Mid May trip to Malta

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ready20

Mid May trip to Malta

Post by ready20 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:52 am

The title says it all. Wife and friend headed to Malta in May. Would love to hear any feedback that could improve their trip! Thanks in advance.

obgraham

Re: Mid May trip to Malta

Post by obgraham » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:03 pm

We found Malta one of the most interesting places we have visited. But then, we like history, ruins, old churches, and old cities. Malta has these in abundance. Pretty good food, too. Day trip by ferry to Gozo is very nice.

Traveler

Post by Traveler » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:56 pm

Malta has been on my list for a while now. Maybe next year. I don't have any advice but I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Nova1967

Post by Nova1967 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:31 pm

I was thinking of a side trip to Malta from Sicily, Looking forward to some feedback about Malta

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:42 pm

ready20 wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:52 am
The title says it all. Wife and friend headed to Malta in May. Would love to hear any feedback that could improve their trip! Thanks in advance.
We travelled around by local bus, but renting a car is certainly possible.

There is a fabulous seafood restaurant in St Paul . Can't remember the name off hand.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restauran ... Malta.html

Might be L'Artista

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractio ... Malta.html

Gozo was fascinating-- more rural - you take a ferry. The famous arch has just collapsed unfortunately.

The prehistoric stuff was really interesting. Malta has some of the oldest sites in Europe (along with the Orkneys north of Scotlan, oddly).

Valetta was fascinating. Both the history of the Great Siege (1560s) and the Knights of St John, and the second Great Siege (1940-42). I really liked the Operation Husky (invasion of Sicily, July 1943) Museum, the HQ of the Allied Forces for the invasion.

Mdina was worth the visit-- it is different, much more of an Arab city in feel.

If you scuba dive, then Gozo I think is supposed to be one of the best places in the Mediterranean - WW2 wrecks.

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:52 am

If they are interested in birds of prey, they might like the Malta Falconry Centre.

My wife and I were there last summer, and did the full-day (5-hour) falconry experience - it's odd to have a Harris's hawk gripping your gauntleted hand with its talons, looking you straight in the eye as if to say, "So are you going to feed me those chicken bits or what?"

Valetta and the Three Cities right across the Grand Harbour are outstanding.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"