2018 Honda Fit EX

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Exafchick

2018 Honda Fit EX

Post by Exafchick » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:00 pm

Hello, All! I am anticipating replacing my 2000 Honda Accord EX in the next couple of years (probably when it hits 20 years old or 200k miles). I am interested in the 2018 Honda Fit EX, manual transmission. It seems to have all the safety tech as well as satellite radio and Android auto. Even if I bought new, I'd be able to pay cash since it's less than $20k but should be a little cheaper if I buy a used one in a couple of years. I've read lots of great reviews but wanted to get perspective from actual owners.

Are you happy with the performance on long trips? I'm hoping to sell my house and move across the country in a couple of years.

Is it really as roomy as they say?

Any problems that make you regret your decision?

What is/are the best thing(s) about it?

Thank you!

jehovasfitness

Re: 2018 Honda Fit EX

Post by jehovasfitness » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:16 pm

We had a 2007 and now a 2012 Fit Sports... they're fantastic.

35-37mpg highway, though on usual commute the wife gets 29-30mpg lots of traffic.

Tons of room and the seat folding options give a lot of ways to store cargo/dogs for us.

Our first one went to about 105k when we traded it in and our current one has 70k.

It's an auto, and sport model, other than that, the size of it getting in and out of tight parking lots etc is great too.

We will keep upgrading with the Fit as long as they make them.

WorkToLive

Post by WorkToLive » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:37 pm

We bought a new 2009 Honda Fit sport and have been extremely satisfied. We have 109k on it and you would never know it wasn't just driven off the lot.

head gamez

Post by head gamez » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:43 pm

I own a 2008 (bought new) that has just shy of 300k miles. It has been a very reliable car. Ive adjusted the valves a few times, replaced coil packs, replaced brake pads / rotors, etc. It is roomy and works well when we have taken it on vacation.

The only real complaint I have with it is the road noise. It is not quiet inside, regardless of tire choice. I would assume that this has been improved in the newer models.

Topic Author
Exafchick

Post by Exafchick » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:47 pm

head gamez wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:43 pm

The only real complaint I have with it is the road noise. It is not quiet inside, regardless of tire choice. I would assume that this has been improved in the newer models.
I did read one review that said the 2018 model did have less road noise. How bad is it? like is it hard to have a conversation or hear the radio?

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:54 pm

Saw one on a lot yesterday. Dealer had added all of the typical junk such as paint protection, dent protection (New one to me), well mat, etc. that added up to $3,000+ for items probably costing the dealer $200. Hopefully, this is not a national trend.

Tim

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:08 pm

Nowizard wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:54 pm
Saw one on a lot yesterday. Dealer had added all of the typical junk such as paint protection, dent protection (New one to me), well mat, etc. that added up to $3,000+ for items probably costing the dealer $200. Hopefully, this is not a national trend.

Tim
We were very much considering one. I really like the car, but you definitely pay for the Honda reputation. We were unable to find one locally for <$20k OTD, which was ~$5k more than comparable vehicles; some of which we actually preferred after test-driving. We ended up with a jetta, which has way more power, way less road noise, gets better gas mileage (we average low-mid 50's on the highway), we felt was more comfortable, and although not a hatch, has a massive trunk which provide plenty of cargo space for us. I am concerned about the negative reliability reputation with VW, but the fact that we saved ~$7k over a comparably featured fit definitely decreased those concerns.

dugb

Post by dugb » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:23 pm

Make sure it doesn't have the 1.5 turbo earth dreams engine. Plagued with oil dilution problems.

getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:26 pm

I had a 2009 Honda Fit (sport) that, given a very short commute, mostly across the country on road trips. It's a little loud on the highway, but it drove well and the gas mileage on the highway was a dream. I could get over 40mpg on it. We hauled so much in the back of that car, including a washing machine. It looked brand new, like a little purple micromachine. It held a carseat easily although it would have been tight with two.

In 2015 another car ran a stop sign and smashed into the driver's side door. The Fit was totaled, but I walked away, at five months pregnant, with no injuries. Honda bought a customer for life that day.

Topic Author
Exafchick

Post by Exafchick » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:53 pm

I bought my current honda new and have been extremely happy with it. I am not a gear head so some of the reviews that fault it for not being speedy or zippy enough are not deal breakers for me. I like the HR-V but again I really want a manual transmission (been driving one for over 30 years!) and satellite radio (especially handy when driving across country!). I also am a fan of the ease of parking. I do wish it were a little more stylish on the outside (I love the look of the civic hatchback!) but the Boglehead in me says I can get more features standard on the Fit EX so paying more because it "looks pretty" is not practical.

Of course, in 2020 there may be different options on different vehicles. I really do prefer Hondas mostly because it's all I really know but since I keep up with regular required maintenance, I have had no major problems.

jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:54 pm

FWIW in 2015 we bought a 2012 w/16k miles for about 16.5k

William4u

Post by William4u » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:11 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:08 pm
We were very much considering one. I really like the car, but you definitely pay for the Honda reputation. We were unable to find one locally for <$20k OTD, which was ~$5k more than comparable vehicles
20k OTD, good gracious! We bought a 2017 Prius for 22.3k OTD (fighting chance method), which is a much quieter car IMHO. Of course, when I called dealers and asked for a price they quoted $25k and then say they only have the 28k cars in stock.

researcher

Post by researcher » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:20 pm

Exafchick wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:00 pm
Hello, All! I am anticipating replacing my 2000 Honda Accord EX in the next couple of years (probably when it hits 20 years old or 200k miles).
I'm curious why you are asking this question now if you don't plan to buy for 2 years.

Soliciting opinions now on a NEW 2018 model vehicle doesn't seem all that useful if you plan to purchased a USED vehicle in 2020.
I'd think you would get much more actionable, accurate, relevant info if you waited a few years before gathering information.

Who knows what other vehicles and technologies will be available 2 years from now.
Or potential problems people may be experiencing with their used Fits in 2020.

xenochrony

Post by xenochrony » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:22 pm

In 2017, I bought a 2013 Honda Fit LX manual transmission for 10.9K (32K miles on it) and LOVE it! Drives very well (sporty), 38 mpg average city/highway and true to its name, it can FIT a lot of stuff inside it, also feels roomy. A year later, I do not regret my purchase.

ianferrel

Post by ianferrel » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:57 pm

We have a 2015 Fit, and it's great in the ways that people have said. We can pack more stuff in it than in several larger cars, and get ~38mpg.

I agree that road noise is bad.
With a rear-facing child seat in the backseat, the front seat in front of it is cramped. I'm 5'10", and I just fit comfortably. Anyone with longer legs than me would likely be uncomfortable.
The infotainment system kinda sucks. I mean, they all kinda suck, on all cars. But I used a rental Ford recently and it was considerably less sucky. It should not require pressing a specific area of the screen six times to switch from one bluetooth input to another.

harvestbook

Post by harvestbook » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:50 pm

I bought a new Fit in 2012 for around $16k. I liked it so much I gave it to my daughter when she reached driving age and bought another new one in 2016. I'm still getting more than 46 mpg with an automatic. it was around $18K. We like the flexibility of the space. I plan to keep this one for its entire life, which is the only way I can justify buying a new car. Before that I drove old rusty Subarus.
I'm not smart enough to know, and I can't afford to guess.

jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:00 pm

harvestbook wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:50 pm
I bought a new Fit in 2012 for around $16k. I liked it so much I gave it to my daughter when she reached driving age and bought another new one in 2016. I'm still getting more than 46 mpg with an automatic. it was around $18K. We like the flexibility of the space. I plan to keep this one for its entire life, which is the only way I can justify buying a new car. Before that I drove old rusty Subarus.
46? Either your calcs are wrong or your car's panel is wrong. No way you're getting 46 even all highway

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:50 pm

I had a 2010 Fit that worked well as a commuter car but I am retired now and recently bought a 2018 Corolla which I consider an upgrade from the 2010, but I am not sure how it would compare to a 2018 Fit.

A couple of comments;

1) The size and layout is as amazing as you have heard and works better than any car I have had.

2) The one I had was made in Japan and while it was under warranty I only took it in the shop for a warranty repair which was that the carpet had come untucked. Other than that I think about the only non-routine thing I had done was some brake work.

3) A few years after I got mine the production was moved to Mexico for a while and they had some quality problems. I am not sure where it is made now and how the quality ranks but you have to take what people say about great reliability with a grain of salt since it will be different for different model years.

4) I once took it on a 2,000 mile three week road trip and it did fine but the ride is noisy and rough and tiring for a trip that long. I am retired now and plan on doing more road trips which is one of the reasons I sold the Fit. I just took a short road trip in the Corolla and it was much better.

5) One problem I did have was that I was once in a rural area and got a nail in the sidewall of my tire near a small town. It was not fixable since it was in the sidewall and the tire size was odd and small so the first two tire stores could not get a tire in for about two days. The third and last tire store in that town happened to have one tire that was the right size, which totally surprised the store manager since they don't stock that size. Anyway my 2010 had a temporary spare so I could have made it the 50 miles to the nearest big city but some newer cars don't even have that.

Topic Author
Exafchick

Post by Exafchick » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:48 am

researcher wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:20 pm
Exafchick wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:00 pm
Hello, All! I am anticipating replacing my 2000 Honda Accord EX in the next couple of years (probably when it hits 20 years old or 200k miles).
I'm curious why you are asking this question now if you don't plan to buy for 2 years.

Soliciting opinions now on a NEW 2018 model vehicle doesn't seem all that useful if you plan to purchased a USED vehicle in 2020.
I'd think you would get much more actionable, accurate, relevant info if you waited a few years before gathering information.

Who knows what other vehicles and technologies will be available 2 years from now.
Or potential problems people may be experiencing with their used Fits in 2020.
My thinking is that I know that the 2018 Honda Fit EX checks all my boxes so even if I buy a used one in 2 years, I'd still like to know how happy people are with their choice, even if it is from an earlier year. As you wrote, who knows what will be available in 2 years so I am also keeping my options open. It just seems like manual transmissions are getting more scarce and I definitely want one. In a couple of years hopefully I'll also get some insight from people who bought the 2018 model. Thanks for your perspective!

researcher

Post by researcher » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:20 am

Exafchick wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:48 am
My thinking is that I know that the 2018 Honda Fit EX checks all my boxes so even if I buy a used one in 2 years, I'd still like to know how happy people are with their choice, even if it is from an earlier year.
The Fit you plan to purchase had a complete revision in 2014.
All of the feedback you've received, except for one, have been based on older platforms/generations.

Also, the Fit is likely to get a full redesign around the time you plan to purchase.

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:29 am

I drive a 2009 Fit base overall very satisfied.
Pros:
Gas efficient
very reliable
affordable
drives pretty peppy
good ergonomics

Cons
A/C is crap. Spent 1k replacing POS compressor.
Dents easily, paint delicate, internal plastic parts cheap and break.
Many complaints about the uncomfortable chairs on various Honda models there was another thread here on this I don't think it was a fit though
Transmissions can be touchy. Do drain and fill changes more often than the 50k miles the manual suggests and only use Honda DW-1 fluid
Honda proprietary parts wipers, fluids, ATF, Honda brake fluid really?
Small underpowered and overpriced battery 151R. Some people hack the batter compartment area and install a 51R.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:58 am

I drove a FIT when all the local dealers had yellow ones on the roadside in front of their stores with big "$13,999" stickers on the side.

It drove very much like the 75 Civic CVCC I used to own (which was yellow, too).
Shifter is very rubbery. If you want to compare, drive a Civic Si or a CR-Z. Both have far, far better shifters that feel substantial and precise. The FIT (and non-Si Civic for that matter) are like a rubber shift lever pushing around jello.
Space use inside is amazing.
Handling is more geared to low cost than fun. Again, drive a Civic Si or CR-Z to get a better feel.

I guess what should have been first, compared to an Accord, well the Accord is like driving an S class Mercedes while the FIT is like driving any econo class rental in a Caribbean island.

Consider used. Unlike Civics, FIT prices actually drop like a rock used. A 5 year old one can be found easily for $9k and I see some within 50 miles of me for under $7k.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:20 am

As a current owner and previous owner of a couple Fits, I have nothing bad to say about the car.

It does what is supposed to do for a great price IMHO. No, it's not a sport car but it drives like a go cart.

Things to be aware of: small gas tank, on the lower end models the only interior color is black and with the back seats folded down the cargo space is huge.

:sharebeer

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:45 am

I have 2010 Fit Sport, 5 speed manual transmission. I love it! Don’t know what differences there might be between my older fit and a 2018 though. Complaints I’ve heard from people who don’t like their fits are noisy ride, paint not being durable. My response: it’s an economy car. I test drove all many competitors before I bought and at the time, it wasn’t even close.

Topic Author
Exafchick

Post by Exafchick » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:32 pm

My logic for asking now about a car I may buy in a couple of years is to find out the problems that hopefully will be addressed by then. I have heard and read from several places about the loud inside noise when driving on a highway. Also the uncomfortable seats on long trips. Since I probably will buy it before I head across the country, these are definitely areas I hope are addressed before I buy.

Thanks and keep them coming!

emoore

Post by emoore » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:47 pm

Wish they would come back with the Fit EV. Seems like a perfect car to compete with the Bolt.

jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:48 pm

I've never thought of it as a noisy ride.

then again, I drive a Jeep and sports cars

jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:48 pm

emoore wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:47 pm
Wish they would come back with the Fit EV. Seems like a perfect car to compete with the Bolt.
agreed. hoping they will in a few more years once we need a new one

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:04 pm

Exafchick wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:32 pm
My logic for asking now about a car I may buy in a couple of years is to find out the problems that hopefully will be addressed by then. I have heard and read from several places about the loud inside noise when driving on a highway. Also the uncomfortable seats on long trips. Since I probably will buy it before I head across the country, these are definitely areas I hope are addressed before I buy.

Thanks and keep them coming!
Seats are a very personal preference. I think the Fit seats are great. It’s not especially quiet but not especially noisy either. Others disagree. Hondas are built for economy / gas mileage. They are not known for especially quiet cabins. The Fit has been around a long time as the Jazz abroad and now over 10 years in the US. The Fit is Honda’s least expensive model, IIRC, so it’s unlikely that these “issues” will be addressed.

If these issues bother you now, they will probably bother you in a a couple years. When you’re ready to buy, test drive the cars you’re interested in, compare, and decide. What’s important is whether you like the car—not what anyone else thinks.

Voltron

Post by Voltron » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:54 am

Honda Fit Sport 2010 owner
93,000 miles
Never had brakes changed.

Cons
Noisy interior high speeds. My biggest gripe.
5 speed manual transmission seems to be missing a gear. I believe they corrected this in the next generation with a 6th gear?
Under powered. Manual adequate but can’t imagine with automatic.
Brittle paint on hood. Everywhere else fine.
AC is under powered. Hot days it may struggle to cool down hot car with black interior.
Low profile tires in my opinion are prone to damage or flats with regards to potholes.
Dim interior lighting
Underpowered battery. Aftermarket battery much more robust.

nura

Post by nura » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:18 am

We have 2016 Fit EX-L (same as 2018); current generation is quite different from past two.

Pluses:
+ Fantastic packaging, small on the outside, as roomy as some mid-size crossovers in the inside in terms of front and rear leg room.
+ Three seats fold nearly flat, can carry a six feet ladder/christmas tree inside with all 5-doors closed
+ Easy to parallel park, only 160" long
+ Low 40s mpg on the highways, low 30s in city
+ Side camera useful for merging and and kerb-side parking
+ Adequate power, good handling
+ Comfortable seats
Minuses:
- Bouncy ride on bad pavement
- Not very stable over 75mph on highways, get blown in the wind due to 2500lbs weight
- Loud under heavy foot

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:30 am

It's up to you if you want a hatchback or not. I bought a 2016 Honda Civic LX manual when it came out and I love the car. It was just under $20,000 out the door new. No problems cruising 80 mph on the highway, very roomy. Doesn't have android auto or apple play but the 2018 models might (or you an upgrade to the EX and I'm sure it'll have it). It gets 43mpg on the open road highway, closer to 30mpg when driving around town. The new civic hatchback would probably put you in the $22k area OTD, but I think it is a much more desirable car.

The only downside of the Fit (and Civic) is it has a very tiny gas tank. You'll be filling up a lot more. If you wait until the light goes on and you fill up you are only putting 9 or so gallons in the car.

Topic Author
Exafchick

Post by Exafchick » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:56 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:30 am
It's up to you if you want a hatchback or not. I bought a 2016 Honda Civic LX manual when it came out and I love the car. It was just under $20,000 out the door new. No problems cruising 80 mph on the highway, very roomy. Doesn't have android auto or apple play but the 2018 models might (or you an upgrade to the EX and I'm sure it'll have it). It gets 43mpg on the open road highway, closer to 30mpg when driving around town. The new civic hatchback would probably put you in the $22k area OTD, but I think it is a much more desirable car.

The only downside of the Fit (and Civic) is it has a very tiny gas tank. You'll be filling up a lot more. If you wait until the light goes on and you fill up you are only putting 9 or so gallons in the car.
I have looked at the Civic, especially the hatchback but the model that has satellite radio doesn't have a manual transmission and vice versa.

The smaller gas tank shouldn't be a problem since it gets such good gas mileage. Probably would have to fill up about as much as with my current accord which has about a 13 gallon tank.

Really hoping that in a couple of years there will be a civic hatchback option with a manual transmission and satellite radio. I've driven the sedan for 18 years and now want something a little sportier!

nura

Post by nura » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:28 pm

I have driven Fit and Civic Hatchback back to back, CHB is far better vehicle for a little more.