Where to babymoon?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
NoGambleNoFuture

Where to babymoon?

Post by NoGambleNoFuture » Tue May 01, 2018 8:55 pm

Wife is pregnant and expecting late August - so we're looking to take a small, 5day or so, vacation to relax prior to the babies arrival.

Historically travel to exotic beaches every year as well as numerous places we've never been before... that's typically our jam. Open to wherever but ideally not too far of travel from Austin, TX as we don't have too much time and don't want to waste it traveling.

Looking to go early/mid-June.

Early leaders are Mrytle Beach, Bermuda, and Vancouver. +/- of each? Recommend one over the over? Recommend somewhere else?

Was initially planning between Aruba and Turks this summer but now need to fade Zika :)

ResearchMed

Re: Where to babymoon?

Post by ResearchMed » Tue May 01, 2018 9:02 pm

NoGambleNoFuture wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 8:55 pm
Wife is pregnant and expecting late August - so we're looking to take a small, 5day or so, vacation to relax prior to the babies arrival.

Historically travel to exotic beaches every year as well as numerous places we've never been before... that's typically our jam. Open to wherever but ideally not too far of travel from Austin, TX as we don't have too much time and don't want to waste it traveling.

Early leaders are Mrytle Beach, Bermuda, and Vancouver. +/- of each? Recommend one over the over? Recommend somewhere else?

Was initially planning between Aruba and Turks this summer but now need to fade Zika :)
If you were planning a warm/beach trip, then I'd vote for Bermuda.

We've gone there several times, and stayed at the Fairmont Southampton.
It's not right on the beach, which we initially expected to be a non-starter, one-time stay.
However, they have their little shuttle buses running all the time, and there's never much of a wait.
And they have a lovely private beach, right next to Horseshoe Bay (huge public beach), but the Fairmont's is slightly sheltered by some huge rocks (they do not interfere with water fun!), so it's got a bit less surf, IF there is much surf at all.
GORGEOUS water!

And there is a huge pool right at the hotel, with very warm water.

It's a "beach hotel", so don't expect the cushy 5-star ambiance of a city hotel.
There *will* probably be children around, unless you go during "school", but we've not found them to be troublesome, unlike at some other properties.

Their Gold Level will pamper you with non-stop treats, all included.

Otherwise, in Vancouver, we love the Fairmont Pacific Rim.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Erwin007

Post by Erwin007 » Tue May 01, 2018 10:11 pm

NoGambleNoFuture wrote:

Those are three drastically different places (I’m assuming Vancouver means Vancouver BC). I haven’t been to Bermuda but have been to Myrtle Beach and Vancouver. You wouldn’t catch me dead in Myrtle Beach in June and I doubt that it would be the relaxing vacation you are looking for. Myrtle Beach is crowded and loud. Better destinations near there would be Charleston (lots of great beaches) or Hilton Head (much more secluded than Charleston and especially Myrtle Beach) or even the Outer Banks.

Depending on what you like to do, Vancouver could be good. Spend a few days in Vancouver and then take the ferry over to Victoria. There’s a great aquarium in Vancouver, the Butchart Gardens and BC museum in Victoria and plenty of good food in both places.

clown

Post by clown » Tue May 01, 2018 10:17 pm

How about the beaches on the east coast of Texas. Can't remember many names, but they would be closer to home. The only name that comes to mind is South Padre Island https://www.sopadre.com/things-to-do/

dziuniek

Post by dziuniek » Tue May 01, 2018 10:21 pm

One vote for Bermuda, but we've been 5 times already so... yeah.
(one of those times my wife was pregnant)

buzzbuzzbuzz

Post by buzzbuzzbuzz » Tue May 01, 2018 10:23 pm

We're doing our babymoon in Bermuda over Memorial Day weekend, staying at the Princess Hamilton and couldn't be more excited. Other places we've looked at are Sedona and Big Sur, but BM seemed to be the most relaxing of the three, given the other two would involve a decent amount of walking/hiking.

bb86731

Post by bb86731 » Tue May 01, 2018 11:21 pm

I agree with the other poster that those are drastically different destinations. As a South Carolinian, it's funny seeing Myrtle Beach on the same list as Vancouver and Bermuda. Myrtle Beach is pretty crowded and touristy. I do think we have great beaches here, though. My wife and I are doing a babymoon at Seabrook Island in June. We found a great Airbnb for a week. Seabrook and Kiawah are near Charleston and are both great spots. Edisto, Isle of Palms, and Wild Dunes are all near Charleston as well and are worth checking out. If you want to look around Myrtle Beach, check out Murrell's Inlet, Litchfield, and Pawley's Island.

Topic Author
NoGambleNoFuture

Post by NoGambleNoFuture » Tue May 01, 2018 11:31 pm

clown wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 10:17 pm
How about the beaches on the east coast of Texas. Can't remember many names, but they would be closer to home. The only name that comes to mind is South Padre Island https://www.sopadre.com/things-to-do/
Born and raised miles from SPI and will be down there the next three weekends so not looking to vacation there, too :) Also, well be lathered up when outside and not trying to toy with Zika.

Topic Author
NoGambleNoFuture

Post by NoGambleNoFuture » Tue May 01, 2018 11:33 pm

buzzbuzzbuzz wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 10:23 pm
We're doing our babymoon in Bermuda over Memorial Day weekend, staying at the Princess Hamilton and couldn't be more excited. Other places we've looked at are Sedona and Big Sur, but BM seemed to be the most relaxing of the three, given the other two would involve a decent amount of walking/hiking.
Kind of what I'm thinking as well. Been wanting to go to Vancouver for awhile but really just want to kick back and relax... and not certain how much we could enjoy Vancouver from a resort. Will look into Princess Hamilton now!

amindu

Post by amindu » Wed May 02, 2018 12:02 am

Might want to check out Grand Cayman. They are not on the CDC list for Zika and 7 mike beach is usually rated as one of the top beaches in the Caribbean.

Chris K Jones

Post by Chris K Jones » Wed May 02, 2018 6:26 am

Your wife will be very pregnant and uncomfortable in heat. Head north. Vancouver, Montreal or Quebec City if of any interest. Have fun and congratulations.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Wed May 02, 2018 7:09 am

Yeah, with a pregnant wife myself, due this summer, I'd head north instead of south.

Vancouver would be great.
Banff/Lake Louise with a stay at the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise would be fantastic.
Carmel-By-The-Sea/Monterey/Big Sur California

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Wed May 02, 2018 7:37 am

It is tough to beat Vancouver and Vancouver Island but I would not want to travel that far - and through Customs and huge airports - while 7 months pregnant. Perhaps that's just me.

A little closer to home - coastal Oregon is both fascinating and beautiful. Still the flying while pregnant issue, but probably much less of it.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed May 02, 2018 7:55 am

In terms of "less flying", which is certainly understandable (not-pregnant, but especially pregnant), what about Southern California beach area, such as La Jolla?
Should have a better chance of sun than Oregon coast or other Pacific NW areas.

There are lots of other choices along the coast, of course.

Are you looking for a full service hotel, or a cabin (or apartment/condo) where you can cook?

I'd recommend a place where your wife can truly *relax*, with full services.
Perhaps some place where breakfast is included and can be served "in bed", but you could then spend less for other meals by going out of the hotel, etc., if there are other places nearby.

RM

just frank

Post by just frank » Wed May 02, 2018 8:13 am

We went to Madrid and Barcelona for our babymoon...really great trip BUT ended up having the baby prematurely in Madrid at 26 weeks, and living there for three months.

:shock:

SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent » Wed May 02, 2018 8:15 am

Wherever she wants to go.

jambadoc

Post by jambadoc » Wed May 02, 2018 8:18 am

From personal experience my wife was not interested in being in tropical climates baking in the sun at 7 months pregnant. She was hot an uncomfortable enough as it was. She would have chosen Vancouver. YMMV.

focusedonwhatmatters

Post by focusedonwhatmatters » Wed May 02, 2018 12:47 pm

removed
Last edited by focusedonwhatmatters on Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

travelnut11

Post by travelnut11 » Wed May 02, 2018 1:57 pm

just frank wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 8:13 am
We went to Madrid and Barcelona for our babymoon...really great trip BUT ended up having the baby prematurely in Madrid at 26 weeks, and living there for three months.

Wow, that's a heck of a story! I assume baby and mom ended up all OK?
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrowmindedness ...and many of our people need it solely on these accounts. - Mark Twain | | Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing. - Helen Keller

malabargold

Post by malabargold » Wed May 02, 2018 2:30 pm

Relax where you are.
Save the $ and stick it in a trust or 529.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed May 02, 2018 2:31 pm

Five day cruise to Bermuda from Baltimore..

Topic Author
NoGambleNoFuture

Post by NoGambleNoFuture » Wed May 02, 2018 4:46 pm

malabargold wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 2:30 pm
Relax where you are.
Save the $ and stick it in a trust or 529.
This is about as far from what I'm going to do as possible... I'm actually looking to blow a few k celebrating and relaxing with the wife. I can relax where I am when I'm dead. :sharebeer

Topic Author
NoGambleNoFuture

Post by NoGambleNoFuture » Wed May 02, 2018 4:47 pm

dm200 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 2:31 pm
Thinking about this option as well!

Anyone ever been with a relatively pregnant woman on a cruise? :)

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed May 02, 2018 4:50 pm

NoGambleNoFuture wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 4:47 pm
dm200 wrote:
Thinking about this option as well!
No .. but check it out. Takes about 2 days at sea going and coming back. I would be very sure that in Bermuda healthcare is quite good - as in Baltimore.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed May 02, 2018 5:02 pm

Hopefully this is your third, or fourth child so your wife knows how she will feel at 7 months pregnant.
Otherwise, she could end up like many, hot/ill/miserable-feeling at 7 months - last place she might want to be is on a beach. Make sure the room is nice and they have good room-service.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Wed May 02, 2018 5:16 pm

NoGambleNoFuture wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 4:47 pm
What is "relatively pregnant"? I'm intrigued.

I probably would not do a cruise unless she is sure that nausea would not be a problem. And how can a person be sure about that?

Maybe a river cruise where she could actually get off if it because just too uncomfortable.

just frank

Post by just frank » Wed May 02, 2018 8:02 pm

travelnut11 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 1:57 pm
just frank wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 8:13 am

Wow, that's a heck of a story! I assume baby and mom ended up all OK?
Yup. Kid is currently doing drivers ed.

il0kin

Post by il0kin » Wed May 02, 2018 8:31 pm

I don't believe your wife will be able to fly that far along nor is it a wise idea to travel away from your primary OB and NICUs who are closely familiar with the pregnancy. You are already well past babymoon time, under 20 weeks is as late as you should do that really. Do you really want to gamble on the NICU being quality (and close by) if your little one shows up at 32 weeks over a 5 day vacation? They probably won't transfer your kid home to Texas.

Put the money aside for a trip w/ baby next summer when everyone is happy and healthy.

Topic Author
NoGambleNoFuture

Post by NoGambleNoFuture » Wed May 02, 2018 9:48 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 5:02 pm
Hopefully this is your third, or fourth child so your wife knows how she will feel at 7 months pregnant.
Otherwise, she could end up like many, hot/ill/miserable-feeling at 7 months - last place she might want to be is on a beach. Make sure the room is nice and they have good room-service.
We hiked up inspiration point in Santa Barbara last week and she didn't think it was challenging enough so she jogged the mile and a half down... we also live in Texas year round where it's not unheard of to be 100+ for 100+ days straight.

Granted, she's not been pregnant... but we're planning on enjoying the high-end resort life and we're not planning on going anywhere sans AC

tech_arch

Post by tech_arch » Wed May 02, 2018 9:54 pm

dm200 wrote:
Cruises are great for relaxing since everything is taken care of. Be careful about the sailing cut-off date, though - pretty much every cruise line will deny you boarding if you enter your 24th week of pregnancy before the cruise ends.

remomnyc

Post by remomnyc » Wed May 02, 2018 9:56 pm

Where does your wife want to go? We ended up going to the Seychelles when I was 7 mos pregnant because the trip was booked a year in advance, when I wasn't pregnant. I had zero desire to go anywhere. I certainly did not want to go somewhere hot. All I wanted to do was sit in air-conditioning and be comfortable.

kenoryan

Post by kenoryan » Wed May 02, 2018 10:00 pm

Lake Travis!

celia

Post by celia » Thu May 03, 2018 1:50 am

NoGambleNoFuture wrote:
I understand that when there are multiple babies, they arrive sooner than 9 months, possibly even at 7. Personally, I would stay close to home. Do you know how many babies you are expecting?

PJmillennial

Post by PJmillennial » Thu May 03, 2018 6:44 am

My wife is a real trooper who manages the heat well and generally doesn't complain. With that said, she was miserable from about 7.5 months to full term with our first because of the heat in July. I couldn't imagine her enjoying going anywhere warmer even if she got to sit in the shade and sip lemonade. Even sleep gets uncomfortable in the later stages of pregnancy so keep that in mind on where you stay.

It is not recommended for women to fly during their third trimester if I remember what the doctor said.

Congratulation on the inbound bundle of joy.

NewPhoneWhoDis

Post by NewPhoneWhoDis » Thu May 03, 2018 11:31 am

We are due in late September and are heading to Sedona next week for a 5 day get away.

greg24

Post by greg24 » Thu May 03, 2018 1:00 pm

By 7 months, my wife was MUCH more interested in an afternoon on the couch than traveling.

celia

Post by celia » Thu May 03, 2018 1:56 pm

NoGambleNoFuture wrote:
...Open to wherever but ideally not too far of travel from Austin, TX as we don't have too much time and don't want to waste it traveling.
I agree you shouldn't go too far, like to...
Mrytle Beach, Bermuda, and Vancouver.
Instead, just drive to your local beach and play it by ear. You can't plan very much when plans are subject to change at any time (when close to full term).

Better yet, use your time off of work to help out after the babies are born.

gretah

Post by gretah » Fri May 04, 2018 2:40 pm

Summers are glorious in the Pacific Northwest. Sun sets around 9:30pm. Sunrise is around 5am.

How about Seattle for a few days then take the catamaran to Victoria, BC, for a few more?

The 3-hour trip through Puget Sound is lovely and beautiful.
https://www.clippervacations.com/vessel-information/

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri May 04, 2018 3:21 pm

gretah wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 2:40 pm
Summers are glorious in the Pacific Northwest. Sun sets around 9:30pm. Sunrise is around 5am.

How about Seattle for a few days then take the catamaran to Victoria, BC, for a few more?

The 3-hour trip through Puget Sound is lovely and beautiful.
https://www.clippervacations.com/vessel-information/
Thank you for this information about the passenger ferries between Seattle and Victoria.

We have a conference in Vancouver every year, and next year we planned to include a side trip to Victoria.
It will also be so much easier to fly to or from Seattle for one of the directions, with non-stops available, instead of the connection required to get to Vancouver.

Then we'd take the ferry between Victoria and Vancouver.

Sounds like fun!

RM