car at 80

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
LadyIJ

car at 80

Post by LadyIJ » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:25 am

My husband will be 80 this year. He is pretty sharp, but does seem to forget turning his lights off about 3 - 4 times a year. In his defense, he is driving a '98 Pathfinder - hence, no warning that lights are on, and I know at 64 - that warning has saved me more than a couple of times.

I posted awhile ago that I had bought a CPO Acura - wasn't sure I loved it, well now I do, but it had not done well in the snow (we live in the Midwest). I was told it was "torgue" and also lighter weight than my previous Accord - I bought a new set of All Season Michelins, but haven't had the weather to test them. When I had a heavier car (Accord) it was great in the snow, but again, don't want to trade in the Acura - love it, don't like the new Accords, nor the new Acura TLX, and would lose money - it's great on gas as well. The Pathfinder has 150K on it - it's bleeding us with something or other every year. But in the Midwest it is good to have an SUV OR a heavier car that does okay in weather.

So here's my thinking. DH doesn't need another SUV, and they are harder to get in and out of. We buy a CPO Lexus ES350 or better - he has blind spot monitor, warning signals, side air bags, and if something, heaven forbid happens where he cannot drive, we have our reliable, heavier, comfortable car. I also was considering a smaller SUV like the Acura RDX, but that, like my current Acura requires (or it is suggested) gas. I value the Boglehead responses - is my thinking right here that husband should have a new car, and one that will serve me better if something happens down the line where he cannot drive? if there is a "right"? Thanks for reading and for your thoughts. I just retired last year, and it makes it a tad bit harder to go out and spend (emotionally!)

jabberwockOG

Re: car at 80

Post by jabberwockOG » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:33 am

I suggest you get a new Subaru sedan or SUV. All Subaru models have four wheel drive, even the sedans, and they all have a lot of latest safety features. If I was forced to live in a snow belt climate, there is no way I'd spend winter driving any thing but a four wheel drive vehicle.

midareff

Post by midareff » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:40 am

Cars can get sooo personal but I am totally for things like blind spot assist, 360 degree cameras, auto on and off lights, pedestrian warning, collision avoidance warnings with or without auto braking and such. Ordered all of them (and more) with the new 2018 I picked up a month ago. I have become a fan of a big NAV screen with spoken directions and a HUD (heads up display) too. There is no such as too safe.

PinotGris

Post by PinotGris » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:42 am

I have a Lexus ES 300 10 years and 90k miles. We live be in the Boston area and it is fine. But we also don't drive very much in bad weather.
Glad you posted. We are also 80 and 67. He is finally willing to trade his for a new car and we plan to get another Lexus, a new ES 350. I am also doing it for all the safety features and navigation ease. In fact it is I who most often forget to close the door or leave the lights on. This may well be our last car purchase so we will splurge.

jm1495

Post by jm1495 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:00 am

jabberwockOG wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:33 am
I suggest you get a new Subaru sedan or SUV. All Subaru models have four wheel drive, even the sedans, and they all have a lot of latest safety features. If I was forced to live in a snow belt climate, there is no way I'd spend winter driving any thing but a four wheel drive vehicle.
I don't know if this is specific to subarus but mine turns the lights off when I remove they key.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:02 am

The ES 350 is a good car. Also test drive a CPO RX 350.

It might be easier to stay "up" in the SUV as compared to dropping down into a sedan. Try them both. Both are very nice cars. The sedan will ride better. The RX 350 will give you AWD in weather conditions.

My 75 year old dad doesn't like riding in my LS 430. He thinks it is too low. I like sedans for comfort. He wants to be up higher.

With "Auto" headlights and other features, the car does all the work. You rarely have to turn the switch. Only if you want to force the headlights on when the auto-headlights don't turn on.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

GAAP

Post by GAAP » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:18 am

jabberwockOG wrote:
Agree with Subaru, we're on our second after 350K miles on the first. One minor correction -- the BRZ is RWD (shocked me to hear it at the dealership), everything else is AWD.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:37 am

As to your snow issues, I am still convinced that the tires are more important than the car.

As to a new vehicle, go with all the safety features. Your thoughts on the sedan are fine. But I think you might be surprised to find that many of the new small to midsize SUV’s will give a ride almost as comfortable as the SUV. Also, many older people find that class of vehicles easier than a sedan to get into and out of and prefer the slightly higher seating and view. It is also easier for many to load items in and out of the rear hatch than lifting out of a sedan’s trunk. You can not compare a 1998 Nissan Pathfinder with today’s crossovers, be it a Hyundai Tucson, Ford Escape or a Mercedes GLA. I am not trying to promote a SUV over the sedan. But I would try a couple of each before you decide. The larger SUV’s like the Ford Explorer and Acura MDX, would have some of the negatives that you associate with the Pathfinder.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:41 am

GAAP wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:18 am
Agree with Subaru, we're on our second after 350K miles on the first. One minor correction -- the BRZ is RWD (shocked me to hear it at the dealership), everything else is AWD.
The BRZ is kind of a special case, in that it's a joint project with Toyota, who sells it as the FR-S/FT-86/GT86 depending on country. It's a Subaru boxer engine mated to a Toyota everything else, built in a Subaru factory. And perhaps most importantly for this thread, not remotely targeted at 80-year-old consumers. :mrgreen:

sport

Post by sport » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:43 am

If you are looking at a CPO Lexus, you should also consider a new Camry. It will have all the new safety features.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:45 am

jabberwockOG wrote:
Four wheel drive is only good for accelerating through deep snow. It does nothing to help you stop on slippery roads. I've lived in the Twin Cities my entire life and have never had anything more than a front wheel drive sedan and I've never had much of an issue. Literally, the only time I see all-wheel drive being useful is if you have to drive through 3-8 inches of snow, which, for me, only happens maybe once every year or two, because our snow plows are so timely and good at snow removal.

I feel that snow clearance and good tires are more important than all-wheel drive. All-wheel drive vehicles are heavier, thus get lower gas mileage, even when you don't need the all-wheel drive.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:49 am

Tires are what get you to be able to stop and turn in the snow. A good set of snow tires in the winter are the first line of defense. Second line is AWD.

I'm outside of Boston and with this winter we just went through, my Jeep Wrangler with 4 wheel drive, a snow plow and a couple Husqvarna chain saws were all requirements for me to get out of my driveway. My wife's driving a Subaru Crosstrek on snow tires and son drives an Outback on snow tires.

I just did some sampling of Acura and Accord weights. I think you're mistaken about your old Accord being heavier. From what I've noted, all Acuras are heavier than even the heaviest Accord. I think your tires are the problem. All season tires are fine for Florida. They're also fine in Boston from about May 1 to September 30. They don't cut it when there's snow on the ground.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

save-early-often

Post by save-early-often » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:57 am

LadyIJ wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:25 am
DH doesn't need another SUV, and they are harder to get in and out of.
My 82 year old Father in Law just got rid of his 2002 minivan for a Subaru Forester. It used to take him a few minutes to get in and out of the van, but he can get in and out of the Forrester with no problems.

GAAP

Post by GAAP » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:02 am

+1 on tires -- there are far more bad-poor all-season tires than good ones. The best are really good on snow, ice and wet pavement. The worst aren't as good as regular tires.

AWD is helpful when conditions while driving change suddenly -- rounding a curve and hitting a slick spot, for example. As a driver gets closer to the time where they should stop driving, AWD may help them deal with surprises like that.

The "need" for AWD will vary considerably depending on the conditions you drive in. The more varied the weather and terrain, the more likely you'll want it. I haven't needed it while driving in a New Jersey snowstorm, I have needed it with just snow conditions on the ground in Yosemite. "Terrain" could also include those crazy banked on-ramps like Dallas has -- they really are interesting in snow...

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:04 am

LadyIJ wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:25 am
My husband will be 80 this year. He is pretty sharp, but does seem to forget turning his lights off about 3 - 4 times a year. ..,...
It might be time for him to consider giving up driving especially if this was not a problem ten years ago. Lots of people can drive at that age and older but not everyone can.

Here is a AAA self evaluation brochure to help evaluate that.

https://seniordriving.aaa.com/evaluate- ... ting-tool/

I would also think that he could find some place where a driving instructor could be hired to take him out for a driving test to evaluate how he is driving.

Getting him set up to use Uber and Taxis could actually be a lot less expensive than buying a replacement car and paying for the insurance and car maintenance.

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:19 am

Your Acura performs poorly in snow because of the tires, it has nothing to do with torque so don't trust whoever told you that. Snow performance also does not depend as much on weight as you think, weight balance(i.e. how much weight as a percent is over the front vs. the back tires) rather than just the weight itself is more important. I had a 2010 TSX and frequently drove through mountain passes covered in snow because I used the proper tires.

Also, not sure where you got the idea that the TSX weighs less than the accord. The TSX is quite a bit heavier than the Accord. Depends which year you compare it with, but assuming you had a 2004 Accord, the 2nd Gen Acura TSX is 300lbs heavier which is quite a lot. (Accord 4 cal 3.1k lbs TSX 4cyl 3.4k lbs, Accord 6 cyl 3.4k lbs TSX 6 Cyl 3.7k lbs)

All Season tires are commonly referred to as "No-Season" tires because they are mediocre in all conditions, and master at none. When temps drop below 40 degrees the compound of the tires stiffens like a hockey puck reducing the tire's grip and ability to stop turn accelerate etc.

In a cold climate, winter tires will provide you a huge improvement in performance and safety regardless of what car you have. Even a Subaru with AWD would perform significantly better in winter conditions with winter tires compared to the same Subaru with no-season tires

This video shows the huge difference in performance in winter conditions between 3 season (summer), No Season (All Season) and winter tires...notice the huge difference in stopping distance and cornering capability? Spoiler...coming to a stop from 10mph, the winter tires took 18 feet less to stop than the same exact car with no season tires:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlYEMH10Z4s
Last edited by ssquared87 on Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:27 am

I can't imagine having a car at 80. But then again, I didn't have one at 30 either.
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:29 am

jabberwockOG wrote:
I drive through mountain passes to ski with several inches of snow covering the road with rear wheel drive cars....the right tires are more important than which wheels are driven, but admittedly AWD + Winter tires is best in these conditions. I had a car with AWD and winter tires and it was a little better, but not enough to warrant me getting the option again, so I just stay with RWD
Last edited by ssquared87 on Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:30 am

randomizer wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:27 am
I can't imagine having a car at 80. But then again, I didn't have one at 30 either.
Everyone is different. Paul Newman won the GT-1 class at Lime Rock at 82 years of age. I know family members who should have given up driving at 40 because they're so bad at it.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:33 am

lazydavid wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:41 am
GAAP wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:18 am
The BRZ is kind of a special case, in that it's a joint project with Toyota, who sells it as the FR-S/FT-86/GT86 depending on country. It's a Subaru boxer engine mated to a Toyota everything else, built in a Subaru factory. And perhaps most importantly for this thread, not remotely targeted at 80-year-old consumers. :mrgreen:
The BRZ is one of the best cars I've ever driven and I drive many amazing cars. It's let down by its terrible engine, but the chasis is spectacular.

It also performs extremely well in the snow with winter tires because it has a mechanical limited slip differential along with stability control.

mouses

Post by mouses » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:35 am

I'm in my 70s. When I park the car at home, I park it in the garage and the headlights show up dramatically against the front wall. Not a help if he is forgetting when he parks it elsewhere. But I don't do a lot of driving at night.

I was mumbling to my ortho doc about the difficulty getting in and out of the car, and he had me mess with the seat adjustments height, tilt. It makes a lot of difference. Then again it is not an SUV, so I can just stand with my back to the car and more or less fall in :-) through the driver's side door opening.

LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:59 am

Thanks for all the great comments. I will read them over a few times and digest all the good information. Just to clarify, my husband's reflexes are great, maybe even better than mine. He just gets a little forgetful, does a lot of running around. I selfishly want both a safe car for him, but something I will enjoy if he cannot drive someday. So I am leaning towards the Lexus whether sedan or RX350. I also will consider getting snow tires for my TSX next winter.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:13 am

Tell him to act his age. http://www.truecar.com/blog/2010/05/12/ ... g-drivers/ Seriously, there are reasons why these cars are more popular with seniors, and googling seem to bring up the Lincoln Town Car as the quintessential favorite.

https://www.thestreet.com/story/1123036 ... s-buy.html

Sounds like he's healthy and active. How often does he drive? Where does he go regularly? I'm just curious as I'm imaging myself at 80 mainly going to the doctors. I dislike shopping now, and when I'm 80, I'm hoping Amazon will be working on 5 minute delivery (In case you're not familiar, they already have Prime Same Day and Now (2 hr) in some locations) https://www.amazon.com/Prime-FREE-Same- ... 8729023011 https://primenow.amazon.com/home . For once or twice a week trips, I'd consider Uber and other options that might be available. Some seniors I know have informal driver arrangements.

But as far as cars, I suggest a smaller 4WD SUV (Forester, CRV, CX5, and the like). Bigger (tall) SUVs might be hard to get into, but so are sedans. The small SUVs seem to more the right height to just get in and out of without squatting or climbing. Also, the automatic seats that pull back to let you out on luxury cars is helpful. And for safety, since you mentioned snow, 4wd with snow tires in winter are ideal.

LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:27 am

inbox788 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:13 am
Tell him to act his age. http://www.truecar.com/blog/2010/05/12/ ... g-drivers/ Seriously, there are reasons why these cars are more popular with seniors, and googling seem to bring up the Lincoln Town Car as the quintessential favorite.

https://www.thestreet.com/story/1123036 ... s-buy.html

Sounds like he's healthy and active. How often does he drive? Where does he go regularly? I'm just curious as I'm imaging myself at 80 mainly going to the doctors. I dislike shopping now, and when I'm 80, I'm hoping Amazon will be working on 5 minute delivery (In case you're not familiar, they already have Prime Same Day and Now (2 hr) in some locations) https://www.amazon.com/Prime-FREE-Same- ... 8729023011 https://primenow.amazon.com/home . For once or twice a week trips, I'd consider Uber and other options that might be available. Some seniors I know have informal driver arrangements.

But as far as cars, I suggest a smaller 4WD SUV (Forester, CRV, CX5, and the like). Bigger (tall) SUVs might be hard to get into, but so are sedans. The small SUVs seem to more the right height to just get in and out of without squatting or climbing. Also, the automatic seats that pull back to let you out on luxury cars is helpful. And for safety, since you mentioned snow, 4wd with snow tires in winter are ideal.
He is very young and very active for 79. He goes to Yoga at the health club and goes to art classes (he is an artist) once a week and then drives to Menards, Lowes, Ace a lot, as he works a lot on our house, belongs to a club on the arts, etc. I was interested in a smaller SUV, but we want luxury, do not like the smaller Lexus, I THINK maybe Infiniti has a nicer SUV we may check out - I hear you - smaller equates with not climbing UP and DOWN. Although that Lexus ES350 seems very easy to enter and exit, nice, stable car. 80 for many today, is not what you may envision!

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:56 am

inbox788 wrote:
The Lincoln Town car is a TERRIBLE choice. It was discontinued 7 years ago, and last updated exactly two decades ago.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:31 pm

I am in my mid 80s and, fortunately,almost any auto is fine with me. (Although I sold my 1960 MGA two years ago.....getting harder to get out of.) My wife is "only" 78, a kid indeed, but she has some mobility problems and has difficulty getting into my 2010 Ford Edge (I am keeping this one for another 3 years probably.). This year we will replace her 2007 Mercury Montego, which has been a great car for her, but it is time to replace, for safety and ease of entry if for no other reason. The car must be easy to enter with a lower seat height. Rear cameras should be there. Safety items I would like would be blind spot detection, lane departure warning, and lane keep assist.
The US & News Report published an article last year titled Best New Cars for Older Drivers https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/bes ... er-drivers
It listed these 9 2017 models (We will probably select one of these year old or 2016 low mile cars). Comments noted are from my wife: (Note: she says any car MUST have heated leather seats.) :)

Subaru Forester (She doesn't like this, but I do....we'll see though. The main thing is getting into and have good all around sight. Will investigate.)
Hyundai Sonata (especially noted for low ride height. This may be a good choice. She will consider. )
Buick Encore (noted for easy to enter. She doesn't like though)
Honda Odyssey (just doesn't like)
Chevy Impala (She likes this one so will be considered.)
Kia Soul (too small)
Toyota Prius (no comment, so no interest)
Toyota Camry (ditto)
Chrysler 300 (Too big for her)

We will test drive several when it gets warmer and drier.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:34 pm

midareff wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:40 am
Cars can get sooo personal but I am totally for things like blind spot assist, 360 degree cameras, auto on and off lights, pedestrian warning, collision avoidance warnings with or without auto braking and such. Ordered all of them (and more) with the new 2018 I picked up a month ago. I have become a fan of a big NAV screen with spoken directions and a HUD (heads up display) too. There is no such as too safe.
80+ year old guy here. Love our 2015 Subaru Outback with all those safety features. Agree that AWD doesn't help STOPPING; all cars have 4 wheel brakes. But AWD IS useful if the snow is deep enough. We deliver meals-on-wheels and occasionally have to get through the ridges that the city/country leaves in driveways when the plows have come through. While a Legacy sedan would normally be a good car too, the rear liftgate is so much more convenient for the meals runs. Outback is also better when you have lots of luggage on trips. Dealers have lots more Outbacks than Legacy sedans.

BL

Post by BL » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:57 pm

Sheepdog wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:31 pm
I am in my mid 80s and, fortunately,almost any auto is fine with me. (Although I sold my 1960 MGA two years ago.....getting harder to get out of.) My wife is "only" 78, a kid indeed, but she has some mobility problems and has difficulty getting into my 2010 Ford Edge (I am keeping this one for another 3 years probably.). This year we will replace her 2007 Mercury Montego, which has been a great car for her, but it is time to replace, for safety and ease of entry if for no other reason. The car must be easy to enter with a lower seat height. Rear cameras should be there. Safety items I would like would be blind spot detection, lane departure warning, and lane keep assist.
The US & News Report published an article last year titled Best New Cars for Older Drivers https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/bes ... er-drivers
It listed these 9 2017 models (We will probably select one of these year old or 2016 low mile cars). Comments noted are from my wife: (Note: she says any car MUST have heated leather seats.) :)

Subaru Forester (She doesn't like this, but I do....we'll see though. The main thing is getting into and have good all around sight. Will investigate.)
Hyundai Sonata (especially noted for low ride height. This may be a good choice. She will consider. )
Buick Encore (noted for easy to enter. She doesn't like though) Love it. Easy to enter for average male with stiff neck, and for short female as seats have button adjustment for 2 drivers. Love heated seats, passenger seat adjustment, heated steering wheel, rear camera, other safety features.
Chevy Impala (She likes this one so will be considered.) 5-year old had visibility problems for short female, lacks passenger seat adjustment and other luxuries, difficult to enter for average male with stiff neck, no problems with car.Have to climb into trunk to reach all the way in if not blocked off. Good mileage.
Kia Soul (too small)
Toyota Camry (ditto)
Chrysler 300 (Too big for her)..

midareff

Post by midareff » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:21 pm

RudyS wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:34 pm
midareff wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:40 am
80+ year old guy here. Love our 2015 Subaru Outback with all those safety features. Agree that AWD doesn't help STOPPING; all cars have 4 wheel brakes. But AWD IS useful if the snow is deep enough. We deliver meals-on-wheels and occasionally have to get through the ridges that the city/country leaves in driveways when the plows have come through. While a Legacy sedan would normally be a good car too, the rear liftgate is so much more convenient for the meals runs. Outback is also better when you have lots of luggage on trips. Dealers have lots more Outbacks than Legacy sedans.
I agree and would like to add (70 year old guy here) .... there is no time like now. I'm a motor-head that was forced into remission during various parts of my life due to things like wife and kids, broke years and such. Other parts of y life I auto-crossed an original 1967 Austin Cooper S, enjoyed an MR2 (first edition) and had a couple of Porsches, of which I auto-crossed the second one (2000 model) for 3.5 years then went back into motor-head remission to save every nickel I could for my retirement, which I accomplished in early 2012. Bought a nice (very) Mercedes C350 Sedan with all the safety features available then for a combination of retirement and my 65 B-Day. As a culmination of a continuing bull market and my 70th I went for something else from MB I had wanted for many years and with all the current safety features again. What will I do with >500 horsepower, probably nothing but take another item off the bucket list. Wife thinks I'm crazy but driving it takes me back to a time I was much younger, and that's enough.

LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:14 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:56 am
inbox788 wrote:
The Lincoln Town car is a TERRIBLE choice. It was discontinued 7 years ago, and last updated exactly two decades ago.
Although I haven't had a chance yet t read this article, we are only considering Japanese luxury, so that pretty much leaves us to Acura, Lexus or Infiniti!

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:16 pm

Buy an SUV built on a car frame instead of a truck frame. Toyota RAV4 Or Honda CR-V come to mind.

LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:22 pm

Sheepdog wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:31 pm

Buick Encore (noted for easy to enter. She doesn't like though)
Chevy Impala (She likes this one so will be considered.)
Kia Soul (too small)
Toyota Camry (ditto)
Chrysler 300 (Too big for her)

Very interesting - and yes, getting in and out - and that may be a consideration for me too with my back issues. UNFORTUNATELY for us, I'm pretty fussy with seat comfort - looked at the Toyota Camry and it wasn't great for me. We did rent a Chrysler 300 on a recent trip and it was nice, but we're not going to buy a Chrysler. The Chevy Impala should be a good, reliable car - and it is larger as well. Thanks for sharing, and good luck to you also on your auto pursuit!

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:40 pm

Although you expressed a desire for a luxury car, in the BH spirit, I respectfully suggest you at least try out a Subaru Outback (yes, I'm biased), and/or one of the other suggestions made above. Comfort is very individual and subjective, you need to see for yourself. Both in the driver's seat and the passenger's.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:56 pm

For the Japanese luxury brands you're looking at: The new Infiniti QX50 has gotten very good reviews. I haven't been a fan of Infiniti/Nissan over the past few years, but the QX50 suggests they've woken up. The redesign of the Acura RDX (coming this fall) may also be worth considering. The Lexus NX has been around a while - it's a perfectly decent car but it's styling is a matter of taste.

I'd also give serious consideration to downsizing to just one car between the two of you. How often do you need both at the same time?

elcadarj

Post by elcadarj » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:56 pm

My Dad, 82, drives a Toyota Avalon and a GMC Sierra pickup truck. Mom hates the pickup truck, loves the Avalon. So I vote +1 to the ES350.

OBTW, though I do accept that, as a general rule, our motor skills taper off as we age, individuals vary. My father was named Ambulance Driver of the Year of his county rescue squad at age 79. He resigned at 81 not because of deteriorating driving skills but because he couldn't be on call due to caregiver responsibilities for my mom.

LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:19 pm

elcadarj wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:56 pm
My Dad, 82, drives a Toyota Avalon and a GMC Sierra pickup truck. Mom hates the pickup truck, loves the Avalon. So I vote +1 to the ES350.

OBTW, though I do accept that, as a general rule, our motor skills taper off as we age, individuals vary. My father was named Ambulance Driver of the Year of his county rescue squad at age 79. He resigned at 81 not because of deteriorating driving skills but because he couldn't be on call due to caregiver responsibilities for my mom.
we are really leaning that way - the ES350 - all the safety features, easy entry and exit, the luxury I want. Thanks!

LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:21 pm

02nz wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:56 pm
For the Japanese luxury brands you're looking at: The new Infiniti QX50 has gotten very good reviews. I haven't been a fan of Infiniti/Nissan over the past few years, but the QX50 suggests they've woken up. The redesign of the Acura RDX (coming this fall) may also be worth considering. The Lexus NX has been around a while - it's a perfectly decent car but it's styling is a matter of taste.

I'd also give serious consideration to downsizing to just one car between the two of you. How often do you need both at the same time?
I will check that out. We DO need 2 cars, as he's very active and I have my own friends and itinerary. I know people that do that, but I think that is stifling. We live in suburbs and you literally cannot walk anywhere. ALSO, if one has an emergency (LIKE A DEAD BATTERY) the other is there to come to the rescue! We don't like the hard seats i the NX, but WILL check out the Infiniti. Thanks.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:31 pm

FWIW, many school bus drivers in NJ are in their 80s. An 85-year-old in the Princeton area was just cited and dismissed for decades-old sex-crime charges. He would still be driving busloads full of kids around difficult winding roads if not for this issue.
So I guess he can still be driving if he seems to do it OK.

I would get a car with all the new collision avoidance and detection equipment. I do find my AWD Lexus very surefooted in slipper conditions, the same with my former 4-matic Mercedes. Prior to this, my big front-wheel-drive GM car in the 1990s would swerve and did 180s sometimes regardless of what tires I had on them. So I'm a believer in all-wheel-drive.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:38 pm

jabberwockOG wrote:
Was just going to say that. My 94-year old driving grandpa has a little Impreza hatchback.

LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:46 pm

rgs92 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:31 pm
FWIW, many school bus drivers in NJ are in their 80s. An 85-year-old in the Princeton area was just cited and dismissed for decades-old sex-crime charges. He would still be driving busloads full of kids around difficult winding roads if not for this issue.
So I guess he can still be driving if he seems to do it OK.

I would get a car with all the new collision avoidance and detection equipment. I do find my AWD Lexus very surefooted in slipper conditions, the same with my former 4-matic Mercedes. Prior to this, my big front-wheel-drive GM car in the 1990s would swerve and did 180s sometimes regardless of what tires I had on them. So I'm a believer in all-wheel-drive.
which Lexus model do you have?

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:49 pm

LS460 (4 years old, bought used, solid as a rock, stable as anything in the snow or ice).

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:57 pm

We just bought a Buick, all of ours turn the light off automatically,
and all have traction control which is really helpful when getting going on
hard snow or ice.

Many of the models we test drove had features like
lane departure warning
adaptive cruise

These can be quite helpful, though we did not buy a car with these.
We bought a less expensive version, with the intent that our next car will have
much more automated driving features (lane keeping and adaptive cruise at least,
though I'd love to punch in an address into my GPS and have the car drive me there.
Car and Chauffeur in one, it just doesn't open the door for me.)

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:04 pm

LadyIJ wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:14 pm
Although I haven't had a chance yet t read this article, we are only considering Japanese luxury, so that pretty much leaves us to Acura, Lexus or Infiniti!
Why only Japanese? Reliability of some german brands are higher than the brands you mentioned. Check Consumer Reports latest reliability rankings. Acura has fallen quite a bit probably due to the CVT transmissions and convoluted infotainment systems.

Audi and BMW are above average while Infiniti is average and at the same level as Buick. Acura is way below average

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-rel ... -stack-up/

mfswatz9

Post by mfswatz9 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:22 pm

I am our only driver at almost 82. My spouse gave up driving about 3 years ago. We are on our second Audi A4; it is almost 2 years old. Love it! It is fun to drive; AWD, comfortable and safe.

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:29 pm

72 yo here. I just replaced a 2005 Volvo XC70 (wagon) with a gently used 2015 version of the same thing. I can't say enough for the safety and convenience improvements over those 10 years! Knowing that I'm not getting any younger I definitely wanted things like the backup camera, blind spot detection, lane departure warning, etc. In the month+ that I've had it I've really grown to appreciate those features. I won't try to talk you into a Volvo because it sounds like you have your eyes on other brands. But I can't emphasize enough the value of the newer safety technology available today.
Friar1610

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:30 pm

randomizer wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:27 am
I know a number of people safely driving at 80+ getting to and from various outings. I also know people that age that shouldn't be driving. It really depends on how well (or luckily I should say) the person ages.

LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:28 pm

ssquared87 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:04 pm
LadyIJ wrote:
Why only Japanese? Reliability of some german brands are higher than the brands you mentioned. Check Consumer Reports latest reliability rankings. Acura has fallen quite a bit probably due to the CVT transmissions and convoluted infotainment systems.

Audi and BMW are above average while Infiniti is average and at the same level as Buick. Acura is way below average

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-rel ... -stack-up/
Cost of repairs on Japanese and American cars are less expensive and our mechanic can handle.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:50 pm

The elderly driver is one instance when the boglehead mantra of buying used might be worth skipping. The newer cars have such a plethora of increased safety features that they might make up for several of the problems the aging driver faces (decreased reaction time, mobility, etc.)
A couple of articles:
https://seniordriving.aaa.com/maintain- ... tfeatures/
Consumer reports just came out with a list of top 25 cars for older drivers
.All 25 models earned a score of excellent or very good in categories including road-test performance, predicted reliability, owner satisfaction and safety. Special consideration was given to features that Consumer Reports thinks are essential for older drivers.

The list includes:

Subaru Forester, Outback, Legacy and Crosstrek
Kia Soul, Sportage, Sorento and Forte
Toyota Highlander, Prius V, RAV4, Camry, Sienna and Corolla
Honda Odyssey, Accord, CRV and Pilot
Ford C-Max Hybrid, Escape and Flex
Hyundai Sonata, Santa Fe and Tucson
Nissan Rogue
Last edited by mhalley on Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mouses

Post by mouses » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:51 pm

MathWizard wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:57 pm
We just bought a Buick, all of ours turn the light off automatically,
and all have traction control which is really helpful when getting going on
hard snow or ice.

Many of the models we test drove had features like
lane departure warning
adaptive cruise

These can be quite helpful, though we did not buy a car with these.
We bought a less expensive version, with the intent that our next car will have
much more automated driving features (lane keeping and adaptive cruise at least,
though I'd love to punch in an address into my GPS and have the car drive me there.
Car and Chauffeur in one, it just doesn't open the door for me.)
Which Buick do you have?

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:39 am

LadyIJ wrote:
lazydavid wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:56 am
inbox788 wrote:
That link was in reference to the pathfinder being one of the "TOP 30 HIGHEST CONCENTRATION OF UNDER 34 YEAR OLD OWNERS". The Town car was was mentioned more as a joke, but cars of that class do tend to have older drivers for various reasons.

The japanese luxury cars are great cars, but they all have their tradeoffs. Don't dismiss the Audi Q5 without taking a closer look.
https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/ran ... mpact-suvs

BTW, the CRV is a great vehicle, but there's been concern over the fuel in oil, especially in cold weather locations you should be aware of. It's enough to give me pause, and I'm not in a cold area.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=244271