGunsAndMoney » Wed May 02, 2018 11:08 am

I've been Keto for the past 2 years. Went from religiously monitoring macronutrient intake to doing essentially a version of "lazy keto"/Slow-carb where I'll occasionally consume legumes and a few other foods that have carbs but low glycemic indices.

Eliminating "sugar" is a good thing, but if your carb intake is still high that's just getting turned into glucose in your body anyhow and you'll have the same insulin spikes etc.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Wed May 02, 2018 11:13 am

LawyersGunsAndMoney wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 11:08 am
Eliminating "sugar" is a good thing, but if your carb intake is still high that's just getting turned into glucose in your body anyhow and you'll have the same insulin spikes etc.
Eating different forms of sugar affects insulin output differently, for instance drinking a soda will affect it differently than eating an apple. The "insulin spikes" would NOT be the same.

Even if you eat zero sugar and zero carbohydrates, your body will make sugar from proteins and fats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluconeogenesis

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed May 02, 2018 11:19 am

Pajamas wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 11:13 am
LawyersGunsAndMoney wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 11:08 am
Eating different forms of sugar affects insulin output differently, for instance drinking a soda will affect it differently than eating an apple. The "insulin spikes" would NOT be the same.

Even if you eat zero sugar and zero carbohydrates, your body will make sugar from proteins and fats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluconeogenesis
And then there is the reality that everybody responds to nutritional input differently. Although this is one of my favorite topics to discuss, this thread is probably bordering on getting shut down.

Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM » Wed May 02, 2018 11:22 am

I've reduced sugar by basically eliminating categories of foods and adding better ones, like more tea, legumes, whole fruit, veg. I used to eat rice but now find I prefer pasta with beans and vegetables. Real pasta made with semolina, whatever that is. As others have mentioned, a few nuts, one hard-boiled egg, or a fruit and cheese dessert cut out that craving for me. Starting with oatmeal and blueberries as the first meal is a huge help. Never thought I could eliminate sugar from oatmeal, but with the help of many, many berries I did.

My tests for I'm-not-eating-too-much sugar are (1) weight fluctuates by ounces instead of pounds;
(2) fresh fruit tastes sweet (my taste buds are not expecting the hypersweetness of sugar).

I break down occasionally and enjoy something like Trader Joe's Sumatra coffee brownies. I'm still in the grip of those and am likely to buy when they are there. But it has to be something really special, not an ordinary candy bar. When the novelty wears off I'll be able to ignore those brownies.

The sugar habit seems to be self-perpetuating, so a cold-turkey approach is more likely to succeed if you can summon the will power. Fear of cancer recurrence did it for me. It is harder if there is no specific reason except that you know you should.
17% cash 47% stock 36% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.85%

Flobes

Post by Flobes » Wed May 02, 2018 11:44 am

FeesR-BullNotBullish wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 7:39 am
Shamb3 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 9:24 pm
Complete a round of the whole 30 diet. If you already cook 95% of your food it shouldn't be much more work.
I second this. As luck would have it, today is day 29 of my second Whole 30. It's tough, but my sugar cravings finally went away a few days ago! My hope in doing this Whole 30 was to only take one cookie when there are dozens available. Prior to this Whole 30 I would graze and graze, and It was very difficult to detach myself from the sweets. I don't know how I'll handle myself when the Whole 30 is over, but I'm optimistic that I'll have better self control.

For those who aren't familiar - the Whole30 is a very strict program in which you eat whole foods and eliminate sugars, bread, beans, and dairy. You won't be hungry because the meals you do eat are filling with plenty of proteins, vegetables, and fats. It's difficult but at 30 days you can see the light at the end of the tunnel from day 1.
Whole30: I third this.

The concept: for 30 days, you completely avoid all the common trigger foods: dairy, grains, legumes, alcohol, junk, and added sugars. Then for 12 days you follow a path to brings back the restricted foods, one at a time, then revert to Whole30 days, to assess how they affect you.

Eat plenty of food, more than ample variety, and feel very satiated. Whole 30 resets your cravings and relationships with foods.

As a person who "ate healthy" it was idea challenging, restricting basics I'd considered wholesome like rice, beans, yogurt, whole grains, tofu, certain oils. Reading labels, I found added sugar in so many items.

It's a strict regimen. No exceptions are allowed. If you break the cycle, you restart the clock at Day One. There are excellent resource materials and books about the Whole30 program, with recipes aplenty online and on YouTube.

Part of why it's effective is there's no allowed workaround by substitution. For example, if pancakes are your calling, you cannot make pancakes out of ingredients that are otherwise Whole30 compliant.

I'm eight weeks apres conclusion of my first Whole30 adventure. I ate so much fat and animal protein; my cholesterol went down. I ate so much food, lost weight. Sleep better. More energy, less fatigue. I'm surprised by what foods unsettle my wellbeing, which I've tested and retested, and so they're now off my menu.

My sugar cravings are gone. There's fine chocolate in the pantry, and it's not singing to me. There's a full candy dish for guests; it's not even humming. There's ice cream in the freezer; no thank you. I am not the least bit tempted.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Wed May 02, 2018 11:45 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 8:42 am
What is your 4th metric?
It is artificial sweeteners, but I stopped tracking it since I haven't had it in months.

So just tracking good oils (no vegetable/soy oil), no sugar / juice (including sweet fruits like bananas), no grains.

I'd like to go free of dairy, but first I need to master the other habits, which I will likely not achieve in my lifetime.

greensky

Post by greensky » Wed May 02, 2018 11:52 am

Read Stop Smoking Now by Allen Carr and when he refers to smoking think of the sugar analog. This book will change how you see your sugar addition in a big way. I never smoked, but this book has a lot of parallels that I think make sense. It really is a good book for changing how you see your sugar addiction.

I do draw a line between processed sugars and natural sugars. Sweet potatoes are great for people as is fruit. Maybe they don't work for you, but I'd never advocate restricting fruits/vegetables. However you eat though the Allen Carr book is great.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Wed May 02, 2018 11:53 am

My experience (probably not transferable, but since you asked):

I loved sweet foods and soft drinks since early childhood. About 20 years ago I went on a low-carb diet and cut out all sweets. Have never liked artificial sweeteners and never used them. I found that I lost every bit of taste for sweets; I now abhor them. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for carbs. I have never been a big fruit eater, but probably eat about the same amount of fruits now that I have throughout my life. The taste for sweets not only left me but now disgusts me--not that I'm complaining.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed May 02, 2018 11:55 am

www.nutritionfacts.org search for "sugar" and related

I eat a lot of whole fruit - fresh, dried, frozen - and have close to zero desire for refined sugar of any kind - including things like honey. I have also eliminated other sweeteners as well.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Wed May 02, 2018 12:29 pm

We noticed a long time ago that most prepared foods come already with plenty of salt and sugar, so we no longer have salt shakers and sugar containers in our kitchen. I.e. I never drink coffee with sugar and we never add salt to a meal, it's a good habit.

We also do not drink any of these sugary soft drinks, sodas, there is no Pepsi, Coca Cola, etc. in the house. I noticed that most people drinking those are also obese.
Last edited by likegarden on Wed May 02, 2018 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva » Wed May 02, 2018 12:33 pm

Get a copy of "The Beck Diet Solution" - it's not a diet, but instead prepares you for dietary changes through Cognitive Therapy techniques. Chapter 6 covers the topics of hunger tolerance and overcoming cravings. Great resource.

sperry8

Post by sperry8 » Wed May 02, 2018 12:34 pm

Runner01 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 9:39 pm
Why limit your intake of whole fruit? Ever meet a fat person that blames it on too many bananas? I guess if eating fruit leads you to eating candy then I can see why you would want to limit your intake.
Exactly. There is nothing wrong with sugar that comes packaged without mans touch. However, when humans involve ourselves in the process - that's where it gets dicey. Even juicing removes fiber and nutrients and leaves a sugar blast. And added processed sugar, that's another thing entirely.

Sugar is addictive. Your body has a similar reaction to sugar as it would to other addictive substances. So willpower just won't do. You need to employ techniques similarly to how you would with other addictive substances.
Humbling BH contest results: 2017: #516 of 647 | 2016: #121 of 610 | 2015: #18 of 552 | 2014: #225 of 503 | 2013: #383 of 433 | 2012: #366 of 410 | 2011: #113 of 369 | 2010: #53 of 282

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Wed May 02, 2018 12:43 pm

dm200 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 11:55 am
I eat a lot of whole fruit - fresh, dried, frozen - and have close to zero desire for refined sugar of any kind - including things like honey. I have also eliminated other sweeteners as well.
If you eat dried fruit, no wonder you don't have any desire for refined sugar. Dried fruit contains a lot of sugar, mostly fructose and glucose. Raisins are something are 60-70% sugar by weight, for example. Eating dried fruit is in some ways no different than eating refined sugar, which is fructose and glucose combined into sucrose.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed May 02, 2018 12:46 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 12:43 pm
dm200 wrote:
If you eat dried fruit, no wonder you don't have any desire for refined sugar. Dried fruit contains a lot of sugar, mostly fructose and glucose. Raisins are something are 60-70% sugar by weight, for example. Eating dried fruit is in some ways no different than eating refined sugar, which is fructose and glucose combined into sucrose.
Yes .. very healthful - according to the credible things I read and, mostly, follow...

Church Lady

Post by Church Lady » Wed May 02, 2018 1:05 pm

1.Go cold turkey.
2.Avoid watching programs like "The Great British Baking Show", "Food Network", "Baking with Julia", "Barbeque Masters", and so forth. Go to youtube and watch videos of anorexics juicing aloe vera leaves and grinding their own soymilk. :D
(No, seriously, that Great British Baking Show is a killer. It made me want to bake stuff I'm not supposed to eat. I had to stop watching)

Good luck!
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity. Ecclesiastes 1:8

rec7

Post by rec7 » Wed May 02, 2018 1:05 pm

BogleMelon wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 8:54 am
Sugar is hard to resist. But I started with eliminating soda, then reduce the sugar amount in my coffee and tea very slowly and over long time. Now I drink coffee with no sugar. I don't mind tons of fruit, the water in it will get you full before the sugar surges in your blood. Ice cream is a problem so i started to buy those small cups and mini sizes. You can buy mini candy as well.
It all start with the brain. My brain becomes trained to feel the dangers of every bite of junk food I eat.
+1 That is what I did with soda coffee and tea. The sodas you just stop but to drink coffee or tea without sugar that took me awhile. I did over a couple months. I like the other guys idea of very dark chocolate with low sugar for the candy loves. I was lucky I was not a big candy person even as a kid.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 » Wed May 02, 2018 1:10 pm

There are lots of ways to become healthier and if cutting out all sugars doesn't work for you may I recommend a different approach?

About a year ago my husband came back from the first physical he'd had in years to find that his total cholesterol was at 290. He was 5'10 and 150lbs, works out every day, runs and lifts weights. We were shocked. We ate a high protein, low carb diet and had for years, neither one of us was overweight.

After watching Forks Over Knives on Netflix we decided to try a plant-based diet and gradually cut out meat. Occasionally we eat fish but mostly we stick to a vegetarian diet, including carbs we used to avoid like pasta and multigrain bread. I make berry smoothies in the morning which I would have avoided like the plague for years.

My husband's cholesterol is at 170. Mine is at 150 and my last blood pressure reading was 100/72. I've lost 10lbs and I'm so less inflamed that my shoes are all too big, I wasn't overweight to begin with. My husband has only lost 5lbs but he was thin to begin with and makes sure he gets enough calories.

Keto diets totally work, but if you really love sugar from bread and pasta, you may find a plant-based diet works for you too.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed May 02, 2018 1:11 pm

Isabelle77 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 1:10 pm
There are lots of ways to become healthier and if cutting out all sugars doesn't work for you may I recommend a different approach?

About a year ago my husband came back from the first physical he'd had in years to find that his total cholesterol was at 290. He was 5'10 and 150lbs, works out every day, runs and lifts weights. We were shocked. We ate a high protein, low carb diet and had for years, neither one of us was overweight.

After watching Forks Over Knives on Netflix we decided to try a plant-based diet and gradually cut out meat. Occasionally we eat fish but mostly we stick to a vegetarian diet, including carbs we used to avoid like pasta and multigrain bread. I make berry smoothies in the morning which I would have avoided like the plague for years.

My husband's cholesterol is at 170. Mine is at 150 and my last blood pressure reading was 100/72. I've lost 10lbs and I'm so less inflamed that my shoes are all too big, I wasn't overweight to begin with. My husband has only lost 5lbs but he was thin to begin with and makes sure he gets enough calories.

Keto diets totally work, but if you really love sugar from bread and pasta, you may find a plant-based diet works for you too.
www.nutritionfacts.org

Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 » Wed May 02, 2018 1:17 pm

dm200 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 1:11 pm
Isabelle77 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 1:10 pm

www.nutritionfacts.org
Yes, we are fans of the site!

c1over8

Post by c1over8 » Wed May 02, 2018 1:23 pm

I have been sugar free for 3 months. Unfortunately the only thing that got me over the hump was that I was preparing for a medical procedure, research indicated being sugar free (and low carb but not keto) helps, and the cost of the procedure and desire to not have to undergo it again (hello needle phobia) motivated me to to do it. I've cut out all added sugar and sugar substitutes, but still eat fruit. I'm not sure I would have been able to do it without that motivation.

The first month was the hardest, but now I don't really crave sweets unless I see a commercial or something and then it is fleeting.

I suggest that you remove candy and products with sugar from your home (for me out of sight out of mind helps). You will have to read every label at the beginning so you can replace products with sugar free versions (replacing my Jiff w Smuckers made with only peanuts and salt took some getting used to). Have a plan for when you need to eat out. My spouse went sugar free as well and our extended family knows we are sugar free and are supportive and willing to go to restaurants where we can easily pick sugar free options. Making sure I eat enough so that I don't wind up starving and reaching for an old sweet go to snack is key. I eat fruit but avoid juices, if you eat fruit you need the fiber.

To add to all the posts about intermittent fasting, I eat lunch about 12, a snack around 3/4, and dinner at 7 and that's it. If weight loss is the goal, I lost about 16 pounds over 3 months. I eat less than 40% carbs (I don't count net carbs), 25-30% protein, and the rest fat and have not restricted calories, although I believe my calorie intake has reduce just by virtue of it takes less calories of chicken, beans, fruits, and veggies to make me feel satiated than it would if I was eating junk food. The only exercise is walking ~5 times a week.

I'm going to go one more month sugar free and then start adding it back in. Moderation is the long term goal, but I had to go all the way sugar free to get started (and for the procedure). I hope to stick to a plan to eat sweets/dessert at birthday celebrations (I'm not invited to that many), holidays, and a treat once a month. Time will tell if that works...

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Wed May 02, 2018 1:28 pm

rec7 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 1:05 pm
BogleMelon wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 8:54 am
Sugar is hard to resist. But I started with eliminating soda, then reduce the sugar amount in my coffee and tea very slowly and over long time. Now I drink coffee with no sugar. I don't mind tons of fruit, the water in it will get you full before the sugar surges in your blood. Ice cream is a problem so i started to buy those small cups and mini sizes. You can buy mini candy as well.
It all start with the brain. My brain becomes trained to feel the dangers of every bite of junk food I eat.
+1 That is what I did with soda coffee and tea. The sodas you just stop but to drink coffee or tea without sugar that took me awhile. I did over a couple months. I like the other guys idea of very dark chocolate with low sugar for the candy loves. I was lucky I was not a big candy person even as a kid.
I went "cold turkey" when I started a low-carb diet--drank nothing but water for a few weeks IIRC. I felt miserable for 2-4 weeks--very irritable. Not going back to soft drinks was easy for me, but unsweetened tea and coffee did take a little while--especially coffee. But after nothing but water, sugarless tea did start to taste better. Eventually coffee did also.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Wed May 02, 2018 1:49 pm

I had a long-running addiction to Diet Peach Snapple. That was difficult to cut out, but my attempts to keep myself to one or two bottles a day convinced me that, for me, only cold turkey would work. After that lesson, I worked on other things. Bread and pasta (and NYC bagels) are missed, but I feel WAY better.

RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL » Wed May 02, 2018 1:57 pm

Singlemoi wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 9:15 pm

What helped you get over the hump (say, the 3pm craving or that time of the month craving (if you are a woman) or just a "i've got to have it now or I'll die feeling")?

What worked for you and how long have you been sugar -free? Thank you.
Thanks to Singlemoi for posting topic this in a format that has allowed it to stay.

Being diabetic, I already passed that point to no return. However just taking more med's is not the answer either. I'm glad to hear many other talk their personal situations/experiences/strategies.

Most important item for me was learning what ding's me and avoid those as much as possible. That took several years and is a continuing effort. I wish I had done years before it became critical. Many processed/prepared foods are bad for me, yet others work OK even though they could be bad. Each of us is different. None of us are perfect.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed May 02, 2018 2:20 pm

dm200 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 12:46 pm
Pajamas wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 12:43 pm
dm200 wrote:
Yes .. very healthful - according to the credible things I read and, mostly, follow...
Without responding with a subjective and very vague definition of "healthy", why not attempt to explain how Pajamas is wrong? The purpose of dried fruit is to provide a ton of quickly available energy, in a very condensed form. If you can eat a very small amount, great, but most people get into blood glucose regulation and satiety trouble when they regularly integrate it into their diet.

Quantum

Post by Quantum » Wed May 02, 2018 2:24 pm

fizxman wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 7:48 am
<...>
Was this weight loss achieved through diet alone or was exercise involved too? If you exercised, how much? In my opinion, these are impressive numbers, even with exercise!
For me it is strictly diet. (Can't outrun or outlift a bad diet)
I do walk after lunch for 15 min, but not at any sort of stressful pace.

I did try doing a 5x5 lifting routine (I have done really well on that in the past) but it left me very hungry after a couple of weeks and for some reason my sugar cravings ratched up (explosive movements want to be run off a glucose metabolism).

April to April loss was just about 1lb/week with a small stall in November and December.

Easiest diet I have ever tried, and I feel the best I have. Sinus problems cleared up, all my bloodwork normalized. I had scary high triglycerides all my life (like my mother, a genetic issue) and for the first time my numbers are in the normal range.

I don't feel like eating all the time, which is the best thing.

For the first 8 months I tracked food religiously, and once I got a good idea of what I could eat that would not put me over 20-30 net carbs a day, I have stopped tracking, and my weight loss has accelerated. I think this is because when I had a caloric goal, I ate to that goal even if I was not hungry and could get by with less.

In all, I do not see any reason to go off this way of eating in general, but I have no qualms about eating my birthday cake... I just have to put up with feeling poor for a day or two afterwards.
“The advantage always favors the one who is trying to create fear, over the one who is trying to erase it.” | Howard R. Hughes JR.

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Wed May 02, 2018 3:15 pm

Whole food plant based vegan here. Was very obese before - lots of health issues.
Lost close to half the weight and feel great.
Love my food.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

buccimane

Post by buccimane » Wed May 02, 2018 3:18 pm

greensky wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 11:52 am
Read Stop Smoking Now by Allen Carr and when he refers to smoking think of the sugar analog. This book will change how you see your sugar addition in a big way. I never smoked, but this book has a lot of parallels that I think make sense. It really is a good book for changing how you see your sugar addiction.

I do draw a line between processed sugars and natural sugars. Sweet potatoes are great for people as is fruit. Maybe they don't work for you, but I'd never advocate restricting fruits/vegetables. However you eat though the Allen Carr book is great.

I can attest...to the smoking aspect. If you look way back in my posts, I had mentioned vaping in lieu of smoking... Then I inevitably just got hooked on vaping.. I read Stop Smoking Now and haven't used tobacco since putting the book down some ~5 months ago.
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still

ReadyOrNot

Post by ReadyOrNot » Wed May 02, 2018 3:33 pm

Not clear if you are really eating candy (bad), or just lots of blueberries (probably fine). If blueberries satisfy you, shouldn't that be enough? And if the sweet potatos are fine except for sleepiness, isn't that OK too?
If Hashimoto's is a thyroid condition that causes cravings, you probably need to treat that before you can expect normal results from your diet.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed May 02, 2018 3:41 pm

Moderation and self control. Not eating any sugar at all isn't achievable. Which means it will fail at some point. Which means that just eating a little here and there works. :wink:

Maybe you don't for a week or a month or a year. Having a Hershey's Kiss or a Resees Peanut Butter cup or a small piece of cake is a treat.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed May 02, 2018 3:46 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 3:41 pm
Moderation and self control. Not eating any sugar at all isn't achievable. Which means it will fail at some point. Which means that just eating a little here and there works. :wink:

Maybe you don't for a week or a month or a year. Having a Hershey's Kiss or a Resees Peanut Butter cup or a small piece of cake is a treat.
In my opinion, the issue is "added sugar". Fortunately, the new nutrition labeling in the US now makes that sugar distinction :)

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed May 02, 2018 3:52 pm

dm200 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 3:46 pm
bloom2708 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 3:41 pm

In my opinion, the issue is "added sugar". Fortunately, the new nutrition labeling in the US now makes that sugar distinction :)
I understand that. Not eating any sugar (no fruits or vegetables) or anything with natural occurring sugar could be deadly.

Not eating any, any "added sugar" is also subject to high failure. Again, you can do it for a day, week, month. It just doesn't seem like a worthy or achievable goal long term. Less, sure. Low amounts, yes. None, zero. People can sure try. We won't know if they succeed or fail.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

Reubin

Post by Reubin » Wed May 02, 2018 3:53 pm

Peanut butter, the natural kind like Smuckers, is about the only thing that stops my sugar cravings. It has plenty of protein in it too.

BBBob

Post by BBBob » Wed May 02, 2018 4:27 pm

I see some info on here that I think is incorrect re sugar and sugar withdrawal. A good starting place is WebMD. See, for example,

https://blogs.webmd.com/pamela-peeke-md ... ction.html

I have read that refined sugar lights up the same neuro receptors as cocaine; if you think if it in those terms, you will appreciate the use of subsitutes like berries, dates and other fruits with naturally occurring small amounts of fructose that evolution has prepared your body for fails to have the glycemic affects and cravings that come with all the "sugary foods" that we find so addictive.

grok87

Post by grok87 » Wed May 02, 2018 4:41 pm

Reubin wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 3:53 pm
Peanut butter, the natural kind like Smuckers, is about the only thing that stops my sugar cravings. It has plenty of protein in it too.
+1

Obviously the kind with no added sugar
"...people always live for ever when there is any annuity to be paid them"- Jane Austen

grok87

Post by grok87 » Wed May 02, 2018 4:42 pm

Morse Code wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 9:45 am
grok87 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 7:05 am
nativenewenglander wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 5:45 am
Quantum wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 2:54 am
I have been on Keto for a year. Under 20 net carbs per day, but good veggies, fat, protein etc. I have dropped 56 lb.
First week sucked so bad due to keto flu and sugar withdrawal. 2nd week sucked 80% as bad. Third week I felt awesome. About a month in my sugar craving disappeared. It only comes back if I eat too many carbs (above 50) or something that spikes my blood sugar.

You just have to throw out all the crap with carbs in it, and commit to 20 g net carbs a day for a month, come hell or high water, and keep your sodium and potassium up as you will flush a lot of water as you burn through your glycogen stores.

Half measures will not cut it, and “low carb” is not low enough to remove the cravings and set your metabolism to burn ketones rather than sugar.
This is basically me since Christmas. I'm down 25 lbs as of now. I did have ice cream one night at my birthday and then we traveled a few weeks ago. We had Mexican food with lots of carbs, the next two days I was a zombie, couldn't think straight, low energy. That was a huge wake up call this was the right diet for me as I haven't felt this good in years. My wife is struggling with cutting out sugar and carbs, she sees what's happened to me, but doesn't have my willpower. She can do it and so can you it's hard. Look towards your goal of being healthier and don't let anything in your way. Get all the junk out of your house that's the only way I think. Good luck we're rooting for you.
So i’m In a similar place now to nativenewenglander and quantum. Down about 45 lbs over The past 9 months or so. Basically carb free but I cheat wiTh whole grains, quinoa/barley about once a week. I also cheat with some fruit once in a while- mostly pineapple.

To the op, you have to find what works for you. My advice based on what worked for me

1) I dropped the fruit- fruit is sugar.

2) the first week is the hardest. It’s not just about willpower. You need to give your body time to adjust to lack of sugar. Your gut bacteria will change. You won’t crave sugar anymore.

3) when I was hungry for sugar I would eat hard boiled eggs with butter. It helped.

4) drink lots and lots of water.

5) blackstrap molasses and lemon juice.

Hope this helps

Cheers,
Grok
+1 Lost 25 pounds this way. Back to my high school weight. You are addicted to carbs, not just sugar. If you just eliminate sugar, but not other high carbs from your diet, you won't beat it. It's like replacing tobacco cigarettes with vaping and getting frustrated because you still crave nicotine.
Congrats on the weight loss!

Meaty

Post by Meaty » Wed May 02, 2018 4:48 pm

Singlemoi wrote:
I want to preface this post by saying that except for my apparent sugar addiction I eat very healthy.

I cook from scratch 95% of my food, nothing comes from boxes , most of it is organic/free-range/grass-fed, etc.
Majority of my food is composed of the reasonable amounts of protein (baked, sauteed) and fresh or sauteed green veggies.
I quit most dairy with the exception of asplash of H&H in coffee and I do not eat grains save for (again, occasional) sushi.
I don't drink alcohol or sodas or juices - water, lemon water, coffee and green tea.

However, I find myself unable to resist sugar (candy that is), and, frankly, this lack of will power pisses me off.
Roar!!!
Sorry, I could not put it in a nicer way. I am tremendously annoyed at myself for giving in to this addiction.
I suspect I have a bit of a hypoglycemia going, but I don't want this topic to be closed, so let's leave that out.

Moderation will not work because I noticed that eating "a little bit" sweets wakes up a super sugar monster. I notice that sweet potatoes make me sleepy, a bottle of beer will knock me out and most fruits make me want to eat more. I am limiting myself to blueberries for high ORAC content, but I can't stop at eating one cup when I do.

I don't want to be a slave to sugar, even if it comes in a "natural" package like fruit.

Have you made the sugar monster submit to your will?
What helped you get over the hump (say, the 3pm craving or that time of the month craving (if you are a woman) or just a "i've got to have it now or I'll die feeling")?
(For those who will suggest keto, I can't do it due to hashimotos.)
I’ve stopped eating sugar. How? I stopped eating it
"Discipline equals Freedom" - Jocko Willink

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Wed May 02, 2018 4:58 pm

Major sweet tooth and indulged in cookies, cakes, ice cream for over 50 years. I quit eating sugar cold turkey to reduce inflammation that was causing some health issue. Lost 20 pounds in 30 days, inflammation was reduced significantly in 3 weeks and I feel great and do not miss sugar at all.

Dave

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Wed May 02, 2018 5:17 pm

Its crazy how people still think fruit is good for you. Its pure sugar. Your body cannot tell the difference between sugar from a soda or from an apple.

Juicing is even worse. You're getting everything in liquid so you can consume much much more. Its so terrible...dont do it.

Not to mention sugar inflames your body. You get "sugar" crashes. Guys...stop eating sugar. Its addictive.

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Wed May 02, 2018 5:28 pm

ponyboy wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 5:17 pm
Its crazy how people still think fruit is good for you. Its pure sugar. Your body cannot tell the difference between sugar from a soda or from an apple.

Juicing is even worse. You're getting everything in liquid so you can consume much much more. Its so terrible...dont do it.

Not to mention sugar inflames your body. You get "sugar" crashes. Guys...stop eating sugar. Its addictive.
It's not crazy.

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/if-fru ... out-fruit/
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

veindoc

Post by veindoc » Wed May 02, 2018 6:50 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 8:33 am
Additional suggestions to the OP:
- Experiment with spices and herbs such as cinnamon, turmeric, nutmeg, and others. I put them into my tea, along with a bit of cayenne, and it suppresses my appetite for hours.
- Experiment with drinking water or tea with apple cider vinegar.

Victoria
I have the same problem as you. I eat tons of fruit and veggies, lean meats etc but just love/loved sugar. If I didn’t stock the bad stuff I didn’t eat it, but I needed the sweetened beverages. Couldn’t stand plain water or coffee without sugar.

Ultimately I quit cold turkey. It was awful initially but I’ve gotten used to it. I do occasionally have ice cream with the kids but that need for a daily something is gone. With regard to the beverages what I found was that by adding cinnamon to my coffee as Victoria suggested with half-n-half did the trick.

Also I found herbal tea cured my need for lemonade or apple juice or whatever sweetened beverage I craved.

Now a days I get my sugar from fruit, but nothing added.

And with that I lost 10 pounds.

I would like to lose an additional ten, but I suspect portion control and/or exercise will be needed.

Singlemoi

Post by Singlemoi » Wed May 02, 2018 7:43 pm

climber2020 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 7:07 am
Singlemoi wrote:

What's your end goal? Are you overweight due to the excess sugar intake?
My end goal is not a weight loss. Rather, it is reduction in inflammation that sugar causes to the body and, just as importantly (if not more so) mastery of Self. Sounds lofty, but, as I said, it upsets me that I am a slave to sugar.

Singlemoi

Post by Singlemoi » Wed May 02, 2018 7:56 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 8:33 am

- Experiment with drinking water or tea with apple cider vinegar.

Victoria
Victoria, why apple cider vinegar (rather than lemon, for instance)? Thank you.

Singlemoi

Post by Singlemoi » Wed May 02, 2018 7:58 pm

HomerJ wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 8:49 am
This. I'm curious to the OP... If you eat 95% healthy, what's wrong with some sugar and some candy?
[/quote]

Because of how it makes me feel- sleepy, sluggish, craving for more.
Because i realize that sugar creates inflammation in the body.
Because (most importantly for me)- I feel as though I am giving in ...not in control of my actions.

Singlemoi

Post by Singlemoi » Wed May 02, 2018 8:03 pm

DesertDiva wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 12:33 pm
Get a copy of "The Beck Diet Solution" - it's not a diet, but instead prepares you for dietary changes through Cognitive Therapy techniques. Chapter 6 covers the topics of hunger tolerance and overcoming cravings. Great resource.
Thank you very much for this recommendation. I'd love to tackle it from all ends.

Singlemoi

Post by Singlemoi » Wed May 02, 2018 8:17 pm

Thank you all for sharing your stories and your suggestions. One of the major things I didn't realize was that it might take me a whole month or more (rather than a few days) to tackle this issue. Having that expectation will make things less frustrating.
My diet is already incredibly clean , so an extra step towards Whole30 seems like a logical thing to do.
Keto and IF definitely warrant more research on my end. As does the mental component (thank you for those book recommendations).

And to those who inquired, there is probably nothing wrong with the occasional chocolate. However, I'd like to get to the point where it is a "take it or leave it" proposition rather than a pavlov's dog salivating position. :happy

ScooterBob

Post by ScooterBob » Wed May 02, 2018 8:50 pm

The way to stop (or at least cut WAY back) eating sugar? Go get your fasting glucose checked. If it comes back above 100 you'll be motivated to get it and most everything else that makes your blood glucose spike out of your diet. Think wheat bread...that will make it spike more than you can imagine. I've done tests on myself and you'd be amazed. I had "highish" fasting glucose a couple years ago and it scared the crap out of me. We had a cat that was full blown diabetic for 6 years and I saw what he went through. That was motivation enough...

And to the OP, (and anyone else) check out the Wheatbelly books by Dr. William Davis, MD.

Bob