New car pickup today.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Dottie57

New car pickup today.

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:35 am

I am picking up a new car today. The dealer pushed a warranty - $2499. I refused as it made the car price go over my max price and I just do not want to pay for it. Are there after sale warranties (good ones) Available for less $ ?

The also pushed a package which included rust proofing. I live in Minnesota so am a bit tempted for $349.

I have seen the ubnderside of my 11 year old car and there is no rust. No rust on the body. Should I still rust proof?

TIA for any info you can provide.

********* thanks to all who responded. No warranties or extras for me **********
Last edited by Dottie57 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bob60014

Re: New car pickup today.

Post by bob60014 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:44 am

What make and model? Extended warranties are never worth it, have many exlusions and provide the dealer with high profits. If a dealer presented me with a quote of $2500 for a warranty I would be asking "what's wrong with this car?"

Cars nowadays do not need rustprooofing, again high profits for the dealer.

TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:48 am

In November 2017 I purchased a 2017 CRV and purchased a Honda 120k mile 8 year extended warranty for $1110 the dealer wanted $2200 for the same Honda Warranty. The warranty was sold by a Honda dealer in another state, actually found 4 Honda dealers and got quotes from each and went with the cheapest. Given it was a first year car for Honda I went for it. Check the internet for the car you are purchasing for an owners website they will have details on this. Here is where I looked for info on the CRV http://www.crvownersclub.com

Rustproof is another money ripoff by the dealer, I would pass.
Last edited by TLC1957 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

czr

Post by czr » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:50 am

NO to both.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:51 am

Dottie57 - these aren't worth it.
With modern paint/coating techniques the additional "rust-proofing" is a waste of money.
The reason they push the extended warranty so hard is because it is a major cash-cow for them. I don't know how many years the $2499 extends the warranty but it is very very unlikely you will recover this. I always just say no. If they ask why I just say no again and tell them if they ask again I will buy elsewhere. (I used to say things like "If I thought I'd need an extended warranty on this car I wouldn't buy it" but that just starts a debate).

Thrilla

Post by Thrilla » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:55 am

Agree with everyone on saying "no" to extended warranty and rustproofing.

If you plan on keeping the car past the original warranty period, you'll have plenty of time to shop around 3rd party providers. Besides, owning the car for 3-5 years, will let you know about its reliability and whether an extended warranty is even necessary.

Ged

Post by Ged » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:58 am

TLC1957 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:48 am
In November 2017 I purchased a 2017 CRV and purchased a Honda 120k mile 8 year extended warranty for $1110 the dealer wanted $2200 for the same Honda Warranty. The warranty was sold by a Honda dealer in another state, actually found 4 Honda dealers and got quotes from each and went with the cheapest. Given it was a first year car for Honda I went for it. Check the internet for the car you are purchasing for an owners website they will have details on this. Here is where I looked for info on the CRV http://www.crvownersclub.com
I did a similar thing when I bought my Acura in 2012. Never used the warranty. The good news I guess is that I lost less money doing this.

I had a rust proofing warranty once on a Subaru I bought when I lived in Syracuse in the 1980's. It rusted pretty bad (Syracuse gets mega snow and uses massive quantities of salt) but the warranty company went bankrupt so I was unable to collect.

Jazzysoon

Post by Jazzysoon » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:00 pm

I live in Mpls area and have not heard of dealer offering rustproofing for long time. Look around and you hardly see rust on cars. So I'd pass on rustproofing, also on extended warranty- don't know what it covers and as a lot of cars have bumper to bumper up to x-mileage you are probably covered already and will just pay for the regular maintenance per schedule.

N10sive

Post by N10sive » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:08 pm

I would only worry about rustproofing if you live in an area where they still salt the roads which is a rarity now.

Also if your buying a Camry which I think was mentioned in your other threads or a Toyota in general I would not purchase a warranty.

FYI warranties are also negotiable much like everything else at the dealer. They may also try to push a maintenance plan after the initial 25k (if its a Toyota). That is also negotiable but usually way overpriced.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:15 pm

If it was an aftermarket warranty company, you should know that of the 10 top warranty companies 10 years ago, zero are in business today.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

N1CKV

Post by N1CKV » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:27 pm

I just bought a vehicle a week and a half ago.
They are now pushing "nitrogen filled tires".... you should call b.s. the air you breathe is 78% nitrogen. You are paying a couple hundred bucks for some fancy green valve stem cap.
They also wanted to sell the VIN etching. If your insurer offers a discount for this (not all do, so check), and it is significant enough to be worth the trouble then buy the kit on Amazon and do it yourself for about $20, don't pay several hundred dollars for this scam either.
I have met a lot of people that claim to love money, but they also seem to be the same people that are in the biggest hurry to get rid of it.

3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:41 pm

No to both. About 30 years ago rustproofing was all the rage. The industry leader was a company called Ziebart and they had franchises everywhere. I had a new car rustproofed and instead of preventing rust it actually caused rust. The sticky petroleum based coating they sprayed into the doors plugged the drain holes and trapped water. Modern cars are rustproofed in the factory and that is why you don't see many rust buckets riding around anymore.

Regarding extended warranties, they are a major money maker for the companies that sell them. Most makes and models easily go 100k miles without a major issue. So you would be paying for nothing.

sport

Post by sport » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:42 pm

N10sive wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:08 pm
I would only worry about rustproofing if you live in an area where they still salt the roads which is a rarity now.
Salt is used heavily in my area. The last car I had rustproofed was in 1981. I don't even see advertisements for rustproofing any more.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:57 pm

czr wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:50 am
NO to both.
+1
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:11 pm

Skipping the warranty is like gambling, but this time the odds are on your side.

Even in the northeast (where, by the way, salt is very heavily used) I never bought rustproofing.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:14 pm

bob60014 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:44 am
What make and model? Extended warranties are never worth it, have many exlusions and provide the dealer with high profits. If a dealer presented me with a quote of $2500 for a warranty I would be asking "what's wrong with this car?"

I bought a Camry XLE. I did tell the dealer that if I spend 2600on non consumables, I would be very unhappy, and trade the car for a Honda Accord or Subaru. I had to tell the salesperson a definite no. He tried to put me on the spot - why not , it is such a good deal.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:20 pm

I won’t be be going for a warranty or rust proofing or othergoodies.

Thanks to all who responded.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:20 pm

Dottie, best wishes for the new car. I get angry letters from vendors that I am ignoring their requests to call them for extended warranties on cars I have owned. One is a 2009 car that I no longer own. I even got a detailed breakdown of how much it would cost me to repair a car if I did not take the extended warranty ...

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:23 pm

The fact that car dealers in the Deep South sell rustproofing (or "undercoating") should tell you something . . . that it's pure profit for the dealer. (We don't salt roads here.)

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:29 pm

The only good warranties are manufacturer's ones. The aftermarket ones give you trouble with claims and are therefore not worth it.
If you can get the carmaker's one, go for it. I love my Lexus one (8 years, same as the new-car warranty).
So avoid any aftermarket one.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:41 pm

Any extended warranty is really an insurance policy. The fundamental rule is that you should self-insure those risks you can afford. To maximize your savings you should decline extended warranties on all purchases.

Like investing you should not have regret if an individual extended warranty would have saved you money.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:19 pm

sport wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:42 pm
N10sive wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:08 pm
Salt is used heavily in my area. The last car I had rustproofed was in 1981. I don't even see advertisements for rustproofing any more.
A lot of salt where I live in the Northeast as well. Not sure where the you live N10sive where they perhaps are using more expensive salt substitutes but everywhere I go there is salt so its certainly not a rarity.
If you don't believe me I have a bucket in my garage of salt that came from melted snow off my car throughout the winter (I just swept a bucket of salt up in the garage over the weekend - over the years it appears to be eating away at the floor).

eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:28 pm

No and heck no.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett

invst65

Post by invst65 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:31 pm

Bought a Honda CRV in March and got the high pressure sales pitch for the extended warranty. IMO, this is perhaps the number one thing that makes the car buying experience so unpleasant. You agree to a price for the car and then you are required to sit and talk to a manager so they can try to squeeze every extra penny out of you before handing over the keys. In this case I had to sit outside the office and wait for about 30 minutes which is about par for the course. I wonder if they do that on purpose.

After listening to the sales pitch for the extended warranty I said no and then I was asked if I wouldn't mind sharing my reason why not (so he could knock it down, of course). I don't remember exactly what I said but it worked well enough. Afterward I thought of the perfect answer - I should have suggested that he go to Google or Youtube and type in "Are extended car warranties worth it"? Their answer is NO. That's what I'll do next time.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:42 pm

I prefer channeling my father; "because I said so!"

Actually, what has worked quite well the last couple of times is being proactive; "I'm not buying anything, so don't waste your time or more importantly my time."

jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:48 pm

N1CKV wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:27 pm
I just bought a vehicle a week and a half ago.
They are now pushing "nitrogen filled tires".... you should call b.s. the air you breathe is 78% nitrogen. You are paying a couple hundred bucks for some fancy green valve stem cap.
They also wanted to sell the VIN etching. If your insurer offers a discount for this (not all do, so check), and it is significant enough to be worth the trouble then buy the kit on Amazon and do it yourself for about $20, don't pay several hundred dollars for this scam either.
nitrogen filled tires lose air less quickly FWIW

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:59 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:35 am
I am picking up a new car today. The dealer pushed a warranty - $2499. I refused as it made the car price go over my max price and I just do not want to pay for it.
Just say no!
The also pushed a package which included rust proofing. I live in Minnesota so am a bit tempted for $349.

I have seen the ubnderside of my 11 year old car and there is no rust. No rust on the body. Should I still rust proof?
Modern cars don't need dealer-installed rustproofing. Save your money.

TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:04 pm

invst65 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:31 pm
Bought a Honda CRV in March and got the high pressure sales pitch for the extended warranty. IMO, this is perhaps the number one thing that makes the car buying experience so unpleasant. You agree to a price for the car and then you are required to sit and talk to a manager so they can try to squeeze every extra penny out of you before handing over the keys. In this case I had to sit outside the office and wait for about 30 minutes which is about par for the course. I wonder if they do that on purpose.

After listening to the sales pitch for the extended warranty I said no and then I was asked if I wouldn't mind sharing my reason why not (so he could knock it down, of course). I don't remember exactly what I said but it worked well enough. Afterward I thought of the perfect answer - I should have suggested that he go to Google or Youtube and type in "Are extended car warranties worth it"? Their answer is NO. That's what I'll do next time.
Soooo true we sat down with the finance guy he started with the extended warranty sure I am interested how much....after 10 mins of him going on and on I said how much...$2200 not interested...why...too much. I can get it for $1100 ....if you can meet it I will buy it from you.....no way you can buy it for $1100... I showed him the email from the dealer for $1100.... he was that is less then what I pay for it....

I paid cash for the CRV he wanted to know why I paid cash he can give me a great interest rate......I said are we done yet :happy

z91

Post by z91 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:11 pm

Every time I buy a car, I do all the negotiation over the phone or email. Once I show up, I tell them, "no upsells, especially on extended warranties or I'll walk out"

The last time I did it, I got an amazing finance person. They started off with, "I know you don't want X service, but by law I am required to offer it to you. After I'm done describing it speak if you want it, but otherwise we will move on to the next part of the paperwork."

Easy peasy, I got in and out in ten minutes that time. I couldn't believe how quickly they were able to get me through as it's usually an hour long sing and dance.

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:29 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
I am picking up a new car today. The dealer pushed a warranty - $2499. I refused as it made the car price go over my max price and I just do not want to pay for it. Are there after sale warranties (good ones) Available for less $ ?
The only warranty that is worth having is the manufactures warranty so don't even consider any third party warranty.

You can buy a Toyota warranty at any time until the full warranty ends (3 years 36k miles??) and in fact you will frequently get mail from them trying to sell you an extended warranty.

The price of an extended warranty is also very negotiable and you can buy it from any Toyota dealer in the US. If you check out some Toyota specific boards you will find which dealerships are giving good deal on the warranty. You would not want to do that though until the full warranty is about to expire.

Be sure to read the details of the power train warranty since that will cover many of the big repairs for 5 years/60k mile(I think). Also read the fine print of the extended warranty since it may exclude some things.

invst65

Post by invst65 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:44 pm

z91 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:11 pm
Once I show up, I tell them, "no upsells, especially on extended warranties or I'll walk out"
When you read advice from people who know the car industry they always tell you that you need you to be ready to walk away from any deal you aren't comfortable with.

Personally, I've found that easier said than done. Our CR-V car buying experience in February of this year involved approximately 4 to 5 hours of waiting time altogether, including waiting for the salesman, finding the keys to the car for a test drive (they apparently got lost somewhere), etc, etc, and then there was the wait outside the finance manager's office after agreeing to the deal as described above.

This seems to be standard operating procedure nowadays and I think it is probably by design. If you walk away you know you are going to have to start over and spend another 4 to 5 hours at another dealer playing the same games.

Buying a car on the internet may sound like an attractive alternative to all this hassle but as things stand today there really is no way to avoid dealing with a car dealer (or at least one that I'm aware of - somebody can correct me if I'm wrong). All of those online websites sound good promising you a new car buying experience but all they are really doing is referring you to a dealer because that's all they can do.

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:59 pm

About 5 years ago, my daughter bought a new Honda CRV with my assistance. I shopped the best price for the 10 year Honda warranty by using online bulletin boards. About $1100 I think. At that price, I felt it worthwhile. I took the best price to the selling dealer and offered to buy it as part of the sale IF THEY MET THE PRICE. They did.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:01 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:14 pm
bob60014 wrote:

I bought a Camry XLE. I did tell the dealer that if I spend 2600on non consumables, I would be very unhappy, and trade the car for a Honda Accord or Subaru. I had to tell the salesperson a definite no. He tried to put me on the spot - why not , it is such a good deal.

Especially not needed for a Camry!!!! Glad you said no. Now enjoy the new ride!

sport

Post by sport » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:01 pm

bob60014 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:01 pm
Dottie57 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:14 pm
bob60014 wrote:

Especially not needed for a Camry!!!! Glad you said no. Now enjoy the new ride!
My 2010 Camry XLE has endured 8 hard winters in the snow belt where salt is liberally applied frequently. No rust.

z91

Post by z91 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:29 pm

invst65 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:44 pm
z91 wrote:
Once I show up, I tell them, "no upsells, especially on extended warranties or I'll walk out"
When you read advice from people who know the car industry they always tell you that you need you to be ready to walk away from any deal you aren't comfortable with.

Personally, I've found that easier said than done. Our CR-V car buying experience in February of this year involved approximately 4 to 5 hours of waiting time altogether, including waiting for the salesman, finding the keys to the car for a test drive (they apparently got lost somewhere), etc, etc, and then there was the wait outside the finance manager's office after agreeing to the deal as described above.

This seems to be standard operating procedure nowadays and I think it is probably by design. If you walk away you know you are going to have to start over and spend another 4 to 5 hours at another dealer playing the same games.

Buying a car on the internet may sound like an attractive alternative to all this hassle but as things stand today there really is no way to avoid dealing with a car dealer (or at least one that I'm aware of - somebody can correct me if I'm wrong). All of those online websites sound good promising you a new car buying experience but all they are really doing is referring you to a dealer because that's all they can do.
I agree with you, but there are easy ways to do this.

I separate the test drive and the actual deal. When I do test drives, I always do it at a dealer I won't be doing the final deal with (one I know has high prices or doesn't have an internet sales department; worst case I'll figure it out later and hopefully talk to a different person). After the test drive I just tell them I have an appointment to test drive a competitor's car. I've never had an issue with this and get off the lot pretty quickly at this point.

After I know exactly what I want, I do the phone call/email games and once I get the price I tell them I'll be there to finish the deal. Once I show up, that's when I tell them no upselling, I have somewhere to be in X minutes otherwise let's re-schedule. I've been pretty successful so far and the dealer knows I'm a no-nonsense can't be persuaded kind of person. The only time I got hung up at a dealer's office was when they needed to detail the car. Deal was already done so we just talked about random stuff for 15 minutes. He watched me drive off the lot to make sure the deal was done, and that was it.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:22 pm

invst65 wrote:
z91 wrote:
Our CR-V car buying experience in February of this year involved approximately 4 to 5 hours of waiting time altogether, including waiting for the salesman, finding the keys to the car for a test drive (they apparently got lost somewhere), etc, etc, and then there was the wait outside the finance manager's office after agreeing to the deal as described above.

This seems to be standard operating procedure nowadays and I think it is probably by design.
Of course it's intentional.

Last time I bought i stayed around long enough to do a test drive and get the first (absurd) offer. Then I said it was too high and left.

Phone calls and emails ensued. I worked out the deal by email, no more waiting. And I guess staying there for one offer gave the impression that I was actually willing to buy.

> If you walk away you know you are going to have to start over and spend another 4 to 5 hours at another dealer playing the same games.

Yeah, this is a problem, no matter what you explain. I was cross-shopping Toyota and they didn't believe I needed to hear a real price. Tough luck, Toyota.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:22 pm

invst65 wrote:
No you are not going to have to start over. If they don't tackle you on the way out, they will call you on the drive home. There is no way the dealer is going to lose the deal.
z91 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:29 pm
I separate the test drive and the actual deal. When I do test drives, I always do it at a dealer I won't be doing the final deal with (one I know has high prices or doesn't have an internet sales department; worst case I'll figure it out later and hopefully talk to a different person).
It is perfectly fine to do your evaluation test drive before you even begin negotiating with dealers. However, you should always do a detailed inspection of the car and drive it before you sign on the dotted line and take delivery.

When you sign on the dotted line and drive it off the lot it is yours. When you haven't done those things it is still theirs. In which scenario do you think they have more incentive to fix issues quickly and completely.

3funder

Post by 3funder » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:26 pm

The answer is always no.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:55 pm

z91 wrote:
Every time I buy a car, I do all the negotiation over the phone or email. Once I show up, I tell them, "no upsells, especially on extended warranties or I'll walk out"

The last time I did it, I got an amazing finance person. They started off with, "I know you don't want X service, but by law I am required to offer it to you. After I'm done describing it speak if you want it, but otherwise we will move on to the next part of the paperwork."

Easy peasy, I got in and out in ten minutes that time. I couldn't believe how quickly they were able to get me through as it's usually an hour long sing and dance.

Did you not want to know which law required a spiel about the extended warranty?

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:58 pm

Watty wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:29 pm
Dottie57 wrote:
The only warranty that is worth having is the manufactures warranty so don't even consider any third party warranty.

You can buy a Toyota warranty at any time until the full warranty ends (3 years 36k miles??) and in fact you will frequently get mail from them trying to sell you an extended warranty.

The price of an extended warranty is also very negotiable and you can buy it from any Toyota dealer in the US. If you check out some Toyota specific boards you will find which dealerships are giving good deal on the warranty. You would not want to do that though until the full warranty is about to expire.

Be sure to read the details of the power train warranty since that will cover many of the big repairs for 5 years/60k mile(I think). Also read the fine print of the extended warranty since it may exclude some things.
The sales guy told me that the super duper warranty from the dealership (not Toyota) was available only on the purchase date. I wonder how much if anything was true.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:03 pm

Never buy anything from a dealer that you don’t have to.

That includes a car!

I’m only half-joking on the second statement.

You done good by declining both offers. You don’t need an extended warranty on a new car unless you couldn’t afford the car in the first place.

Good luck,

JT

Teague

Post by Teague » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:19 pm

If you decide at some point you want the genuine Toyota brand extended warranty (I wouldn't consider any other type) I bet you can buy one online from a dealer that will sell it for considerably less than your local dealer.
Semper Augustus

Y.A.Tittle

Post by Y.A.Tittle » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:16 pm

No to both.

Margin enhancements for the dealer. Zero added value.

invst65

Post by invst65 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:35 pm

z91 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:29 pm
invst65 wrote:
z91 wrote:

I agree with you, but there are easy ways to do this.

I separate the test drive and the actual deal. When I do test drives, I always do it at a dealer I won't be doing the final deal with (one I know has high prices or doesn't have an internet sales department; worst case I'll figure it out later and hopefully talk to a different person). After the test drive I just tell them I have an appointment to test drive a competitor's car. I've never had an issue with this and get off the lot pretty quickly at this point.

After I know exactly what I want, I do the phone call/email games and once I get the price I tell them I'll be there to finish the deal. Once I show up, that's when I tell them no upselling, I have somewhere to be in X minutes otherwise let's re-schedule. I've been pretty successful so far and the dealer knows I'm a no-nonsense can't be persuaded kind of person. The only time I got hung up at a dealer's office was when they needed to detail the car. Deal was already done so we just talked about random stuff for 15 minutes. He watched me drive off the lot to make sure the deal was done, and that was it.
I'm 70 next year and only buy cars every ten years so maybe I'll only have to go through this two more times ( I guess that can be both a good or bad way of looking at the situation, depending on your point of view).

I do hope that eventually you will just be able to be a car on the internet like buying something on Amazon and can cut out the car dealer. Obviously the dealers are going to fight that, tooth and nail, but it will probably happen eventually.

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:48 am

lots of rusting if you live near the ocean. The problem with most rust proofing products is that they only last a few years. I highly recommend spraying fluid film to the undercarriage every other year if you live in an area where rust is a problem.

midareff

Post by midareff » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:15 am

czr wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:50 am
NO to both.
+1 .... Specialized warranty sales are a means of added profit for a dealership and frankly, they don't sell things they lose money on.

midareff

Post by midareff » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:22 am

theplayer11 wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:48 am
lots of rusting if you live near the ocean. The problem with most rust proofing products is that they only last a few years. I highly recommend spraying fluid film to the undercarriage every other year if you live in an area where rust is a problem.
Not so much anymore. ... we live very close to the ocean (Atlantic) and there are antique cars parked here that are 25 years old, and older, and are rust free. They only receive occasional rain water washes and no special care. OTOH, from my municipal experience equipment that operates daily on the sand, such as beach cleaners, sand moving equipment, garbage and beach barrel collectors, etc., do require specialized coatings and almost daily wash-offs if you want them to last more than a couple (2-3) of years.

N1CKV

Post by N1CKV » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:37 pm

jehovasfitness wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:48 pm
nitrogen filled tires lose air less quickly FWIW
in theory... that is not an untrue statement but:
What is the purity of the nitrogen being pumped in to the tire?
Are they pumping out/ purging the ambient air that is in the tire when mounted?
As previously stated, the natural air you breath is already 78% nitrogen. What they are doing is not significant and is even less significant because modern vehicles have tire pressure monitors alerting you to a tire that has lost small amounts of pressure.
Any derived benefit is NOT worth the $200+ upsell on a new vehicle (or any upsell for that matter).
I have met a lot of people that claim to love money, but they also seem to be the same people that are in the biggest hurry to get rid of it.

Smurf

Post by Smurf » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:51 pm

Question for Dottie57 that is slightly off topic, but did you consider the new Honda Accord? If so, what made you choose the Camry over the Accord? I only ask as I'm considering purchasing one and am torn between the two.