How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
cherijoh
Posts: 4960
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:49 pm
Location: Charlotte NC

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by cherijoh » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:51 am

vested1 wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:55 am
I was being punished very publicly for refusing to work 12 hour days on the previous weekend with no pay, even though "everyone else always did it". I was supposed to get my quarterly evaluation (my first) that day, but the time for it came and went. My director (the one who had been verbally abusing me in public) wouldn't answer my phone calls, even though he was only steps away in his office, so I sent him a two sentence email saying I was quitting and would be gone by 10 am, leaving my company's leased vehicle keys and laptop on my desk. Magically, he appeared immediately and spent the next hour begging me to stay.
Wow! :shock: I hope you were able to find another job quickly.

I'm curious - were there any warning signs that you realized in hindsight pointed towards the toxic environment? Any questions you wished you had asked during the interview process?

User avatar
samsoes
Posts: 879
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:12 am
Location: Northeast Rat Race

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by samsoes » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:04 am

4 Iron wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:41 am
samsoes wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:07 pm
A friend of mine announced his retirement by going into his boss' office late one afternoon and said, "By the way, today was my last day." He handed the boss his company-issued cellphone, walked out, and never looked back.

He's my inspiration.
I feel sorry for your friend, I doubt that kind of attitude often leads to a successful or fufilling life. Did you friend not make personal relationships with co-workers or customers? People who have built something and put many years of effort into their career rarely leave on such terms.
He and his wife are lovin' life, on month+ long cruises a couple of times a year with a very active social life among friends locally, plus kids, grandkids, etc. Work got in the way of life, I suppose. I wholeheartedly understand.

Edit: typo
Last edited by samsoes on Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

User avatar
samsoes
Posts: 879
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:12 am
Location: Northeast Rat Race

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by samsoes » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:08 am

dbr wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:49 am
4 Iron wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:41 am
samsoes wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:07 pm
A friend of mine announced his retirement by going into his boss' office late one afternoon and said, "By the way, today was my last day." He handed the boss his company-issued cellphone, walked out, and never looked back.

He's my inspiration.
I feel sorry for your friend, I doubt that kind of attitude often leads to a successful or fufilling life. Did you friend not make personal relationships with co-workers or customers? People who have built something and put many years of effort into their career rarely leave on such terms.
Yes, for that to be an inspiration is really sad.
Some work so we can live. We don't live so we can work.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

zuma
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:15 pm

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by zuma » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:32 am

samsoes wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:08 am
dbr wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:49 am
4 Iron wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:41 am
samsoes wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:07 pm
A friend of mine announced his retirement by going into his boss' office late one afternoon and said, "By the way, today was my last day." He handed the boss his company-issued cellphone, walked out, and never looked back.

He's my inspiration.
I feel sorry for your friend, I doubt that kind of attitude often leads to a successful or fufilling life. Did you friend not make personal relationships with co-workers or customers? People who have built something and put many years of effort into their career rarely leave on such terms.
Yes, for that to be an inspiration is really sad.
Some work so we can live. We don't live so we can work.
Quitting your job is fine, but why leave without giving any advance notice? I would never do that unless there were serious problems with the company and culture.

User avatar
teacher
Posts: 995
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:45 pm
Location: California

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by teacher » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:57 am

My retirement crept up on me. I still loved my job teaching, but my mother's declining health and the birth of my first grandchild were factors that finally influenced my decision, in late May, to retire. I had three bosses; the most immediate had the least involvement and interest in my program, so I went to the central office and told the manager for whom I had most respect. He was surprised since I had shown no decline in my enthusiasm for teaching, and he showed concern about whether I had considered the economic impact of retiring. I had chosen the right person to tell fist.
Last edited by teacher on Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barefoot
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:30 pm

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by Barefoot » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:00 am

My last day is 4 weeks away. I have a very good relationship with my boss. I gave him 6 months notice verbally, then in writing to HR about 2 months later. Once he got over the initial shock, the conversation went to how long he has to hang in there before he can retire.

I had picked timing based on the end of a project I'm working on. It's looking like the project is going to get extended, but I'm not going to stay on any longer than I had initially told them.

vested1
Posts: 1599
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by vested1 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:36 am

cherijoh wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:51 am
vested1 wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:55 am
I was being punished very publicly for refusing to work 12 hour days on the previous weekend with no pay, even though "everyone else always did it". I was supposed to get my quarterly evaluation (my first) that day, but the time for it came and went. My director (the one who had been verbally abusing me in public) wouldn't answer my phone calls, even though he was only steps away in his office, so I sent him a two sentence email saying I was quitting and would be gone by 10 am, leaving my company's leased vehicle keys and laptop on my desk. Magically, he appeared immediately and spent the next hour begging me to stay.
Wow! :shock: I hope you were able to find another job quickly.

I'm curious - were there any warning signs that you realized in hindsight pointed towards the toxic environment? Any questions you wished you had asked during the interview process?
I retired the day I walked out the door, so wasn't looking for another job.

I was ready to retire before I took the job. I had been told that there was a lot of pressure from those who worked there whom I interacted with in my previous job. But they approached me, not the other way around, and required that I give my previous employer only 1 day's notice the day after I was interviewed. Since the previous job was stonewalling me on a pay raise I didn't mind giving them 1 day's notice.

I made it clear to my new employer before signing on that I wouldn't put up with broken promises, but that I would be loyal and save them a lot of capital expense if they kept their word. I was interviewed by 3 directors and told them all that I didn't need the job, but they wanted me anyway because they had a talent deficit. They asked me for a time commitment so I gave them a year, but left after 4 months. They doubled the pay of my previous job at my insistence, but didn't let me work from home, although they promised I could do so 3 days a week, and required that I report to the office every day in the east bay, over 100 miles from home. It took a week to get a leased vehicle from the company, but they refused to pay mileage for my commute before they issued me the vehicle. They said I would occasionally have to work a Saturday, but only in emergencies. That turned into both weekend days every week with no apparent emergency. I rarely complied. The commute was over 5k miles a month, with most of my work in downtown SF, engineering new facility placement under the streets of the financial district. I had over 30 projects going, all in the multiple 100k range, some far larger. They refused to pay for bridge tolls, parking, or Per Diem, even though they promised to.

What they didn't expect is that I would keep my word, and that I wouldn't put up with abuse. They weren't used to hearing the word "No". I added that word to their vocabulary.

User avatar
samsoes
Posts: 879
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:12 am
Location: Northeast Rat Race

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by samsoes » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:49 am

zuma wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:32 am
samsoes wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:08 am
dbr wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:49 am
4 Iron wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:41 am
samsoes wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:07 pm
A friend of mine announced his retirement by going into his boss' office late one afternoon and said, "By the way, today was my last day." He handed the boss his company-issued cellphone, walked out, and never looked back.

He's my inspiration.
I feel sorry for your friend, I doubt that kind of attitude often leads to a successful or fufilling life. Did you friend not make personal relationships with co-workers or customers? People who have built something and put many years of effort into their career rarely leave on such terms.
Yes, for that to be an inspiration is really sad.
Some work so we can live. We don't live so we can work.
Quitting your job is fine, but why leave without giving any advance notice? I would never do that unless there were serious problems with the company and culture.
When the company often initiates immediate (same-day) terminations to save a buck or because of age discriminate, all bets are off.

"Employee at will" is the term, I believe.

Works both ways.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

User avatar
Earl Lemongrab
Posts: 5687
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:14 am

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:50 am

I had told my supervisor and my project manager about a year before that I was thinking about retiring. Things didn't get going as fast as originally planned. When I finally made the decision, it was the day of my year-end review. I filled out the forms online right before the meeting.

When I went in, he asked, "Something you want to tell me?" He had received an alert. We did a cursory run-through of the performance review then kicked back and talked about stuff.

I then told the project manager. My final day was about six weeks, so we spent time planning hand-off of duties and I prepared a guide to the software that would hopefully be useful.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

User avatar
Ged
Posts: 3618
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 1:48 pm
Location: Roke

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by Ged » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:03 pm

Thesaints wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:10 pm
Not sure what your problem is. If you retire what do you care about what your ex-boss thinks ?
Exactly. Retirement is your boss's problem. Not yours.

SrGrumpy
Posts: 703
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by SrGrumpy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:27 pm

4 Iron wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:41 am
samsoes wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:07 pm
A friend of mine announced his retirement by going into his boss' office late one afternoon and said, "By the way, today was my last day." He handed the boss his company-issued cellphone, walked out, and never looked back.

He's my inspiration.
I feel sorry for your friend, I doubt that kind of attitude often leads to a successful or fufilling life. Did you friend not make personal relationships with co-workers or customers? People who have built something and put many years of effort into their career rarely leave on such terms.
Friendships with co-workers and customers end when the job ends. You really want to hang out with Doris from accounting? Or the guy who keeps asking you for discounts?

People who have "put many years of effort into their career" may feel they owe nothing more to their employer than the aforementioned one day's notice.

User avatar
obafgkm
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:12 am
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by obafgkm » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:29 pm

samsoes wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:04 am
He and his wife are lovin' life, on month+ long crises a couple of times a year with a very active social life...
I don't think I could live like that. I'd need to take a vacation...
:P

LiterallyIronic
Posts: 828
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:36 am

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by LiterallyIronic » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:37 pm

4 Iron wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:41 am
samsoes wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:07 pm
A friend of mine announced his retirement by going into his boss' office late one afternoon and said, "By the way, today was my last day." He handed the boss his company-issued cellphone, walked out, and never looked back.

He's my inspiration.
I feel sorry for your friend, I doubt that kind of attitude often leads to a successful or fufilling life. Did you friend not make personal relationships with co-workers or customers? People who have built something and put many years of effort into their career rarely leave on such terms.
That friend is my inspiration, too. Personal relationships with co-workers or customers? I've never spoken with a co-worker or customer outside of work. I did run into an former co-worker at the airport last year. He and I worked together for a year, ending in 2015. I couldn't remember his name. The Ron Swanson approach, I guess. Work is just work. Show up, put your headphones on, type some code, collect your paycheck. It's almost time for lunch and I haven't spoken to anyone yet today. Work is for money; family and friends are for personal relationships and fulfillment.

User avatar
SquawkIdent
Posts: 429
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:14 pm

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by SquawkIdent » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:37 pm

I haven't quit a job in a long, long time. But after taking too much abuse, my line to my boss was "Too bad, so sad. I quit." And I walked out before he could respond. Obviously, I wasn't looking for any type of reference. :sharebeer

User avatar
samsoes
Posts: 879
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:12 am
Location: Northeast Rat Race

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by samsoes » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:37 pm

obafgkm wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:29 pm
samsoes wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:04 am
He and his wife are lovin' life, on month+ long crises a couple of times a year with a very active social life...
I don't think I could live like that. I'd need to take a vacation...
:P
:oops:

"I'd like to buy a 'u' please" ...
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

User avatar
Earl Lemongrab
Posts: 5687
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:14 am

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:45 pm

I had a good relationship with both my supervisor and project manager. I certainly had no desire to leave them in the lurch. I had become sole developer/maintainer for a decent chunk of software. I don't know why I would have wanted to walk out without notice. What would that buy me?
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

4 Iron
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:35 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by 4 Iron » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:16 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:37 pm
4 Iron wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:41 am
samsoes wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:07 pm
A friend of mine announced his retirement by going into his boss' office late one afternoon and said, "By the way, today was my last day." He handed the boss his company-issued cellphone, walked out, and never looked back.

He's my inspiration.
I feel sorry for your friend, I doubt that kind of attitude often leads to a successful or fufilling life. Did you friend not make personal relationships with co-workers or customers? People who have built something and put many years of effort into their career rarely leave on such terms.
That friend is my inspiration, too. Personal relationships with co-workers or customers? I've never spoken with a co-worker or customer outside of work. I did run into an former co-worker at the airport last year. He and I worked together for a year, ending in 2015. I couldn't remember his name. The Ron Swanson approach, I guess. Work is just work. Show up, put your headphones on, type some code, collect your paycheck. It's almost time for lunch and I haven't spoken to anyone yet today. Work is for money; family and friends are for personal relationships and fulfillment.
Sounds like a sad way to go through work/life. I'd just challenge people not to have the you vs them mentality at their job, work and life in general is about relationships and serving others. I would imagine its a lot harder to be successful when you're purposely not interacting with anyone, but it might depend on the industry (i.e., coding).

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 4064
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:01 pm

samsoes wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:49 am
zuma wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:32 am
samsoes wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:08 am
dbr wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:49 am
4 Iron wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:41 am


I feel sorry for your friend, I doubt that kind of attitude often leads to a successful or fufilling life. Did you friend not make personal relationships with co-workers or customers? People who have built something and put many years of effort into their career rarely leave on such terms.
Yes, for that to be an inspiration is really sad.
Some work so we can live. We don't live so we can work.
Quitting your job is fine, but why leave without giving any advance notice? I would never do that unless there were serious problems with the company and culture.
When the company often initiates immediate (same-day) terminations to save a buck or because of age discriminate, all bets are off.

"Employee at will" is the term, I believe.

Works both ways.
But more often than not these corporate initiated terminations come with pretty generous separation packages so although the employ may not be given 2-weeks notice they will be terminated (no need to give notice because you expect if you do not much work, if any, would be done) they are still paid for a period of time. Oftentimes it might be one month salary for every year of service up to 6-months pay or similar. If it is a wide-spread lay-off, sometimes companies set up placement centers as well. Companies need to do this sometimes to survive - they don't do it out of ill-will.
Giving at least 2 weeks notice if you are quitting is simply the right thing to do. Longer notice is also nice in the case of retirement after you have spend years exchanging work for pay.
Folks often post here as if corporate America is so evil. My company pays me enough for me to afford to comfortably live, eat, put the kid through college, vacation, etc. I am thankful to have a good job and in turn would certainly not leave a job without notice.

Hockey10
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:20 pm
Location: Philadelphia suburbs

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by Hockey10 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:42 pm

At Megacorp, employees in my pay grade were required to give 60 days notice. I had been thinking about retiring probably all year. At my annual review in December, I told the boss (who I was on good terms with), that if they needed to reduce staff, instead of firing a couple of the lower paid younger employees, to just fire me. (I would have been eligible for 52 weeks severance). I waited a few months (hoping to get fired at any moment, but no luck there), and gave them 2.5 months notice. I did this over a cup of coffee in the cafeteria in the morning. The first words out of his mouth were asking me if I would consider working part-time. I chose not to take him up on his offer.

The hardest part of the process was that at least once per day, someone would stop by or call and say they heard I was retiring. (I was 55 years old, but looked to be about 45). Then I would get hit with questions / comments like "you are too young to retire", or "you can't retire until you are 65", or "how can you afford to retire", or "I am shocked, shocked that you are retiring". :shock: It was this daily inquisition that I hated the most.

dbr
Posts: 27207
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by dbr » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:58 pm

Hockey10 wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:42 pm
At Megacorp, employees in my pay grade were required to give 60 days notice. I had been thinking about retiring probably all year. At my annual review in December, I told the boss (who I was on good terms with), that if they needed to reduce staff, instead of firing a couple of the lower paid younger employees, to just fire me. (I would have been eligible for 52 weeks severance). I waited a few months (hoping to get fired at any moment, but no luck there), and gave them 2.5 months notice. I did this over a cup of coffee in the cafeteria in the morning. The first words out of his mouth were asking me if I would consider working part-time. I chose not to take him up on his offer.

The hardest part of the process was that at least once per day, someone would stop by or call and say they heard I was retiring. (I was 55 years old, but looked to be about 45). Then I would get hit with questions / comments like "you are too young to retire", or "you can't retire until you are 65", or "how can you afford to retire", or "I am shocked, shocked that you are retiring". :shock: It was this daily inquisition that I hated the most.
At my Megacorp I was never able to maneuver myself into a department offering a retirement incentive. Some people who ended up in poor performing corners of the company made out like bandits on separation packages when they were going anyway. They also came back and wanted me to do some consulting but once gone that wasn't anything I wanted to get involved in.

User avatar
samsoes
Posts: 879
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:12 am
Location: Northeast Rat Race

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by samsoes » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:33 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:01 pm
samsoes wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:49 am
zuma wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:32 am
samsoes wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:08 am
dbr wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:49 am


Yes, for that to be an inspiration is really sad.
Some work so we can live. We don't live so we can work.
Quitting your job is fine, but why leave without giving any advance notice? I would never do that unless there were serious problems with the company and culture.
When the company often initiates immediate (same-day) terminations to save a buck or because of age discriminate, all bets are off.

"Employee at will" is the term, I believe.

Works both ways.
But more often than not these corporate initiated terminations come with pretty generous separation packages so although the employ may not be given 2-weeks notice they will be terminated (no need to give notice because you expect if you do not much work, if any, would be done) they are still paid for a period of time. Oftentimes it might be one month salary for every year of service up to 6-months pay or similar. If it is a wide-spread lay-off, sometimes companies set up placement centers as well. Companies need to do this sometimes to survive - they don't do it out of ill-will.
Giving at least 2 weeks notice if you are quitting is simply the right thing to do. Longer notice is also nice in the case of retirement after you have spend years exchanging work for pay.
Folks often post here as if corporate America is so evil. My company pays me enough for me to afford to comfortably live, eat, put the kid through college, vacation, etc. I am thankful to have a good job and in turn would certainly not leave a job without notice.
Respectfully disagree with your assessment of Corporate America. It is an adversarial relationship. I've witnessed some evil acts, for sure.

Once you have some tire tracks on your back, you'll think differently.

PS - one month severance pay per year of service?? On which planet is this company?
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

User avatar
Artful Dodger
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:56 pm

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by Artful Dodger » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:54 pm

samsoes wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:33 pm
DaftInvestor wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:01 pm
samsoes wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:49 am
zuma wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:32 am
samsoes wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:08 am


Some work so we can live. We don't live so we can work.
Quitting your job is fine, but why leave without giving any advance notice? I would never do that unless there were serious problems with the company and culture.
When the company often initiates immediate (same-day) terminations to save a buck or because of age discriminate, all bets are off.

"Employee at will" is the term, I believe.

Works both ways.
But more often than not these corporate initiated terminations come with pretty generous separation packages so although the employ may not be given 2-weeks notice they will be terminated (no need to give notice because you expect if you do not much work, if any, would be done) they are still paid for a period of time. Oftentimes it might be one month salary for every year of service up to 6-months pay or similar. If it is a wide-spread lay-off, sometimes companies set up placement centers as well. Companies need to do this sometimes to survive - they don't do it out of ill-will.
Giving at least 2 weeks notice if you are quitting is simply the right thing to do. Longer notice is also nice in the case of retirement after you have spend years exchanging work for pay.
Folks often post here as if corporate America is so evil. My company pays me enough for me to afford to comfortably live, eat, put the kid through college, vacation, etc. I am thankful to have a good job and in turn would certainly not leave a job without notice.
Respectfully disagree with your assessment of Corporate America. It is an adversarial relationship. I've witnessed some evil acts, for sure.

Once you have some tire tracks on your back, you'll think differently.

PS - one month severance pay per year of service?? On which planet is this company?
I think it's professional to give as much notice as you can. In resigning to go to another employer - two weeks at least; if retiring, 2 to 3 months.

Fall 1999, my employer of 19 years had a large scale reduction in force. I was given notice the first week of October my employment would end Dec. 31. So, I had 3 months of work, and I wasn't expected to really work, then 9 months of severance pay including an estimate of bonus, so around $4500 a month, plus 9 months paid family COBRA. Earth. :wink:

Mdsmith2018
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:46 pm

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by Mdsmith2018 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:17 pm

From someone who went through a layoff and was given five minutes notice I have a different take. When I retire I will give notice when I’m ready to walk out the door. You never know how a boss or hr department will react. Especially a mega corp.

With that said, I will be prepared to stay for 90 days and will offer the option.

SrGrumpy
Posts: 703
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by SrGrumpy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:32 pm

Artful Dodger wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:54 pm
samsoes wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:33 pm

PS - one month severance pay per year of service?? On which planet is this company?

Fall 1999, my employer of 19 years had a large scale reduction in force. I was given notice the first week of October my employment would end Dec. 31. So, I had 3 months of work, and I wasn't expected to really work, then 9 months of severance pay including an estimate of bonus, so around $4500 a month, plus 9 months paid family COBRA. Earth. :wink:
Not sure about the math there. Anyway, that was almost 20 years ago. Severance is not nearly as generous now.

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 4064
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:10 pm

samsoes wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:33 pm
DaftInvestor wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:01 pm
samsoes wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:49 am
zuma wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:32 am
samsoes wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:08 am


Some work so we can live. We don't live so we can work.
Quitting your job is fine, but why leave without giving any advance notice? I would never do that unless there were serious problems with the company and culture.
When the company often initiates immediate (same-day) terminations to save a buck or because of age discriminate, all bets are off.

"Employee at will" is the term, I believe.

Works both ways.
But more often than not these corporate initiated terminations come with pretty generous separation packages so although the employ may not be given 2-weeks notice they will be terminated (no need to give notice because you expect if you do not much work, if any, would be done) they are still paid for a period of time. Oftentimes it might be one month salary for every year of service up to 6-months pay or similar. If it is a wide-spread lay-off, sometimes companies set up placement centers as well. Companies need to do this sometimes to survive - they don't do it out of ill-will.
Giving at least 2 weeks notice if you are quitting is simply the right thing to do. Longer notice is also nice in the case of retirement after you have spend years exchanging work for pay.
Folks often post here as if corporate America is so evil. My company pays me enough for me to afford to comfortably live, eat, put the kid through college, vacation, etc. I am thankful to have a good job and in turn would certainly not leave a job without notice.
Respectfully disagree with your assessment of Corporate America. It is an adversarial relationship. I've witnessed some evil acts, for sure.

Once you have some tire tracks on your back, you'll think differently.

PS - one month severance pay per year of service?? On which planet is this company?
All three companies with the one month/year policy I worked for were on planet Earth. One had this policy last year when some cut backs were necessary.
If you have "tracks on your back" from evil acts at the company you work for you should find a better company to work for (or perhaps you don't understand the tough business decisions companies need to make). I've worked all my life - 7 different companies - no tracks and no evil acts. Before your next job use things like glassdoor reviews to be sure you are going somewhere more suitable.

User avatar
samsoes
Posts: 879
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:12 am
Location: Northeast Rat Race

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by samsoes » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:13 pm

SrGrumpy wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:32 pm
Artful Dodger wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:54 pm
samsoes wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:33 pm

PS - one month severance pay per year of service?? On which planet is this company?

Fall 1999, my employer of 19 years had a large scale reduction in force. I was given notice the first week of October my employment would end Dec. 31. So, I had 3 months of work, and I wasn't expected to really work, then 9 months of severance pay including an estimate of bonus, so around $4500 a month, plus 9 months paid family COBRA. Earth. :wink:
Not sure about the math there. Anyway, that was almost 20 years ago. Severance is not nearly as generous now.
Agreed, not even close. And those outplacement referral firms, just about worthless. They're only used to self-assuage guilt on the part of the corporate angels of death.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

User avatar
Earl Lemongrab
Posts: 5687
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:14 am

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:53 pm

Not all companies work the same. I worked at Megacorp for 33+ years, and I wasn't unusual at all. They generally took care of salaried employees pretty well.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

User avatar
tennisplyr
Posts: 1858
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:53 pm
Location: Sarasota, FL

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by tennisplyr » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:59 pm

I kept it positive. I thanked him for the opportunity of working there but I've decided to pursuit personal interests. That's it, that's all, good bye, good night!
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

User avatar
Watty
Posts: 14397
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by Watty » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:11 pm

For about the last year or so before I retired I made sure that my work was well documented and there were as few loose ends as possible. I had taken a three week vacation a few months before to use up most of my vacation time so people had been trained to fill in for me while I was out of the office.

I just took my manager aside one day and gave her a note with my two weeks notice that specified when my last day would be. I was only in my late 50's and she had no clue that I was getting ready to retire. She had only been my manager for a few years and while we worked together OK it was not a real close relationship.

When questions came up about how they would handle some of my work I just pointed out that they were able to handle it just fine while was on my vacation so they would figure out what to do and they could call me if they had any quick questions and that if they needed to have me come back to train someone I was open to doing that.

There are a few special situation like a lawyer that is working on a big case, or a doctors that is treating patients where a longer transition might be necessary but for most people I would highly encourage just two weeks notice if that is all you would give if you were changing jobs. My reasons are;

1) From a companies perspective you retiring is really no different than if you were to to work somewhere else.

2) The company can get by without you while you are on vacation, you are not as indispensable as you might want to think.

3) Any good manager knows that any employee could be hit by the perveriable Mack truck and not come back from lunch. They should have at least a general plan to fill in for you if you are suddenly gone. While I was working I actually saw this happen several times where people unexpectedly died or had to go out on medical leave with no notice.

4) One you give your notice you will stop getting new projects and having responsibilities taken away from you. When I gave my two weeks notice I was pretty busy the first week but by the second week I had little to do and I was bored silly.

5) Having a "short timer" in the office can be bad for moral for the remaining people.

If the company needs you for more than two weeks then they can work something out with you to get you to stay longer.

User avatar
Watty
Posts: 14397
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by Watty » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:19 pm

Ged wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:03 pm
Thesaints wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:10 pm
Not sure what your problem is. If you retire what do you care about what your ex-boss thinks ?
Exactly. Retirement is your boss's problem. Not yours.
+1

Even if your boss hates you then they will just be glad you are leaving on your own and they will likely be at least superficially courteous to you for your last two weeks.

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 3526
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by munemaker » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:33 pm

I am quite surprised at the number of posters who have hostile feelings toward their employer. No wonder so many want to retire early.

LPSpecial
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:20 am

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by LPSpecial » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:46 pm

I typed up a very formal, polite and direct letter of resignation. I placed it on my boss's in basket. After he got in, it took about 20 minutes and he came out noticeably agitated. He invited me in to his office to talk about it. He was clearly upset. I was polite and honest in my answers to his questions and thanked him for all I'd learned there. I didn't tell him that he was the most difficult person I've ever worked for and couldn't imagine a worse working environment. I gave two weeks notice and we parted ways on good terms. Sometimes he could be a thoughtful and genuinely nice person, but his emotional outbursts, rudeness and brutal honesty far overshadowed the good. It wasn't just me that experienced this. Many very talented people came through there in the short three years I stayed.
:oops: :(

cherijoh
Posts: 4960
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:49 pm
Location: Charlotte NC

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by cherijoh » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:38 pm

samsoes wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:33 pm
PS - one month severance pay per year of service?? On which planet is this company?
1 month/ year of service does sound excessive. But I did receive a graduated severance package from a former employer:
years 1 - 5: 1 week salary/year of service
years 6 - 10: 2 weeks salary/year of service
years 11 and beyond: 3 weeks salary/ year of service

the offer maxed out at 2 years of salary. Including accrued but unused vacation time I ended up with about a year's salary.

scrabbler1
Posts: 2231
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:39 pm

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by scrabbler1 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:40 pm

Not looking to hijack this great thread, but to enrich it a little.

Have any of you gone through exit interviews, usually with the HR people? I had one, but only because I requested it. The HR flunkie had originally booked 30 minutes but I told him to book an hour. He got a little scared when he heard that (and he knew I had worked for them for 23 years), but I told him I wasn't looking to trash the company or my coworkers, but I did have some issues I wanted to discuss with him which would likely take more time. It did take an hour.

It wasn't like I was expecting the company to change anything after I left, based on my criticisms of some corporate policies, although I learned later that one issue they did change several years later (allowing more open-ended telecommuting, something I did for a few years before they ended that 5 years before I left).

SrGrumpy
Posts: 703
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by SrGrumpy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:52 pm

Watty wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:11 pm
you are not as indispensable as you might want to think.
Yep. The right answer.

User avatar
tinscale
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:16 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by tinscale » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:54 pm

I worked with the personnel dept first to figure everything out, including the timing of when. In the Fed govt and there are known "best days to retire" to maximize benefits. Once I decided, I just went in to our usual morning BS session and told her I decided to retire. I gave somewhere around 2 months notice.

User avatar
MichaelRpdx
Posts: 343
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:18 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon
Contact:

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by MichaelRpdx » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:07 pm

It was this time last year. On April 7 I'd been admitted to ER due to ... well the details aren't that important.
Boss and I talked about it and I mentioned I'd been planning to retire in two or three years but I wanted to move the date up. He understood completely and we left the matter open.

There was a project I wanted to see through to completion. When that occurred in June we discussed dates. I ended up giving three months official notice. This enabled him to post the open position and hire a replacement. Due to a higher up manager sitting on the approval my replacement wasn't hired until two weeks before my end date of September 15. When the question of extending my time was raised I replied "I'm kinda committed to my date." He understood.

All in all it was an easy, painless for me, process.

As far as the HR matters, COBRA, retirement, accumulated bonuses to be paid, that was almost automatic. I get to defer taking my corporate pension until I'm 65. Though I can start any time I desire.
Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity

User avatar
beyou
Posts: 2060
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:57 pm
Location: Northeastern US

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by beyou » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:21 pm

Wish I had the problem of caring.
No pension, no medical upon retirement in my firm.
So why would I owe them anything or be aplogetic ?
We are going through the Nth round of layoffs over the years. I only hope I am lucky enough to retire rather than laid off.

DVMResident
Posts: 1258
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:15 pm

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by DVMResident » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:39 pm

cherijoh wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:38 pm
samsoes wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:33 pm
PS - one month severance pay per year of service?? On which planet is this company?
1 month/ year of service does sound excessive. But I did receive a graduated severance package from a former employer:
years 1 - 5: 1 week salary/year of service
years 6 - 10: 2 weeks salary/year of service
years 11 and beyond: 3 weeks salary/ year of service

the offer maxed out at 2 years of salary. Including accrued but unused vacation time I ended up with about a year's salary.
Our standard is 8 weeks plus 2 weeks/year of service plus remaining vacation. Annual bonuses are included if the severance time carries you over the new year and stock stuff will vest as if you were there. Overall, it's pretty generous.
OTOH, it's sad I know the formula...

Sandi_k
Posts: 809
Joined: Sat May 16, 2015 11:55 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by Sandi_k » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:06 am

At my company, the elected retirement date is commonly sometime the last week of June. Many people use accrued vacation leave to have their last day sometime in April. Accrued SL is used to add to your service credit. So if you have 19 years and 7 months of service, and you have 5.5 months of SL accrued but not used - it's counted as if you have 20 years and .50 months of service credit.

I would caution people to do their math - if you have service credit calcs like that, make sure that you don't give notice so soon that your PTO can't get you to the preferred date of retirement if they walk you to the door on the day you tell them.

My spreadsheet is optimally modeled on retiring in either Sept. 2025, or Feb 2026....depending on how things are going at that time. :D But realistically, I could go at any time, now that I'm past 50.

Teague
Posts: 1186
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:15 pm

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by Teague » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:24 am

I was on leave when my supervisor sent a fairly despicable and potentially libelous email to me, and cc:'d it to upper management, who were apparently fine with him doing that. So I chose not to come back from leave.

To whom it may concern:
I resign with a final day of XX.
Teague
Department Z

I cc:'d this to everyone relevant (HR etc.) but not to my supervisor. Because absolutely nothing made him madder than being left out of the loop.
Semper Augustus

bantam222
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:57 pm

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by bantam222 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:31 am

If you respect your workspace you can give larger notice to help with burn down.

If you don’t care (which would be this case if you are worried about your bosses reaction) just give standard 2 weeks. You don’t need to tell them you are retiring.

If your boss really flips out you can play the card of quiting on the spot. I assume 2 week starts of pay is not a huge issue at this point.

User avatar
obafgkm
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:12 am
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by obafgkm » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:30 am

Sandi_k wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:06 am
...Accrued SL is used to add to your service credit. So if you have 19 years and 7 months of service, and you have 5.5 months of SL accrued but not used - it's counted as if you have 20 years and .50 months of service credit.

I would caution people to do their math - if you have service credit calcs like that, make sure that you don't give notice so soon that your PTO can't get you to the preferred date of retirement if they walk you to the door on the day you tell them...
Excuse my ignorance. What is "SL"? I assume from context "L" is "leave".

Also, what is "PTO"? I assume not "Parent-Teacher Organization."

chw
Posts: 478
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 4:22 pm

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by chw » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:37 am

obafgkm wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:30 am
Sandi_k wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:06 am
...Accrued SL is used to add to your service credit. So if you have 19 years and 7 months of service, and you have 5.5 months of SL accrued but not used - it's counted as if you have 20 years and .50 months of service credit.

I would caution people to do their math - if you have service credit calcs like that, make sure that you don't give notice so soon that your PTO can't get you to the preferred date of retirement if they walk you to the door on the day you tell them...
Excuse my ignorance. What is "SL"? I assume from context "L" is "leave".

Also, what is "PTO"? I assume not "Parent-Teacher Organization."
SL= Sick Leave
PTO= Paid Time Off

gd
Posts: 1411
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:35 am
Location: MA, USA

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by gd » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:08 am

As I dithered in indecision, the companies/divisions/offices folded and I was relieved while everyone else was horrified. This happened several times. But to the point, if you are not going to a competitor, no manager with any character or integrity would abuse you over it. With me it was just moving on in life, but even truer of retiring. If they do, well, clearly you're making the right decision. Get that firmly in your attitude and carry on-- on the ethical high ground, if needed.

cherijoh
Posts: 4960
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:49 pm
Location: Charlotte NC

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by cherijoh » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:06 am

Sandi_k wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:06 am
At my company, the elected retirement date is commonly sometime the last week of June. Many people use accrued vacation leave to have their last day sometime in April. Accrued SL is used to add to your service credit. So if you have 19 years and 7 months of service, and you have 5.5 months of SL accrued but not used - it's counted as if you have 20 years and .50 months of service credit.

I would caution people to do their math - if you have service credit calcs like that, make sure that you don't give notice so soon that your PTO can't get you to the preferred date of retirement if they walk you to the door on the day you tell them.

My spreadsheet is optimally modeled on retiring in either Sept. 2025, or Feb 2026....depending on how things are going at that time. :D But realistically, I could go at any time, now that I'm past 50.
That is true. When I have told friends that I'm now retired, several have reacted with "Congratulations! <pause> It was voluntary, wasn't it?"

User avatar
MichaelRpdx
Posts: 343
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:18 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon
Contact:

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by MichaelRpdx » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:08 am

bantam222 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:31 am
If you respect your workspace you can give larger notice to help with burn down.

If you don’t care (which would be this case if you are worried about your bosses reaction) just give standard 2 weeks. You don’t need to tell them you are retiring.
What? Why?
If you don't care just leave. People are laid off with no notice. People die with no notice. The company can handle it.
Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity

Glockenspiel
Posts: 539
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:20 pm

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by Glockenspiel » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:15 am

munemaker wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:33 pm
I am quite surprised at the number of posters who have hostile feelings toward their employer. No wonder so many want to retire early.
This is America. Americans are working themselves to death and employers aren't helping the issue. I am surprised that so many people never want to retire.

retired recently
Posts: 310
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by retired recently » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:46 am

I gave a 3 year notice...very specific circumstances but it worked well for everyone.

TresBelle65
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:44 pm

Re: How did you tell the boss you're leaving/retiring?

Post by TresBelle65 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:52 am

I'm feeling some trepidation over the same issue.

I work for the federal government after years in the private sector, so the culture still feels somewhat foreign to me.

In industry, the employer and employee generally size each other up fairly quickly to determine the possibility of a long-term relationship. In this government group, it reminds me somewhat of a mafia based movie. In my profession, it takes years of mutual investment to become proficient.They have put me through every possible hoop trying to determine how high I can jump. I have cleared them all. At my last review, I was told I am now considered by the organization to be a "stealth power that only fools would underestimate" (??) lol. I guess this means I am finally a "made man".

Made men rarely make an exit without it causing a ripple - so this soon coming disclosure should be interesting. I expect to never work in this town again hahaha.

Post Reply