Negotiating for a new Toyota.[my fault comparing apples and oranges]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Dottie57

Negotiating for a new Toyota.[my fault comparing apples and oranges]

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:18 pm

I have been emailing with a sales person at the local Toyota dealership. I've bought two Camrys from the dealership (1992, 2006).

I asked for an out the door price for 2 vehicles

1) Camry XLE with moonroof
2) RAV4 XLE with power premium package.

His price for the Camry was $200 less than MSRP
The price for RAV4 was same as MSRP.

I replied that I was very confused with pricing.

How do I negotiate a better price. In Minnesota it has been winter weather in April. I can't imagine there has been a run on cars lately.

Should I look elsewhere.? Does Costco have a pricing service to help you get better prices? Any other pricing services?

I was comparing MSRP to out the door price which included mn sales tax and the crazy doc fees, license, title filing fee, etc. So the price is a little bit better than carsdirect.com. Much more in line with what I expected.

Sorry for raising the desperation flag.
Last edited by Dottie57 on Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Alexa9

Re: Negotiating for a new Toyota.

Post by Alexa9 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:22 pm

Don't ask for their price. Give several dealers your price OTD and see who bites first.

http://www.tellmethebest.com/toyota.html

N10sive

Post by N10sive » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:24 pm

Costco pricing is still probably high but might get you to a better starting point. Also true car may help to see the typical costs curve and then you can decide what you believe is fair.

Neither of those will give you info without signing up to a dealer. This could help in that you could try multiple dealers.

JeffAL

Post by JeffAL » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:30 pm

I just bought a new Toyota a month ago. I bet I emailed about 10 different dealers within a 1.5 hour drive. I ended up buying from the 2nd closest.

Socal77

Post by Socal77 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:38 pm

Use Edmunds.com

Look up what you want then Edmunds will forward your information to nearby dealers who will compete with each other to get the sale.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:40 pm

carsdirect.com is another buying site that will give you a price without requiring sign up. A 2018 Camry XLE with panoramic roof is going for about $2000 off MSRP or $500 above invoice in my area. Since the site is getting some compensation, you could probably buy one for closer to invoice if you negotiate hard and directly with several dealers. There is also $750 loyalty cash back available that you might qualify for that is not reflected in the above.
Last edited by Kenkat on Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:40 pm

Don't buy from this dealer.

They know you have bought from them twice before. They know what kind of deal they gave you. They are probably basing their prices on the past deals they gave you.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

dual

Post by dual » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:45 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:18 pm
I have been emailing with a sales person at the local Toyota dealership. I've bought two Camrys from the dealership (1992, 2006).

Should I look elsewhere.? Does Costco have a pricing service to help you get better prices? Any other pricing services?
Yes.

According to the BH thread on email car buying, which I suggest you read, the first step is to decide on the precise model that you want. It looks like you have done that. The next step is find the email addresses of all dealers within reasonable driving distance and send them identical emails:
Please provide me with an OTD price for the car I submitted an inquiry for. There will be no trade-in and I will not be financing with the dealer. I have already test-driven this car so I am already familiar with it. I have submitted price requests to multiple dealers and will purchase the car from the dealer that offers the lowest price. You will need my zip code to calculate taxes to generate an OTD price. (xxxxx). Please let me know if you have any questions.
See the thread linked above for other suggestions.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:48 pm

Dottie57 wrote:

LOL. Is this a rare Camry?

My reply would be that you can find MSRP yourself, but you'd like to know what his offer is so you can compare it to the other offers you will get. I think he will get the hint.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:49 pm

dual wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:45 pm
Dottie57 wrote:

Yes.

According to the BH thread on email car buying, which I suggest you read, the first step is to decide on the precise model that you want. It looks like you have done that. The next step is find the email addresses of all dealers within reasonable driving distance and send them identical emails:
Please provide me with an OTD price for the car I submitted an inquiry for. There will be no trade-in and I will not be financing with the dealer. I have already test-driven this car so I am already familiar with it. I have submitted price requests to multiple dealers and will purchase the car from the dealer that offers the lowest price. You will need my zip code to calculate taxes to generate an OTD price. (xxxxx). Please let me know if you have any questions.
See the thread linked above for other suggestions.

Thanks. I just thought my regular dealership would be better.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:51 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:48 pm
Dottie57 wrote:

LOL. Is this a rare Camry?

My reply would be that you can find MSRP yourself, but you'd like to know what his offer is so you can compare it to the other offers you will get. I think he will get the hint.
No, there are about 10 at the dealership. I''ve been working through the toyota web site with my zip code. I can see local inventory..

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:54 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
How do I negotiate a better price.
Google search "price paid for (insert car year make model)".

Most vehicles have a forum thread somewhere where people say what they paid. At least will give you idea to go off of.

SleepKing

Post by SleepKing » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:56 pm

Toyotas are in demand and we've found often don't have the 'mega discounts' that you see with domestics. That's purely my opinion.

Are you paying cash? That could give you negotiating power. Are you trading in? Did very plainly you ask for a loyalty discount? Don't hold back, the dealer certainly won't.

We purchased a Toyota last fall found through internet info that many incentives (ie buyer cash, APR rates, etc...) are manufacturer driven. For example, if Rav4's are selling at or above projections in your region, they aren't going to offer many incentives to buy. The dealer legitimately may not have much wiggle room in pricing...and since you are mid-month and early quarter...they very well could not 'need' your sale to hit productivity numbers by giving you a discount to buy.

On the other hand, they could be playing hard ball and best to shop around, lol!

Buying autos in present day is very different than even a few years ago when many of the 'tips and guides' were written. Due diligence and gut feelings go a long way.

Good luck!

02nz

Post by 02nz » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:08 pm

If you don't want to haggle the old-fashioned way (who does?), it seems like the two main methods are:

- Use a site such as Truecar or Edmunds, which provides your contact info to dealers, who'll give you a quote. The dealers know you're shopping around on the internet and you're likely to get at least a decent price this way.

- Or cut out Truecar and Edmunds, and just email the nearest five or however many dealers to see what's their bottom line price on the car you want. Since the dealer doesn't have to pay a fee to Truecar/Edmunds, they can give you an even better price. You might even contact some dealers farther away - let them know you're willing to make the trip for the right deal.

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:21 pm

Here is a post I did about buying a Corolla a few months ago.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=239526&p=3746230&h ... e#p3746230

You really should be contacting all the Toyota dealers that are withing a reasonable driving distance from you. Only about a third of the dealers I contacted were really willing to deal over the internet. Once you buy a car you can have it serviced at any Toyota dealership.

For a starting point you can go to Trucar

https://www.truecar.com/#/

and to get what they say the average price is. Do not give them your contact information.

The trick is that you then scroll down the screen to see the graph of what price people have paid. When you move your mouse over the graph it will show you the details. For example for my zip code for a Camry LE it shows;
MSRP: $24,935
Trucar Average price: $21,895
Lowest price on the graph between" $19,150 and 19,476

So I would expect that you can probably get it for less than $19,500 in my zip code, or at least close to that price. Your local market may be different since Toyota has some sort of "Southeast Toyota" regional organization which affects the prices in my area. If you don't live in a city with lots of Toyota dealers then also get quotes from the nearest large city. Once you have a much better offer there is a reasonable chance that a local dealer will match it or at least come close to matching it.

Local Taxes and Registration would be additional. Above the graph there is a "price details" link where you can see more of the details and that the price does include the destination charge.

On a good day if the stars align you may even be able to beat that price.

Dottie57

Re: Negotiating for a new Toyota.[my fault comparing apples and oranges]

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:26 pm

I was comparing MSRP to out the door price which included mn sales tax and the crazy doc fees, license, title filing fee, etc. So the price is a little bit better than carsdirect.com. Much more in line with what I expected.

Sorry for raising the desperation flag!

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:33 pm

One more thought. If you ask for the prices on two cars they will not take you seriously since you are not saying that you are ready to buy today. Pick one then just ask for that price and say that you are ready to buy in your email.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:38 pm

SleepKing wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:56 pm
Toyotas are in demand and we've found often don't have the 'mega discounts' that you see with domestics. That's purely my opinion.

Are you paying cash? That could give you negotiating power. Are you trading in? Did very plainly you ask for a loyalty discount? Don't hold back, the dealer certainly won't.

We purchased a Toyota last fall found through internet info that many incentives (ie buyer cash, APR rates, etc...) are manufacturer driven. For example, if Rav4's are selling at or above projections in your region, they aren't going to offer many incentives to buy. The dealer legitimately may not have much wiggle room in pricing...and since you are mid-month and early quarter...they very well could not 'need' your sale to hit productivity numbers by giving you a discount to buy.

On the other hand, they could be playing hard ball and best to shop around, lol!

Buying autos in present day is very different than even a few years ago when many of the 'tips and guides' were written. Due diligence and gut feelings go a long way.

Good luck!
Thank you. I will ask for loyalty discount. I am paying cash. I can't find anything for cashback on Toyota Camry right now.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:41 pm

Watty wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:33 pm
One more thought. If you ask for the prices on two cars they will not take you seriously since you are not saying that you are ready to buy today. Pick one then just ask for that price and say that you are ready to buy in your email.
This^

I take the fact that you're asking about 2 cars you haven't yet decided what you want. Once you know what you want, that's when you start looking for a deal. If I were the dealer, I'd expect you're also asking the Honda dealer about an Accord and CR-V, the Nissan dealer about an Altima and Rogue and the Subaru dealer about a Legacy and Forester.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

delamer

Post by delamer » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:57 pm

livesoft wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:40 pm
Don't buy from this dealer.

They know you have bought from them twice before. They know what kind of deal they gave you. They are probably basing their prices on the past deals they gave you.

When the most recent purchase was 12 years ago?

That seems unlikely to me.

multiham

Post by multiham » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:14 pm

Camry's had cash back and 0% interest for 60 months in March. This month Toyota is trying to move Corolla's which have $1,500 cash back and 0% financing for 60 months. If you can wait, my guess is that the cash back on Camry will happen again over the next couple of months. My local dealer told me that cash back offers will continue, but 0% financing may be hard to get going forward. The beauty of waiting for cash back is that I still press the dealer for better pricing since the cash back is coming directly from Toyota and not the dealer itself.

Costco does have a free car buying service for members. They will tell you what dealership to go to and the dealer will show you their invoice and the Costco pricing. As others have said, you can do a little better, but if you don't like negotiating, this is a simple way to purchase.

If you need to buy now, I would just go to the dealer that you bought your previous cars from, and make them an offer at a price that you are happy with. Make it known that you are ready to buy immediately for the right price, but are willing to wait for the right deal. Your sales person will not be able to hit the price you ask for and the sales manager will come out to see you. Just let them know your bottom line price out the door and tell them when they hit it, they have a sale. This has worked numerous times for me. The key is to set a price that you are happy with.

dbr

Post by dbr » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:47 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:26 pm

Exactly. That is probably $2500 under MSRP or 10% under MSRP. My attitude would be this is not a rip off and just buy the car. If you are inclined to squeeze out every last dollar there have been and will be suggestions. You are buying cars at a rate of more than 10 years between purchase. A $1000 gain or loss in price is $100/year on a type of purchase that is a rare event. For me it isn't worth the time and hassle to do more. Other people attack this as a matter of principal or of ego.

scotthal

Post by scotthal » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:59 pm

Don't know if it's relevant, but I priced a VW through CostcoAuto.com a couple days back. Offered deal (at $2300 below MSRP) is better than the TruCar average, & a few hundred less than I can easily get elsewhere -dealership salesfolk saw the hardcopy quote, & couldn't meet (much less beat) it. Figure I'm going w/Costco ... another happy customer.
Growtch, grinch; paranoid contrarian

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:09 pm

dbr wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:47 pm
Dottie57 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:26 pm

Exactly. That is probably $2500 under MSRP or 10% under MSRP. My attitude would be this is not a rip off and just buy the car. If you are inclined to squeeze out every last dollar there have been and will be suggestions. You are buying cars at a rate of more than 10 years between purchase. A $1000 gain or loss in price is $100/year on a type of purchase that is a rare event. For me it isn't worth the time and hassle to do more. Other people attack this as a matter of principal or of ego.
I'll be test driving on Tuesday p.m. Hope to sign for a new car at the end. I should have a well built upgraded Camry at that point. I will be happy to have all the new safety features that are now standard.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:52 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:41 pm
Watty wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:33 pm
This^

I take the fact that you're asking about 2 cars you haven't yet decided what you want. Once you know what you want, that's when you start looking for a deal. If I were the dealer, I'd expect you're also asking the Honda dealer about an Accord and CR-V, the Nissan dealer about an Altima and Rogue and the Subaru dealer about a Legacy and Forester.
First ask for the crv, and when it comes back too high, tell them that and ask about the accord. But that’s still too high for what you get as a second choice and you could spend a little more for the crv, and see if the can come down some, say the accord price for the crv, and add a few hundred above that.

FCM

Post by FCM » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:16 am

I just went through the process of buying a new car this week. I looked at the Toyota Camry, the Honda Accord, and the Hyundai Sonata. I looked very seriously at the Camry but ended up buying the Sonata for a number of reasons. If you are interested in knowing why I bought the Sonata over the Camry, please send me a private message. The issues concerned the relative merits between the two cars, not the price.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:22 am

I really love the new design of the RAV4. Bravo Toyota.

Toyota=rock solid cars.
Hear the clock ticking? That’s your life flying by while you listen to market pundits and watch stock prices fluctuate. -Humble Dollar

david99

Post by david99 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:39 am

I bought a Prius prime about two months ago. I emailed twelve dealers and four came back with an out the door price. One dealer was $1500 cheaper than the rest and the others could not beat his price or even match it. So I recommend emailing many dealers in your area.

marstaton4

Post by marstaton4 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:45 am

If you're considering the Rav4 check out the redesigned 2019 model which most people seem to like MUCH better from the pictures. If you prefer the current model I bet you'll be able to find a much better deal if you wait a few months, or longer.

Beehave

Post by Beehave » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:11 am

multiham wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:14 pm
Camry's had cash back and 0% interest for 60 months in March. This month Toyota is trying to move Corolla's which have $1,500 cash back and 0% financing for 60 months. If you can wait, my guess is that the cash back on Camry will happen again over the next couple of months. My local dealer told me that cash back offers will continue, but 0% financing may be hard to get going forward. The beauty of waiting for cash back is that I still press the dealer for better pricing since the cash back is coming directly from Toyota and not the dealer itself.

Costco does have a free car buying service for members. They will tell you what dealership to go to and the dealer will show you their invoice and the Costco pricing. As others have said, you can do a little better, but if you don't like negotiating, this is a simple way to purchase.

If you need to buy now, I would just go to the dealer that you bought your previous cars from, and make them an offer at a price that you are happy with. Make it known that you are ready to buy immediately for the right price, but are willing to wait for the right deal. Your sales person will not be able to hit the price you ask for and the sales manager will come out to see you. Just let them know your bottom line price out the door and tell them when they hit it, they have a sale. This has worked numerous times for me. The key is to set a price that you are happy with.
+1
If list is 24935, my educated guess is that if you target for eighteen percent off and stick to your guns (on a Camry or Corolla - - don't know about RAV4) you'll get it. Then, yes, they'll tack on a couple of hundred bucks more for documentation courier etc. My belief is that's because at that level of discount they're barely making anything. My target would be 24935 * .82 = 20447. My out the door target would be 20447 plus actual license registration fee plus MN and any other local tax. Then I'd expect some surprise fee of about $200. If they're within a hundred bucks of that or so, the deal is reasonable and fair - - you're getting a good price and the salesperson is pocketing a few bucks and you're getting a car with lots of safety features that should run another 12 years.

The above is based on my own experience and my impressions of that experience and not on any detailed inside knowledge of Toyota operations. One other thing. Your past purchases are a positive and not a negative. Toyota wants to keep the good will of past customers, and my experience is that they actually care (to the limited extent corporations can show care) at the local and regional levels.

Hope this helps.

LeeInTN

Post by LeeInTN » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:19 pm

If the car you actually prefer is not in local dealer inventory - and if you don't absolutely have to drive the car off the lot when you visit the dealer - you might find a better deal *at that dealer* on the precise car you want to buy. You'll just have to wait 24 - 48 hours. The Toyota dealer I bought from last year explained that the online inventory is mostly meaningless since all dealers within a region swap cars among/between them when a customer desires a specific set of options. I factored in the cash back - named my own price, which was much lower than what several dealers had quoted - and my dealer accepted the offer. My RAV4 arrives the next afternoon with 160 miles on it. I've saved well over $1500. Sales guy gets his money and everyone is happy. It is not at all unreasonable to name a price 15% below MSRP, get it accepted, then, as previous poster said, add local registration and sales taxes, plus the wacko doc fee.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:35 pm

SleepKing wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:56 pm

Toyota's and Honda's tend to be more conservative with their MSRP and incentives on them as both have lineups that move at an acceptable speed to their corporate leadership. You generally do not see $1500+ customer cashback on their sedans. Toyota is a bit looser with Tundra IIRC as they're up against Ford, Chevy, and Dodge whom generally have huge, multi-thousand dollar rebates attached to their trucks.

It's been a phenomenon in the last decade or two for the domestics that MSRP continues to creep up and then crazy factory rebates and employee pricing are applied to get 20-40% off MSRP. I'm sort of pulling this out of my you know where, but I'd be surprised if you could not get at least 20% with not much effort for pretty much any Ford, Dodge, Chevy, and maybe even GMC... (except of course for limited models like Dodge Demon, Shelby's, Rapter's and other cars with capped productions and enthusiast followings).

N10sive

Post by N10sive » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:59 pm

Helo80 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:35 pm
It's been a phenomenon in the last decade or two for the domestics that MSRP continues to creep up and then crazy factory rebates and employee pricing are applied to get 20-40% off MSRP.
I recently saw an ad for a Chevy Silverado truck for up to 15k off MSRP. I wanted to see what they would go for after the incentive. They are still 45k! I saw MSRP ranging from 55k to 65k some where even more! I couldn't believe it.

Looking at the Toyota Tacoma for the past 5 years, it really hasn't moved in MSRP for each model tier. Not more than 1k if at all.

pascalwager

Post by pascalwager » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:57 pm

My dealer (not Toyota) didn't allow negotiating (permanent dealer policy), but gave me a $500 discount for going with a color that the manager wanted to move.

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:04 pm

pascalwager wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:57 pm
My dealer (not Toyota) didn't allow negotiating (permanent dealer policy), but gave me a $500 discount for going with a color that the manager wanted to move.
Then why is he/she your dealer? Are you THAT loyal to spend maybe thousands more because a dealer told you they don’t negotiate? This makes absolutely zero sense.

pascalwager

Post by pascalwager » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:15 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:04 pm
pascalwager wrote:
Then why is he/she your dealer? Are you THAT loyal to spend maybe thousands more because a dealer told you they don’t negotiate? This makes absolutely zero sense.
I don't know anything about negotiating and I only buy a new car about every 23 years; so paying extra, if I did, isn't a killer. But you're probably right and you're probably highly skilled, too. When I bought an SUV in 1992, the super high-pressure salesman later told me I paid a lot for it. The truth is I'm probably a lifelong failure at effective car buying.

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:13 am

pascalwager wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:15 pm
Leesbro63 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:04 pm
pascalwager wrote:
I don't know anything about negotiating and I only buy a new car about every 23 years; so paying extra, if I did, isn't a killer. But you're probably right and you're probably highly skilled, too. When I bought an SUV in 1992, the super high-pressure salesman later told me I paid a lot for it. The truth is I'm probably a lifelong failure at effective car buying.
Fair enough. In rethinking this based on this additional information, it's no big deal. Sometimes the convenience of a local dealer is worth paying the juice. Especially if you don't do it frequently. Enjoy your new car!