Home Health Aids Cincinnati

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
captpete

Home Health Aids Cincinnati

Post by captpete » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:11 am

Hello Everyone,

This site has become my go to for just about everything so I thought I would give this a try.

Anyone on here have any positive/negative experience with Cincinnati based Home Health Aids for the elderly? We are in need of bathing, feeding, help getting into wheelchair and into bath, help spotting while trying to use the walker, we could even use some help cleaning the house.

This is for my father and stepmother. He is elderly and in bad health, my step mom is unable to keep up with the house and do all the things he needs. The family is chipping in when when we can but we all have jobs and families of our own to deal with. Granted we have committed to take shifts helping out.

He has tried nursing homes but we have not had luck with finding one that suits him. Probably because he is taken such good care of at home with family waiting on him but that is becoming somewhat impossible to keep up with.

His condition is terminal cancer. He has been given 6-12 months to live, but no one really knows.
Any suggestions/similar experiences are appreciated.

THanks again BH community

jhfenton

Re: Home Health Aids Cincinnati

Post by jhfenton » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:49 am

I would start with the Council on Aging of Southwest Ohio. ProSeniors can also help if there are any legal or long-term care issues.

I don't have any personal experience dealing with home care, but I used to work as an attorney for ProSeniors, so I had a lot of clients dealing with the home care providers and nursing homes.

I wish you and your family the best.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:29 am

A few more suggestions:
1) There is a post from about a month that focuses on using care.com. I would look at it.
2) Talk. Talk to neighbors, co-workers, congregants and let them all know. I have found the most qualified people at the best cost this way.
3) If you use an agency, there will be restrictions. For instance, a home health aide will not be able to help with medications. Two people might be required if the patient can not assist with transferring.
4) In one case, we used a combination of options. We arranged for an agency to provide someone for a couple hours a day. This person could do bathing and other more skilled and strenuous care tasks. We also had them do cleaning tasks when time permitted. We arranged other hours to be covered either directly with a CNA or by family.
5) Given the terminal diagnosis, please explore the hospice benefits if you have not done so. It is best to do this before a crisis. Also, Medicare hospice can pay for things like home health aide visits and hospital beds. And if hospice restricts desired care, see if palliative care benefits would be available and helpful.

captpete

Post by captpete » Tue May 15, 2018 12:49 pm

Thanks guys. I'll look into these. sorry to be so late in responding I didn't see these responses.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Tue May 15, 2018 6:34 pm

We used a company called Home Instead for my mother and father in law. They were good overall; some caregivers were better than others and / or just a better fit, but you could request the same caregiver if you found one you really liked and they would try to accommodate the request.