Good pushreel lawn mower?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Small Law Survivor

Good pushreel lawn mower?

Post by Small Law Survivor » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:06 pm

I purchased this Scotts 2000-20 20-Inch Classic Push Reel Lawn Mower in 2013 (boy, time flies).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000 ... UTF8&psc=1

It is non-gas/non-electric - human muscle powered 100%.

It needs to be sharpened this year for sure, but before I go through the process of figuring out how to sharpen the blades, I was thinking maybe it was time to replace it with something a bit better. Five years use out of a mower that costs $140 seems like maybe I got my monies worth.

Any recommendation for which I might upgrade to, or thoughts on whether it's worth it? Should I just stick with this cheapo basic mower?

thanks in advance.

bloom2708

Re: Good pushreel lawn mower?

Post by bloom2708 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:11 pm

Read reviews on the Fiskars StaySharp Max 18” on Amazon.

It is the best I’ve tried in a reel mower.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:17 pm

I own the same mower, and for a little longer than you have owned yours. Sharpening the blade isn't difficult at all, and should take you 30 minutes at most. It should be done every new season.

Please buy the sharpening kit on Amazon for $12 and don't waste money on a new mower unless something else is critically wrong with the one you have.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:39 pm

Why not go with a Zero Turn Mower?
Or an electric?

I have a bunch of these fellas but they seem to cost a lot more than the amount of grass they keep down.Image
j

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:46 pm

Loik098 wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:17 pm
I own the same mower, and for a little longer than you have owned yours. Sharpening the blade isn't difficult at all, and should take you 30 minutes at most. It should be done every new season.

Please buy the sharpening kit on Amazon for $12 and don't waste money on a new mower unless something else is critically wrong with the one you have.
Appreciate this advise. I saw this product a year ago, and it sounded like a hassle to use/apply. I take it from your comment that this is not the case .... nice to hear :)

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:13 pm

Small Law Survivor wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:46 pm
Loik098 wrote:

Appreciate this advise. I saw this product a year ago, and it sounded like a hassle to use/apply. I take it from your comment that this is not the case .... nice to hear :)
No, it's very easy. You don't actually remove the blade. You simply remove the "hubcap" from one of the wheels, and disengage the wheel lock. After brushing on the sharpening compound on all sides of the blade, you then use this kit's "handle" to turn the wheels while the blade self-sharpens (the compound sharpens the blade as it hits the bottom cutter edge). Then rinse off, let air dry, and spray some WD-40.

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:57 am

[/quote]No, it's very easy. You don't actually remove the blade. You smply remove the "hubcap" from one of the wheels, and disengage the wheel lock. After brushing on the sharpening compound on all sides of the blade, you then use this kit's "handle" to turn the wheels while the blade self-sharpens (the compound sharpens the blade as it hits the bottom cutter edge). Then rinse off, let air dry, and spray some WD-40.
[/quote]

OK, will try it - if I have any trouble, I'll give you a call :happy

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:59 am

No, it's very easy. You don't actually remove the blade. You smply remove the "hubcap" from one of the wheels, and disengage the wheel lock. After brushing on the sharpening compound on all sides of the blade, you then use this kit's "handle" to turn the wheels while the blade self-sharpens (the compound sharpens the blade as it hits the bottom cutter edge). Then rinse off, let air dry, and spray some WD-40.
OK, will try it - if I have any trouble, I'll give you a call :happy

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:35 am

I remember taking our reel mower to the local Ace Hardware guy to have the blades sharpened for $2! Wonder if they still do it or know how. :)

The529guy

Post by The529guy » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:11 pm

Loik098 wrote:

THANK YOU! This is exactly what I’ve been looking for :beer

Post by 80125 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:09 pm

...Push Reel Lawn Mower...human muscle powered 100%....needs to be sharpened this year. Any recommendation for which I might upgrade to, or thoughts on whether it's worth it? Should I just stick with this cheapo basic mower?
Have a small suburban lot with just enough grass to work up a sweat using a Mascot reel mower. One more way to get the heart-rate up along with a 'good cut.' On year 6 and other than 1x per year basic maintenance, sharpening twice and replacing the roller (because I beat on it pretty hard) I plan on continuing to use it until I get lazy. I've had more than a few neighbors favorably comment (never know what they say behind closed doors :) ) and two said they're headed the same direction. I also still use a manual edger...a little more gruntin' for me.

Keep yours, see how much more life ya' can get out of it. Besides, one of these days when your over-the-hill and burning-down your portfolio you may not have the juice (or desire) to cut grass. Might remember it fondly.

MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:47 pm

Twenty five years ago, I bought my first house and began mowing my 0.1 acre lot with a reel mower and hand clippers. That lasted a few years until I discovered battery powered mowers and weed eaters.