Do you use Yahoo? New Privacy Terms

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
chabil

Do you use Yahoo? New Privacy Terms

Post by chabil » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:00 pm

I don't know if all this is inevitable but they don't want pieces of us anymore. They want ALL of us.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/14/1723 ... s-scan-ads

Another link:
https://www.cnet.com/news/yahoo-aol-oat ... -messages/

I have not clicked on anything yet, but I don't know if I have a choice. Yahoo has been my email from my first lap top.
Last edited by chabil on Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Woodshark

Re: Do you use Yahoo? New Privacy Terms

Post by Woodshark » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:03 pm

I've gotten the the alert also. Seems the new company wants carte blanch to use information in our email,etc., and an agreement not to sue them.

chabil

Post by chabil » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:05 pm

Woodshark wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:03 pm
I've gotten the the alert also. Seems the new company wants carte blanch to use information in our email,etc., and an agreement not to sue them.
Including email from Financial institutions. Who needs to know where I bank and hold my assets?

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:40 pm

I only use Yahoo! Finance to track a portfolio of ETF tickers that I watch. I don't really use the email address or any of their other services.

I looked at deleting my Yahoo! account this evening, but at the bottom of the terms they show you when you attempt to delete your account, they say that they may release the email address for a future user. I have had the same username on most forums and email services for at least 30 years, dating back to the beginning of college. I may have even used it on a Fidonet BBS prior to that. I don't want a prime email address with my standard username suddenly becoming available, especially one that I previously owned.

I have not accepted the new terms yet. If they lock my account as of May 28 until I agree to the terms, that may serve my purposes just fine.

wanderer

Post by wanderer » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:10 pm

What alternatives do folks suggest?

It's my understanding that Google had been doing this for years.

Not sure of MS or Apple, but Apple Maps knows our driving habits so it suggests routes without even asking where we are going.

I'm willing to pay a reasonable subscription fee, but are these small companies viable, long term?

SittingOnTheFence

Post by SittingOnTheFence » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:02 pm

Thanks for posting the links to commentary on this policy. I was intending to look into this and you made it very easy for me.

I'm in nearly the same situation as jhfenton. I have 2 email accts for various forums I am registered at and 1 much older acct relating to yahoo groups which I almost never venture to anymore. But I do use the Finance to track my portfolio. I thought about switching to Google Finance but OP indicates they may be just as bad. All I really need is a .csv of my portfolio. It's getting harder to find.

Be interested in various opinions.

anoop

Post by anoop » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:10 am

I have an account with https://protonmail.ch but I primarily still use gmail. Some day I may get away.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:23 am

chabil wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:00 pm
I don't know if all this is inevitable but they don't want pieces of us anymore. They want ALL of us.

Another link:

I have not clicked on anything yet, but I don't know if I have a choice. Yahoo has been my email from my first lap top.
what if you never click 'accept', what happens?

login, don't click accept, then open a new/different page/tab at yahoo.com and click on mail icon to bypass it?

only read the email thru a phone app where you don't have to see and click on that to 'accept'?

You could become one of them people changing email addresses every year....one friend I have, has like 6 email addresses, I have no clue which one to use anymore. Everytime I go to email all 6 of them pop up as mailing options.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:18 am

anoop wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:10 am
I have an account with https://protonmail.ch but I primarily still use gmail. Some day I may get away.
I've had a ProtonMail account for a while, but I haven't really used it. I just upgraded to a $5/month paid account to test out the more advanced features. If I like it, it's $48/year paid annually. I may switch my important email to ProtonMail and leave my junk going to gmail. I've been wanting to get away from gmail for a while. Gmail used to do the email scanning thing too. They said that they stopped, but I don't trust Alphabet. I use very few Alphabet services. But for better or worse, I've been using gmail since February 1, 2005 (according to the oldest of my 102,xxx archived emails). It's going to take time to move important things away from it.

anoop

Post by anoop » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:42 am

F150HD wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:23 am
chabil wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:00 pm

Another link:

what if you never click 'accept', what happens?

login, don't click accept, then open a new/different page/tab at yahoo.com and click on mail icon to bypass it?

only read the email thru a phone app where you don't have to see and click on that to 'accept'?

You could become one of them people changing email addresses every year....one friend I have, has like 6 email addresses, I have no clue which one to use anymore. Everytime I go to email all 6 of them pop up as mailing options.
Pretty easy for me to switch email providers. I use an alias which is forwarded to what my current email provider is. Originally, it pointed to my university email address, then to hotmail, then to yahoo, and now to gmail. Any time I switch providers, I lose the ability to take my archive, but other than that it's a simple switch. Many universities and professional associations provide such an email alias.

anoop

Post by anoop » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:48 am

jhfenton wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:18 am
anoop wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:10 am
I've had a ProtonMail account for a while, but I haven't really used it. I just upgraded to a $5/month paid account to test out the more advanced features. If I like it, it's $48/year paid annually. I may switch my important email to ProtonMail and leave my junk going to gmail. I've been wanting to get away from gmail for a while. Gmail used to do the email scanning thing too. They said that they stopped, but I don't trust Alphabet. I use very few Alphabet services. But for better or worse, I've been using gmail since February 1, 2005 (according to the oldest of my 102,xxx archived emails). It's going to take time to move important things away from it.
I used to be a big archiver of email (a digital hoarder!), but not so much anymore. I try to delete things unless absolutely essential. I've had gmail since around the same time and my consumption is < 1 GB. Currently, I find the email is hardly used for personal communication. It is mostly ads/marketing (which I tend to unsubscribe from even from companies that I still do business with), shopping confirmations, alerts and notifications from various services, etc. All of these things are deleted immediately because they are available in trash for 30 days and I have never found I needed them beyond that period. The only except is shopping receipts for an expensive product that has a warranty, e.g. a computer. Almost all my personal communication has moved to texting with little archiving.

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:59 am

One for the first things I did after getting on the internet back in the 90s was to register a domain name. I then made my email myname@mydomainname.com. I’ve used this ever since. At first I had a website and I dealt with my emails through my web host provider. But eventually I got rid of the website and I just use a forwarder to whatever email I have now (Apple currently). All my registrations on websites such as vanguard are myname@mydomainname.com. If I were to change from Apple to gmail as my email provider, I wouldn’t have to do a thing other than log onto my domain registrar and change the forwarding email. So if you change emails, consider this approach. No matter which email provider you choose, it may not serve you a few years down the road (they change terms, go defunct, etc).

gotester2000

Post by gotester2000 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:47 pm

I have minimized my digital footprint. I dont store any personal data anywhere on the internet/cloud - I delete any email that has personal data. It doesnt bother me to change providers or if I get locked out - loose coupling. Maybe a few places I have given the email address - just change it when I change the provider.

Duckie

Post by Duckie » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:48 pm

Did anyone try clicking on the "Review and accept now" button? When I clicked on it, it sent me to a login page and when I re-logged in it sent me to the main Yahoo page. There was no way to review or accept.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:51 pm

Duckie wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:48 pm
Did anyone try clicking on the "Review and accept now" button? When I clicked on it, it sent me to a login page and when I re-logged in it sent me to the main Yahoo page. There was no way to review or accept.
No. I just keep clicking "I'll do this later." It's a battle of wills.
Woodshark wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:03 pm
Seems the new company wants ... an agreement not to sue them.
I figure this is largely academic, and is aimed at class-action lawsuit hucksters - who get $50 million, while we get 50 cents.

chabil

Post by chabil » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:02 pm

anoop wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:42 am
Pretty easy for me to switch email providers. I use an alias which is forwarded to what my current email provider is. Originally, it pointed to my university email address, then to hotmail, then to yahoo, and now to gmail. Any time I switch providers, I lose the ability to take my archive, but other than that it's a simple switch. Many universities and professional associations provide such an email alias.
anoop,
I am not sure I understand how this is done. what is an alias in email? Do you think you explain this for email-dummies like me? :happy
Everyone:
Is it worthwhile to even switch now? Are their new terms any more nasty than others to whom I might switch?

lws6772

Post by lws6772 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:11 pm

Deleted Yahoo 5 years ago after their 2013 breach. :annoyed
Rule 1. Never lose money. Rule 2. Never forget Rule 1.

anoop

Post by anoop » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:24 pm

chabil wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:02 pm
anoop wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:42 am
anoop,
I am not sure I understand how this is done. what is an alias in email? Do you think you explain this for email-dummies like me? :happy
Everyone:
Is it worthwhile to even switch now? Are their new terms any more nasty than others to whom I might switch?
There are some organizations that provide what is called an email alias. Let's say you have someone called Bob that studied at Stanford. Stanford provides a free email alias to its alumni. Bob registers for the address bob@stanfordalumni.org. Stanford doesn't actually store the email it receives for that address--it will forward it to another actual email service like yahoo or gmail. In the absence of knowing where to forward the email, it would discard it.

Let's say Bob signed up for yahoo as bob123@yahoo.com. He would go to a website provided by Stanford and request that bob@stanfordalumni.org be forwarded to bob123@yahoo.com. So the only address Bob gives out to his friends is bob@stanfordalumni.org, but he logs into yahoo to check his email.

Now let's say Bob decides he wants to switch to gmail and signs up as bob123@gmail.com. Now all he has to do it go and change the mapping at Stanford to forward emails for bob@stanfordalumni.org to bob123@gmail.com instead of bob123@yahoo.com.

At that point, all emails sent to bob@stanfordalumni.org start going to his gmail account.

(These are all hypothetical examples. I don't know if stanfordalumni.org is a forwarding service or an actual full-service email account.)

Most universities provide such an address.

Now let's say Bob doesn't like his university and doesn't want to be reminded of it. He can instead, as mentioned by someone else above, register a domain name, e.g. bobsdomain.com. He can then set things up so that email sent to bob@bobsdomain.com will go to either his yahoo or gmail account. I have never registered a domain name so I can't speak for exactly what is involved there. Suffice to say, there is cost involved in registering a domain name.

In some cases, the alias can be forwarded to multiple addresses.

Is it worth switching now? If you're switching to another free service, probably not. Unless you want to do it for reasons of usability. If switching to a paid service, you can decide if it's worth it. Like I said, even though I signed up for protonmail, I still use gmail because I find the interface more convenient and all of my archives (whatever little I have) are there.

anoop

Post by anoop » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:30 pm

lws6772 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:11 pm
Deleted Yahoo 5 years ago after their 2013 breach. :annoyed
I thought about that. My concern was that someone else could then sign up using my old username and some random folks might end up impersonating me. A year or so ago, I logged in to Yahoo after a really long time. I discovered someone had created a facebook page using my name and the yahoo address. Even though they hadn't been able to compromise my Yahoo account, somehow facebook had made their page active and they even had some posts on it. It took some back and forth with facebook to get them to delete the page. Another reason why I completely distrust facebook. For a company that had so much data on people and pretends they hire the smartest people, their infrastructure was like swiss cheese -- full of holes.

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:35 pm

anoop wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:24 pm

Now let's say Bob doesn't like his university and doesn't want to be reminded of it. He can instead, as mentioned by someone else above, register a domain name, e.g. bobsdomain.com. He can then set things up so that email sent to bob@bobsdomain.com will go to either his yahoo or gmail account. I have never registered a domain name so I can't speak for exactly what is involved there. Suffice to say, there is cost involved in registering a domain name.

In some cases, the alias can be forwarded to multiple addresses.
This is very simple to do. Registering a domain may cost you ~$20 per year depending on type of domain and registrar. Any registrar I’ve ever used has had an option to forward email with many options.

Elena

Post by Elena » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:19 pm

As many of you, I used Google and Yahoo Finance to track my portfolio.
When Google Finance portfolio was discontinued, I deleted all my information and have been using Yahoo. Last week I received the new terms. I deleted all my information and closed the acct. entirely, email and all.
I will now just log into the custodians and keep using my spreadsheet. I do not like looking every single day, anyway.
I decided having my information in the open is no longer worth it.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:54 pm

anoop wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:30 pm
I thought about that. My concern was that someone else could then sign up using my old username and some random folks might end up impersonating me.
+1 That's what stopped me from deleting my Yahoo account last night. I'll just leave the email account dormant, and use the portfolio page as long as they'll let me without accepting their new terms. If they stick to their promise, the account will be in limbo after the May deadline: unusable until I accept the terms, but also not deleted, and therefore not usable by anyone else.

I have a harvard.edu alumni forwarding address that I use all over the place. At the moment, that goes to gmail, but I can change that any time I want. I've used it all over the place though, for accounts. I haven't decided whether I'll eventually redirect it.

I also today registered a new .org domain and set up mail service through Protonmail. (The paid service allows for management of one domain.) The domain cost me $11.69 for a year through namecheap.com, including whois anonymity. Protonmail had good instructions for adding DNS entries to get the email service set up. Namecheap also has email forwarding, but I set it up so that Protonmail servers are handling everything. I created myname@mydomain.org and wifename@mydomain.org emails on Protonmail.

I'm going to slowly move financial accounts over to the myname and wifename email addresses first. I'll eventually more other important accounts over. And I'm slowly going to delete old unnecessary emails from gmail. I will probably leave most commercial stuff going to my gmail account. That should keep most of the spam out of my Protonmail account. gmail search is also really good. It is useful to be able to track down the seven-year-old order confirmation for some product to see where I bought it.

This isn't really because of Yahoo! But this discussion did get me to finally do something I've been meaning to do for a while.

Socal77

Post by Socal77 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:04 pm

For mail I use gmail, I'm not sure if they do the same thing. I like yahoo for the finance section and commentary. But there's way too much shady advertising on the front news page.

chabil

Post by chabil » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:12 pm

anoop, thank you.
I am going to wait and see what happens after the dead line, and not click on the link or accept
anything. I have been suspicious of yahoo for some time now because the address bar was not always secure.
I also notice I use yahoo mail for mundane things. Only financial stuff I do is receive confirmation from Vanguard but there is nothing in it. I don’t track my investments, just check on Vanguard site.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:21 pm

Socal77 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:04 pm
For mail I use gmail, I'm not sure if they do the same thing. I like yahoo for the finance section and commentary. But there's way too much shady advertising on the front news page.
Gmail -> Google. Yeah, no privacy issues there!

DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:04 am

Duckie wrote:
This is what happened to me--I figured I'd have the opportunity to review something before actually agreeing to something. What happened is exactly as you described. Does that mean we accidentally accepted it already?

gotester2000

Post by gotester2000 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:26 am

DiggleRex wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:04 am
Duckie wrote:
This is what happened to me--I figured I'd have the opportunity to review something before actually agreeing to something. What happened is exactly as you described. Does that mean we accidentally accepted it already?
I was logging in through yahoomail->oath->yahoomail for few days. Now they have put up a terms page -> accept and log in and end of story for now.

gotester2000

Post by gotester2000 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:34 am

anoop,

You are not tied to yahoo or any email service provider but you are tied to the university service which may change terms tomorrow. Same thing for registering domain and paying for it. Nothing is truly free and you should always think that whatever data you store will get compromised.

The best way is to minimize your personal data just like minimizing your belongings will free your life.

gotester2000

Post by gotester2000 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:40 am

SrGrumpy wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:21 pm
Socal77 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:04 pm
Gmail -> Google. Yeah, no privacy issues there!
:) Had to create an id just for getting into play store. Data sharing is enabled by default in many gadgets and services which you have to painfully find and disable.

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:45 am

gotester2000 wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:34 am
anoop,

You are not tied to yahoo or any email service provider but you are tied to the university service which may change terms tomorrow. Same thing for registering domain and paying for it. Nothing is truly free and you should always think that whatever data you store will get compromised.

The best way is to minimize your personal data just like minimizing your belongings will free your life.
Registration of a domain name is not in any way the same as having an email at a university. In return for a small yearly charge, you own the name and can move it to another registrar whenever you like. You do provide contact info when you register the domain and are responsible for keeping it up to date—the same way you do when you sign up for auto insurance or anything else in life (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICANN). Other than that, the registrar doesn’t have access to any special information about you as far as I know—unless you choose to run your website or email services through them.

Honestly, in an age of Facebook, google and amazon, it amazes me that people worry about little pieces of information at some random company. Imagine a typical heavy duty google user. He/she will:

- Use gmail as the primary email
- Use google drive for storage of docs and pics
- Search using google’s engine
- Surf the web using chrome
- Use google docs to create spreadsheets and other docs full of financial and other very personal information
- Whatever on an android phone
- Add an echo in the home for good measure

Now imagine a company with google’s resources collecting, scanning, analyzing, mining and monetizing all of this information. Still worried about what your university is doing with your emails?

If you really think about it, you will realize that amazon, google, and Facebook are in a race to control the world. The only hope we have is that our information gets dispersed enough among them (and other companies) to keep any single one from succeeding. It doesn’t take much imagination (and people much smarter than me have thus opined) that all of this collection of data + AI developments could well result in the end of the human race as we know it.

As for minimalism, I’m down with that.

gotester2000

Post by gotester2000 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:57 am

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:45 am
gotester2000 wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:34 am
anoop,

Registration of a domain name is not in any way the same as having an email at a university. In return for a small yearly charge, you own the name and can move it to another registrar whenever you like. You do provide contact info when you register the domain and are responsible for keeping it up to date—the same way you do when you sign up for auto insurance or anything else in life (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICANN). Other than that, the registrar doesn’t have access to any special information about you as far as I know—unless you choose to run your website or email services through them.

Honestly, in an age of Facebook, google and amazon, it amazes me that people worry about little pieces of information at some random company. Imagine a typical heavy duty google user. He/she will:

- Use gmail as the primary email
- Use google drive for storage of docs and pics
- Search using google’s engine
- Surf the web using chrome
- Use google docs to create spreadsheets and other docs full of financial and other very personal information
- Whatever on an android phone
- Add an echo in the home for good measure

Now imagine a company with google’s resources collecting, scanning, analyzing, mining and monetizing all of this information. Still worried about what your university is doing with your emails?

If you really think about it, you will realize that amazon, google, and Facebook are in a race to control the world. The only hope we have is that our information gets dispersed enough among them (and other companies) to keep any single one from succeeding. It doesn’t take much imagination (and people much smarter than me have thus opined) that all of this collection of data + AI developments could well result in the end of the human race as we know it.

As for minimalism, I’m down with that.
I would go for a domain registration if I have a business need - not for the sake of email only.

As for the big companies - they hook you to the product/service by making you see it as a need. Change is the nature of the world and humanity - in one way or the other - so do whatever you can do to live a fruitful life.

Duckie

Post by Duckie » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:58 pm

DiggleRex wrote:This is what happened to me--I figured I'd have the opportunity to review something before actually agreeing to something. What happened is exactly as you described. Does that mean we accidentally accepted it already?
No. The email had a glitch. The next time I logged in I got a big pop-up notification with an "Accept" button. Since I had already read all the stuff (the links were in the email) and I needed to keep this account because I belong to some Yahoo Groups I just clicked the button. That time it worked.

DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:23 am

Duckie wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:58 pm
No. The email had a glitch. The next time I logged in I got a big pop-up notification with an "Accept" button. Since I had already read all the stuff (the links were in the email) and I needed to keep this account because I belong to some Yahoo Groups I just clicked the button. That time it worked.
I just logged in again and no pop up or anything. All I have is an email from April 18th (subject: "Important update to our Terms of Service & Privacy") with the link that doesn't work.