Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
User avatar
fishandgolf
Posts: 330
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:50 pm

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by fishandgolf » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:58 pm

CurlyDave wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:31 am
Living in a rural community, Amazon is where its at for almost anything I can get from them. Local stores are expensive and have very limited selection.

Even for things that the Walmart in town carries, I just go to Amazon and put it in the shopping cart. The trip to town is 10 miles each way, so the time and gas savings are substantial.

$20 per year extra for prime is a fleabite.

Plus, anything I don't like I can send back. Never a problem.
+1000

Could not agree more. Being in a rural area Amazon Prime is the way to go for us. As much stuff as DW buys for the grand kids....that xtra $20.00 has probably already paid for itself..........Oh.....I think that's the UPS driver at the door right now! :sharebeer

Ninnie
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:17 pm

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by Ninnie » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:37 pm

zoneinfo wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:36 am
I found that Amazon now has a big problem with counterfeit merchandise that I simply don't have to worry about when I shop with their competitors.
It would be interesting to know how much of a problem this really is. I recently read a bunch of articles on this subject with plenty of anecdotal examples, but as a percentage of sales it's hard to know what it really means.

I think some types of items are smart to avoid like athletic shoes, watches, handbags, cosmetics and supplements. Obviously you need to check the track-record of the third-party seller. But I have had really good luck with many third-party sellers so it's unfair to malign them all. In fact, often things arrive packaged better than directly from Amazon. I can think of one item (a vegetable peeler) that maybe was fake - I just asked for a refund and that was that. Everything else seems to have been real, as far as I can tell.

User avatar
FrugalYankee
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:08 pm

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by FrugalYankee » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:41 pm

I don’t enjoy shopping in physical stores. I plan to renew my Prime membership even with the increase.

SlowMovingInvestor
Posts: 617
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:27 am

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:51 pm

tesuzuki2002 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:32 pm
rolandtorres wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:40 pm
Like cable increases, the $119 increase is because of the costs of licensing content for Prime Video and Prime Music. https://nypost.com/2018/04/11/why-amazo ... be-a-flop/ says they are they're spending up to $1B on a Lord of the Rings show alone. Wish they had a shipping-only option back at $79 without that.
The prime membership fee generates $11.9 Billion in revenue per month for the company.... I think they are ok spending $1B on LOTR.
Although one has to wonder about the profile margins on that $11.9B/month

I think that Amazon is really an IT company that offers cloud based services at very high margins, sells some avertising at high margins, sells a few gadgets it makes itself mostly at cost, and runs a retail business (online and now offline as well) that is barely profitable :) :)

User avatar
JMacDonald
Posts: 2092
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:53 pm

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by JMacDonald » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:56 pm

SlowMovingInvestor wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:51 pm
tesuzuki2002 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:32 pm
rolandtorres wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:40 pm
Like cable increases, the $119 increase is because of the costs of licensing content for Prime Video and Prime Music. https://nypost.com/2018/04/11/why-amazo ... be-a-flop/ says they are they're spending up to $1B on a Lord of the Rings show alone. Wish they had a shipping-only option back at $79 without that.
The prime membership fee generates $11.9 Billion in revenue per month for the company.... I think they are ok spending $1B on LOTR.
Although one has to wonder about the profile margins on that $11.9B/month

I think that Amazon is really an IT company that offers cloud based services at very high margins, sells some avertising at high margins, sells a few gadgets it makes itself mostly at cost, and runs a retail business (online and now offline as well) that is barely profitable :) :)
Here is an interesting article about Amazon:
http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik ... story.html
Best Wishes, | Joe

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 2992
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by munemaker » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:12 pm

We share a membership with other family members, so only feel a fraction of that. Still, even if I was paying the full boat, I wouldn't be deterred. It's peanuts.

dustinst22
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:09 pm

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by dustinst22 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:28 pm

We purchase enough on Amazon that its worthwhile given their CC gives 5% back. The credit card rewards alone cover the membership cost pretty quickly. We also use their video content a lot since we cut the cable cord many years ago.
Last edited by dustinst22 on Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kjvmartin
Posts: 1149
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:57 am

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by kjvmartin » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:30 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:26 am

I just maneuvered back onto a $39.99/mo internet package so in total we will now pay $49.99/mo for internet, amazon TV, amazon prime music, and Netflix. I have a deal with my mom—I pay for Amazon she pays for Netflix and we share the passwords.
So you're stealing from Amazon and Netflix.

dustinst22
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:09 pm

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by dustinst22 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:31 pm

Ninnie wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:37 pm
zoneinfo wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:36 am
I found that Amazon now has a big problem with counterfeit merchandise that I simply don't have to worry about when I shop with their competitors.
It would be interesting to know how much of a problem this really is. I recently read a bunch of articles on this subject with plenty of anecdotal examples, but as a percentage of sales it's hard to know what it really means.

I think some types of items are smart to avoid like athletic shoes, watches, handbags, cosmetics and supplements. Obviously you need to check the track-record of the third-party seller. But I have had really good luck with many third-party sellers so it's unfair to malign them all. In fact, often things arrive packaged better than directly from Amazon. I can think of one item (a vegetable peeler) that maybe was fake - I just asked for a refund and that was that. Everything else seems to have been real, as far as I can tell.

Best way to protect against this is to scan the reviews, the seller ratings, and fakespot.com.

Jags4186
Posts: 2119
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by Jags4186 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:04 am

kjvmartin wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:30 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:26 am

I just maneuvered back onto a $39.99/mo internet package so in total we will now pay $49.99/mo for internet, amazon TV, amazon prime music, and Netflix. I have a deal with my mom—I pay for Amazon she pays for Netflix and we share the passwords.
So you're stealing from Amazon and Netflix.
No I'm just stealing from Netflix.

VaR
Posts: 487
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:27 pm

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by VaR » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:49 am

Rob5TCP wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:07 am
For the video alone, Prime is worth $12 per month.
Plus, on most orders, I am not in a hurry. For every package I accept NOT to be delivered in 2 days, I get a $1 credit.
That has paid for many of the non-prime movies I've ordered this year.
I consider it to be a good value for me.
The hassle of taking a bus to Best Buy or driving to Walmart offsets any (if any) price differential).
This is me too!

I have also had the occasion to use the special one-day shipping rates for items I've forgotten when doing a home improvement project.

As other have said, I use their 5% back store card as well.

I'm sticking with it. I still like Netflix streaming video offerings better, but getting Netflix + Amazon Prime Video + a few others has enabled us to cut the cord without too much hand-wringing.

zoneinfo
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:32 pm

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by zoneinfo » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:32 am

Ninnie wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:37 pm
zoneinfo wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:36 am
I found that Amazon now has a big problem with counterfeit merchandise that I simply don't have to worry about when I shop with their competitors.
It would be interesting to know how much of a problem this really is. I recently read a bunch of articles on this subject with plenty of anecdotal examples, but as a percentage of sales it's hard to know what it really means.

I think some types of items are smart to avoid like athletic shoes, watches, handbags, cosmetics and supplements. Obviously you need to check the track-record of the third-party seller. But I have had really good luck with many third-party sellers so it's unfair to malign them all. In fact, often things arrive packaged better than directly from Amazon. I can think of one item (a vegetable peeler) that maybe was fake - I just asked for a refund and that was that. Everything else seems to have been real, as far as I can tell.
Checking track-record isn't enough unfortunately; nor is excluding Amazon marketplace sellers entirely. Do a search on Amazon inventory commingling. You can order from Amazon itself and still end up with knock-off pet food, jeans, kids toys, batteries, and electronics.

JoeRetire
Posts: 880
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by JoeRetire » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:18 am

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:20 pm
JoeRetire wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:59 am
WhiteMaxima wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:50 am
My local B&M store pays real estate tax and payroll tax to local service. Why not Amazon?
Amazon pays real estate tax and payroll tax for all of their warehouse/brick and mortar locations. And if your "local B&M store" sells books online, they don't pay real estate or payroll taxes for all their delivery locations - just like any other vendor.

Big box stores like Barnes and Noble and Borders put a dent in actual local mom and pop bookstores when they were the new thing. Now the tables have turned.
And so it goes...
I want Amazon to pay my local tax to support my community not big box warehouse in other place.
Then you should encourage Amazon to open a physical location in your community. Just like any other business - they only pay local taxes in communities in which they are actually located.

User avatar
pennstater2005
Posts: 2449
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:50 pm

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by pennstater2005 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:24 am

I'm an add on member for the shipping only benefits. I don't buy nearly as much as I used to from Amazon. I don't know why. I think I'm just spending less. And there's so many third party options to buy from now who offer free shipping albeit slower most of the time. But as some have said above Prime deliveries aren't always two days anymore.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

User avatar
heartwood
Posts: 1192
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by heartwood » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:34 am

bombcar wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:29 am
I have Amazon Student Prime (see, continuing education is worth it!) and mainly what I do is take their $1 digital credit offer each time to not ship 2nd day.

I get more than $49/year in credits from that alone.
I checked Amazon and while there's a signup for Student Prime I can't find an explanation of terms.

I have a .edu email account. Is that sufficient?

Broken Man 1999
Posts: 1129
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:53 am

I use enough of the various services for it to be useful.

I have tried the "same day" and the "two hour" deliveries and they have worked out. I wouldn't use the expedited delivery regularly if there was a charge. I ordered an item that needed to be kept cold for the first time yesterday, and I was impressed at the packaging, no chance to go bad for hours. I was home to receive delivery, so it didn't really matter, but it is good to know your cold items can survive in most cases.

I watch a lot of prime video and listen to a lot of prime music, works for me.

We are near two distribution warehouses, so the vast majority of items ordered reaches us within the commitment time.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Bob-a-job
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 6:25 am
Location: NH

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by Bob-a-job » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:06 am

dustinst22 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:28 pm
We purchase enough on Amazon that its worthwhile given their CC gives 5% back. The credit card rewards alone cover the membership cost pretty quickly. We also use their video content a lot since we cut the cable cord many years ago.
+1 Yes! Compare the cost of Prime with Netflix!

neilpilot
Posts: 1619
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: Memphis area

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by neilpilot » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:24 am

tesuzuki2002 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:32 pm
rolandtorres wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:40 pm
Like cable increases, the $119 increase is because of the costs of licensing content for Prime Video and Prime Music. https://nypost.com/2018/04/11/why-amazo ... be-a-flop/ says they are they're spending up to $1B on a Lord of the Rings show alone. Wish they had a shipping-only option back at $79 without that.
The prime membership fee generates $11.9 Billion in revenue per month for the company.... I think they are ok spending $1B on LOTR.
As I understand it, "The prime membership fee generates $11.9 Billion in revenue per month year." A bit less than you've stated.

SrGrumpy
Posts: 698
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by SrGrumpy » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:39 am

Youngblood wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:25 am

I've always enjoyed reading the reviews on Amazon (not prime dependent) but after watching my grandson establish
his account and get initial reviews (from relatives and friends) I'm now dubious about relying on them as much as I did in
the past.
Ha! Kudos to your grandson. I put a lot of thought into my reviews, and my book reviews are better than the NY Times'. But I also spend a lot of time flagging all the fake reviews from fake accounts - "bought this for my husband, he loves it," etc. - to no avail. So it's all a bit pointless. And it's not just an Amazon problem.

WestUniversity
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:27 am

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by WestUniversity » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:14 am

tuningfork wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:01 pm
It's only the second time Amazon has increased the cost of its annual Prime membership since it was first introduced in 2005, with the company in 2014 raising the price to $99 from $79.
Once again, Amazon missed the obvious. The price should be a prime number as it originally was. 79 is a prime number. 99 is not. 119 is not. My inner geek is sad.
Love it! :D

Katietsu
Posts: 1429
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:48 am

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by Katietsu » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:26 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:04 am
kjvmartin wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:30 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:26 am

I just maneuvered back onto a $39.99/mo internet package so in total we will now pay $49.99/mo for internet, amazon TV, amazon prime music, and Netflix. I have a deal with my mom—I pay for Amazon she pays for Netflix and we share the passwords.
So you're stealing from Amazon and Netflix.
No I'm just stealing from Netflix.
While some services have stayed silent on the issue of password sharing and others have explicitly banned it, Netflix and Amazon do permit the use as described.

squirm
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by squirm » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:31 am

I'll try and offset the $20 by cutting elsewhere...or maybe just drop prime...we'll see. I like Amazon, wish I purchased the stock even when Henry said to buy at $400.

User avatar
Nicolas
Posts: 945
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by Nicolas » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:19 pm

The music streaming service "Amazon Prime Music" which is included with Prime membership at no extra charge offers only two million songs, too few for my tastes. It sounds like a lot until you consider that Spotify and Apple Music each offer tens of millions. There will be major holes in such a catalog.

To get a comparable music streaming service on Amazon, "Amazon Music Unlimited", one must pay an additional $7.99 a month for Prime members ($9.99 for non-Prime members). I took a three-month trial of Unlimited recently and found there were albums missing from that service that were present on Spotify.

So their music streaming service isn''t enough (for me) to justify Prime. As for their video streaming service, it's inferior to Netflix.

User avatar
fandango
Posts: 490
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Greater Atlanta area

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by fandango » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:47 pm

I might pay the $119 , but I am thinking about dropping Amazon altogether.

"2 day shipping" has evolved to "3 or 4 day shipping maybe", and the value isn't what it used to be.

It all started when they began using the USPS for shipping. I had a package hung up in the Atlanta USPS central distribution center for 30 days. They kept telling me "it will get there". One year later, and I still haven't seen it!

Of course, I got my money back, but customer service continues to deteriorate.

Lynette
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:47 am

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by Lynette » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:25 pm

I think it is a great service and would pay even more for it. I don't like shopping and even when I am in a store I often cannot find something or someone to tell me where to find it. I have had no problem with the two day delivery or customer service.

tmcc
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:38 pm

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by tmcc » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:26 pm

I have a personal problem with the scale of amazon's operation. I am not renewing prime and I avoid buying anything from them if possible.

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 2992
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by munemaker » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:06 pm

heartwood wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:34 am
bombcar wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:29 am
I have Amazon Student Prime (see, continuing education is worth it!) and mainly what I do is take their $1 digital credit offer each time to not ship 2nd day.

I get more than $49/year in credits from that alone.
I checked Amazon and while there's a signup for Student Prime I can't find an explanation of terms.

I have a .edu email account. Is that sufficient?
Doesn't everyone at a university have an .edu email account? You could be admin staff, a professor or the university president. So I don't think an .edu address would prove you are a student. How could it?

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 2992
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by munemaker » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:09 pm

fandango wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:47 pm

It all started when they began using the USPS for shipping.
I also wish they did not send me stuff by USPS. Since they are footing the bill, I guess I have to put up with it.

runner3081
Posts: 1334
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by runner3081 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:45 am

Yes, I am finally cancelling. Many of the types of items I used to order are now "add-on" and don't ship for free anyways.

It also sounds like The Grand Tour is being cancelled.

Just not worth the value anymore. To be honest, if they kept it at $99, we would have just stayed. With the bump, it is now more like $125 after tax and it pushed me to take action and cancel the auto-renew.

ncbill
Posts: 304
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:03 pm

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by ncbill » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:09 am

Keeping Prime at the new price.

Dropping Netflix, as I don't stream much, considering I currently have 750+ hours of video on my Tivo DVRs.

Kids watched Netflix but as far as I'm concerned they can switch over to Amazon, unless they want to pay for their own Netflix account.

WhiteMaxima
Posts: 1107
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:04 pm

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by WhiteMaxima » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:21 am

JoeRetire wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:18 am
WhiteMaxima wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:20 pm
JoeRetire wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:59 am
WhiteMaxima wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:50 am
My local B&M store pays real estate tax and payroll tax to local service. Why not Amazon?
Amazon pays real estate tax and payroll tax for all of their warehouse/brick and mortar locations. And if your "local B&M store" sells books online, they don't pay real estate or payroll taxes for all their delivery locations - just like any other vendor.

Big box stores like Barnes and Noble and Borders put a dent in actual local mom and pop bookstores when they were the new thing. Now the tables have turned.
And so it goes...
I want Amazon to pay my local tax to support my community not big box warehouse in other place.
Then you should encourage Amazon to open a physical location in your community. Just like any other business - they only pay local taxes in communities in which they are actually located.
The local B&M store is a show case of the merchant. You can see and touch or even play before you buy. Amazon is a E-commerce retailer which don't have its own show room. People look and B&M store and buy at Amazon for a couple penny and huge sales tax savings. Don't think its a fair playing ground. Once Amazon wipe out all B&M stores, consumer will see price increase. That's what it's doing now: raise membership fee.

JoeRetire
Posts: 880
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by JoeRetire » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:56 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:21 am
The local B&M store is a show case of the merchant. You can see and touch or even play before you buy. Amazon is a E-commerce retailer which don't have its own show room. People look and B&M store and buy at Amazon for a couple penny and huge sales tax savings. Don't think its a fair playing ground. Once Amazon wipe out all B&M stores, consumer will see price increase. That's what it's doing now: raise membership fee.
Amazon itself doesn't require any membership fees - only Prime.

And as I've already indicated, Amazon already collects sales tax on their merchandise in every state having a sales tax. It's only the 3rd-party merchants who choose to sell their products on Amazon's platform who sometimes choose not to collect sales tax. Many of those merchants are the same vendors who have brick and mortar stores - perhaps even in your own community.

I assume you are against ALL e-commerce retailers, like Walmart, Target, Barnes and Noble, etc?

WhiteMaxima
Posts: 1107
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:04 pm

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by WhiteMaxima » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:20 pm

JoeRetire wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:56 pm
WhiteMaxima wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:21 am
The local B&M store is a show case of the merchant. You can see and touch or even play before you buy. Amazon is a E-commerce retailer which don't have its own show room. People look and B&M store and buy at Amazon for a couple penny and huge sales tax savings. Don't think its a fair playing ground. Once Amazon wipe out all B&M stores, consumer will see price increase. That's what it's doing now: raise membership fee.
Amazon itself doesn't require any membership fees - only Prime.

And as I've already indicated, Amazon already collects sales tax on their merchandise in every state having a sales tax. It's only the 3rd-party merchants who choose to sell their products on Amazon's platform who sometimes choose not to collect sales tax. Many of those merchants are the same vendors who have brick and mortar stores - perhaps even in your own community.

I assume you are against ALL e-commerce retailers, like Walmart, Target, Barnes and Noble, etc?
I am not against E-commerce. I am for a leveled playing field. B&M paying real estate tax, E-commerce should pay vitual state tax. B&M has showroom overhead cost, E-commerce should pay part of it. E-commerce is relatively new so a lot tax revenue policy is out dated. Imaging Amazon is allowed to sell car online, people test drive new vehicle at dealer and then buy online tax free.

JoeRetire
Posts: 880
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by JoeRetire » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:30 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:20 pm
I am not against E-commerce. I am for a leveled playing field. B&M paying real estate tax, E-commerce should pay vitual state tax. B&M has showroom overhead cost, E-commerce should pay part of it. E-commerce is relatively new so a lot tax revenue policy is out dated. Imaging Amazon is allowed to sell car online, people test drive new vehicle at dealer and then buy online tax free.
You think e-commerce sites should pay part of the showroom overhead costs of their competitors? That seems unlikely.

Once again, you are incorrect about the "tax free" part. Amazon doesn't pay property tax as they don't have property in your community. But they do collect sales tax. I agree that all e-commerce merchants should collect sales tax.

Maybe you should urge your community/state to pass a law trying to collect more taxes from e-commerce sites (whatever "virtual state tax" means?).

Although I suspect if your community did attempt to levy property tax on entities that didn't actually own property there, they would fail. And if by some miracle they succeeded, I suspect e-commerce sites would either refuse to sell to residents in your community or add the "local tax" to your bill as they do with sale taxes.

WhiteMaxima
Posts: 1107
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:04 pm

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by WhiteMaxima » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:44 pm

JoeRetire wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:30 pm
WhiteMaxima wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:20 pm
I am not against E-commerce. I am for a leveled playing field. B&M paying real estate tax, E-commerce should pay vitual state tax. B&M has showroom overhead cost, E-commerce should pay part of it. E-commerce is relatively new so a lot tax revenue policy is out dated. Imaging Amazon is allowed to sell car online, people test drive new vehicle at dealer and then buy online tax free.
You think e-commerce sites should pay part of the showroom overhead costs of their competitors? That seems unlikely.

Once again, you are incorrect about the "tax free" part. Amazon doesn't pay property tax as they don't have property in your community. But they do collect sales tax. I agree that all e-commerce merchants should collect sales tax.

Maybe you should urge your community/state to pass a law trying to collect more taxes from e-commerce sites (whatever "virtual state tax" means?).

Although I suspect if your community did attempt to levy property tax on entities that didn't actually own property there, they would fail. And if by some miracle they succeeded, I suspect e-commerce sites would either refuse to sell to residents in your community or add the "local tax" to your bill as they do with sale taxes.
I remember read an article about when Bezos launches his Amazon online books shop, he will visit local B&M store and find out the B&M price then he would mark down couple of cents on his books to cut the sales. Barnes Nobel Book stop then found lost a lot customer to Amazon. Many of them check out book at BN store and then buy at Amazon. B&N then put a note at their WC saying its not for Amazon shoppers. Tells us something about E-commerce and showroom effect.

JoeRetire
Posts: 880
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by JoeRetire » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:09 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:44 pm
I remember read an article about when Bezos launches his Amazon online books shop, he will visit local B&M store and find out the B&M price then he would mark down couple of cents on his books to cut the sales. Barnes Nobel Book stop then found lost a lot customer to Amazon. Many of them check out book at BN store and then buy at Amazon. B&N then put a note at their WC saying its not for Amazon shoppers. Tells us something about E-commerce and showroom effect.
All retailers check their competition's prices and set their prices accordingly. When I used to work for a large supermarket chain, I went to local competitors and wrote down their prices. They did the same in our stores.

I remember when Barnes and Noble would come to a town and wipe out the mom and pop bookstores.
I remember when WalMart would drive out the small clothing shops. And when their signs used to say "Buy American". And when their logo used to be "Always Low Prices".

Times change.

kazper
Posts: 623
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:45 pm

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by kazper » Tue May 01, 2018 7:04 am

Current prime member here, although I've been considering cancelling for years.

I heard this announcement yesterday and went to my account to cancel. Turns out I will squeak by with the $100 fee, so they may get 1 more year out of me.

Personally, I don't use the music streaming service much, if at all. I maybe watch 10 movies per year through prime, not enough to justify paying for the membership. The free shipping and 5% back is what is keeping me hooked, but after I found out Amazon dropped their price matching guarantee, even on their own purchases, I'm thinking about moving away from them. It is frustrating ordering an item, finding out the price dropped a day or two later, and not being able to do anything about it.
Just beware, if you pay annually there is no prorated refund. Cancel on the last day to make it worthwhile.
I had no idea. That seems like total bs to me! You paid for an entire year, sucks that they can just cut it off like that!

Jags4186
Posts: 2119
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by Jags4186 » Tue May 01, 2018 7:13 am

Amazon recently saved me $11. I was out shopping at the supermarket and 3 items caught me off guard to how expensive they were: Swiffer wipes and this shampoo & conditioner my wife uses. Normally I would just buy them but I thought they seemed very expensive--$8 for 16 Swiffer wipes, $20 each for the shampoo and conditioner. Went on amazon in the store, got 48 Swiffer wipes for $12.50, and the shampoo and conditioner for $25 total. Instead of spending $48 I spent $37 and I got 3x the cleaning wipes. I ordered on Saturday, was sitting at my house when I came home from work on Monday.

I find it ironic the amount of blustering over what amounts to $1.67/mo. I will not be cancelling even if I'm not sure if I'm getting $120 in value. But being able to price check on the fly, even if its still not the absolute cheapest I could find, is a powerful tool. Not having to wait 7-10 days shipping means I can make the purchase without a time of the essence worry.

User avatar
JaneyLH
Posts: 362
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:16 pm

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by JaneyLH » Tue May 01, 2018 1:28 pm

jminv wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:10 am
JaneyLH wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:04 pm
When Amazon delivers on its offer to Prime customers I am happy to pay for the service. I live in a community where there are few shopping alternatives. But in the last 6 mos or so, there are more and more instances where prime deliveries are late, and we are sometimes gone. Doesn’t work for us unless they meet their commitments,
If you send them a message, they will give you a free month of prime for every instance a prime package is late. I track this very carefully and end up with a few free months a year.
If I am expecting a Prime delivery on Wednesday and it doesn't come until Saturday, a free month of service doesn't help me if I left Friday on a 4-week trip. The package left on a doorstep will not likely be there 4 weeks later, and if it is something I needed on the trip it doesn't help either.

Maverick3320
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 2:59 pm

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by Maverick3320 » Tue May 01, 2018 3:49 pm

SocalLiving wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:00 am
Even at $119, Amazon Prime saves me money and time. Combine that with the 5% cashback on my Amazon Prime Credit card, and I still come out ahead. I hate going to the store (and coming home with extra junk I didn't need), so they will have to hike up the prices quite a bit before I consider quitting.

Plus, Amazon has always been awesome about returning anything for free, so I never have to worry unlike other online retailers.
You can get an Amazon Rewards card that is fairly similar in terms of benefits without being a Prime member.

JoeRetire
Posts: 880
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by JoeRetire » Tue May 01, 2018 5:08 pm

JaneyLH wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 1:28 pm
If I am expecting a Prime delivery on Wednesday and it doesn't come until Saturday, a free month of service doesn't help me if I left Friday on a 4-week trip. The package left on a doorstep will not likely be there 4 weeks later, and if it is something I needed on the trip it doesn't help either.
That's why I always ask my neighbor to pick up my packages if I can't be there.
And that's why I never wait until the last day to order what I need for a trip.

MCraw25
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:05 am
Location: ALL OVER

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by MCraw25 » Tue May 01, 2018 9:09 pm

I love Prime. Honestly Id pay a lot MORE than $119 just to avoid standing line lines during my free time. 10 bucks a month saves me hours of wasted time. And Prime has many features beyond just free 2 day shipping. :sharebeer

Loik098
Posts: 579
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 9:29 pm

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by Loik098 » Tue May 01, 2018 9:26 pm

Nate79 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:48 am
For anyone interested there is a way to lock in the $99/y price. In fact you can do it for multiple years using the Gift of Prime.

Explained here:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/lock-you ... -increase/
This trick has been mentioned on this thread twice now, and yet folks are still babbling on about whether they will retain or cancel given the price increase.

Bogleheads, don't overlook this easy way to keep Prime at $99.

dustinst22
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:09 pm

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by dustinst22 » Tue May 01, 2018 10:48 pm

Maverick3320 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 3:49 pm


You can get an Amazon Rewards card that is fairly similar in terms of benefits without being a Prime member.
It's only 3% back versus the Prime 5% back version. That's a significant difference. It all comes down to how much you spend w/Amazon and how much you value their video content and 2 day shipping. For me it's a no brainer. I'd rather pay for Amazon Prime + Netflix + HBO Go than cable TV. The video content alone is worth ~ $100/year for me.

kazper wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 7:04 am

I had no idea. That seems like total bs to me! You paid for an entire year, sucks that they can just cut it off like that!
When you cancel, you keep the service until your membership is finished.

Bacchus01
Posts: 1648
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:35 pm

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by Bacchus01 » Wed May 02, 2018 6:51 am

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:20 pm
JoeRetire wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:56 pm
WhiteMaxima wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:21 am
The local B&M store is a show case of the merchant. You can see and touch or even play before you buy. Amazon is a E-commerce retailer which don't have its own show room. People look and B&M store and buy at Amazon for a couple penny and huge sales tax savings. Don't think its a fair playing ground. Once Amazon wipe out all B&M stores, consumer will see price increase. That's what it's doing now: raise membership fee.
Amazon itself doesn't require any membership fees - only Prime.

And as I've already indicated, Amazon already collects sales tax on their merchandise in every state having a sales tax. It's only the 3rd-party merchants who choose to sell their products on Amazon's platform who sometimes choose not to collect sales tax. Many of those merchants are the same vendors who have brick and mortar stores - perhaps even in your own community.

I assume you are against ALL e-commerce retailers, like Walmart, Target, Barnes and Noble, etc?
I am not against E-commerce. I am for a leveled playing field. B&M paying real estate tax, E-commerce should pay vitual state tax. B&M has showroom overhead cost, E-commerce should pay part of it. E-commerce is relatively new so a lot tax revenue policy is out dated. Imaging Amazon is allowed to sell car online, people test drive new vehicle at dealer and then buy online tax free.
Wait, so you think they should pay for other people’s poor antiquated business model? Why?

Whakamole
Posts: 600
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:59 pm

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by Whakamole » Wed May 02, 2018 9:29 am

kazper wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 7:04 am

I had no idea. That seems like total bs to me! You paid for an entire year, sucks that they can just cut it off like that!
When you cancel, you keep the service until your membership is finished.
[/quote]

Weird, I canceled earlier this year (before the announced price increase) and was refunded almost all of my Prime membership costs.

Post Reply