Pls recommend a cell phone for secondary use

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
TresBelle65

Pls recommend a cell phone for secondary use

Post by TresBelle65 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:05 pm

My current personal cell phone is an iPhone that I really like and it has all the features I use and enjoy.

I need a secondary cell phone for business calls. I need to keep those calls and texts separate from the personal calls and texts. I conduct 90% of my business online, so this phone won't see a lot of use and yet, I still need it.

My plan is to terminate my current landline from Verizon and port the phone number to the new business phone.

I choke a bit at the thought of spending as much for a secondary phone as I did for the iPhone.

Could you please recommend a reliable, reasonably priced phone for voice, text and a couple of apps used for business.?

Thanks

keinodoggy

Re: Pls recommend a cell phone for secondary use

Post by keinodoggy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:29 pm

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:29 pm

TresBelle65 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:05 pm
My current personal cell phone is an iPhone that I really like and it has all the features I use and enjoy.
I need a secondary cell phone for business calls. I need to keep those calls and texts separate from the personal calls and texts. I conduct 90% of my business online, so this phone won't see a lot of use and yet, I still need it.
My plan is to terminate my current landline from Verizon and port the phone number to the new business phone.
I choke a bit at the thought of spending as much for a secondary phone as I did for the iPhone.
Could you please recommend a reliable, reasonably priced phone for voice, text and a couple of apps used for business.?
Thanks
My wife and I each have the Moto-4 (motorola smart phone).

Hyperborea

Post by Hyperborea » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:51 pm

Port the phone number to Google Voice and you may not need a second phone. Have GV set to ring your existing phone number and/or you can answer the phone calls from your computer.

If you really want a second phone then get a Moto X4 (for $249) and use Google Fi. It will cost you a flat $20 per month for the line no matter how many minutes and texts and then $10/GB fractionally charged.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. - Bill Murray

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:29 pm

Hyperborea wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:51 pm
Port the phone number to Google Voice and you may not need a second phone. Have GV set to ring your existing phone number and/or you can answer the phone calls from your computer.
Bingo! I have two numbers running onto my phone.

It is also great to text people from your computer.

rooms222

Post by rooms222 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:37 pm

The other phone I would suggest is an Apple SE. It has the innards of an Iphone 7, but is smaller. It is $199 at MetroPCS and $159 at Cricket (subbrands of Tmobile and ATT respectively). If you port your number to MetroPCS, you get two free months of service, so they are roughly comparable in price.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:51 pm

iPhone 4s running ios7.1. Cheap used. Very available. Doesn't have the Apple "slow your phone down" features. Under $100. Mine's 6 years old.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

hectorochoa

Post by hectorochoa » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:07 pm

A Google Voice number would be a good fit for your situation. Gives you a second phone number without needing another phone.

md&pharmacist

Post by md&pharmacist » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:27 pm

TresBelle65 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:05 pm

Thanks
I just did the same exact thing for business use. I got a Samsung J7 Sky Pro thru TracPhone with a 1 year 1500 minute plan. Total cost for everything was $250 less 30% (had a coupon code). That's a phone with a whole year of service! Phone is great, Service is great.

My primary phone is an iPhone as well. Takes a little bit of getting used to android phone and apps, but definitely do-able.

md&pharmacist

Post by md&pharmacist » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:27 pm

TracFone

Topic Author
TresBelle65

Post by TresBelle65 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:25 am

Thank you for the suggestions and advice.

I will also look into Google Voice. Out of curiosity, how does the second phone line distinguish itself with voice use and text use on the same screen?

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:27 am

The Google voice app can be used as an all in one dialer, text messaging, and voice mail retrieval. My work phone is an iPhone. I use the native iOS apps for business. I use the Google voice app for personal.

If I dial out with Google voice and people sees my personal number. If I dial out with the Apple phone app, they see my work number. Incoming calls are simple as Google voice is forwarded to the cell phone number. Face time is little more complicated as I have to default to use an email address to dial out so people don't see a strange number. You have the opposite setup so you'll be fine. As long as you conduct all your business communications inside the Google voice app, no one will know you only have one phone with two phone numbers.