Medicare Phone Calls

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Mitchell777

Medicare Phone Calls

Post by Mitchell777 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:29 pm

At the beginning of this month I was six months from 65. I started to get a lot of unsolicited calls the first Monday of the month. I thought it would end but it's weeks later and still getting 8 to 15 per day, 5 days per week. I turned off the phone so I don't need to hear the constant ringing but it's irritating. I only picked up once, just to be sure it was about Medicare. It was an off shore call center asked about Medicare. I asked to be put on their Do Not Call List but he just hung up. I assume this is multiple entities calling. Most all the calls come in showing just a city and state. I'm on the Do Not Call Lists and have been for many years. Anyone had any luck slowing these calls? Thanks

HueyLD

Re: Medicare Phone Calls

Post by HueyLD » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:38 pm

Block those numbers.

Flobes

Post by Flobes » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:38 pm

Mitchell777 wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:29 pm
Anyone had any luck slowing these calls?
No such luck here.

Prediction, based on my experience:
* Calls will increase for the next months.
* Calls will stop when you are 65 yrs 3 months.
* Then you'll enjoy some every year, during "Open Enrollment" cycle.

I turned off the ringer, and then the answering machine. Arghhh!

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:39 pm

Nope; we just turn off the ringer. we had a respite for a couple of months after I started Medicare but now my spouse is inside the 6 month window and they have started again. She has answered a few and asked them not to call again.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

totallystudly

Post by totallystudly » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:14 pm

These are almost certainly not Medicare. I get back and knee brace calls and I'm decades away from Medicare.

As this is a financial website, I know of some people who are suing these telemarketers. One guy is taking a mid 5 figure amount pre-suit.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:29 pm

Mitchell777 wrote:
At the beginning of this month I was six months from 65. I started to get a lot of unsolicited calls the first Monday of the month.
How did they get your phone number? Is this phone a land line with a published number?

SittingOnTheFence

Post by SittingOnTheFence » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:24 pm

It no longers matters if the number is published. I've been paying extra for decades to be unpublished.
Nowadays it's all robo-dial. I don't even bother blocking anymore unless the same number calls multiple times.

My strategy is let it go to machine & monitor if they start talking. 99% just hang up. It's annoying but turning the ringer off is not a good strategy for me.

mouses

Post by mouses » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:29 am

totallystudly wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:14 pm
These are almost certainly not Medicare. I get back and knee brace calls and I'm decades away from Medicare.
I used to get those device calls but not for quite awhile. I thought the feds actually got those people.

Now I get tons of calls about switching electricity suppliers and the ones where they are trying to get you to say yes to anything like can you hear me, because they record the yes and use it to prove you okayed purchases etc.

celia

Post by celia » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:54 am

We've been over 65 for some time now and have never received any Medicare-related calls. We just get junk mail from every Medicare Advantage plan available to us even though we chose a Supplemental Plan. It comes during open enrollment and when you first turn 65.

totallystudly

Post by totallystudly » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:25 am

I thought the feds actually got those people.

Nah, the feds couldn't care less, and there are lots of people engaging in this crap.

Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:04 pm

totallystudly wrote:

As this is a financial website, I know of some people who are suing these telemarketers. One guy is taking a mid 5 figure amount pre-suit.
They are Medicare related calls (not the government). Specifically Medigap (Supplemental insurance). I've picked up a few more and they are in regards to Medicare. Every one. I'm telling them I work and will not be signing up and ask to be put on their DNC list. Doubt it will help much.

mouses

Post by mouses » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:40 pm

totallystudly wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:25 am
I thought the feds actually got those people.

Nah, the feds couldn't care less, and there are lots of people engaging in this crap.
https://www.sec.gov/news/press/2002-120.htm

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:25 pm

There should be little reason to call Medicare, and even less for them to call you out of the blue.

I had to deal with a medicare issue, and they set up an appointment for a phone call. I had to call them, and a more specialized person called me back in a few weeks right at the appointed time. It's more like a virtual meeting with someone who might have been a case worker or something, and not just a front line customer service person hired yesterday reading from a computer screen.

Phones are becoming a nuisance because of all the fraudulent calls these days, and I'm ready to pull the plug. For the most part I don't answer calls from numbers I don't recognize anymore.

Web pages are becoming a nuisance from AutoPlay Videos. It was a problem a while back, which I thought they had corrected, but recently, I've experienced more background noise from multiple videos playing in background, hidden items on the current page, or self-activating videos. Looks like the bad actors have figured a way around the controls again. If the good guys can't even get this right, I don't have much confidence they can control the bigger security picture.

I'm beginning to think we need to slow down and go back to paper and physical mail to raise the cost and time involved with fraud and other bad actors. I don't know how seniors are dealing with the deluge of information, and I don't know how I will given the growth when I get there.

cfs

Post by cfs » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:50 pm

I do not have a land line and I have never received a call related to Medicare.

Plus, I do not answer my cell phone unless the number is in my contact listing.

Oh, those calling will get my voice message in Spanish telling them por favor deje su mensage.

Good luck, y gracias por leer ~cfs~
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

winner23red

Post by winner23red » Wed May 02, 2018 8:50 pm

https://www.nomorobo.com/
I've had good luck signing on with this website. Once you add your LAN line number, if you get a robocall or a spooling call, the call will be intercepted after 1 ring. It works and its free.

cashmoney

Post by cashmoney » Wed May 02, 2018 9:26 pm

Mitchell777 wrote:
At the beginning of this month I was six months from 65. I started to get a lot of unsolicited calls the first Monday of the month. I thought it would end but it's weeks later and still getting 8 to 15 per day, 5 days per week. I turned off the phone so I don't need to hear the constant ringing but it's irritating. I only picked up once, just to be sure it was about Medicare. It was an off shore call center asked about Medicare. I asked to be put on their Do Not Call List but he just hung up. I assume this is multiple entities calling. Most all the calls come in showing just a city and state. I'm on the Do Not Call Lists and have been for many years. Anyone had any luck slowing these calls? Thanks

It is a CMS Marketing violation for agents to cold call for medicare advantage or part D plans and they do take it serious if complaints are made.Agents can be terminated and lose their licence for doing this.There is no CMS regulation against agents cold calling for medicare supplements since these are regulated by the state department of insurance.In most states cold calling for medicare supplements is legal however some of the insurance carriers most notably UHC/AARP does not allow their contracted agents to cold call for their medicare supplement product.Knowing this might stop an agent from calling you again but chances are most the calls you are getting are coming from overseas lead generation companies that sell the lead/appointment to local agents and they dont care about the rules unfortunately.

Dont request to be taken off the list- you are just confirming they reached the right person and then they call you even more.

If they are calling your cell phone it has been hacked.You can google your cell phone # and if you see it the results you know.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Wed May 02, 2018 9:36 pm

winner23red wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 8:50 pm
https://www.nomorobo.com/
I've had good luck signing on with this website. Once you add your LAN line number, if you get a robocall or a spooling call, the call will be intercepted after 1 ring. It works and its free.
+1 Love Nomorobo, it works great for us. You can get the Nomorobo app for your smart phone too but it requires a small monthly fee, $1.99 per month. But for an internet phone it’s free and effective.

I’m averse to anything requiring a monthly fee so on my smart phone I just don’t answer the unwanted calls. Any incoming caller I don’t recognize is unwanted.

mouses

Post by mouses » Wed May 02, 2018 10:14 pm

cashmoney wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 9:26 pm
If they are calling your cell phone it has been hacked.You can google your cell phone # and if you see it the results you know.
I get such phone calls on my cell phone. It's a flip phone. I don't think it's even possible to hack a flip phone.

cashmoney

Post by cashmoney » Wed May 02, 2018 11:19 pm

mouses wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 10:14 pm
cashmoney wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 9:26 pm
I get such phone calls on my cell phone. It's a flip phone. I don't think it's even possible to hack a flip phone.

I should have said your they get your cell phone number by hacking a website where you have included your cell phone number.

SittingOnTheFence

Post by SittingOnTheFence » Wed May 02, 2018 11:44 pm

They are robo-dialing all those numbers, cell included.

I don't give out my cell number. I still get calls, which I never answer. It MUST be robodialing, there is no other way they got my number.
I also don't answer unrecognized numbers to my land line phone, most of them just hang up. Other than the occasional motivated or stupid spammer, legit callers leave a message.

I don't bother blocking numbers anymore because they are spoofed. The guy who dials in the morning may dial in the afternoon using a different CID number. Until Congress does something to force phone companies to do something, its gonna just be part of life.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Thu May 03, 2018 6:53 am

Mitchell777 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:04 pm
totallystudly wrote:

They are Medicare related calls (not the government). Specifically Medigap (Supplemental insurance). I've picked up a few more and they are in regards to Medicare. Every one. I'm telling them I work and will not be signing up and ask to be put on their DNC list. Doubt it will help much.
Mitchell777 never answered my question, but I myself just received a Medicare phone call. I almost never answer our land line, but it has been ringing a lot the past few days and no messages left. Curiosity got the best of me and I did answer it. It was not a robocall. The guy had my name and birth month; wonder where they get that info. I hung up on him and won't be answering any more landline calls.

I get very few junk calls on my cell. When I do, the phone often alerts me to possible scam call. I usually do not answer if I don't recognize the number.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Thu May 03, 2018 7:08 am

Welcome to the club of being over 65. The whole world probably knows that you are now on Medicare. There are Medicare lists around. And since you are over 65 your cognitive capabilities supposedly are declining and you should become an easy target for all kind of scams. Therefore you should only pick up phone calls from people you know. We do that now for over 10 years and never got into trouble. Be also very careful which mail you will respond too, there are other scams than fake-Medicare.

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Thu May 03, 2018 8:14 am

The do not call list is still in effect. I assume these are legit US based companies doing this. Report them and possibly sue them if they call your cell phone or your land line if you have no established business relationship.

mouses

Post by mouses » Thu May 03, 2018 8:27 am

sschoe2 wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 8:14 am
The do not call list is still in effect. I assume these are legit US based companies doing this.
:D :D :D :D :D

scooterdog

Post by scooterdog » Fri May 04, 2018 2:59 am

In case anyone was wondering what happened to the Do Not Call List, the Washington Post wrote it up here. https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... ost&wpmm=1

Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 » Tue May 08, 2018 4:56 pm

Just an update for those receiving the calls. After I told a Supplemental phone sales person that I am still working (I'm really not) and will not be signing up for Medicare, the number of calls I receive went from 8 to 15 a day to 4 or 5 per day. Today I picked up another that comes all the time. Was very polite and told them the same thing. Asked if they could stop the calls and he said sure but he can't stop calls from other companies. Then he said if I want to stop further calls, tell them you are on Medicaid because they cannot continue with the call (the caller did ask that question). I'm sure they will still come every year at Medicare sign-up time but they are way down for now.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue May 08, 2018 5:12 pm

scooterdog wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 2:59 am
In case anyone was wondering what happened to the Do Not Call List, the Washington Post wrote it up here. https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... ost&wpmm=1
The sad thing is that there is a simple solution to stopping robocalls. That is to put a small tax on every phone call that is made that the person making the call pays. At even a penny a call that would quickly stop the calls. As I recall that was proposed years ago but it never went anywhere because of objections by political interest groups.