COMCAST - Modem / Router recommendation

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
RMO87

COMCAST - Modem / Router recommendation

Post by RMO87 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:02 pm

My 24-month contract with Comcast Xfinity internet comes up in the next week or two. Currently, the modem is included, so I am not paying extra to rent it. I've been researching new promotions lately, but the lower speed tiers do not include the modem.

I'm thinking it would make economical sense if I purchased a modem and router outright, so that depending on the cost (less than $200?), the breakeven will be less than two years.

What modem / router do Bogleheads use and recommend?

Thanks in advance!
Ryan

Easy Rhino

Re: COMCAST - Modem / Router recommendation

Post by Easy Rhino » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:20 pm

Get a cable modem fast enough to support whatever you're paying for from Comcast.

Get a router that can handle the speed from comcast, size of your house, and number and speed of your devices.

Most flexibility if you get cable modem and router separately.

DOCSIS 3.0 is the old/current standard.
8 channel will claim "up to 384mbps", but will work with 150mpbs or a bit higher server.
15, 24, and 32 channel modems increase speed linearly. 32 channel is needed for gigabit.

DOCSIS 3.1 is the new standard, this is what's encouraged for gibabit service.

Careful with modems if you're a gamer or very sensitive to VOIP/facetime usage. Modems with an Intel Puma 6 chipset (there are a lot of them) tend to have worse latency and jitter. I don't notice it with web and netflix, but it's measurably like 100ms worse than my other modem.

As for the router, let us know
* speed of your service from comcast
* your primary use network devices
* size of house
* if you have any signifcant network usage within your own LAN(file or video server, etc).
* current model of comcast device and how well it for you

or... you can go to smallnetbuilder.com and to a ton of reading :)

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:32 pm

Definitely buy your own router and modem. Make then separate units. Easy Rhino ^^ has some good suggestions. If you want to keep it easy, a lot people use the Motorola Surfboard cable modem. It's Docsis 3.0 which is fine for typical users (I'm inferring that includes you (and me) since you're posting not answering this question), it's cheap, and it's reliable. You can refurbished units pretty readily for $40-60. They seem to be on woot.com every month or so. That's where I got mine. For a router, if you don't have special uses for it or a need to dive deep into the settings, consider going over to Wirecutter.com and see what they're recommending right now as "The Best router for most people.". If you're not familiar, Wirecutter is a review site owned by NYTimes. It's geared toward millennials in cities but generally decent for stuff like this. They generate revenue through referall links, so he aware of that, but their recommendation should suit your needs.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

MP123

Post by MP123 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:46 pm

FWIW I recently got an email from xfinity saying my owned docsis 3.0 modem was out of date and should be upgraded to a 3.1 version. No threat to disconnect service or anything but probably time for an upgrade anyway. It may depend on your area I guess.

The Surfboard SB8200 was an easy swap. Under $200 on Amazon.

Amphian

Post by Amphian » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:50 pm

Comcast gives you a page to look up recommended equipment. Log into your account and then go to https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com - you have to do the login first or it redirects for a login and then doesn't come back. That page lets you enter your area code and speed and brings up a list of supported devices for the modem. I have the Arris SB6190, which I got for about $100, but I also get about 180 Mbps down, so you could likely go cheaper if you are an a low speed plan. I use a Time Capsule as a router.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:56 pm

I liked this asus router so much I purchased a second one to replace an old extender.
https://www.amazon.com/Dual-band-Wirele ... ref=plSrch
Has an app for setup, easy configuration, solid speed and stability.

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:19 pm

mhalley wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:56 pm
I liked this asus router so much I purchased a second one to replace an old extender.
https://www.amazon.com/Dual-band-Wirele ... ref=plSrch
Has an app for setup, easy configuration, solid speed and stability.
ASUS makes good home routers. Mine is 4 years and despite being stuffed in a poorly ventilated cabinet is humming along just fine. I'd strongly recommend a good ASUS product. This one seems well priced.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

Post by 123 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:29 pm

MP123 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:46 pm
FWIW I recently got an email from xfinity saying my owned docsis 3.0 modem was out of date and should be upgraded to a 3.1 version. No threat to disconnect service or anything but probably time for an upgrade anyway. It may depend on your area I guess.

The Surfboard SB8200 was an easy swap. Under $200 on Amazon.
We also got an email from xfinity about the inadequacy of our current modem (docsis 3.0) to support the speed(s) available from xfinity. However it supports our current level of subscribed service just fine. We don't plan to change our internet service to a level that requires a more advanced modem.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Y.A.Tittle

Post by Y.A.Tittle » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:15 pm

The last time I bought a cable modem I returned my leased unit to Comcast and bought one on Amazon for $70.

Now Comcast is “recommending” that I upgrade and pointing me to Amazon where the new modem costs almost $200.

I smell a rat.

RMO87

Post by RMO87 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:47 pm

I am looking at either 60 or 150 mbps internet in a 2,000 square foot house. There are four of us--no gaming, just email, web surfing, You Tube videos, some Netfix. Nothing else on the LAN, just laptop, tablets, iPod. We currently have the Wireless Gateway (combo modem/router provided by Comcast) which has served us well.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:51 pm

Anecdotal but had an Arris that dropped signal frequently and many others had the same issue even though it was a 5 star rating. Motorola one has been great. Find ones that have over 100 reviews and read the 1 star reviews. Make sure the return policy and warranty is good. You may want to separate the modem and router in case one fails you just replace that one piece although ours is a combo and it works great for the whole house (not large but 3 stories).

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:52 pm

OP,

Check out Costco. They have the best return policy.

KlangFool

Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:34 pm

okay, what's with comcast trying to scare off people with relatively slow internet service and telling them they need to upgrade to docsis 3.1? I hear that docsis 3.1 is supposed to have some efficiency benefits for the cable company, but that just seems unnecessary and rude.

anyway, ideas for your setup, I looked at slickdeals and found:

For an all in one, and ebay seller has an all-in-one item for around $140 that would be very similar to comcast's device.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ARRIS-SURFboar ... rmvSB=true

...i know I warned against all in ones.

Piecing it together separately, If you're on a budget I'd go with:

For the modem, if you want to do a mail in rebate for $10, you can get this:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... gnorebbr=1
and use coupon code EMCPTRV48 to make it a net price of $40.

plus a refurbished tmobile 'cellspot' router which is actually a rebadged Asus, and you don't need tmobile or anything.
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-AC1900- ... bebaaf0INT
costs about $60

(if you want to nerd out you can re-flash with non tmobile firmware, but not really necessary for normal usage)

either setup should give you performance around equal or a bit better than your current comcast device.

RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:53 pm

1. Don't waste your money going for a Docsis 3.1 ( vs 3.0 ) unit, unless you need/want and Comcast can provide real GB+ speeds. The 3.0 spec supports speeds up to at least 800 MB.
2. The Motorola Surfboards are now ARRIS Surfboards.
3. The top speed of a Surfboard unit varies depending on the number channels it supports. Do check that before you buy.
4. Even the oldest ARRIS / Motorola Surfboards will support 150+ MB, a speed at which Comcast is charging extra for.
5. Don't spend extra for extra Comcast speed when your wireless router can't support it, or your distance from the wireless is such that you are only getting 1/4th its rated speed.

As for the person that posted saying they got a letter from Comcast about needing to upgrade, all Comcast is doing is trying to drum up the business profits by getting you to pay for a premium cost extra service.

Lastly, when you turn in your old Comcast equipment, do so in person, deal only with a counter agent - no drop off, get a receipt with s/n, keep that receipt for a long time ( years ), and make sure it comes off your bill.

You can likely register/switch to the new modem online before you return the old. Worst case, you will have to call customer service and give them the Mac-Address of the new modem. They do this registering all the time and generally don't hassle you.

RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:03 pm

RMO87,

You didn't say anything about you having Comcast Voice-Telephone. If you do, that throws a monkey wrench in the works.

If you don't, everything said so far applies.

Smorgasbord

Post by Smorgasbord » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:07 pm

Back around the first of the year I was planning to switch my DSL to Cable for a couple months (to qualify as a new DSL customer :oops: ), and ended up buying a DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem Plus N300 Router Model MG7310 Modem/Router Combo for $30 off Ebay. I was planning on getting Comcast's 60 meg service. Ultimately, the DSL had a hefty early termination fee (argh!) so I have to wait until the summer to do the switch.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:57 pm

RetiredAL wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:53 pm
1. Don't waste your money going for a Docsis 3.1 ( vs 3.0 ) unit, unless you need/want and Comcast can provide real GB+ speeds. The 3.0 spec supports speeds up to at least 800 MB.
Not all 3.0 modems are created equal. The number of channels will vary.
Eventually, Comcast will stop supporting 3.0 . This may be a long way off. It may be smart to go to 3.1 today - or maybe not, time will tell.

Even though the 3.0 spec is capable of such speeds, the way they have implemented certain plans, even lower speeds may require a 3.1 modem.
For instance, in September, Comcast offered to upgrade me from my Blast 105 to Extreme 250 at no extra cost.
I was using an SB6121 modem (owned) which is a 3.0 modem. The speed actually dropped to something dismal, like 40/5 - slower than I was getting before. I upgraded the modem to a 3.1 to get more channels and get the newly provided speed.

A 6-months ordeal followed during which signal dropped intermittently 20 times a day. I went through 3 separate modems (some owned, one rented) and many, many, Comcast service calls, and service credit for outages that added up to about 70% of my bills. In January, they finally fixed their network to work properly with the extra channels up to my house, and it works at the advertised speed without dropouts now. The modem I settled on is an Arris SB8200 . I recommend it over the Motorola MB8600 . Both are DOCSIS 3.1 modems.
However, Comcast techs are able to monitor the line status remotely on the SB8200, but not on the MB8600. If you ever have any signal issues that need diagnosing, you want the SB8200, not the MB8600 that I had originally bought, and sold at a loss.

RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:18 pm

madbrain wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:57 pm
RetiredAL wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:53 pm
Not all 3.0 modems are created equal. The number of channels will vary. I said that.
Eventually, Comcast will stop supporting 3.0 . This may be a long way off. It may be smart to go to 3.1 today - or maybe not, time will tell.

Even though the 3.0 spec is capable of such speeds, the way they have implemented certain plans, even lower speeds may require a 3.1 modem.
For instance, in September, Comcast offered to upgrade me from my Blast 105 to Extreme 250 at no extra cost.
I was using an SB6121 modem (owned) which is a 3.0 modem. The speed actually dropped to something dismal, like 40/5 - slower than I was getting before. I upgraded the modem to a 3.1 to get more channels and get the newly provided speed.

A 6-months ordeal followed during which signal dropped intermittently 20 times a day. I went through 3 separate modems (some owned, one rented) and many, many, Comcast service calls, and service credit for outages that added up to about 70% of my bills. In January, they finally fixed their network to work properly with the extra channels up to my house, and it works at the advertised speed without dropouts now. The modem I settled on is an Arris SB8200 . I recommend it over the Motorola MB8600 . Both are DOCSIS 3.1 modems.
However, Comcast techs are able to monitor the line status remotely on the SB8200, but not on the MB8600. If you ever have any signal issues that need diagnosing, you want the SB8200, not the MB8600 that I had originally bought, and sold at a loss.
DOCSIS specs call for backwards comparability. Does not surprise me to hear that Comcast chose to not support the spec even though they tell you that you have to. The SB6121 does not have the channels to support 250Mb, but Comcast's system should have automatically adjusted to the max that modem supports, which I believe is 180Mb. Funny how Comcast always says their system is fine.

As for signal levels, do note, that when my Dad had X1 installed at his home, they also proactively installed an amplified splitter because their X1 boxes need better signal levels, and its cheaper the add a house amp than to upgrade their street/tap signal levels.

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:25 pm

Just FYI,

When you turn in your old equipment be sure to get a detailed receipt for it and keep the receipt for a long time. Comcast has been known to come back 18 months later and try to bill you for the equipment and in some cases the first people find out about it is when a collection agency contacts them.

They did that a lot a few years ago.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:12 pm

RetiredAL wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:18 pm
DOCSIS specs call for backwards comparability. Does not surprise me to hear that Comcast chose to not support the spec even though they tell you that you have to. The SB6121 does not have the channels to support 250Mb, but Comcast's system should have automatically adjusted to the max that modem supports, which I believe is 180Mb. Funny how Comcast always says their system is fine.
Yes, Comcast has specific profiles for each modem. And they put the SB6121 on their "obsolete" list. And the profile did not support the higher speed ... Their system certainly is not fine.
As for signal levels, do note, that when my Dad had X1 installed at his home, they also proactively installed an amplified splitter because their X1 boxes need better signal levels, and its cheaper the add a house amp than to upgrade their street/tap signal levels.
Various technicians played along with amplifiers, splitters, and all kinds of things, but nothing helped until they finally got the message they just had to fix their network. My house is in the hills and the very last one on their line. I don't claim to fully understand the architecture of their network, but one of the techs gave me the location of their "node" and it was about a mile away. It was a huge nightmare getting the higher speed to work. Their lines could support the lower speeds with the old modem, but not the higher speeds that required more channels.

The most infuriating part of dealing with Comcast was when looking at signal levels on the modem's admin UI, no two people at Comcast could tell me the same thing as to what was considered "in spec". And indeed, the various techs that came (never the same) seemed to have completely opposite opinions as to what was in spec or not.

They offered gigabit for an extra $30/month (total $89), but with a 24 months contract . I turned it down. I want higher upload speed, and it would barely be higher. Extreme 250 is 250 down 25 up . Their "gigabit" service would be 1000 down, but still only 35 up. I really don't care about 1000 down, but I would like to have at least 100 up, and 300+ would certainly be nice. I would pay the $30/month extra for that.

AT&T fiber has higher speeds, symmetrical, with no data caps, only one mile away, down the hill. I am hoping they will come to my neck of the woods. One AT&T tech I talked to said our neighborhood would probably be the last in the city to ever get it due to low population density. No ETA. Could be years still.

RMO87

Post by RMO87 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:40 pm

No, I don't have Comcast Voice, just internet. I use Ooma for my home phone, so I assume Ooma just plugs into any router?

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:09 pm

RMO87 wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:40 pm
No, I don't have Comcast Voice, just internet. I use Ooma for my home phone, so I assume Ooma just plugs into any router?
I have Ooma also. And yes, it plugs into any router. But the modem and router may be separate. I personally use separate equipment for the modem, wired router and wireless access points.

RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:13 am

madbrain wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:12 pm

Various technicians played along with amplifiers, splitters, and all kinds of things, but nothing helped until they finally got the message they just had to fix their network. My house is in the hills and the very last one on their line. I don't claim to fully understand the architecture of their network, but one of the techs gave me the location of their "node" and it was about a mile away. It was a huge nightmare getting the higher speed to work. Their lines could support the lower speeds with the old modem, but not the higher speeds that required more channels.

The most infuriating part of dealing with Comcast was when looking at signal levels on the modem's admin UI, no two people at Comcast could tell me the same thing as to what was considered "in spec". And indeed, the various techs that came (never the same) seemed to have completely opposite opinions as to what was in spec or not.

They offered gigabit for an extra $30/month (total $89), but with a 24 months contract . I turned it down. I want higher upload speed, and it would barely be higher. Extreme 250 is 250 down 25 up . Their "gigabit" service would be 1000 down, but still only 35 up. I really don't care about 1000 down, but I would like to have at least 100 up, and 300+ would certainly be nice. I would pay the $30/month extra for that.

AT&T fiber has higher speeds, symmetrical, with no data caps, only one mile away, down the hill. I am hoping they will come to my neck of the woods. One AT&T tech I talked to said our neighborhood would probably be the last in the city to ever get it due to low population density. No ETA. Could be years still.

Mad One....

I don't consider a mile to their node as excessive. The condition of their physical cable and their amplifiers is the issue. A poor connector at any tap, amplifier, splitter, or a cracked cable on their overhead line could create an intermittent frequency dependent suck-out trap, yet the pilot signal they use to set their amp gains says all is OK, which is their quick check. If it was in a busy neighborhood, they'd get more complaints and might have responded faster. My guess is they finally did a spectral sweep test ( a wide range of frequencies ), said Oh $%%t, and went about fixing the issue(s).

I have lots of experience ( seen a thing or two ) with older pure analog cable TV, and digital requires higher and steadier signal levels. Digital cable is not like Ethernet. On the street, the coaxial cable is much closer to analog, with multiple RF carriers modulated digitally instead of multiple carriers modulated with analog. Where digital cable diverges, is where the fiber line ( pure digital ) interfaces to the coax which is basically analog.

If you need better upload, consider Comcast Business, which supports "symmetrical". Their business modem/router is generally rated good.

I live in the middle of Silicon Valley, and AT&T fiber support here has been pathetic, but they are finally starting that way.

My daughter lives in rural Montana in a town of 900, with 2500 in the county, and the rural telephone co-op replaced all the copper with fiber for everyone several years back for telephone, internet, and cable tv. She does not do cable tv, but does Netflix and Amazon Video over the internet.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:21 am

I tend to replace my cable modem about every 6-8 years, which is typically a few years after they fall off the "supported" list. I always get the highest-end SurfBoard available at that time. So that meant a Motorola 5120 in 2005, a Motorola 6121 in 2011, and an Arris 8200 earlier this year. The 8200 theoretically supports 10Gbps (but has two Gigabit ethernet ports. :oops: ), and my service is only 105Mb, so it seems like extreme overkill. But it also supports 32 channels, which can help make your speed more stable during times of high congestion on your local node, because not all modems do. And it doesn't have the dreaded Puma chipset.

I paid $190 for the sb8200, and should now be good until 2025 or so. about $2.25/mo.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:25 am

Netgear Nighthawk AC1750 router along with Arris Surfboard modem are what I have and they will serve you well. Once I upgraded those from my old modem and router, my internet speed got tremendously faster.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:31 pm

RetiredAL wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:13 am
I don't consider a mile to their node as excessive. The condition of their physical cable and their amplifiers is the issue. A poor connector at any tap, amplifier, splitter, or a cracked cable on their overhead line could create an intermittent frequency dependent suck-out trap, yet the pilot signal they use to set their amp gains says all is OK, which is their quick check. If it was in a busy neighborhood, they'd get more complaints and might have responded faster. My guess is they finally did a spectral sweep test ( a wide range of frequencies ), said Oh $%%t, and went about fixing the issue(s).
I really wish they could give me any technical information at all about what they did. Comcast technicians were telling me I was supposed to receive email updates on my many trouble tickets. I never got a single one. Agree the condition of the cable & other equipment was likely the issue. With my house being at the very end of the line, it's possible only a few homes at the end were affected.

I don't subscribe to any cable TV package - only Internet. I now have software hat monitors my internet connection 24/7 - Smokeping on an Odroid XU4. So if I ever have Internet connection trouble again, I'll have reams of data to prove it to Comcast.
If you need better upload, consider Comcast Business, which supports "symmetrical". Their business modem/router is generally rated good.
I was on Comcast teleworker for a while at around $40/month, but the speeds where much lower. It only went down once, for a whole week, during which Comcast could not acknowledge that I even ever had service with them at my address. Apparently, the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing in that company. Being in the hills, we don't even get cell phone signal in the house. We now have an in-home cell phone tower that works off the internet. If cable goes down, so does the cell phone service. And so does the Ooma VoIP service. The only thing that always keeps working is the Dish network satellite, and OTA TV antenna. We get a great signal even from 50+ miles away.

As far as Comcast business goes, I don't see where they advertise upload speed at all, only download speed.
https://business.comcast.com/internet/business-internet . At least, I couldn't find where it is.

I don't need many of the things that those services include, like static IPs, their Wifi (I have my own access points, thank you), backup service (I'll use cloud services of my choice), or their voice service. The only thing that looks potentially attractive is the cell phone backup if cable goes down. That's assuming the cell signal of the backup carrier they use would reach inside the house, unless they put some sort of cell antenna outside. Cell signal with all the carriers is very intermittent - changes from non-existent to OK depending on the room and the weather. That's why we have the in-home T-mobile IP tower.

I'll note that when we get power outages, the cell towers in the neighborhood get completely overwhelmed and data service is totally useless, even when venturing outside. If the cable outage coincides with a power outage, the 4K cell backup might not be that useful, unless maybe there is some sort of QOS that prioritizes it.

Anyway, I don't think this is really something I would be willing to pay much extra for - just cable service with the same download speed I have today, but much higher upload speed and no data cap is what I would want. That doesn't seem to be something Comcast is selling today, either to consumers or businesses.
My daughter lives in rural Montana in a town of 900, with 2500 in the county, and the rural telephone co-op replaced all the copper with fiber for everyone several years back for telephone, internet, and cable tv. She does not do cable tv, but does Netflix and Amazon Video over the internet.
I don't stream any kind of video because the services are overcompressed and look and sound pretty bad compared to HD blu-ray and UHD blu-ray in my home theater with the 15 speakers and 4K projectors. Satellite picture is not great but the sound is still not as crappy as the streaming services.
I may give up the sat too and go OTA-only though, as I'm mostly watching the local channels. The Dish DVR has a very good UI though, and I don't have a DVR program as good as the Dish DVR UI that I can run on my HTPC even though it already has 4 OTA HD tuners and plenty of storage.

Movies for us usually involve trips to Red box, or purchased 4K discs from Amazon, or going to the actual theater in person, not streaming. Occasionally I subscribe to the Netflix disc in the mail service for a short time and then cancel. I don't see anyone filling our needs for video, possibly ever, if it's anywhere near the same as audio. The only high res audio streaming service that I know of is Tidal, but you cannot purchase high res downloads. Everyone else is selling crappy compressed MP3s. Hence, the 15,000+ physical CDs we have in the house, and no audio streaming or downloads either.

kappy

Post by kappy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:41 pm

For my Comcast 150Mbps service, I bought an ARRIS SURFboard SB6183 modem for under $70 on Amazon and I use a Linksys WRT1900AC wifi router as it was the lowest cost and always came in near the top of bandwidth and range.

GreenGrowTheDollars

Post by GreenGrowTheDollars » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:53 pm

Warning: When you turn in your old Comcast modem, KEEP THE RECEIPT!

They have a buggy system and you can find yourself getting charged repeatedly for modem rental. I went through months of this and was very thankful that I kept the proof that I'd turned it in. Reps would remove the charge, but some kind of zombie system would keep re-inserting it.

http://time.com/money/4209556/comcast-m ... es-ripoff/