car at 80

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ssquared87

Re: car at 80

Post by ssquared87 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:25 am

LadyIJ wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:28 pm
ssquared87 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:04 pm
LadyIJ wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:14 pm
Although I haven't had a chance yet t read this article, we are only considering Japanese luxury, so that pretty much leaves us to Acura, Lexus or Infiniti!
Why only Japanese? Reliability of some german brands are higher than the brands you mentioned. Check Consumer Reports latest reliability rankings. Acura has fallen quite a bit probably due to the CVT transmissions and convoluted infotainment systems.

Audi and BMW are above average while Infiniti is average and at the same level as Buick. Acura is way below average

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-rel ... -stack-up/
Cost of repairs on Japanese and American cars are less expensive and our mechanic can handle.
I have found the cost of repairs for my BMWs has been about the same as my Honda’s and Acura’s at the dealership.

Doing the repairs myself is easier on the BMWs because the engine is mounted longitudinally and easier to work on. They also have a simpler design (I.e. no balance shafts because inline 6 cylinders engines have primary and secondary forces that cancel each other out meaning they are the smoothest engines you can get other than a v12). even though they’re more mechanically advanced.

The difference on the BMW is that they need more frequent maintenance. If you don’t keep on top of the maintenance you’ll have issues. And parts need to be replaced sooner because imperfections are more noticeable. Parts are mostly the same price.

My dad is currently driving my 2010 TSX. He paid $279 at Acura to have th rear brake pads replaced . For the same service at BMW, it was $239. Instead of having BMW do it, I bought their brake kit from the dealer for $125 and installed it myself in my driveway in 45 minutes. I could have probably done it in 25 min but I was drinking a beer and relaxing.

Acura charges $59.95 for an oil change and it needs an oil change 1x per year or 5k miles whichever comes first. BMW charges $79.95 for an oil change and it needs to happen roughly every 10k miles. BMW also includes maintenance for the first 4 years, so basically the first 4-5 oil changes don't come out of pocket.

On the Hondas and Toyota’s, suspension parts can go 150k miles before you notice they need replacing. BMW and Audi have better handling so you start noticing degradation of ride quality and handling at about 100k miles. It’s not that the parts wear faster, it’s just that the wear is more noticeable because everything is tuned more finely tuned.

Mechanic is another story. Having a good one you trust is important.
Last edited by ssquared87 on Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:33 am

First I want to congratulate your husband for marrying a younger woman. It is paying off.

At 80 years old I believe your husband deserves to buy the car he wants and enjoys. So, yes go get the car you think is best for the both of you.

Enjoy.

LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:12 pm

indexonlyplease wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:33 am
First I want to congratulate your husband for marrying a younger woman. It is paying off.

At 80 years old I believe your husband deserves to buy the car he wants and enjoys. So, yes go get the car you think is best for the both of you.

Enjoy.
OMIGOSH - such a good answer - he does deserve it - today he just spent MORE money on the 20 year old Pathfinder - sigh.
I'm going to have to drag him to the dealer when the "right one" comes along. Thanks!

Austintatious

Post by Austintatious » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:13 pm

@ssquared87

"The BRZ is one of the best cars I've ever driven and I drive many amazing cars. It's let down by its terrible engine, but the chasis is spectacular.

It also performs extremely well in the snow with winter tires because it has a mechanical limited slip differential along with stability control. "

What are your complaints re the engine?

rralex1

Post by rralex1 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:24 pm

For what it's worth my father drove until he was 96. He did it effectively. At 91 he had his first accident ever. I hope my track record ends up being as good. Shortly after that, an uncle "selected" a car for him and drove it to the house sharing that it was such a great car he would buy it back if dad didn't feel it was so. It was a newer model car much in demand. It also had many options.

When I spoke with dad in private I asked him how comfortable he felt with the car. The bottom line became clear that he thought it was great, but was struggling with understanding all the "new features and accouterments". It was unfamiliar to him. Things netted out to him not taking the car (which was a bit awkward), and having me help him buy the same kind of car he had prior to his one accident. It was a nice non dressed out but fully equipped Honda Accord. He drove for another 5 years no kidding, with no accidents and shut her down when he was encouraged to do so. He lived til 102.

My take away was that it wasn't about the features, coolness, or "quality" of the car. It wasn't about the "best car with features". It was all about what was the safest car in terms of quality and repetitive use/memory that was most important. At dad's age he didn't need to learn a lot more about how to use a car to get from point A to point B. It was about getting a car that would serve him.

One person's story. All the best.

badbreath

Post by badbreath » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:32 pm

My Dad at 89 years old mostly uses Uber and Lift.
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:28 pm

Chronological age isn't necessarily a good predictor of how well (safely) a person can drive. Some people should never drive because they are too easily distracted. Or are prone to text while driving. Some have vision problems that aren't corrected well. Some can't hear when an emergency vehicle is coming near.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:51 pm

mouses wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:51 pm
MathWizard wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:57 pm
We just bought a Buick, all of ours turn the light off automatically,
and all have traction control which is really helpful when getting going on
hard snow or ice.

Many of the models we test drove had features like
lane departure warning
adaptive cruise

These can be quite helpful, though we did not buy a car with these.
We bought a less expensive version, with the intent that our next car will have
much more automated driving features (lane keeping and adaptive cruise at least,
though I'd love to punch in an address into my GPS and have the car drive me there.
Car and Chauffeur in one, it just doesn't open the door for me.)
Which Buick do you have?
2015 Buick Lacrosse .

Bought it last summer with under 10K miles.
It also has remote start / remote lock through an app on our iPhones.

My wife loves it. I'm still driving my 2002 Buick LeSabre Limited with over 100K miles.

We gave our youngest my wife's 2001 Buick Century Limited.
All 3 Buicks have automatic lights and traction control.

My wife and I have OnStar installed, but not activated. It came with the car.

CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:20 pm

jabberwockOG wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:33 am
I suggest you get a new Subaru sedan or SUV. All Subaru models have four wheel drive, even the sedans, and they all have a lot of latest safety features. If I was forced to live in a snow belt climate, there is no way I'd spend winter driving any thing but a four wheel drive vehicle.
+1

I have an Outback with the eyesight system. It is just like having a copilot that never gets distracted.

Car in front stops -- Suby stops for me. Someone pulls out in front going real slow -- Suby slows down. I noticed both things and would have stopped in time, but the car did it for me.

Today I was out looking at a piece of rural real estate and was trying to turn around in a narrow dirt driveway. Backing up and there is a low stump I can't see due to brush. Suddenly there is a grinding noise and the car has detected the obstacle and put on the brakes.

No it isn't a luxury car, but the benefits of the safety features are enormous. And, it is the best snow car I have ever had.

LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:53 am

rralex1 wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:24 pm
For what it's worth my father drove until he was 96. He did it effectively. At 91 he had his first accident ever. I hope my track record ends up being as good. Shortly after that, an uncle "selected" a car for him and drove it to the house sharing that it was such a great car he would buy it back if dad didn't feel it was so. It was a newer model car much in demand. It also had many options.

When I spoke with dad in private I asked him how comfortable he felt with the car. The bottom line became clear that he thought it was great, but was struggling with understanding all the "new features and accouterments". It was unfamiliar to him. Things netted out to him not taking the car (which was a bit awkward), and having me help him buy the same kind of car he had prior to his one accident. It was a nice non dressed out but fully equipped Honda Accord. He drove for another 5 years no kidding, with no accidents and shut her down when he was encouraged to do so. He lived til 102.

My take away was that it wasn't about the features, coolness, or "quality" of the car. It wasn't about the "best car with features". It was all about what was the safest car in terms of quality and repetitive use/memory that was most important. At dad's age he didn't need to learn a lot more about how to use a car to get from point A to point B. It was about getting a car that would serve him.

One person's story. All the best.
Thanks - excellent points on the new "accouterments". They can distract.