care.com -- any reviews / experience?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
rjbraun

care.com -- any reviews / experience?

Post by rjbraun » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:14 pm

Wondering if anyone has experience using care.com to find a caregiver. Based on a fairly quick internet search, many of the negative reviews seem to stem from complaints about the company's auto-renewal policy. I could see how this is a nuisance, though the company's justification is that it avoids users losing saved data. Whether that is valid is less of an issue to me, I would be more concerned if the company seems to intentionally block one's ability to cancel (hassle factor, unethical company standards). There also seem to be a bunch of negative reviews that might be classified as "missed connections" (no-show workers, maybe employers who don't follow through after contacting a candidate). The model would clearly seem to put the onus on the hiring individual to properly vet potential hires, so I guess I am okay enough if this is one of the downsides to the site. By the same token, my understanding is that the caregiver would receive the full payment from the employer, so I guess it's also the job candidate's responsibility to assess the responsibility of the employer, not care.com's. The caregiver reviews on indeed.com seem positive overall, which would seem to indicate that the actual caregiver, importantly, is satisfied.

So, my questions would be for anyone who has used care.com:

Was it easy to cancel the subscription once you decided you no longer wanted to continue with the service?

What was your overall experience with the site? Did it help you to source strong candidates, did you eventually hire someone you were satisfied with?
-- If so, was it better to find candidates by posting your opening or by just going through the online leads and reviewing them?

Any other sites you would recommend to source a caregiver (for someone elderly)?

https://www.care.com/

Note: We have explored using an agency but are considering hiring directly for a few reasons, including that the worker nets only about half of the payment, after the agency takes its share, which would seem to lead to higher turnover, as the caregiver looks to improve a relatively modest income.

Thanks in advance for any input.

ResearchMed

Re: care.com -- any reviews / experience?

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:30 pm

rjbraun wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:14 pm
Wondering if anyone has experience using care.com to find a caregiver. Based on a fairly quick internet search, many of the negative reviews seem to stem from complaints about the company's auto-renewal policy. I could see how this is a nuisance, though the company's justification is that it avoids users losing saved data. Whether that is valid is less of an issue to me, I would be more concerned if the company seems to intentionally block one's ability to cancel (hassle factor, unethical company standards). There also seem to be a bunch of negative reviews that might be classified as "missed connections" (no-show workers, maybe employers who don't follow through after contacting a candidate). The model would clearly seem to put the onus on the hiring individual to properly vet potential hires, so I guess I am okay enough if this is one of the downsides to the site. By the same token, my understanding is that the caregiver would receive the full payment from the employer, so I guess it's also the job candidate's responsibility to assess the responsibility of the employer, not care.com's. The caregiver reviews on indeed.com seem positive overall, which would seem to indicate that the actual caregiver, importantly, is satisfied.

Was it easy to cancel the subscription once you decided you no longer wanted to continue with the service?

What was your overall experience with the site? Did it help you to source strong candidates, did you eventually hire someone you were satisfied with?
-- If so, was it better to find candidates by posting your opening or by just going through the online leads and reviewing them?

Any other sites you would recommend to source a caregiver (for someone elderly)?

Note: We have explored using an agency but are considering hiring directly for a few reasons, including that the worker nets only about half of the payment, after the agency takes its share, which would seem to lead to higher turnover, as the caregiver looks to improve a relatively modest income.

No experience with care.com - and never heard of it before.

What type of care are you looking for?

We needed to get assistance for very elderly MIL to help with transition from inpatient after a fall, to rehab and then back to assisted living.
We got initial help from the hospital social worker/etc., staff, and then also from the rehab facility.
They all used agencies.

One big factor about an agency is whether you MUST have the care, or if a caregiver can't make it, is that okay?
An agency is far more likely to be able to "cover" if the regularly scheduled caregiver can't make it (although there are never absolute guarantees).
It's not clear what type of model care.com is. Are these just individuals working on their own? No backup plan?
And who supervises/checks the level of training or background checks?

For most types of "care", we'd rather go through an agency with both their vetting and their backup.
If it's very long term, there are often arrangements to pay a fee to start using the caregiver privately, but that still leaves some potential problems.

BTW, some caregivers prefer to work through an agency. It gives them more flexibility. They can take time off when needed (vacation, sick, just taking some "time off"), knowing there would be someone arranged.

The agencies we've used were very easy to work with, including changing schedules, and also requesting certain caregivers who worked out particularly well (including personality).

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

sperry8

Post by sperry8 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:34 pm

rjbraun wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:14 pm

I have been able to cancel quite easily after joining. I did it online, no phone call or hard sell required.

I have hired a caregiver for my father (eldercare) and house cleaning personnel. All were excellent. I highly recommend Care.com.

However, understand you get out of it what you put into it. Once I "posted" my job... I never got responses of qualified people. The way I found the good ones was to sift through the onsite resumes and then reach out to the ones I liked. At least 1/2 didn't respond... maybe more. But they had a lot of people in the cities I was looking into so the responses I got were enough. So it is my advice to do your legwork to ensure you find the best people.
Humbling BH contest results: 2017: #516 of 647 | 2016: #121 of 610 | 2015: #18 of 552 | 2014: #225 of 503 | 2013: #383 of 433 | 2012: #366 of 410 | 2011: #113 of 369 | 2010: #53 of 282

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:49 pm

We used it for hiring a cleaning lady. We actually like her a lot. We used their service to do the background check as well.

It was easy to cancel once we had hired.

Keep in mind, you have to interview and screen the candidates yourself. But the review and rating system can be a good indicator.

Afty

Post by Afty » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:21 pm

We hired three nannies through Care.come. I can't answer your question about auto-renewal because the company I work for pays for access to Care.com as a perk.

I have mixed feelings on the overall experience.

- 2 of the 3 nannies were excellent. 1 was terrible and we had to let her go.
- Many people replying to our posting were clearly spamming responses -- they didn't meet a requirement stated in the job posting, they asked questions we answered in the posting, etc. We had to do a lot of work to vet candidates before even interviewing any of them.

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:33 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:30 pm

We needed to get assistance for very elderly MIL to help with transition from inpatient after a fall, to rehab and then back to assisted living.
We got initial help from the hospital social worker/etc., staff, and then also from the rehab facility.
They all used agencies.
We're looking for personal care assistance for an elderly parent (bathing, shaving, etc.) Yes, we've used agencies a bit, probably under circumstances as you described (returning from hospital, social worker visits, etc.). My parents weren't so satisfied with the agency. Not exactly sure why, but I suspect that it was a combination of "fit" and perhaps the somewhat bureaucratic nature of things.

My parents, while elderly and frail, are in remarkably good health, especially my mother. So, she is still of the mindset of doing things "her way". I was present for one of the visits by a social worker and must admit that I could appreciate why my parents might not be inclined to continue with her (or someone similar). Without going into too much detail, my recollection was that she was rather disorganized (was late, appeared to be tired, came across as low energy, had trouble getting her laptop to work, etc.). I understand that people have complicated situations, etc., but especially for people (my parents) who don't think they need a social worker to begin with it didn't help matters.
ResearchMed wrote:
One big factor about an agency is whether you MUST have the care, or if a caregiver can't make it, is that okay?
An agency is far more likely to be able to "cover" if the regularly scheduled caregiver can't make it (although there are never absolute guarantees).
At this point, the care isn't required at a certain time or for a given day. There's a decent amount of flexibility, but of course we would want someone reliable (okay if they need to reschedule if there's advance notice). Of course, as time goes on the situation may change, but for now we have flexibility.
ResearchMed wrote:
It's not clear what type of model care.com is. Are these just individuals working on their own? No backup plan?
I'm still trying to understand care.com's business model, but my guess is that the site basically introduce "buyers" and "sellers". A caregiver might prefer to select the type of individuals / families they care for or perhaps they have a particular niche (enjoy reading or trying to engage in more active activities with the client?) that an agency may not cater to. Not sure, as mentioned I'm still getting up the curve, but I could see how maybe someone might not fit into an agency's "boxes" and would also like a more personal experience. For sure, I think the caregiver makes more money by cutting out the agency.

Yes, I think the people work on their own (though I think agencies may actually use the site to source candidates, not sure). I'm not a caregiver, but my impression is that if you are one and can have a long-term relationship with families, that may be preferable to going the agency route, which seems to take half of the wages.

I think care.com may do some vetting of candidates (or more accurately, may make the results of automated searches available through the site), but ultimately if we were to use the site we would certainly plan to supplement whatever they do with our own independent due diligence. Some (but certainly not all) of the candidates I saw on care.com seemed to have various certifications, which we would seek to verify on our own.
ResearchMed wrote:
For most types of "care", we'd rather go through an agency with both their vetting and their backup.
If it's very long term, there are often arrangements to pay a fee to start using the caregiver privately, but that still leaves some potential problems.

BTW, some caregivers prefer to work through an agency. It gives them more flexibility. They can take time off when needed (vacation, sick, just taking some "time off"), knowing there would be someone arranged.

The agencies we've used were very easy to work with, including changing schedules, and also requesting certain caregivers who worked out particularly well (including personality).

RM
I hear you, and that was also more my inclination, initially. But, based on my parents' preferences they, seemingly, don't seem so keen on the agency route (though they might not quite express it that way). Also, a sibling who is a health professional, an MD (unlike me) has been pretty involved in trying to figure things out and also sees drawbacks to the agency route. On top of the things already mentioned, she has an in-law in an assisted living(?) facility so kind of sees firsthand some of the challenges that model presents (I know, it's not an agency, per se, but it's more of a bureaucracy / organizational structure, which would seem to be what most agencies are).

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:42 pm

sperry8 wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:34 pm
I have been able to cancel quite easily after joining. I did it online, no phone call or hard sell required.

I have hired a caregiver for my father (eldercare) and house cleaning personnel. All were excellent. I highly recommend Care.com.

However, understand you get out of it what you put into it. Once I "posted" my job... I never got responses of qualified people. The way I found the good ones was to sift through the onsite resumes and then reach out to the ones I liked. At least 1/2 didn't respond... maybe more. But they had a lot of people in the cities I was looking into so the responses I got were enough. So it is my advice to do your legwork to ensure you find the best people.
Thank you, that's really helpful to know that you didn't have problems cancelling. In reading the online reviews again, the inability for people to cancel sounded just awful. Also, it seems that in your experience posting a job wasn't effective and you sifted through candidates on your own instead.

Yes, we would totally plan to do the legwork. As I see it, care.com just provides a way to get access to potentially viable candidates. Beyond that, the onus would pretty much be on us. If we spend 1-3 months in subscription fees (which I would guess would come to $100 or so), that would be fine as long as there are legitimate candidates (i.e., not bogus listings for people who don't really exist). I understand that we might not find anyone we like or that someone we would like to hire won't be available, but at this point we are probably prepared to give it a try (given limited other options).

Thanks again!

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:46 pm

Theseus wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:49 pm
We used it for hiring a cleaning lady. We actually like her a lot. We used their service to do the background check as well.

Keep in mind, you have to interview and screen the candidates yourself. But the review and rating system can be a good indicator.
Thank you, that's helpful feedback.

So, basically you pay the monthly fee while you are conducting your search and once you feel you have found someone you like, you just cancel. Did the cleaning lady keep 100% of what you paid -- do you pay her directly? I think the site offers a service where they will cut the checks and take out the appropriate taxes. I guess that's optional and you pay for that service separately ...?

Did you encounter any "hidden fees", such as to contact or meet with a candidate? Did you have to pay care.com to run the background checks?

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:48 pm

rjbraun wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:33 pm
ResearchMed wrote:

They all used agencies.
We're looking for personal care assistance for an elderly parent (bathing, shaving, etc.) Yes, we've used agencies a bit, probably under circumstances as you described (returning from hospital, social worker visits, etc.). My parents weren't so satisfied with the agency. Not exactly sure why, but I suspect that it was a combination of "fit" and perhaps the somewhat bureaucratic nature of things.

My parents, while elderly and frail, are in remarkably good health, especially my mother. So, she is still of the mindset of doing things "her way". I was present for one of the visits by a social worker and must admit that I could appreciate why my parents might not be inclined to continue with her (or someone similar). Without going into too much detail, my recollection was that she was rather disorganized (was late, appeared to be tired, came across as low energy, had trouble getting her laptop to work, etc.). I understand that people have complicated situations, etc., but especially for people (my parents) who don't think they need a social worker to begin with it didn't help matters.
ResearchMed wrote:
At this point, the care isn't required at a certain time or for a given day. There's a decent amount of flexibility, but of course we would want someone reliable (okay if they need to reschedule if there's advance notice). Of course, as time goes on the situation may change, but for now we have flexibility.
ResearchMed wrote:
I'm still trying to understand care.com's business model, but my guess is that the site basically introduce "buyers" and "sellers". A caregiver might prefer to select the type of individuals / families they care for or perhaps they have a particular niche (enjoy reading or trying to engage in more active activities with the client?) that an agency may not cater to. Not sure, as mentioned I'm still getting up the curve, but I could see how maybe someone might not fit into an agency's "boxes" and would also like a more personal experience. For sure, I think the caregiver makes more money by cutting out the agency.

Yes, I think the people work on their own (though I think agencies may actually use the site to source candidates, not sure). I'm not a caregiver, but my impression is that if you are one and can have a long-term relationship with families, that may be preferable to going the agency route, which seems to take half of the wages.

I think care.com may do some vetting of candidates (or more accurately, may make the results of automated searches available through the site), but ultimately if we were to use the site we would certainly plan to supplement whatever they do with our own independent due diligence. Some (but certainly not all) of the candidates I saw on care.com seemed to have various certifications, which we would seek to verify on our own.
ResearchMed wrote:

RM
I hear you, and that was also more my inclination, initially. But, based on my parents' preferences they, seemingly, don't seem so keen on the agency route (though they might not quite express it that way). Also, a sibling who is a health professional, an MD (unlike me) has been pretty involved in trying to figure things out and also sees drawbacks to the agency route. On top of the things already mentioned, she has an in-law in an assisted living(?) facility so kind of sees firsthand some of the challenges that model presents (I know, it's not an agency, per se, but it's more of a bureaucracy / organizational structure, which would seem to be what most agencies are).
It's hard to read between the lines (or see between the lines?) of your family's situation, but are there other agencies to try before ruling them out entirely? This might depend upon size of the town/metropolitan area, of course.
Ditto with the assisted living facility (ALF) situation.

We actually moved MIL from one ALF after about a year, and the new one is a MUCH better fit.
It's also considerably more expensive, and we doubt she would have been willing even to consider it at first. Moving her near us was difficult enough. Although she is very elderly, she was also "the driver" for her friends' visits to their own physicians. [I certainly hope that DH has lots of her genes! :happy ] And one reason for the new ALF was the presence of more and better bridge players! But she had gotten dehydrated a few times, landing in hospital, and that was so hard to manage from afar. When one of her best friends fell, badly, and passed less than two weeks later, that was when she decided.

Any of these services require a LOT of advance planning/vetting (except in true emergency situations) and then also ongoing oversight.

Interestingly, we've been so pleased with her ALF, that we'll probably go there ourselves, probably starting with Independent Living, but this is not going to be "soon" unless there is some unfortunate/unexpected health problem.
[I also have just about zero interest in "being there" while MIL is there, even though the campus is quite large. Tricky...]

Care for your parents is so important. It's probably worthwhile taking some extra time to check out a variety of services/agencies before there is an "every day must be there" situation.
And "personalities" can be very tricky indeed!

Good luck!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:53 pm

Afty wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:21 pm
We hired three nannies through Care.come. I can't answer your question about auto-renewal because the company I work for pays for access to Care.com as a perk.

I have mixed feelings on the overall experience.

- 2 of the 3 nannies were excellent. 1 was terrible and we had to let her go.
- Many people replying to our posting were clearly spamming responses -- they didn't meet a requirement stated in the job posting, they asked questions we answered in the posting, etc. We had to do a lot of work to vet candidates before even interviewing any of them.
Thank you, I guess you went the job posting route and had to sift through a lot of spam to find your eventual hires. In that case, sounds as if we probably don't want to do our own job posting. Good to know as I thought a posting might be the way to go (given our specific requirements, etc.)

While I realize that you had a mixed experience overall, I would think care.com probably doesn't charge an employer so much to offer the benefit to their employees (though I have no idea), but it seems like a nice enough perk for the employee. Put another way, I wish my employer offered the perk (and it could send a message that they "care" about their staff :wink: )

shorty313

Post by shorty313 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:14 pm

I have used it to hire after school sitter the past few years. I have had no problem canceling any of those times. My candidates have been hit or miss. Like someone said upthread some didn’t bother to read my posting. I did phone interviews first to weed out the duds. I found 2-3 very excellent sitters. I did some reaching out, but if I’m remembering correctly the hires I made were from people applying to my posting.

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:36 pm

rjbraun wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:46 pm
Theseus wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:49 pm

Thank you, that's helpful feedback.

So, basically you pay the monthly fee while you are conducting your search and once you feel you have found someone you like, you just cancel. Did the cleaning lady keep 100% of what you paid -- do you pay her directly? I think the site offers a service where they will cut the checks and take out the appropriate taxes. I guess that's optional and you pay for that service separately ...?

Did you encounter any "hidden fees", such as to contact or meet with a candidate? Did you have to pay care.com to run the background checks?
We paid for 3 month access. Which auto renews if you don’t cancel. I had put a reminder on my calendar to cancel it after 2.5 months. But we had a lady in the first two weeks. There were no hidden fees after cancellation. We had to pay for the background check to care.com. It was around $50. We pay her directly , but you may not want the headache of tax withholding and filings. In that case let care.com handle it.

warner25

Post by warner25 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:19 pm

We used Care.com a few years ago to find a babysitter and our experience was positive. We might have gotten free access for being a military family, but I think we paid for a month and had no trouble canceling after finding someone. The most striking thing was the sheer number of applicants we got for being in a low-density, kind of rural area at the time. That allowed us to be picky, and the person we chose was great. After our first meeting we agreed to move future communication and payments off the Care.com platform to save money. I would guess that most people do the same, and I feel like Care.com still receives fair compensation for the service it offers while helping people to initially connect. Lots of nice features on there, though. We'll use it again in a couple months to find a new babysitter.

sperry8

Post by sperry8 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:39 am

rjbraun wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:42 pm
sperry8 wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:34 pm

Thank you, that's really helpful to know that you didn't have problems cancelling. In reading the online reviews again, the inability for people to cancel sounded just awful. Also, it seems that in your experience posting a job wasn't effective and you sifted through candidates on your own instead.

Yes, we would totally plan to do the legwork. As I see it, care.com just provides a way to get access to potentially viable candidates. Beyond that, the onus would pretty much be on us. If we spend 1-3 months in subscription fees (which I would guess would come to $100 or so), that would be fine as long as there are legitimate candidates (i.e., not bogus listings for people who don't really exist). I understand that we might not find anyone we like or that someone we would like to hire won't be available, but at this point we are probably prepared to give it a try (given limited other options).

Thanks again!
Yes, you have summarized what I did and how I used care.com.

That's exactly how I felt about care.com, not much downside. It took me only a 1 mo sub each time to find someone. Perhaps your search will take longer, but it can be a quick process if you focus on it. In any event finding the proper eldercare person for your family is worth a $100 investment imo.
Humbling BH contest results: 2017: #516 of 647 | 2016: #121 of 610 | 2015: #18 of 552 | 2014: #225 of 503 | 2013: #383 of 433 | 2012: #366 of 410 | 2011: #113 of 369 | 2010: #53 of 282

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:39 am

Thank you all for taking the time to provide helpful feedback. My sister and I decided to proceed with a subscription. She did the actual registration, but my understanding is that one can opt for unlimited background checks for $19.99 per month. Seemed totally worth it, so that's what we did. That said, we will still try to supplement that with other reference checks that we could potentially conduct on our own, such as through references the candidate would provide.

I will plan to report back after we have used the service for a while. For now, my sister did comment that there seem to be far more caregivers profiled for childcare than for eldercare. I suppose that's not so surprising. Also, the situation will obviously vary based on geographic location. Even so, she seems to have found some attractive candidates and has been able to establish contact with some of her "top picks" and set up phone interviews, after which we would seek to meet the stronger ones in person. So, so far so good.