Comfortable Commuter Cars under $50K

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
FisherBlack

Comfortable Commuter Cars under $50K

Post by FisherBlack » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:06 pm

I have a long commute - 45 minutes each way - and I plan to replace my old subaru outback with something comfortable and suitable to my age. I am 36 yo, single male, started working 4.5 years ago, 225-265K annual income, 600K in total savings including 401k.

I test drove lexus GS 350 and used LS 460. Obviously GS is a bit stiff (less comfortable) than LS, but LS is a bit too big.

What other used and/or new cars/SUVs do you suggest?

Thanks!

gator15

Re: Comfortable Commuter Cars under $50K

Post by gator15 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:20 pm

If I had your budget I would look into the Hyundai Genesis. I’ve never driven one but others I know seem to like them. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee I drive from time to time for my commute and I think it’s pretty comfortable. Just drove it on a 1200 miles road trip and it was great.

wootwoot

Post by wootwoot » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:30 pm

2016 Audi S4 3.0t: comfort, performance, luxury, and AWD.

rolandtorres

Post by rolandtorres » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:47 pm

I think you're saying you want something that cruises comfortably and comes nicely equipped, assuming you're mostly doing highway miles. Big Lexus sedan says "married dad" to me and am guessing you want to project more "single and tasteful". I'd say used Tesla S or new Audi Q5

Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:56 pm

I drive 100 miles RT daily, in a Lexus RX350. Very comfy. ;)

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:39 am

Audi Q5 - Prestige or a loaded Premium Plus but that may top $50k

Volvo S60 or XC60

Audi A4

The Volvos will likely have the most comfortable seats, depending on your stature. The Audis are a very close second. Choice of engines again depends on your desire for performance.

Our current vehicles, purchased new, are a 2012 Volvo XC60 T6 300hp (about 55k miles) and a 2018 Audi Q5 4 cylinder 252hp (about 4k miles), both AWD with plenty of power. Previous: 1995 Volvo 850 Turbo (had about 210k miles), 1996 Volvo 850 Turbo (had about 106k miles) both very reliable and comfortable. Time will tell if our Audi Q5 is as durable.
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

cjcerny

Post by cjcerny » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:48 am

New Camry Hybrid. Highway MPG is around 50. Go for the XLE trim if you want something a little more upscale.
Last edited by cjcerny on Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:10 am

I picked up a low mileage (24,000 miles) 2012 Infiniti M37 last year for $23,000. Car is VERY comfortable on longer drives, roomy, quick and won't be mistaken for your dad's sedan. Highway mileage is decent for a larger car at 26 mpg. Look at used M37/Q70 - they are the same vehicle.
The Village Idiot - here for your entertainment.

emoore

Post by emoore » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:18 am

Tesla or EV would be my suggestion. I do like the Camry or Accord Hybrid suggestions. Great mileage and comfortable and inexpensive upkeep. Anything below 30mpg on the highway is pretty terrible these days especially for a sedan.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:22 am

I see the LS is too big. Hmmm. Too bad. You can get a beautiful, lower mileage Lexus LS 460 for well under $50k.

Did you drive the Lexus ES? That would fall into the Avalon size. A sedan is still the most comfortable to me.

Toyota Avalon. Audi A6. Camry Hybrid.

Did anyone see the story that Ford is dropping all sedans except Mustang and a new Focus. All other sedans are going away. Gulp. Focus, Fusion, Fiesta, Taurus, C-Max.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

dbr

Post by dbr » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:31 am

A Subaru Outback is totally "suitable" to your age, whatever that means.

As far as comfort, the only suggestion that makes any sense is that you are going to have to test drive some cars on long enough drives to find out what is comfortable for you. The issue is so personal and variable that I don't think there is a recommendation. I do know different trim levels of cars can be quite variable in comfort depending on the adjustability of seats. Also people have very different standards for ride, noise, and comfort related aspects of handling.

Disclaimer: I bought an Outback that I first didn't think would be the choice precisely because I tried the Genesis for a sedan and discovered all current models of sedans are so hard to see out of that it wasn't acceptable. But I don't know if outside vision is a "comfort" criterion. Personally I think it is.

open_circuit

Post by open_circuit » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:33 am

Two nice used cars and switch every few days based on the weather?

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:47 am

Mercedes E Class
BMW 5 Series
Audi A5
I would go CPO, lease, or find a good indie mechanic.

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:49 am

I'm going to assume this 45 minute commute is mostly highway? If 90% of my driving was focused on this type of driving, I would focus on two things good technology and comfortable ride.

I had a Infiniti M56x and I felt like it was a great car for this type of driving. Big V8 that's quiet, smooth ride, amazing interior, and great tech for the time (2011)

The #1 tech item I would focus on is adaptive cruise. There is such a wide difference between how good these systems are between manufacturers. The one in my Infiniti was one of the first cars that used this technology and it sucked so bad that I never used it. In the last 7 year,s the technology has really improved and it's really nice to be able to set the cruise and just have it set the speed and distance without you intervening.

If you're looking at a midsize/large luxury vehicle they should all ride nice, all have lots of tech, etc. The other key feature they all have is crappy resale. Go buy a 1 year old $70k low mileage CPO for $50k and let some other fool take the hit.

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:54 am

dbr wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:31 am

As far as comfort, the only suggestion that makes any sense is that you are going to have to test drive some cars on long enough drives to find out what is comfortable for you. The issue is so personal and variable that I don't think there is a recommendation. I do know different trim levels of cars can be quite variable in comfort depending on the adjustability of seats. Also people have very different standards for ride, noise, and comfort related aspects of handling.

Disclaimer: I bought an Outback that I first didn't think would be the choice precisely because I tried the Genesis for a sedan and discovered all current models of sedans are so hard to see out of that it wasn't acceptable. But I don't know if outside vision is a "comfort" criterion. Personally I think it is.
Yeah, the problem with seat comfort is that you really do need a longer drive. At one point I had a car, a ford sedan actually, and I really liked the way it drove; decent power, good handling, etc. Around town it was very comfortable. At some point on a longer drive -- usually after 45 minutes or so -- the seats became uncomfortable, and no amount of tweaking would make them work. On shorter drives, no problem. I sold the car sooner than I usually would.

In contrast, I wasn't totally sure the seats on my current car would be okay on a long trip -- thigh support a little tight -- but in practice it's the best car I've had for long drives.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:55 am

FisherBlack wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:06 pm
GS is a bit stiff (less comfortable) than LS, but LS is a bit too big.
The Toyota Avalon is similar in size to a Lexus GS. If you otherwise liked the GS, you might find the Avalon has a more cushy ride.

dbr

Post by dbr » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:01 am

TN_Boy wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:54 am
dbr wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:31 am

Yeah, the problem with seat comfort is that you really do need a longer drive. At one point I had a car, a ford sedan actually, and I really liked the way it drove; decent power, good handling, etc. Around town it was very comfortable. At some point on a longer drive -- usually after 45 minutes or so -- the seats became uncomfortable, and no amount of tweaking would make them work. On shorter drives, no problem. I sold the car sooner than I usually would.

In contrast, I wasn't totally sure the seats on my current car would be okay on a long trip -- thigh support a little tight -- but in practice it's the best car I've had for long drives.
I actually found the Outback has been quite good at four, five, and six hours out though that would not have been the initial impression. I think if such a thing existed a modern version of the 1999 Buick LeSabre I replaced would have been the choice.

clipso1

Post by clipso1 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:03 am

New 2018 Honda CRV Touring.

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:11 am

How is the Audi Q5 reliability, say for a 2016-17 model?

I would opt for the GS 350, I did not find the ride too stiff on a test drive. Also wondering how this makes you look like a married dad? I am currently contemplating between these two (Q5 and GS350) for a purchase later this year, most likely 2 years old unless price difference doesn't make sense.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:13 am

gator15 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:20 pm
If I had your budget I would look into the Hyundai Genesis. I’ve never driven one but others I know seem to like them. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee I drive from time to time for my commute and I think it’s pretty comfortable. Just drove it on a 1200 miles road trip and it was great.
This is what my boss, whose budget is essentially limitless, drives to work when he's not in his Gulfstream.

zkzkzk

Post by zkzkzk » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:33 am

Ford Flex, very comfy ride

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:14 pm

Used 2013-17 Lexus LS460 (but sit in it to make sure you are comfy with enough legroom; otherwise the seat and driving feel/comfort are first rate).
I find the LS to be an amazingly serene and fine-handling driving experience, better than the German luxury cars. Really, try to test drive one.
(This is the last generation, not the 2018 model. There are quite a few around on the used or certified market.)

Else, Genesis G90, new or CPO. (The CPOs of the G90 are at really good prices.) Well, a new one is $50K, so check out the CPOs.

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:20 pm

Hyundai Genesis is perfect for your situation and has extremely good reliability, style, comfort and value.

It was a top contender for me when I was looking for my last car. Ended up going with a BMW 5 instead because it is a bit more agile, and I like the interior better. Honestly though, it's probably not wort the $10-15k extra over the Genesis, but I know how to do the maintenance and a lot of repairs on BMW, plus my last BMW saved me in a crash so I didn't really care about the extra money. Not to say the Genesis wouldn't be just as good in a crash, but I'm just biased from my extremely good history with the brand.

When you say the Lexus GS is too hard, do you mean the ride or the seats? For seats, hard seats are a good thing because if the seats are soft your back will get fatigued on longer drives. The key though is to have a seat that is hard, but properly shaped to your body. Mercedes, Audi, and BMW Multi-Contour seats are some of the most comfortable seats out there, even though they are hard.

Personally I don't like the lexus, they are boring to drive and offer no advantage over a Genesis, Audi or BMW. Reliability now is on the same level between those brands, and other than the Lexus being cheap and having more features for the same price, the Audi and BMW have far better designed chassis. The Lexus is just a Camry with lots of leather and techno crap that will break, but has terrible ergonomics and mediocre driving characteristics at best. The Genesis provides a comfortable serene ride and a nice style with an infotainment system that isn't so confusing that you'll wrap your car around a tree the way that the Lexus will

naples09

Post by naples09 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:32 pm

If you didn't like the GS then you will not like BMW or Audi.

I had a 15 GS F Sport and it was the best car I've owned. Used it for many road trips. I would have to recommend the ES or RX based on your comments about the LS and GS.

Good luck.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:39 pm

Fletch wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:39 am
Audi Q5 - Prestige or a loaded Premium Plus but that may top $50k

Volvo S60 or XC60

Audi A4

The Volvos will likely have the most comfortable seats, depending on your stature. The Audis are a very close second. Choice of engines again depends on your desire for performance.

Our current vehicles, purchased new, are a 2012 Volvo XC60 T6 300hp (about 55k miles) and a 2018 Audi Q5 4 cylinder 252hp (about 4k miles), both AWD with plenty of power. Previous: 1995 Volvo 850 Turbo (had about 210k miles), 1996 Volvo 850 Turbo (had about 106k miles) both very reliable and comfortable. Time will tell if our Audi Q5 is as durable.
You might check out the Volvo XC60.
It's an SUV, but doesn't look as big (unlike the larger XC90).
For some more zippy, try the Turbo.
The new models just out are classy looking, but you probably wouldn't yet find a great CPO.

We got a CPO, first time we didn't get a "new" car. It felt odd at first, but pretty soon, it felt no different from any other car that had been purchased new. (It was only 1 yr old, only 10k miles, from our "regular" dealer. The owner had just gotten one of the first new-model XC90's to arrive.)

The seats are VERY comfortable :happy

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

jwaxjwax

Post by jwaxjwax » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:44 pm

I am very happy with my 2017 Audi A4! Perfect if you don't need a big car with a huge backseat. My last car was an Acura TL and it's a big upgrade. That said, you can probably go cheaper. But the technology packages are nice. It's very easy to plug in my phone, which integrates with the car so that I can play podcasts - great for a commute. And starting in 2017, you get a full screen behind the dashboard in addition to the regular one.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:50 pm

ssquared87 wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:20 pm
Personally I don't like the lexus, they are boring to drive and offer no advantage over a Genesis, Audi or BMW. Reliability now is on the same level between those brands, and other than the Lexus being cheap and having more features for the same price, the Audi and BMW have far better designed chassis. The Lexus is just a Camry with lots of leather and techno crap that will break, but has terrible ergonomics and mediocre driving characteristics at best. The Genesis provides a comfortable serene ride and a nice style with an infotainment system that isn't so confusing that you'll wrap your car around a tree the way that the Lexus will
I don't think this is supported by actual data. Audi may have moved up to near the top in reliability, but repairs are still very expensive. BMW and Mercedes would be a step above that.

My theory is that if you can buy a Lexus, Audi, Mercedes or BMW new, then you can afford to service it. That is not always the case. Most would take Toyota/Lexus reliability over the other 3. Liking or not liking the look is something else. If someone drives a car and doesn't like it, move on.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:52 pm

Probably too pedestrian for you, but I have found Camry’s very comfortable physically and financially.

scottgekko

Post by scottgekko » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:31 pm

Dodge Charger SRT 392

You said you're single...might as well have fun. A Camry just wont don't it....

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:47 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:39 pm
You might check out the Volvo XC60.
It's an SUV, but doesn't look as big (unlike the larger XC90).
For some more zippy, try the Turbo.
The new models just out are classy looking, but you probably wouldn't yet find a great CPO.
We got a CPO, first time we didn't get a "new" car. It felt odd at first, but pretty soon, it felt no different from any other car that had been purchased new. (It was only 1 yr old, only 10k miles, from our "regular" dealer. The owner had just gotten one of the first new-model XC90's to arrive.)
The seats are VERY comfortable :happy
RM
I think that the Volvo seats are more comfortable than my wife's Range Rover seats, or my beloved Tesla Model X's seats. The car is first rate.

I indulge my fixation on auto safety by having put my kids in XC60s (and one in an S60). One of the XC60s, which our son won't need in NYC, will be given to my father-in-law.

killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:51 pm

Most of the vehicles mentioned in this thread so far are not what I'd attribute to a successful, 36 yo single male. But if a Lexus LS/GS is what you're leaning towards, I'd just go buy a well equipped Camry - same thing - and save the Lexus name premium.

BackOfTheNet

Post by BackOfTheNet » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:02 pm

How about a "new" 2016 Audi Q5 TDI. Really great engine and they are deeply discounted.

hirlaw

Post by hirlaw » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:08 pm

Move closer to work and buy a sports car!

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:24 pm

If a Lexus LS says married dad, an Avalon/es screams "you're a beautiful girl, you should meet my grandson". Find a used Lotus Evora. I found that they ride very well plus a good number of top handling cars had Lotus engineer the handling.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Toons

Post by Toons » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:25 pm

Honda Civic Touring
:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:26 pm

Subaru seats can be brutal. The Lexus IS the way to go for comfort, value and reliability. The Germans will have you spending your life at service centers.

jpohio

Post by jpohio » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:34 pm

2018 Honda Accord touring.

jpohio

Post by jpohio » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:34 pm

2018 Honda Accord touring.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:39 pm

snackdog wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:26 pm
Subaru seats can be brutal. The Lexus IS the way to go for comfort, value and reliability. The Germans will have you spending your life at service centers.
We WANTED to buy a nice Outback!
(Heck, we could have gotten two for the price of a new Volvo.)

We REALLY wanted to buy a nice Outback!!

And then we test drove one.
The SEATS... were.... HORRID...

We asked if there were upgrades or a different trim level, and apparently not.
We've since heard that this is not an uncommon reaction to the Subaru Outback seats.

But obviously, different strokes/seats for different folks, etc., so trying an Outback might make sense.
It if's comfy for you, that's different.

(But there IS that issue of... any passenger... whom you apparently don't quite know yet, so get something comfy, right? :wink: )

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

rotorhead

Post by rotorhead » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:57 pm

OP, I recommend you look at the M-B E350 sedan. I drive a 2008 model 4dr, purchased in 2011 as CPO. It is truly a very comfortable road car. I should hope the newer models will be just as good or better.

Maybe just me, but I find the driver's seat suits me perfectly; and the ride quality is superb. I'm 6 ft, with avg length arms and legs for the height. I'm not a daily commuter any more, as retired; but have driven this car on several pretty long road trips, and am very pleased with it. Once did 700 miles in one day, 10 hours actual road time.

Additionally, with the V6 engine and 7-sp transmission, get 28-29 mpg on the road. Maintenance costs have been very modest for this caliber car. CPO's in my area right now are listing for about $35-40K. Certainly worth a look.

Or, if you something a little more up market, the S550.

aspirit

Post by aspirit » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:19 pm

I appreciate your username. It suggest's your investment/economics enthusiasm.
Buying a depreciating asset like a 50k auto at 36 is your choice of lifestyle.
After my doing what your considering doing when I was financially flush*@ 31, I now recognize that expenditure as a mistake. I was advised then it was a mistake. I did it anyhow.
I now know I would rather have been saving it to become FI, would you rather be FI?
Your call.
Last edited by aspirit on Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations.

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:53 pm

BMW M240i Coupe (if you never drive on snow) or M240i xDrive Coupe (if you drive on snow).

This car will take you right to your $50K limit, but you will love it. It will make your drive a pleasure.

jbuzolich

Post by jbuzolich » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:20 pm

Subaru legacy limited. I've done many seven hour drives in mine and find it very comfortable. Eyesight system is great for highway cruising or stop and go bumper to bumper traffic. Just did Sacramento to Disneyland and back with it. Less than two tanks of gas in total.

boglebill2015

Post by boglebill2015 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:52 pm

Some of these responses are funny. Many a boglehead is a closet Mr. Money Mustache

If someone says their budget is 50K for a commuter that is commensurate

1) with their age 36
2) marital status (single),
3) presumably financial position- (doing quite well),

then he isnt looking at a camry, accord or CRV .

I'd say that a 3 years old loaded MBZ E350, BMW 5 series or Audi A6 would come in under budget, or could stretch a little and get a new one with less options. With the massive push toward CUVs, used versions of these German sedans are quite sharply priced, and deals are out there on new as well. They'll drive great, be quiet and comfortable, get pretty good mileage, and will be a "rolling sports jacket" that says you are man of some means.

FisherBlack

Post by FisherBlack » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:24 am

OP here. I will respond to some that had question but many thanks TO EVERYONE!!
rolandtorres wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:47 pm
I think you're saying you want something that cruises comfortably and comes nicely equipped, assuming you're mostly doing highway miles. Big Lexus sedan says "married dad" to me and am guessing you want to project more "single and tasteful". I'd say used Tesla S or new Audi Q5
Yes comfortable ride and suitable to a single guy of my age. I like the way you put it .... *single and tasteful*. How reliable are the Audis? I don't enjoy going to the mechanic shops, even at a delear's.
bloom2708 wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:22 am
I see the LS is too big. Hmmm. Too bad. You can get a beautiful, lower mileage Lexus LS 460 for well under $50k.

Did you drive the Lexus ES? That would fall into the Avalon size. A sedan is still the most comfortable to me.

Toyota Avalon. Audi A6. Camry Hybrid.

Did anyone see the story that Ford is dropping all sedans except Mustang and a new Focus. All other sedans are going away. Gulp. Focus, Fusion, Fiesta, Taurus, C-Max.
I did not test drive ES. I suspect ES is just a nicely equiped Camry or Avalon ... highly reliable but nothing thrilling like its cousin LS.
open_circuit wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:33 am
Two nice used cars and switch every few days based on the weather?
I have considered this a lot but I will need buy a (town)house with two car garages first.

dsmclone wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:49 am
I'm going to assume this 45 minute commute is mostly highway? If 90% of my driving was focused on this type of driving, I would focus on two things good technology and comfortable ride.

I had a Infiniti M56x and I felt like it was a great car for this type of driving. Big V8 that's quiet, smooth ride, amazing interior, and great tech for the time (2011)

The #1 tech item I would focus on is adaptive cruise. There is such a wide difference between how good these systems are between manufacturers. The one in my Infiniti was one of the first cars that used this technology and it sucked so bad that I never used it. In the last 7 year,s the technology has really improved and it's really nice to be able to set the cruise and just have it set the speed and distance without you intervening.

If you're looking at a midsize/large luxury vehicle they should all ride nice, all have lots of tech, etc. The other key feature they all have is crappy resale. Go buy a 1 year old $70k low mileage CPO for $50k and let some other fool take the hit.
You are right, good technology and comfortable ride are important. Thank you for mentioning adaptive cruise.

killjoy2012 wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:51 pm
Most of the vehicles mentioned in this thread so far are not what I'd attribute to a successful, 36 yo single male. But if a Lexus LS/GS is what you're leaning towards, I'd just go buy a well equipped Camry - same thing - and save the Lexus name premium.
I see your point. What do you suggest for *a successful, 36 yo single male*?

ssquared87 wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:20 pm
Hyundai Genesis is perfect for your situation and has extremely good reliability, style, comfort and value.

It was a top contender for me when I was looking for my last car. Ended up going with a BMW 5 instead because it is a bit more agile, and I like the interior better. Honestly though, it's probably not wort the $10-15k extra over the Genesis, but I know how to do the maintenance and a lot of repairs on BMW, plus my last BMW saved me in a crash so I didn't really care about the extra money. Not to say the Genesis wouldn't be just as good in a crash, but I'm just biased from my extremely good history with the brand.

When you say the Lexus GS is too hard, do you mean the ride or the seats? For seats, hard seats are a good thing because if the seats are soft your back will get fatigued on longer drives. The key though is to have a seat that is hard, but properly shaped to your body. Mercedes, Audi, and BMW Multi-Contour seats are some of the most comfortable seats out there, even though they are hard.

I test drove GS right after LS and it was a combination of the seats and ride, but mostly the seats. I will need to do more research on this.
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:24 pm
If a Lexus LS says married dad, an Avalon/es screams "you're a beautiful girl, you should meet my grandson". Find a used Lotus Evora. I found that they ride very well plus a good number of top handling cars had Lotus engineer the handling.
If a Lexus LS says married dad, an Avalon/es screams "you're a beautiful girl, you should meet my grandson" lol:) :) :)

aspirit wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:19 pm
I appreciate your username. It suggest's your investment/economics enthusiasm.
Buying a depreciating asset like a 50k auto at 36 is your choice of lifestyle.
After my doing what your considering doing when I was financially flush*@ 31, I now recognize that expenditure as a mistake. I was advised then it was a mistake. I did it anyhow.
I now know I would rather have been saving it to become FI, would you rather be FI?
Your call.
He was a true genious.

I looked at the tradeoffs between consumption now vs later. I have no planned biquest motive except the residual amount which will go to my undergraduate alma, in addition to what I give them now. (Side note: came to the country with $100 in my pocket and full scholarship when I was 18. That scholarship had a huge impact in my life.) Kids, if/when they come, will have all the opportunities possible (good education etc.) but no handouts under normal circumstances.

==========
I typed this from my phone. Itbmay be fragmented and with errors... oh well...

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:26 am

killjoy2012 wrote:
You can say this with an ES but an LS/GS is a LOT different than a well equipped Camry. This sounds like something a BMW/Mercedes owner would say. On a side note, I'm a BMW owner and have owned a lot of luxury brands.

Murgatroyd

Post by Murgatroyd » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:38 am

Caddy ATS and to some extent CTS would be within image. High performance, technology and comfort. We have a 2008 CTS that’s still a dream to drive and is no less reliable than anything else we’ve owned. Except the Lexus GS that was a lemon - no kidding.

killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:39 am

FisherBlack wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:24 am
killjoy2012 wrote:
I see your point. What do you suggest for *a successful, 36 yo single male*?
I think your choice needs to reflect your personality. Most of the cars listed in this thread may be very nice, but are generally associated/targeted for a customer that is 20 years older than you, or is married with kids and is the "compromise car" that the wife would approve. I can't tell you what to buy because it should be based on you - what hobbies do you have, do you like trucks, SUVs, sports cars? But at 36 being a single male myself, I'd rather have a cool car that I liked and fit my personality/hobbies/lifestyle, rather than having the absolutely most reliable car that CR or some 1980's view of the auto market thinks is the most practical choice.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:40 am

dsmclone wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:26 am
killjoy2012 wrote:
You can say this with an ES but an LS/GS is a LOT different than a well equipped Camry. This sounds like something a BMW/Mercedes owner would say. On a side note, I'm a BMW owner and have owned a lot of luxury brands.
+1 An ES is not a Camry either. I read that over and over, but it just isn't true. If you are fine with a Camry, buy the Camry. The ES, LS, GS engineering, noise reduction, refinement are not the same as a Camry. You can say that to justify either based on how much you want to spend.

GCD

Post by GCD » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:42 am

My wife and I like our Acadia. It also has plenty of room for 2 kids, a dog and stuff. I don't remember what we paid for it though.