Asheville, NC Visit

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LuigiLikesPizza

Asheville, NC Visit

Post by LuigiLikesPizza » Tue May 01, 2018 10:55 am

Heading to Asheville NC this summer for a concert. We'll have some flexibility in our schedule, anything else we should check out while there? We're granola types, love the outdoors, so looks like we'll fit right in.

Thanks

renue74

Re: Asheville, NC Visit

Post by renue74 » Tue May 01, 2018 11:10 am

I live about 2 hours from Asheville. If you're a "granola" type, Asheville is your mother ship.

There are tons of things to do. The city has evolved into a brewery & food mecca. (More brewery than food)

There are tours you can go on. The Sierra Nevada brewery is absolutely HUGE and super nice. Even if you don't go on a tour, they have a bar, really decent food, outdoor stuff around the brewery, etc. It's good for an afternoon.

Of course, there is the Biltmore House. I went has a kid on school field trips. Great house and the grounds are immaculate. They also have a winery there and I've heard the wine tasting tours are good. (I never been)

Tons of hiking is close by. Pisgah National Forest.

There's a Mast General Store there. Old hardware type stuff. Great candy selection. We always go with our kids when we visit.

In general, the area is extra granola-y. You'll find plenty to do!

22twain

Post by 22twain » Tue May 01, 2018 11:23 am

If you have a car, enough time (about a half day) and decent weather, you can drive northeast along the Blue Ridge Parkway to the highest point east of the Mississippi, the top of Mt. Mitchell, with a stop at Craggy Gardens along the way.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

chisey

Post by chisey » Tue May 01, 2018 11:33 am

LuigiLikesPizza wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 10:55 am
Heading to Asheville NC this summer for a concert. We'll have some flexibility in our schedule, anything else we should check out while there? We're granola types, love the outdoors, so looks like we'll fit right in.

Thanks
You will love Asheville. As renue74 mentioned, there are tons of breweries and while the food at Sierra Nevada is great and the facility is amazing, there are many better beers to be had at the smaller breweries in the area. You don't have to leave downtown to find more beer than you can drink in a weekend.

Asheville's farm-to-table eateries are phenomenal and the city is crawling with them. Sunny Point cafe is a personal favorite for breakfast, and Pack's Tavern is great for dinner.

As for things to do, definitely go hiking and my favorite area is down in the Brevard area in Transylvania county, where there are tons of beautiful waterfalls. Biltmore is something to see at least once, and the gardens and walking trails there are quite pretty as well. The winery is very average but a tasting can still be fun. If you want entertainment/culture, see if anything is playing at the Flat Rock Playhouse in Hendersonville.

Asheville is a perfect weekend visit and pretty much anyone can find things to love there.

BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger » Tue May 01, 2018 11:34 am

I've been zip lining and white water (mild) rafting in Ashville. Both were AWESOME!

elcadarj

Post by elcadarj » Tue May 01, 2018 11:38 am

The Asheville food and beverage scene is great. +1 on Sierra Nevada but if you don’t want to leave town you have Wicked Weed, Green Man, New Belgium, Highlands, and the list goes on. At one time Asheville had the highest brewery count per capita in the country.

Since you will be there in the summer, a float on the French Broad would be a must: https://rootsrated.com/stories/tubing-f ... cals-guide

A little pricy but great atmosphere is to have cocktails or brunch on the Sunset Terrace at the Grove Park Inn.

Judsen

Post by Judsen » Tue May 01, 2018 12:02 pm

Asheville is such a fun place, very artsy! On Broadway there is a JAZZ club "Tressa's". Been there many times.
Be the change you want to see in the world

caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore » Tue May 01, 2018 12:08 pm

Great food in Asheville. If you like Spanish, Curate can't be beat. It's headed up by two El Bulli alums. Also love the Admiral and it's dive bar vibe (but great food).

TnGuy

Post by TnGuy » Tue May 01, 2018 12:08 pm

"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Tue May 01, 2018 12:13 pm

There's a drum circle on Friday nights in downtown that's fun to watch for a few minutes and also a lady who regularly sits on a bench outside The Noodle House with her top exposed. Funny to see people's reactions as they walk by.

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Tue May 01, 2018 8:37 pm

thomas wolfe house
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue May 01, 2018 11:28 pm

LuigiLikesPizza wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 10:55 am
...this summer....
Wrong season for zombies.

One of the most bizzare things we have ever run into was that we were on a totally unrelated vacation and ended up in Asheville one Saturday night. Parking was hard to find but there were not a lot of people in the streets. It turned out that was the night of the annual zombie walk which had been planned long in advance to end outside the convention center. That was an election year and Sarah Palin was having a last minute campaign rally at the same convention center. We walked over there and the rally had already started but outside the convention center there was a crowd of zombies milling about, and also a crowd of "right to life" protesters standing around trying to ignore the zombies. The mixture of "right to life" people with the walking dead raises all sorts of complex philosophical questions.

We were sitting next to a zombie watching what was going on. It turned out that he was one of the organizers and he had actually contacted the Secret Service a few days before to let them know there there would be several hundred zombies there at the same time as Sarah Palin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asheville_Zombie_Walk

bb86731

Post by bb86731 » Wed May 02, 2018 12:01 am

Lots of excellent restaurants. I'd check out Curate, Nightbell, Bull and Beggar, Rubarb, and Limones. The first 3 are probably my favorites. The craft beer scene is great as well.

Larry2623

Post by Larry2623 » Wed May 02, 2018 12:51 am

Try Tupelo Honey Cafe for breakfast for brunch if you can't make it early Dinner is good too!

danielrhall

Post by danielrhall » Wed May 02, 2018 9:30 am

Given it'll be summer, you love the outdoors and have a flexible schedule, you might like to do something my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed in Asheville last August. We tubed the French Broad River. The company we used provided everything and the rate was reasonable. They had two routes, both of which go through the center of town. The river temperature was comfortable and the flow was moving fairly slowly but there were a few brief but exciting 'rapids' (big ripples, really). Out float lasted two hours. I'd do it again.

I definitely recommend driving at least some of the Blue Ridge Parkway...it's beautiful.

TheGoober

Post by TheGoober » Wed May 02, 2018 9:56 am

Best brewery in Asheville is Burial. Buxton Hall BBQ is a short walk away and is fantastic. Absolutely eat at Curate.

TSR

Post by TSR » Wed May 02, 2018 10:31 am

Go ahead and get a reservation for The Admiral today. One of the better meals I've had in my life, at a pretty reasonable price. The other option is to go in there right when they open and you can probably get a seat at the bar. But seriously, that's the spot for food.

3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR » Wed May 02, 2018 4:16 pm

Drive to Franklin, NC via I 40 and Hwy 74 and 23, its about a 50 minute drive to Franklin. From Franklin, head toward Highlands on Highway 64 and be prepared to be amazed at the waterfalls and scenery. When you're finished being amazed, you should continue on 64 to Brevard and then back to Asheville from Brevard. If you drive straight through (which you won't) it is about 2 hours of driving for your planning purposes. Plan on spending some time stopping to look, hike etc between Franklin and Highlands. Highlands is a great village, lots of cool places to eat lunch or dinner.

Its important to drive the direction I outline for the best views on the Franklin to Highlands part of the drive. Possibly the most beautiful piece of road in the US.

oysterboy

Post by oysterboy » Wed May 02, 2018 6:52 pm

There are spectacular sunrises on the Blue Ridge Parkway not far from Asheville. The Pounding Mill Overlook and the East Fork Overlook are the best spots, particularly for photography. You can find these by Googling the BRP. A great morning is to take in the sunrise and then have breakfast at the Pisgah Inn, one of the very few eateries on the entire BRP, which has fabulous vistas from the dining room. There is a nice hike from Looking Glass Overlook (in the same vicinity) to Skinny Dip Falls, one of the more beautiful waterfalls in the region.

The entire region is famous for its crafts (pottery, textiles, sophisticated woodwork and metalwork) and it is well worthwhile to seek some of the shops carrying the works of local craftsmen.

Since you are granola types, you'll enjoy breakfast at Early Girl in the heart of downtown. As mentioned several times above, Curate' is a first tier restaurant (lots of deserved press in NYT, Bon App, etc.) and The Admiral is superb as well (though not health-centric).

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Wed May 02, 2018 7:38 pm

Short day trips from Asheville for hiking/outdoors:

Linville Falls trail off the Blue Ridge Parkway
Chimney Rock State Park and Lake Lure

palaheel

Post by palaheel » Wed May 02, 2018 8:04 pm

summer stock:

https://www.flatrockplayhouse.org/

http://parkwayplayhouse.com/

Mt Mitchell, highest point east of the Mississippi

Cherokee, Unto These Hills drama
Markets crash. Markets recover. Inflation takes your money FOREVER.