Casper Foam mattress doesn’t fit furniture frame

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
JBTX

Casper Foam mattress doesn’t fit furniture frame

Post by JBTX » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:22 pm

Our king size Casper foam mattress and foundation arrived today. I haven’t unboxed it yet. What we previously had is a furniture bed frame that matches room furniture. Ther were two twin box springs and king size pillow top mattress sat on that. What I did not realize is the bed frame was built for twin boxes, and has a board in the middle going from front to back. The Casper foundation will not work because of that middle board on the frame.

Casper does not recommend putting king mattress on twin box springs. They said one workaround may be to put bunkie board on top of twin box springs. That may or may not affect the breathability of the foam mattress.

Anybody encounter a similar issue? How did you handle?

Pajamas

Re: Casper Foam mattress doesn’t fit furniture frame

Post by Pajamas » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:39 pm

You could get a slat set to put on top of the twin foundations if you are concerned about ventilation. I'm not recommending this particular one, it just came up first in a search, so I'm using it as an illustration:

https://www.fastfurnishings.com/King-si ... 158418.htm

You could also make one using purchased slats and some kind of fabric tape and a staple gun.

An alternative would be pegboard or perforated plywood.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:48 pm

Your frame sounds similar to our king. When we bought our latex mattress, the manufacturer did not recommend box springs but rather required (for warranty for the mattress) metal foundations with the same dimensions as our old box springs. We were told that conventional box springs do not allow sufficient ventilation for a latex mattress. Are you sure the foundation you received is not designed to replace two separate box springs (perhaps by requiring some assembly)?

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:37 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:48 pm
Your frame sounds similar to our king. When we bought our latex mattress, the manufacturer did not recommend box springs but rather required (for warranty for the mattress) metal foundations with the same dimensions as our old box springs. We were told that conventional box springs do not allow sufficient ventilation for a latex mattress. Are you sure the foundation you received is not designed to replace two separate box springs (perhaps by requiring some assembly)?
The foundation I bought was one king size unit. The bed frame is designed for two twins, with a board in the middle separating the two, and also the middle board is what the boards at bottom attach to.

The only thing I can think of is to put some sort of plywood or relatively thin (2” or less) bunkie board. Plywood seems chincy and I didn’t see any bunkie boards that fit the bill, although I am not exactly sure what I’m looking for.

The other option would be to buy 2 4” low profile twin foundations and then buy a king size low profile 4” foundation to sit on top of it. Obviously that is a rather clunky solution.

Or maybe I just need to purchase 2 twin XL foundations and 2 twin XL mattresses? If you have two twins side by side can one sleep in the middle or will you sink between the two?

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:01 pm

I'm assuming you want to keep the bed frame because it matches the rest of the room, and that it's commodity furniture and not a Louis XV antique or something.

I would take a real close look at that board in the middle and the construction of the frame. An lot of them come apart -- it's a right bear to maneuver a fully assembled king size frame into most bedrooms.

If I couldn't disassemble the bed I'd take another look at my trusty saw.

Once you have a big open hole in the middle, You might have to add some 2x6 laid sideways, or some angle irons, or worst case, use a metal king size frame inside the now empty box.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:20 pm

JBTX wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:37 pm
Doom&Gloom wrote:
The foundation I bought was one king size unit. The bed frame is designed for two twins, with a board in the middle separating the two, and also the middle board is what the boards at bottom attach to.

The only thing I can think of is to put some sort of plywood or relatively thin (2” or less) bunkie board. Plywood seems chincy and I didn’t see any bunkie boards that fit the bill, although I am not exactly sure what I’m looking for.

The other option would be to buy 2 4” low profile twin foundations and then buy a king size low profile 4” foundation to sit on top of it. Obviously that is a rather clunky solution.

Or maybe I just need to purchase 2 twin XL foundations and 2 twin XL mattresses? If you have two twins side by side can one sleep in the middle or will you sink between the two?
I still think our bed frames are similar. We have two twin XL foundations resting on the slats but separated at the bottom by an ~4" high (1" wide) board running lengthwise down the center of the bed frame. The length of the slats are ~half the width of the bed, and each slat rests on the center board and one of the side boards. Our king mattress lies on top of those metal foundations.

Why would you get two low profile twin XL foundations plus one low profile king foundation rather than two higher profile twin XL foundations and then placing a king mattress on top of them? Our twin foundations are separated only by the ~1" width of the "vertical" board running the length of the bed. That board does not reach nearly to the top of the foundations.

We have no sag in the middle of our mattress, but it is pretty thick. Maybe it would be an issue with a thinner or very soft mattress. I feel like this would be easier to discuss with a diagram :(

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:54 am

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:20 pm
JBTX wrote:
Doom&Gloom wrote:

I still think our bed frames are similar. We have two twin XL foundations resting on the slats but separated at the bottom by an ~4" high (1" wide) board running lengthwise down the center of the bed frame. The length of the slats are ~half the width of the bed, and each slat rests on the center board and one of the side boards. Our king mattress lies on top of those metal foundations.

Why would you get two low profile twin XL foundations plus one low profile king foundation rather than two higher profile twin XL foundations and then placing a king mattress on top of them? Our twin foundations are separated only by the ~1" width of the "vertical" board running the length of the bed. That board does not reach nearly to the top of the foundations.

We have no sag in the middle of our mattress, but it is pretty thick. Maybe it would be an issue with a thinner or very soft mattress. I feel like this would be easier to discuss with a diagram :(
What you are describing is exactly what we have. We could do exactly what you are saying, put the foam mattress on top of the twin boxes (or twin foundations if we bought those) but I called and asked about that and they specifically advised against doing that. I’m not exactly sure why, perhaps uneven support, or perhaps sag in the middle? In some cases if you don’t have a proper foundation it may void the warranty I’m going to call Casper again and see why that wouldn’t work. It certainly would be the easiest solution.

My wife just wants to take the Casper foundation and stack it on the existing twin box springs. That would work, except it would make the bed height about 4 inches higher than the top of the baseboard (or whatever the board at the feet is called). Seems to me that would look stupid but oddly enough DW doesn’t care.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:59 am

Epsilon Delta wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:01 pm
I'm assuming you want to keep the bed frame because it matches the rest of the room, and that it's commodity furniture and not a Louis XV antique or something.

I would take a real close look at that board in the middle and the construction of the frame. An lot of them come apart -- it's a right bear to maneuver a fully assembled king size frame into most bedrooms.

If I couldn't disassemble the bed I'd take another look at my trusty saw.

Once you have a big open hole in the middle, You might have to add some 2x6 laid sideways, or some angle irons, or worst case, use a metal king size frame inside the now empty box.
Yes frame matches the rest of the bedroom furniture. It is good solid wood furniture but not anything exquisite. It is 20 years old but has held up well.

I imagine if you had someone with some carpentry skills they could come up with something. But once you have done that you’ve kind of committed going down that route. I had hoped we could actually try the bed first to see if we like it. Maybe we just stack it up for now and if we like it then address the optics later. DW is hell bent on replacing the mattress so I’m running out of options here.

tev9876

Post by tev9876 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:53 am

How high is the middle board that is preventing you from using the Casper foundation? If you were to take two 38x75" (twin size) pieces of plywood and place them where the twin box springs were, would it give you a flat surface for the foundation? If too high for plywood, would cutting slats out of 2x4s (1.5" high) work? Seems that you just need something high enough to clear the center bar, but not as high as a regular box spring.

I did buy the metal frame that was recommended for my latex mattress. Within two years it was a bent pile of sheet metal. I wanted a basic platform frame so just ended up building one out of dimensional lumber. I used 2x12s for the legs - cut at a 45 degree angle the width of the bed (to avoid stubbed toes) with a short cross to prevent them from rolling over. Platform was a 2x4 "wall" with 1x3s for slats spaced for ventilation. Added some higher quality 1x6s for sides, sanded and painted black. Cheap and as solid as a rock.

FlyAF

Post by FlyAF » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:20 am

I put our king size Casper mattress on top of our existing twin box springs and it works fine. I'm sure the reason they don't recommend it is so you buy theirs. I mean it's just a platform that you're setting a piece of foam on.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:38 am

tev9876 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:53 am
How high is the middle board that is preventing you from using the Casper foundation? If you were to take two 38x75" (twin size) pieces of plywood and place them where the twin box springs were, would it give you a flat surface for the foundation? If too high for plywood, would cutting slats out of 2x4s (1.5" high) work? Seems that you just need something high enough to clear the center bar, but not as high as a regular box spring.

I did buy the metal frame that was recommended for my latex mattress. Within two years it was a bent pile of sheet metal. I wanted a basic platform frame so just ended up building one out of dimensional lumber. I used 2x12s for the legs - cut at a 45 degree angle the width of the bed (to avoid stubbed toes) with a short cross to prevent them from rolling over. Platform was a 2x4 "wall" with 1x3s for slats spaced for ventilation. Added some higher quality 1x6s for sides, sanded and painted black. Cheap and as solid as a rock.
Middle board is About 3.5 inches high. At this point I am leaning to just setting the casper foundation on top of the existing twin bed springs, which is going to boost it up unusually high. Once we figure out if we like the bed, then I can replace the original twin box springs which are about 8 inches high with a couple of low profile twin foundations about 4 inches high, which will be roughly flush with the center board, and stack casper foundation on that. That would result in about the same height as it currently is. Our existing mattress is a pillow top and is probably 12-13 inches high vs capser mattress which is 10 inches
Last edited by JBTX on Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:38 am

FlyAF wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:20 am
I put our king size Casper mattress on top of our existing twin box springs and it works fine. I'm sure the reason they don't recommend it is so you buy theirs. I mean it's just a platform that you're setting a piece of foam on.
you are probably right, but it might void the warranty.

FlyAF

Post by FlyAF » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:51 am

JBTX wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:38 am
FlyAF wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:20 am
you are probably right, but it might void the warranty.
Maybe, but what exactly can go wrong with a piece of foam? And, how on earth would they ever know?

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:11 pm

JBTX wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:54 am
Doom&Gloom wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:20 pm
JBTX wrote:
Doom&Gloom wrote:

What you are describing is exactly what we have. We could do exactly what you are saying, put the foam mattress on top of the twin boxes (or twin foundations if we bought those) but I called and asked about that and they specifically advised against doing that. I’m not exactly sure why, perhaps uneven support, or perhaps sag in the middle? In some cases if you don’t have a proper foundation it may void the warranty I’m going to call Casper again and see why that wouldn’t work. It certainly would be the easiest solution.

My wife just wants to take the Casper foundation and stack it on the existing twin box springs. That would work, except it would make the bed height about 4 inches higher than the top of the baseboard (or whatever the board at the feet is called). Seems to me that would look stupid but oddly enough DW doesn’t care.
Interesting that you were advised against that approach. When we bought our latex mattress, the manufacturer informed us that the warranty would only apply if we used their foundations (the twin XL mentioned above). IIRC they did not have a king foundation but used the twin XLs for all their king mattresses. Perhaps theirs were designed for a close fit at the top but slightly more narrow at the bottom. If it weren't such a PITA, I would take a look and let you know.

I do like tev's idea of somehow raising the level of the slats to the top of the center board, but I am unsure of how that might be accomplished without adding a lot of weight.

Good luck in finding a workable and comfortable solution!

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:24 pm

This article suggests using perforated plywood on top of the box spring for ventilation.

http://www.sleeppassport.com/putting-ma ... pring.html