Slimline AC condenser

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
pjv

Slimline AC condenser

Post by pjv » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:47 pm

I'm forced to buy a "slimline" air conditioner condenser by my city, since I want to put the condenser on the side of the my house and there is a setback requirement.

I'm trying to find such condensers with the non-standard ability to:
  • Have multiple speeds (two would be fine). All the ones I found were single-stage.
  • Optional: to be 3.5 tons. When I researched Bryant, Carrier and a few others, I realized that their slimline condensers come in either 3 or 4 tons.
Does anybody have a slimline condenser? What has your experience been?

Does anybody have experience with both single-speed condensers and two/multiple-speed condensers? Are more than one speeds really worth it? The Internet says it's worth it in theory, but I haven't been able to find anyone that has tried both to know their thoughts.

Do brands like Toshiba, Daikin and Mitsubishi have such condensers? Does anybody own them and do you like them? If I understand correctly, those brands are mostly used in Asia and Europe and I can't figure out if they will play well with my Bryant furnace and coil.

I live in north CA in case it matters.

pjv

Re: Slimline AC condenser

Post by pjv » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:06 pm

Anyone?

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:10 pm

Maybe a split-ductless system would fit.

MStrambolo

Post by MStrambolo » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:20 pm

I had a Mitsubishi mini split, heat pump system. I had one unit that served two air handlers (the things on the wall inside that blow hot or cold) and another that served just one. One of the units provided heat down to about 20 degrees outdoors (advertised as down to 13 but it conked out around 20) and one that provided heat down to below zero, which was never fully tested since the temp never got that low. Both provided AC.

I loved the system. The air handlers were nearly silent, so sleeping near one was no problem. They circulated cool or warm air though my space very nicely. They were also quite energy efficient. Where two window AC's had burned through over $300 a month, these two units which cooled better and cooled a larger area, cost only about $150 - for cooling or heating. Mitsubishi also had an add-on which allowed me to turn the units on or off and set the temperature with my cell phone, so I could start the AC's before leaving work and my space was delightfully cool when I got home. They dehumidified very well.

I sold the place with the mini split system and now live in an apartment that can only accommodate window units. I miss the Mitsubishi very much.

FYI

lws6772

Post by lws6772 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:43 pm

Another great website to ask this question is hvac-talk.com. They helped us decide on a system for a small house(20' x 20') we built behind our main house last fall. We ended up going with a Mitsubishi mini split, heat pump system. It has worked great so far, but this will be it's first Texas full summer, so we'll see. It is very quite and I hear(and read) these systems are very popular these days. But definitely check with hvac-talk.com.