New retirees: so whatdayathink ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
tennisplyr

New retirees: so whatdayathink ?

Post by tennisplyr » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:31 am

For those of you who have retired within the past year or so, how is it? Have there been any major surprises or adjustments you've had to make. Anything you need help with?
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

invst65

Re: New retirees: so whatdayathink ?

Post by invst65 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:12 am

It's harder to catch a fish than I thought it would be.

Sitting in front of a computer for over 40 years is hard on the body, making the goal of having a more active lifestyle in retirement a bit more of a challenge than anticipated.

Other than that, I'm quite content. I turn 69 in a couple of months and they say that along with age 23, it's supposed to be one of the happiest years in your life so I'm looking forward to it. Just have to ignore the pessimist in me reminding me that this means it's all downhill from there.

1TheGame

Post by 1TheGame » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:07 am

Long time lurker, just registered so this is my first post. I retired about 2 months ago (at age 59), due in no small part to what I have learned here over the years. I transitioned to part time a few years ago and gradually ramped down until I was half time for the year prior to retiring. Having more time to do things I want to do is fantastic. This ranges from "lazy" activities such as getting up in the morning whenever I want and having a slow-paced breakfast, to having plenty of time for the vigorous outdoor activities I enjoy. No surprises or adjustments; I'm sure the slow ramp from full time to retired helped with that.

My only general recommendation for others is to not fall prey to the OMY syndrome; never take for granted that you will continue to enjoy good health (based on what I have seen happen to others). In other words, be conscious that you may run out of health/time before you run out of money. Once I did a cash flow analysis that projected my withdrawal ratio to age 70 (factoring in SS for my spouse and I, and various tax benefits), it was rather obvious that I no longer needed to work.

magicrat

Post by magicrat » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:09 am

invst65 wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:12 am

Sitting in front of a computer for over 40 years is hard on the body, making the goal of having a more active lifestyle in retirement a bit more of a challenge than anticipated.

Other than that, I'm quite content. I turn 69 in a couple of months and they say that along with age 23, it's supposed to be one of the happiest years in your life so I'm looking forward to it. Just have to ignore the pessimist in me reminding me that this means it's all downhill from there.
I suggest going on charter boats. Much easier to catch.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:17 pm

I am 3.5 years into my retirement. I have not had major surprises, but there are some things that are different from my initial plans.

1. My interest in travel has diminished. I am still traveling, but this year it will be 80 to 90 days away from home instead of 120 days in the first two years. I am now more interested in returning to places where I have friends, such as France and Czech Republic, than exploring places I have not been to. I walked el Camino de Santiago in 2015 and 2016, and shall return in 2019 or 2020.

2. I have tried many activities in the Washington D.C. area that I had been interested in. Now, I am emphasizing the ones that I really enjoy, such as improvisation comedy and writers' meetups.

3. I have always led a healthy life and don't have any diseases. But recently I started reading about and implementing advanced health-related activities such as intermittent fasting, barefoot shoes, Epsom salt baths, cold showers, orange goggles when using electronic devices, and a bed of nails.

4. My days are better planned and more productive than when I was working. I prioritize good sleep, I don't multitask or get distracted by email or chat, I open shades letting daylight into my home office, and I accomplish things towards my personal goals.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

MP123

Post by MP123 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:35 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:17 pm
3. I have always led a healthy life and don't have any diseases. But recently I started reading about and implementing advanced health-related activities such as intermittent fasting, barefoot shoes, Epsom salt baths, cold showers, orange goggles when using electronic devices, and a bed of nails.
Surely this is part of your comedy routine? :shock: :D

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:48 pm

MP123 wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:35 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
Nope, I am dead serious.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

GCD

Post by GCD » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:54 pm

I had a plan for retirement and threw it out. I had planned on returning to school, getting a PhD in my field and teaching college/doing research. However, I found after a year of school that I really wasn't interested in my field anymore. I also discovered that I had way more money than I thought and had no need for a post-retirement second career.

So I fill my day with a variety of activities and take college courses in a field completely different from what I did the last 20 years. I may end up getting a PhD in that new field, but it'll be more of a bucket list thing than a stepping stone to employment of any kind.

I see it often said that you need to retire to something, not from something. Or words to that effect. While that is true, don't be afraid to change things up and take a different path than you originally planned.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:59 pm

GCD wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:54 pm
I see it often said that you need to retire to something, not from something. Or words to that effect. While that is true, don't be afraid to change things up and take a different path than you originally planned.
I agree with you.

I have attended a workshop and read the book "Designing Your Life" by two Stanford engineering professors. They recommend using a "rapid prototyping" approach to trying different projects and activities and quickly discarding those that are not promising. The analogy to rapid prototyping has liberated me from pursuing projects that became less relevant.

Victoria

Michread

Post by Michread » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:02 pm

I’m tired of hearing, “Your too young to retire,” so I need to stop telling people. :oops:

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:35 pm

I'm several months away, but I use the analogy of a racehorse standing just behind the starting gate at the Kentucky Derby. All I can do is look across to the other side as I impatiently wait for the gun to sound off.

I spent the week at a mandatory work related conference. I could not focus, it was horrible. I had no interest. At breaks, people tried to talk to me, hand me their business cards and all I could think of was - "what for?"

I have it bad.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:53 pm

Barefootgirl wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:35 pm
I'm several months away, but I use the analogy of a racehorse standing just behind the starting gate at the Kentucky Derby. All I can do is look across to the other side as I impatiently wait for the gun to sound off.

I spent the week at a mandatory work related conference. I could not focus, it was horrible. I had no interest. At breaks, people tried to talk to me, hand me their business cards and all I could think of was - "what for?"

I have it bad.
I just retired last week. I had pretty much decided to retire for sure late last year. But the way the compensation is structured people wait until end of February to announce to ensure that they get the rest of their previous year's variable compensation (amount based on performance review). I waited an extra week to finish up a big project - I still had a few smaller ones in flight that I needed to transition. I wanted to be out no later than the end of March but they asked me to stay to mid April. It was really hard to stay motivated. I don't know how people who announce their retirement months in advance do it.

Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:57 pm

"I spent the week at a mandatory work related conference. I could not focus, it was horrible. I had no interest. At breaks, people tried to talk to me, hand me their business cards and all I could think of was - "what for?"

I decided to "pretire" 3 years ago not at a conference, but because it was time to sign up for the same conference I had been involved in as a speaker/ vendor for the prior 5 years in the same destination I have come to loth. DW was traveling international, sometimes staying in nice hotels for a work week. I decided I would rather travel with her, where appropriate and managed an international trip once a quarter for close to 3 years.
Those last couple show cycles just were no longer interesting to me after having done over 250 conferences over my career. Now when I travel, I have to get up and move at the airport lounge if subjected to hearing others "business problems!"... Sort of like the movie Arthur, when he is visiting his father and he tells the butler "I don't like it here." and the butler replies "Of course you don't Arthur... there is work being done here".

But to get back on topic, I didn't expect I would be having dreams at night involving past work associates in various industries and locations...usually during some of my deepest sleep rhythms.

invst65

Post by invst65 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:12 pm

GCD wrote:
I see it often said that you need to retire to something, not from something. Or words to that effect.
If think that is probably good advice for someone considering early retirement.

I was ready and waiting for it, but at age 67 I was forced into retirement by my employer and as I was being shown out the door I was starting to enjoy the feeling that my career was finally over and I could do what I wanted from now on even though I had no idea what that would be.

And a year and a half later I like waking up in the morning without any goals to achieve. Well, I do have some but I should call them soft-goals. Nobody is going to hold me accountable for not achieving them. And I have nothing to prove - even to myself.

In this respect, retirement has been the kind of singularity in my life I always thought it would be. If I had been able to retire early I'm not sure it would have been the same. I suspect there would have been a constant gnawing feeling about the need to do something and I wouldn't have felt as free as I do now.
Last edited by invst65 on Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.

sperry8

Post by sperry8 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:25 pm

1TheGame wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:07 am
Long time lurker, just registered so this is my first post. I retired about 2 months ago (at age 59), due in no small part to what I have learned here over the years. I transitioned to part time a few years ago and gradually ramped down until I was half time for the year prior to retiring. Having more time to do things I want to do is fantastic. This ranges from "lazy" activities such as getting up in the morning whenever I want and having a slow-paced breakfast, to having plenty of time for the vigorous outdoor activities I enjoy. No surprises or adjustments; I'm sure the slow ramp from full time to retired helped with that.

My only general recommendation for others is to not fall prey to the OMY syndrome; never take for granted that you will continue to enjoy good health (based on what I have seen happen to others). In other words, be conscious that you may run out of health/time before you run out of money. Once I did a cash flow analysis that projected my withdrawal ratio to age 70 (factoring in SS for my spouse and I, and various tax benefits), it was rather obvious that I no longer needed to work.
Welcome to Bogleheads! Nice advice, and it is true. I retired 11 years ago, in my late thirties. I've already had to deal with health issues, although thank goodness, I was able to get over them. Your advice is sound... we prepare (responsibly) as though we'll live into our 90s... but we may not enjoy health as long. Retiring early was my way of enjoying life now, while healthy.

As for the OPs question... it takes a while when you come off work to understand how to relax. How you don't need to do something every moment of every day. That first 3-6 mos was a struggle for me in this regard. But as the years have passed I've learned to enjoy lifes little moments and it doesn't bother me when my friends ask "what do you do all day?". I'm content and happy. Some days are filled with travel, others with sports, and others with relaxation. Not everyone needs to live the way society teaches us (work work work, stay busy busy busy).
Humbling BH contest results: 2017: #516 of 647 | 2016: #121 of 610 | 2015: #18 of 552 | 2014: #225 of 503 | 2013: #383 of 433 | 2012: #366 of 410 | 2011: #113 of 369 | 2010: #53 of 282

moehoward

Post by moehoward » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:08 pm

I've been retired for 2 years. Not really any surprises. I'm not on Medicare yet but getting insurance was no big deal. We did downsize (should have done it earlier) and we travel extensively. I guess my only issue is not drinking mediocre wine.

RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:18 pm

I retired 2 yrs ago the end of this month......

1. I am happy with my when decision - age 66.
2. I left not pissed off nor burnt out. Basically I came to the decision "42 years is enough, its time to make the leap".
3. I've adjusted better and quicker to retired life than I thought I would.
4. I've focused more on staying healthy and now have the time to walk and exercise each day.
5. Retiring into an up market plus actually seeing what our cash flow/withdrawals turned out be, has allayed most financial fears. Much of that fear was just the anxiety of the unknown. My models said we would be in good shape.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:57 pm

To someone who asks, what do you do all day I say "whatever I want". With regards to activities I like to say I let the day come to me.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

steve roy

Post by steve roy » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:03 pm

Barefootgirl wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:35 pm

I have it bad.
My last year working was hectic. Lots of political pressures, and I had no idea who was going to replace me. (I ran a Hollywood entertainment labor union with a small staff and a lot of members. The days were full.)

Now it's a year and five months later, my successor is running the organization his own way, and seeks no advice from me. (Halleluiah!) And the farther I get away from the pressures and hassles of the job, the better I like it.

GCD

Post by GCD » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:30 pm

tennisplyr wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:57 pm
To someone who asks, what do you do all day I say "whatever I want". With regards to activities I like to say I let the day come to me.
Have you been getting pushback of various kinds now that you are retired?

Hyperborea

Post by Hyperborea » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:50 pm

I've been retired about a year and a half now. The biggest surprise is how much work it is to empty out a house. We've been at it for about a year now with increasing intensity and trying to sell as much as we can or make sure that stuff goes to somebody who will use it rather than putting it in the landfill. I'm down to the final 10 days before we fly out of the Bay Area and we've got almost all of it done. It's been amazing how much stuff that we accumulated over the years and how much "just in case" things we had squirrelled away. I wish that we had done at least minor cleanups more regularly over the years.

After we leave here, we're going to spend the summer travelling and visiting family before heading to Japan where I'll go to language school for a couple of years. I'll take my middling level of language skill and make it a lot better. It's something that I've wanted to do for a long time. It's been a hard road to improve even to the point I'm at when I'm not immersed in the language.

I've been careful who I've told that I retired at 51 but the response has been mostly positive but that's here in the Bay Area. I think we've caused a few of our friends and acquaintances to examine the possibility.
"Plans are worthless, but planning is everything." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

smegal

Post by smegal » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:57 pm

Isn't a barefoot shoe an oxymoron? Also count me in for the others except the cold showers, orange goggles (I have a yellow filter on computer), bed of nails, intermittent fasting and epsom salt baths. :happy

Good Listener

Post by Good Listener » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:10 pm

Retired 1 year. I walk a lot and read a lot and don't use an alarm. I now have medical issues I never had before I was 65 and have time to go to doctors. I walked 4.5 miles each way today today to a cardiologist whom I had to browbeat into a nuclear stress test in a few weeks when I will do the same 9 miles. I warn you all.... life is short and you never know.

Also I'm afraid to fly and don't like to travel. People keep telling me to enjoy my life and travel more and I keep telling them that I enjoy my life when I don't travel at all.

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:19 pm

I’ve been retired for a few months now, my employer just doesn’t know it yet. :D
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!

2comma

Post by 2comma » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:56 pm

I got an early retirement offer at 58 that I couldn't refuse. It's been 5 years now but I swear it only feels like 1. I truly retired away from work and not really into anything other than vague notions of doing some DIY projects around the house - my wife had 7 years to go before she could retire at 55. We've traveled and chartered sailboats and scuba dived for many years but I don't need the escape of it as much as I did while working. Now I relish being able to stay up late, sleep in if I want, walking the dogs for an hour or so everyday and taking life at a slower pace. I get to go where I need to go when I want and I avoid rush hour and early appointments like the plague. It may not be right for everyone but I find my retirement quite relaxing. Luckily, in my 30's we would go to mountain lake cabins with our boat and little else to do - no TV, no internet and I would be bored to death for a few days, then I'd relax and get into the zone for a few days before worrying about going back to my regular grind. I say that is when I learned to truly relax. My goal now is to stay in that zone as much as possible.

We have managed to go snowmobiling in Yellowstone this winter (had a blast) and are about to go to the UK and Scotland for two weeks in June so we add a little spice to our lives from time to time.
If I am stupid I will pay.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:25 am

I worked into my seventies and was able to travel extensively both locally and internationally. In retirement I wanted to spend at least two years learning stuff for which I did not have time while working. I have just completed a semester of Spanish and photography at a community college. I really enjoy meeting the students. There is a large variety of ages and reasons the students are there.

I had no idea that Photoshop was so full function and many in the class are in different stages of becoming designers, photographers etc. I took the class so that I could take better travel photographs. When I discovered that the class entailed doing portraits and even surreal photos, I nearly dumped it several times. I decided to hang in and trotted around my Midwestern town taking photos even when it was so cold, my fingers could hardly depress the controls of the camera. I cannot wait for the trees to get their leaves! I have also learned a great deal about my camera, photoshop and my city. I did not even know that there was a trail through the wood along a river that is only a mile from my house.

In the summer I am a course on web design. In the winter I will take some more Spanish. There is not sufficient demand for classes so they are scheduled irregularly. I need to decide how much time, effort and money I want to spend on Spanish as there is not a great demand for it in the area where I live.
Last edited by Lynette on Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:32 am

invst65 wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:12 am
Haha - reminds me of something. Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer ;)

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:33 am

randomizer wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:19 pm
I’ve been retired for a few months now, my employer just doesn’t know it yet. :D
:D

indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:40 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:48 pm
MP123 wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Nope, I am dead serious.

Victoria
I have been ding the same for years. Try the night glasses for TV at night. On the couch not bed. Helps relaxing before bed. And the bed of nails is awesome for naps.

indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:40 am

VictoriaF wrote:
MP123 wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Nope, I am dead serious.

Victoria
I have been ding the same for years. Try the night glasses for TV at night. On the couch not bed. Helps relaxing before bed. And the bed of nails is awesome for naps.

Toons

Post by Toons » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:53 am

Every Day Is A Holiday
Every Meal Is A Banquet

:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:02 am

Hyperborea wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:50 pm
I've been retired about a year and a half now. The biggest surprise is how much work it is to empty out a house. We've been at it for about a year now with increasing intensity and trying to sell as much as we can or make sure that stuff goes to somebody who will use it rather than putting it in the landfill. I'm down to the final 10 days before we fly out of the Bay Area and we've got almost all of it done. It's been amazing how much stuff that we accumulated over the years and how much "just in case" things we had squirrelled away. I wish that we had done at least minor cleanups more regularly over the years.
I'm going to take this advice to heart. I say my brain is like my basement - to store more I need to empty space. I think I'll start emptying space in my basement, so that I'm more ready ;)

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:14 am

VictoriaF wrote:
orange goggles when using electronic devices
You can probably program your electronics to put out less blue light (especially in the evening), then you do not need goggles

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:35 am

indexonlyplease wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:40 am
VictoriaF wrote:
MP123 wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Nope, I am dead serious.

Victoria
It's a good suggestion and useful to other Bogleheads. But I don't have a TV and have one fewer screens to worry about.

Victoria

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:38 am

dknightd wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:14 am
VictoriaF wrote:
You can probably program your electronics to put out less blue light (especially in the evening), then you do not need goggles
Thank you, I will look into it. What I like about orange goggles is how cheap, simple, and effective this solution is. It's an Occam's razor of gadgets.

Victoria

vested1

Post by vested1 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:15 am

A week in the travel trailer starting on Monday on the California coast, walking on the beach and kayaking in the bay. My wife and I have simple needs, and feel very fortunate to be with someone who shares an easygoing outlook. Retirement is a dream come true and better than imagined.

2+ years retired.

gotester2000

Post by gotester2000 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:20 am

invst65 wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:12 pm
GCD wrote:
I see it often said that you need to retire to something, not from something. Or words to that effect.

I was ready and waiting for it, but at age 67 I was forced into retirement by my employer and as I was being shown out the door I was starting to enjoy the feeling that my career was finally over and I could do what I wanted from now on even though I had no idea what that would be.

And a year and a half later I like waking up in the morning without any goals to achieve. Well, I do have some but I should call them soft-goals. Nobody is going to hold me accountable for not achieving them. And I have nothing to prove - even to myself.

In this respect, retirement has been the kind of singularity in my life I always thought it would be. If I had been able to retire early I'm not sure it would have been the same. I suspect there would have been a constant gnawing feeling about the need to do something and I wouldn't have felt as free as I do now.
This is fantastic and almost my feelings. The last sentence is the icing on the cake and my current state - nothing to prove but many years left in me to do something.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:50 am

invst65 wrote:

Goals give you the sense of purpose. Being accountable to yourself or others keeps you disciplined and focused. I think that often cited statistics of post-retirement mortality reflect the loss of purpose among some retirees.

The beauty of retirement goals is that you select them yourself. You decide what makes you happy and experiment with different ways of making yourself happy. If some experiments don't work, you use the "rapid prototyping" approach to terminate them and try others.

Victoria

vested1

Post by vested1 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:57 am

gotester2000 wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:20 am
invst65 wrote:
GCD wrote:

This is fantastic and almost my feelings. The last sentence is the icing on the cake and my current state - nothing to prove but many years left in me to do something.
+1
During working years I sometimes felt frustrated in that I was always the highest achiever, but with little recognition, or a stepping stool for more ambitious climbers. Perhaps I should have been more assertive in seeking that recognition, but I decided that wasn't my goal. After I retired that load was taken off of my back, and I realized that any lingering regrets were a waste of time and energy.

I had accomplished all of my goals, after all. Small thinking individuals can only hold power over you if you allow them to. Any proof of my self-worth was satisfied long before retirement. Future goals no longer include overachieving.

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:24 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:38 am
Occam's razor of gadgets.

Victoria
I agree, less gadgets is the way to go

Post by 2015 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:39 am

The profound realization that a life is made up of masks, shaped by our histories and our current environment, that changing location invites a changing of that mask, that our lives are made up of a series of nothing more than stories, and that retirement can be an unprecedented opportunity to drop all of those stories in exchange for unlimited possibility. Nothing is guaranteed in this life so taking it seriously just might be a waste of whatever life is left.

So let the good times roll.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:46 am

2015 wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:39 am
retirement can be an unprecedented opportunity to drop all of those stories in exchange for unlimited possibility
Beautifully said. Thanks!

Victoria

TresBelle65

Post by TresBelle65 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:01 pm

I'm curious about the Epsom salt baths. In our family, we've used them in the case of sprained ankles, but nothing more.

What are the other benefits?

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:33 pm

I am 42 and so far retired. I might go back part time but enjoying getting up and going to the gym every morning for a few hours. I am in so much better shape compared to when I was working. It feels like physical fitness is my new job and I enjoy it so much. When it gets warm I'll bike to the gym and I am really looking forward to this. The great thing is Planet Fitness is $10 a month. Definitely getting my money's worth.

In the afternoon I'll work on some hobbies and then help prepare supper for when the wife gets home from work. I spend the evenings with my wife. Rinse and repeat during the week. On weekends when it gets warm my wife and I will head to northern Wisconsin for some biking, kayaking and fishing. I have family up there that we stay with for free. We're saving up for a trip to the UK next year.

If I go back part time, it will be in the winter months only.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:42 pm

TresBelle65 wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:01 pm
I'm curious about the Epsom salt baths. In our family, we've used them in the case of sprained ankles, but nothing more.

What are the other benefits?
My reasons for using Epsom salt baths are that they supply magnesium, help with muscle cramps, and help to fall asleep.

Victoria

indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:13 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
dknightd wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
Thank you, I will look into it. What I like about orange goggles is how cheap, simple, and effective this solution is. It's an Occam's razor of gadgets.

Victoria
Download f.lux on your electronics. No glasses needed.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:58 pm

Michread wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:02 pm
I’m tired of hearing, “Your too young to retire,” so I need to stop telling people. :oops:
+1

I retired from the Federal government after 40 years of service, but because I had not yet turned 65, I got a lot of biting comments from friends outside the government. Most of my fellow Federal retirees, on the other hand, have been supportive, although a few chastise me for not cashing in on my knowledge and my connections by doing "consulting."

GCD

Post by GCD » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:08 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:58 pm
Michread wrote:
+1

I retired from the Federal government after 40 years of service, but because I had not yet turned 65, I got a lot of biting comments from friends outside the government. Most of my fellow Federal retirees, on the other hand, have been supportive, although a few chastise me for not cashing in on my knowledge and my connections by doing "consulting."
Sorry to hear that. Here's some ammo. https://www.federaltimes.com/management ... deral-pay/

Depending on who you cite, federal employees are often underpaid. If you are a professional you are really underpaid. People will say "yes, but what about the pension and health insurance?" Well, it's hard to compare the health insurance with current private sector coverage, or at least I haven't tried. But if I had bought my pension as an annuity it would have cost me around 1.25M. Considering my high three was around 150K and my class rank peers from law school have been making 2-3 times that for well over a decade, I don't think my pension is out of line. In fact, I consider myself to have donated a great level of skill and education for the benefit of the country. I don't feel screwed, I made my choice and I'm happy with it, but I don't let people go down the road of claiming I got some sweet deal.

It's funny. Nobody begrudges a private sector lawyer or doctor a great salary, but God forbid one of us goes to work for the federal government and then retires early with a pension.

So as it pertains to the topic at hand, sometimes you have to be prepared to defend your retired status against all the people that couldn't be bothered to plan for their own retirement and are resentful.

GCD

Post by GCD » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:10 pm

Michread wrote:
Just tell people you are a financial advisor with a closed client list. 8-)

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:40 pm

indexonlyplease wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:13 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
dknightd wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
Download f.lux on your electronics. No glasses needed.
I looked into f.lux and did not like some of its features. I recall that it was asking for one's location in order to know the time zone. I don't like disclosing my location. Then I saw comments about f.lux interfering with some graphics and colors. Most importantly, I like to control when I put my orange goggles on. I don't want an app to do it for me automatically.

Victoria