Perks of Owning Certain Individual Stocks

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
cinghiale

Perks of Owning Certain Individual Stocks

Post by cinghiale » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:00 am

Hello, All.

Recently I booked a 21 day cruise with Norwegian Cruise Lines. A few years ago we booked a shorter cruise, and somewhere in the process we were encouraged to buy 100 shares of Norwegian Cruise Lines Holdings (ticker: NCLH). That minimum share holding entitled us to $100.00 of shipboard credit. This time around, with a cruise of over 15 days, we will receive $250.00 of shipboard credit. Now, we paid just around $5000.00 for the 100 shares. The stock has been up into the low 60s, and has then softened back into the mid-50s. Doing the math, the upcoming shipboard credit provides an instant 5% dividend on the purchase price of the 100 shares. And $250.00 will nicely cover our wine budget while on board.

I’m rather impressed with that.

And that got me thinking. Are there any other good deals out there that come with stock ownership of the company? I do not want to load up on individual stocks, but might there be other companies out there with compellingly good product or service perks? Thoughts?
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell

Nestegg_User

Re: Perks of Owning Certain Individual Stocks

Post by Nestegg_User » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:07 am

One share of Berkshire Hathaway used to give you discounts on GEICO, as they are owned by BH

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:18 am

If you own Ford stock, you receive X plan pricing. No haggle. Can you do better negociating? Yes, I have. But for no stress buying, this can help
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:27 am

If you own ANY stock you get invited to their annual meetings. I'm guessing that they serve cookies?

You also get to ask questions

https://condenaststore.com/featured/thi ... rachi.html

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:29 am

Nestegg_User wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:07 am
One share of Berkshire Hathaway used to give you discounts on GEICO, as they are owned by BH
Some people have reported that when they try to apply that, they are informed that they've used all possible discounts already.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Mr.Dad178

Post by Mr.Dad178 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:50 am

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:29 am
Nestegg_User wrote:
Some people have reported that when they try to apply that, they are informed that they've used all possible discounts already.
I've been a GEICO customer for years. Last fall, I bought 1 share of BRK.B and asked for the stockholder's discount. They gave me 7% off my policy, no questions asked.

So, I'm both incredibly shrewd AND I've been overpaying for car insurance for years... :|

IMHO, the best "perk" of stock ownership is price appreciation.
"It is not certain that everything is uncertain."

CABob

Post by CABob » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:06 pm

At one time I was told that shareholders of Wrigley received some chewing gum every year.
Bob

alpine_boglehead

Post by alpine_boglehead » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:26 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:27 am
If you own ANY stock you get invited to their annual meetings. I'm guessing that they serve cookies?

You also get to ask questions

https://condenaststore.com/featured/thi ... rachi.html
I haven't been to shareholder meetings myself, but a colleague recently told me that the one he attended featured an enormous buffet.

By holding index funds, we are giving up several buffets a day by not investing in all those stocks ourselves :D

grayfox

Post by grayfox » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:31 pm

I went to my first shareholders meeting when I was about 13 or 14. I didn't own any shares, but my friend did and I went with him.
The company was a real-estate developer/builder. They built skyscrapers, etc.
When we got there, there was only a half dozen executives in a conference room and they were surprised to see teenagers.
The let us sit in on the meeting. Then the secretary gave us lunch, cokes, cookies. It was great fun.

Then one company I worked for held their shareholders meeting in town every year.
Guess what they had? Huge buffet. All you can eat shrimp.
It was a huge shindig every year. The whole company attended.

An entertainment company I had shares in held the shareholders meeting scheduled not far from where I lived.
I went to the meeting and the only people there were a few executives. They weren't expecting anyone!
The boss gave me a clock with the company logo right off his desk! "Here, have a clock!"

I also have a fancy leather portfolio case from a Mortgage Lender that I got at an annual shareholders meeting.

If you owned enough stocks, you could eat once a week for free just by attending all the shareholder meetings.
Last edited by grayfox on Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

denovo

Post by denovo » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:32 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:18 am
If you own Ford stock, you receive X plan pricing. No haggle. Can you do better negociating? Yes, I have. But for no stress buying, this can help
x plan pricing sucks
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

tech_arch

Post by tech_arch » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:25 pm

Many cruise lines have similar benefits if you own at 100 shares (or at least they did.) We used to own some stock just for that specific reason.

anil686

Post by anil686 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:53 pm

I think Ben Stein in his latest book (where he recommends an investor pretty much only buy the SP500) talks about his first time buying an individual stock in LA in the mid 1970s. It was a real estate/fitness club stock and he said when he went to the shareholder meeting - it was only the family who ran the business there. They were surprised to see him but then treated him like family. Found the story pretty funny...

fposte

Post by fposte » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:55 pm

It's been posted here that if you have Berkshire Hathaway stock you get access to the discounted trade show that runs during the same period as the shareholders' meeting. Probably a great perk if you live in NE.

Tech

Post by Tech » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:07 pm

Nestegg_User wrote:
:sharebeer :sharebeer
I got $20 off by just calling Geico a minute ago.

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:38 pm

Back when I worked I used to get a discount on my suits from Jos. A. Bank because I owned their stock. I have long since become an index fund BH and JOSB was acquired by Men's Wearhouse so I don't know if that still works.
Friar1610

fizxman

Post by fizxman » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:59 pm

A friend worked the Hershey's shareholders meeting doing A/V. He came home with lots of Hershey products because there was so much leftover when the shareholders left. It included stuff for foreign markets that you couldn't get here which was pretty neat.

2cents2

Post by 2cents2 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:43 pm

CABob wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:06 pm
At one time I was told that shareholders of Wrigley received some chewing gum every year.
That is true-they sent out a carton (several packs of gum) in December. A lot of times they would send out new flavors, but sometimes it was a good old classic.
The company was acquired by Mars, so my shares were bought out. :(

2cents2

Post by 2cents2 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:48 pm

Disney gave out canvas bags and pins at the last shareholder meeting....

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:52 pm

I found out about this a few months ago and got $20 off my already low rate @ Geico.

boomergeneration

Post by boomergeneration » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:58 pm

Starbucks gives out a bag of coffee beans at their annual meeting. They used to give a goodie bag with a Starbucks mug, a pound of coffee and some other treats but this year they downsized.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:22 pm

cinghiale wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:00 am
A few years ago we booked a shorter cruise, and somewhere in the process we were encouraged to buy 100 shares of Norwegian Cruise Lines Holdings (ticker: NCLH).
One thing to offer perks for shareholders, but if they're actually enticing cruise passengers to buy their stock with beverage credits, that seems like a cheap trick by management to increase their own compensation, which is almost certainly tied to stock price.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:49 pm

boomergeneration wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:58 pm
Starbucks gives out a bag of coffee beans at their annual meeting. They used to give a goodie bag with a Starbucks mug, a pound of coffee and some other treats but this year they downsized.
This year maybe free sensitivy training for all.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

El Greco

Post by El Greco » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:56 pm

Colgate Palmolive gives out tons of swag at their shareholders meeting. They'll keep you in toothpaste, shampoo and body wash for a year.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:03 pm

Now how to find shareholder meetings in my city (Portland, OR)?

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:42 pm

Nate79 wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:03 pm
Now how to find shareholder meetings in my city (Portland, OR)?
Some newspapers and local TV stations have a "local stocks" feature. See where the shareholder's meeting is for those companies.

msi

Post by msi » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:39 am

Royal Caribbean gives onboard credit (varies based on length of cruise) for owning 100 shares.

cinghiale

Post by cinghiale » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:26 am

02nz wrote,
One thing to offer perks for shareholders, but if they're actually enticing cruise passengers to buy their stock with beverage credits, that seems like a cheap trick by management to increase their own compensation, which is almost certainly tied to stock price.
Apologies here. In the interests of telling a concise story, I wrote, “A few years ago we booked a shorter cruise, and somewhere in the process we were encouraged to buy 100 shares of Norwegian Cruise Lines Holdings.” Please note that the Norwegian Cruise Line agents never mentioned stock ownership or the perk offered to shareholders. If memory serves, I found about about the shipboard credit offer on the cruisecritic.com website. The language of the original post conflates making the reservations with discovering the perk.
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell

OriginalJHH

Post by OriginalJHH » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:33 pm

I’m in the legal department of a mid cap publicly traded company. The only people at our annual meeting are the GC and the CEO.

Takes less than 30 minutes. No cookies, but if you came, I’m not sure anyone would know what to do.

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:33 pm

I’m doing the cruise thing, but only holding the stock for about 6 weeks (buying a month before departure). That’s because we normally cruise a different line but are cruising with friends on their favorite line.

$250 onboard credit. 3.9% immediate return, but that’s an annualized 33.8% :wink:
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius