AAA? What to do in car emergencies?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Finridge

Re: AAA? What to do in car emergencies?

Post by Finridge » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:55 am

vested1 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:15 pm
AAA insures our 2 cars, travel trailer, and home.
When is the last time you shopped around for insurance? I had AAA for years. But shopping around, I found that they are much more expensive then some of their competitors. I'm on GEICO now. If I had AAA, I'd be paying well over $1,000 more in premiums per year than I do now.

vested1

Post by vested1 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:29 am

Finridge wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:55 am
vested1 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:15 pm
AAA insures our 2 cars, travel trailer, and home.
When is the last time you shopped around for insurance? I had AAA for years. But shopping around, I found that they are much more expensive then some of their competitors. I'm on GEICO now. If I had AAA, I'd be paying well over $1,000 more in premiums per year than I do now.
Rather than provide a long drawn out response I'll just say that I was an AAA customer for over 30 years until I decided to shop around and transferred everything to State Farm. While the premiums were somewhat cheaper the coverage and service turned out to be horrible in practice. My wife had an accident that was entirely the other driver's fault per the police. State Farm refused to get involved and said I could call the other insurance if I wanted to. They said if I got no satisfaction that I would have to take the car to a body shop in Bakersfield, about 3 hours away from where we live, and that I would have to pay out of pocket for the entire repair and then they would "consider" reimbursement.

The other driver had AAA. One call and we found that the other driver hadn't reported the accident. In ten minutes we were approved for a repair at our preferred local shop and provided with a free rental car, no questions asked. I could go on and on, as there were many examples of a non-caring, non-responsive attitude at State Farm. Sometimes cheaper isn't better. Here is an other example of how I was treated by AAA. I am their customer for life now.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=247575&p=3899613#p3899613

bultvballr

Post by bultvballr » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:48 am

Aside from AAA, does anyone else here uses Good Sam? If yes, how does it compare to the services offered by AAA? Good Sam's Auto Roadside Assistance Platinum plan offers unlimited towing miles for around the same price as the AAA Plus plan. I'm on the Platinum plan, but have not had to use their service yet. Knock on wood.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:37 am

criticalmass wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:23 pm
A new Hyundai typically has five years of free roadside assistance (for that car only). I would check the owners manual for the details and the phone number to call in an emergency. Keep the number handy. Call the dealer if you can't find the information, before you need it.
There is an important note about this, they will take you to the nearest HYUNDAI dealership. For things like tires that isn't what you want and you'd pay a premium to get a tire replace.

Things like AAA, or the car insurance policy, are probably much better options.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:10 am

rich126 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:37 am
criticalmass wrote:
A new Hyundai typically has five years of free roadside assistance (for that car only). I would check the owners manual for the details and the phone number to call in an emergency. Keep the number handy. Call the dealer if you can't find the information, before you need it.
There is an important note about this, they will take you to the nearest HYUNDAI dealership. For things like tires that isn't what you want and you'd pay a premium to get a tire replace.

Why would they not just put the mini-spare on and let you drive to wherever you wish?

In any case, I think a free tow to the nearest dealership is a better deal than paying $300 :?: over 5 years for AAA, in order to save a few dollars on a tire should there be some reason that you need to be towed away in order to have a tire replaced.
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy. - John C. Bogle

rich126

Post by rich126 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:20 am

jeffyscott wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:10 am
rich126 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:37 am
criticalmass wrote:

Why would they not just put the mini-spare on and let you drive to wherever you wish?

In any case, I think a free tow to the nearest dealership is a better deal than paying $300 :?: over 5 years for AAA, in order to save a few dollars on a tire should there be some reason that you need to be towed away in order to have a tire replaced.
At one time Hyundais (at least some of them) had NO mini spare tire, only a can of goo (not too useful).
Also while I'm not a huge fan of AAA or AARP, they can provide other benefits such as discounts on hotels. In many cases you can still get the discounts w/o being a member but I prefer to do it the legit way.

Depending on your location, AAA can be a painful exercise. At one time it wasn't uncommon to wait hours for an "approved" AAA tow truck to arrive. One reason the car insurance may be a better bet. In my 30 years of driving I've only had to call someone ~6 times.

(And for the record, most of my life I have not been a member of either AAA or AARP.)

ncbill

Post by ncbill » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:11 am

You might want to call your local towing companies and ask them what they get paid by various providers.

Not long ago I read a comment by someone purporting to be a tow truck driver who said AAA paid more than the other guys (insurance or automaker "roadside assistance") so the "other than AAA" calls went to the bottom of the pile.

So I've stuck with AAA, last renewal $150/year for AAA Plus (up to 200 mile tow) for 3 drivers.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:33 am

When there's no third party involved in arranging the tow, I think you can be on top of someone's pile, just call and hire whichever towing company can come immediately. In the age of smartphones, there's really no value in having a dispatch service as an intermediary.

My Visa tow call said within an hour, next place said 2 hours, third said right away.
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy. - John C. Bogle

vested1

Post by vested1 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:16 pm

bultvballr wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:48 am
Aside from AAA, does anyone else here uses Good Sam? If yes, how does it compare to the services offered by AAA? Good Sam's Auto Roadside Assistance Platinum plan offers unlimited towing miles for around the same price as the AAA Plus plan. I'm on the Platinum plan, but have not had to use their service yet. Knock on wood.
I got a membership from Good Sam's when we bought our new travel trailer in 2016. I didn't renew it as I found their service to be double coverage of what AAA was offering on their platinum membership. The AAA discounts match the Good Sam discounts everywhere in my experience.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:21 pm

As best I recall, all of the service/tow folks that have come when I called AAA seemed to be dedicated AAA vehicles - not independent guys called by AAA.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:22 am

dm200 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:21 pm
As best I recall, all of the service/tow folks that have come when I called AAA seemed to be dedicated AAA vehicles - not independent guys called by AAA.
That depends where you are, and how busy AAA vehicles are--if they are present where you are.

Also, many independent tow trucks paint AAA all over the truck, as contracted independent companies are allowed to use AAA branding as part of their contracct.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:34 am

jeffyscott wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:20 pm
If you are in a rental, why would you not just call the rental company?
I did that once. Had a flat tire in a downtown Atlanta hotel parking lot. The rental car company (Enterprise) said to me (essentially, not verbatim): "The nearest Firestone is at X address. It's on you to get the car there and pay for the repair." So, no, calling the rental-car company won't help. Fortunately, I was staying at the Ritz, and their valets put the spare tire on the car for me. I had to tip those guys quite a bit though.

Larry2623

Post by Larry2623 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:27 pm

I call Amex Platinum CC number...free 4 times a year