Removing Existing Satellite Systems

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
pascalwager

Removing Existing Satellite Systems

Post by pascalwager » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:10 pm

My house has two existing roof-mounted satellite dishes which I don't use, and probably never will. I have cable TV/internet/phone and have no prior experience with satellite systems. My phones are radio-transmission cordless type and my internet connections are wifi.

After a couple of years in this home, I'm finally considering removing the two obtrusive roof dishes and the maze of unsightly associated wiring--visible on the roof, chimney, and exterior walls. I also see inside wall faceplates throughout the house with coaxial cable and phone jack connections.

Can I legally remove these systems, especially the dishes, without first contacting the satellite company, whoever it is, or the county?

runner3081

Re: Removing Existing Satellite Systems

Post by runner3081 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:23 pm

Yes, you own them now. They don't want them back.

Have removed them from multiple houses.

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:26 pm

Satellite companies expect customers to discard dishes when no longer using them, which is a little sketchy as far as I am concerned. I wonder if they have liability when a person falls off the roof trying to remove the dish when the company that put it there won't.

pascalwager

Post by pascalwager » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:44 am

Thanks for the info. Full speed ahead!

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:22 am

Just make sure before you remove you have absolutely no need or desire to put up a TV antenna. Perfect opportunity for future cost cutting, and all the wiring,splitters,amps & electrical ground are probably all in place. I use my old satellite/cable wiring & get about 70 over the air channels.
Too soon old, too late smart.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:29 am

KSOC wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:22 am
Just make sure before you remove you have absolutely no need or desire to put up a TV antenna. Perfect opportunity for future cost cutting, and all the wiring,splitters,amps & electrical ground are probably all in place. I use my old satellite/cable wiring & get about 70 over the air channels.
Agreed. If you already have wiring in place from the satellite dish(es) to wherever you might want TV sets, I'd leave it. The coax is the same electrically (75 ohms) and will carry over-the-air just as well if not better than antenna wire you'd buy at Walmart or similar. As for the dish, feel free; you own it, and can throw it in the recycler if you wish (the LNB module at the focal point of the dish contains active electronics so should be handled like any other electronic device on disposal).

The only other thing that occurs to me is that you likely will spend some money getting the roof repaired to close the holes from the dish mounting.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:24 am

I would remove the dish and the pole but leave the mounting plate that is screwed into the roof. The reason for that is the mounting plate should have been installed with some form of weatherproofing and the screw holes sealed. If you now remove the plate / screws you risk leaving holes screwed through your shingles and roofing membrane and could have a leak.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:41 am

abner kravitz wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:26 pm
I wonder if they have liability when a person falls off the roof trying to remove the dish when the company that put it there won't.

Somebody --- homeowner or tenant --- authorized the dish to be put up in the first place. Much like most anything, if the new owner/tenant does not want it there, it can be written in the contract, somebody can be hired to remove it, or it can be taken down by the new owner.

pascalwager

Post by pascalwager » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:09 am

Yes, I noticed water on the garage floor this winter and saw water dripping in the overhead space next to a big sheet metal air vent. Finally found a nail-hole (I guess) in a roof shingle, caulked it with roof silicon, and the leak stopped. If I have a contractor remove the dishes, I'll certainly do a followup inspection.

Once I had Home Depot do a new roof and I found lots of exposed nail heads. The chief roofer apologized and got it fixed, although it also failed my second inspection (but not the third). I've done entire house roofs myself when younger, replaced stringers with ply-board, etc., so I understand the basics at least.

Anyway, thanks for the info and recommendations.

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:12 pm

SimonJester wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:24 am
I would remove the dish and the pole but leave the mounting plate that is screwed into the roof. The reason for that is the mounting plate should have been installed with some form of weatherproofing and the screw holes sealed. If you now remove the plate / screws you risk leaving holes screwed through your shingles and roofing membrane and could have a leak.
This. If they were installed correctly, there is probably a bunch of adhesive on the back side of the mounting plate. Removing it will probably take the shingle with it.

c.coyle

Post by c.coyle » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:15 pm

Satellite dishes can be re-purposed into backyard bird baths.
VTSAX - 40%, VTIAX - 10%, VBTLX - 50%

boffalora

Post by boffalora » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:42 pm

I'd strongly consider calling a roofing contractor to remove the dishes for you. Once they're gone the roofer can repair any damage that was caused by fastening the dishes to the roof.

pascalwager

Post by pascalwager » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:37 pm

One (smaller) dish is installed on the chimney wooden siding (vertical plane) and the other (larger) dish is installed on the roof over the eaves. I can see two lag screws sticking through the eaves when I'm standing underneath on the ground. But I realize that sealing is still important as water can cause wood rot and also migrate under the shingles and into a room.

Luke, I wonder if the "adhesive" is actually a sealant, but I guess it still might pull the shingle off during removal.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:39 am

pascalwager wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:37 pm
One (smaller) dish is installed on the chimney wooden siding (vertical plane) and the other (larger) dish is installed on the roof over the eaves. I can see two lag screws sticking through the eaves when I'm standing underneath on the ground. But I realize that sealing is still important as water can cause wood rot and also migrate under the shingles and into a room.

Luke, I wonder if the "adhesive" is actually a sealant, but I guess it still might pull the shingle off during removal.

Wow they went all the way through the roof down into the eaves!

On a roofing system what keeps water out is the underlayment membrane that is put down, either tar paper, roofing felt or some newer Tyvek type product. The shingles are there to prevent the sun and weather elements from degrading the underlayment.

When the installer runs a screw through your roof, they penetrate not only the shingle but that underlayment as well, as the well as the roof decking. They should have used some sort of sealant membrane under the base plate and the screw themselves should have a sealant applied over them.

If you now remove those screws you will have exposed holes for which water will get in. You could fill the holes with roofing tar or a sealant, but it still may leak. If it hasnt leaked since the dish was installed then it would be best to leave the mounting plate in place until you re-roof. The dish and the pole / arm will come off the mounting plate.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:29 am

Leave the plate until you reroof. Spray paint it to match your roof if it bothers you.

pascalwager

Post by pascalwager » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:17 am

Okay, I may leave the mounting plates.

Incidentally, why would there be two dishes? Could they have been installed by two different satellite companies and the older one was abandoned? I haven't looked that closely at the cabling. Any insights on this?

Also, I don't expect to move, but are existing satellite systems typically reused by new home owners? Does each satellite company need to install their own dish?

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:48 pm

pascalwager wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:17 am

Incidentally, why would there be two dishes? Could they have been installed by two different satellite companies and the older one was abandoned? I haven't looked that closely at the cabling. Any insights on this?

Also, I don't expect to move, but are existing satellite systems typically reused by new home owners? Does each satellite company need to install their own dish?
Yes each satellite company has their own dish, this could be one reason for multiple dishes, also in the older days HD and SD could be on different dishes before they combined them...

pascalwager

Post by pascalwager » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:18 pm

Finally did it. Removed two old dish systems, a telephone system and a TV system. The larger dish was trying to pull me off the roof, but I removed the bolts in a sequence that barely allowed me to maintain adequate control. I left the mounting brackets on the roof for the large dish and they're pretty much unvieweable from any direction. The smaller dish was attached to the side of the chimney and I removed the brackets there. The fasteners surprised me--nothing frozen or corroded--bright, shiny and unblemished.

The wall cables were painted over and stuck to the walls--imprisoned in unmovable small clamps and thick paint. I usually had to break these clamps with pliers as the screws wouldn't turn. I used old bolt cutters to cut the cables including at a couple of wall penetrations which I'll finish off later.

I'm relieved that I didn't fall off the roof and also glad that I don't have to install cable, or especially, dish systems. My remaining TV-Internet-Phone cable system makes perfect sense as I follow the routing, is neat and well fastened and was installed in a couple of hours for multiple rooms. Maybe it seems easy if you don't have to do it, and always speedily in unfamiliar homes.

spectec

Post by spectec » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:46 am

Looks like OP has reached a resolution of the issue, but nevertheless I'll mention my experience. We cut the cord a long time ago and recently decided to increase our coverage by moving our OTA antenna outside. An old unused dish was still in place, so we just removed the dish from its mounting arm and installed the OTA antenna directly to the arm. We saved considerable time getting the antenna mounted, and there was virtually no risk of roof leaks with the new installation.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:17 am

pascalwager wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:18 pm
The fasteners surprised me--nothing frozen or corroded--bright, shiny and unblemished.
Anything installed on the outside of the house should use stainless steel fasteners which would look just like what you found after many years in the elements.

ArmchairArchitect

Post by ArmchairArchitect » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:54 pm

Removed two so far- sold them on craigslist for $30 each. So Id either sell them or post them on the 'free stuff' section of craigslist. Better than them going to the landfill.

ram

Post by ram » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:51 am

pascalwager wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:17 am

Some international channels need a different dish pointed at a different direction. ( or so I was told many years ago.)
Ram

clockman323

Post by clockman323 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:21 am

We bought a house that had two existing dishes from different companies. Our local DirectTV installer said that they always install new hardware when they do a new install because they don't trust the quality of the old equipment. They didn't even want to re-use the existing roof mounted poles.

It could look really messy if someone switches between Dish Network and DirectTV every 2 years when the teaser rates expire.

Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon

Post by Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:42 pm

c.coyle wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:15 pm
Satellite dishes can be re-purposed into backyard bird baths.
Creative idea, but beware of that becoming a mosquito breeding ground. This might be geographically dependent: I heard a rumor that some parts of the country don't have mosquitoes? If so, I plan on moving there someday.