Blood pressure monitor - 2 users w/ different size arms

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Looking4Answers

Blood pressure monitor - 2 users w/ different size arms

Post by Looking4Answers » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:14 pm

My husband and I both need to monitor our blood pressure. Our current blood pressure monitor did not seem very accurate when checking at doctor's office. In looking at current models, it seems that I would be better off with a smaller size cuff, my husband with a standard size cuff. What would be best is a widely adjustable cuff or a monitor which makes it very easy to switch between cuffs. Any suggestions?

CABob

Re: Blood pressure monitor - 2 users w/ different size arms

Post by CABob » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:25 pm

Have you tried the standard cuff to see if you can get a good reading? I would thing it would be most convenient if both could use the same monitor and cuff. DW and I both use the same cuff.
I believe that this is the monitor we use.
Last edited by CABob on Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:28 pm

What did the doc or nurse advise?

Looking4Answers

Post by Looking4Answers » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:32 pm

CABob wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:25 pm
Have you tried the standard cuff to see if you can get a good reading? I would thing it would be most convenient if both could use the same monitor and cuff. DW and I both use the same cuff.
We have both been using the same cuff on our current monitor, but now I am wondering if I was getting an accurate reading. My arm measures around 8.5". Most of the standard cuffs start around 9". I did see one that started at 8.5", but it was not one of higher rated models.

Looking4Answers

Post by Looking4Answers » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:34 pm

SrGrumpy wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:28 pm
What did the doc or nurse advise?
The issue of two users was not discussed on last visit. Just now started paying closer attention to cuff size recommendations.

Dr. Mom

Post by Dr. Mom » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:52 pm

Will try to stay financial in my answer... The cuff needs to fit the arm. So, either get two cuffs and switch between the two of you or buy 2 separate monitors each with a cuff appropriate to the one using it. If you don't need to be checking it daily at home, it would be cheaper to monitor yourselves at monitoring stations in a pharmacy, Wal-Mart, or health club. Our YMCA keeps monitors with several cuff sizes for the members. Good luck!

bklyn96

Post by bklyn96 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:52 pm

Looking4Answers wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:14 pm
Any suggestions?
We got our monitor from Omron four years ago. It's a simple matter to switch the cuffs depending on who is using it. Over the years the numbers we've gotten at home generally agree with those we get at our doctors' offices. Here's the old order detail:

Product SKU: HEM-705CPN
Product Name: Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor with Printer (HEM-705CPN)
Qty Ordered: 1
Amount: $129.99

Product SKU: H-003DS
Product Name: Small Cuff 7"-9"(H-003DS)
Qty Ordered: 1
Amount: $22.00

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:01 pm

1) Be aware that it is possible for your blood pressure numbers to be different at the MD office as compared to at home (look up, "white coat syndrome"). Doesn't necessarily mean your monitor is bad. You can test whether this is happening by taking your monitor with you the next time you visit your doctor.

2) If replacing, you should buy a monitor that will allow you to detach the cuff & hose. That way, you can both share one monitor and then just buy the size cuff that you need. Cuffs (without a monitor attached) are sold at certain pharmacies or online. Just make sure you purchase the correct size; cuff size is very important for accurate readings. I believe the Omron 10-series has 2-user mode capability, and allows you to swap out cuffs.
Last edited by Loik098 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Mom

Post by Dr. Mom » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:03 pm

Just checked the one we have at home. It's an automatic ReliOn from Walmart which runs about $40. We purchased the second cuff and switch between us.

Looking4Answers

Post by Looking4Answers » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:08 pm

Loik098 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:01 pm
1) Be aware that it is possible for your blood pressure numbers to be different at the MD office as compared to at home (look up, "white coat syndrome"). Doesn't necessarily mean your monitor is bad. You can test whether this is happening by taking your monitor with you the next time you visit your doctor.

2) If replacing, you should buy a monitor that will allow you to detach the cuff & hose. That way, you can both share one monitor and then just buy the size cuff that you need. Cuffs (without a monitor attached) are sold at certain pharmacies or online. Just make sure you purchase the correct size; cuff size is very important for accurate readings.
My husband just took our monitor on his last doctor's visit and it wasn't accurate. (We've had it a long time and had some other issues with it also.) I have doctor's appointment coming up and was thinking of getting new monitor before visit so I could take it with me then.

invst65

Post by invst65 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:57 pm

Looking4Answers wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:08 pm
My husband just took our monitor on his last doctor's visit and it wasn't accurate. (We've had it a long time and had some other issues with it also.) I have doctor's appointment coming up and was thinking of getting new monitor before visit so I could take it with me then.
Is the monitor itself not accurate or could it be the way your husband is using it? I've observed that you can throw the readings way off by not following the directions properly. After getting some alarmingly high readings all in a row I got out the manual and did exactly what it said and they went back down to the normal readings like I always get at the doctor's office.

As for the two different arm sizes issue my wife is very small, even for a woman, and I'm about average. The standard size of the Omron worked perfectly well for both of us.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:06 pm

invst65 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:57 pm
Is the monitor itself not accurate or could it be the way your husband is using it? I've observed that you can throw the readings way off by not following the directions properly. After getting some alarmingly high readings all in a row I got out the manual and did exactly what it said and they went back down to the normal readings like I always get at the doctor's office.
Excellent point. B/P can be all over the place depending on cuff placement, arm placement, time of day, caffeine/meds intake, position of legs, etc. And whether subject is sitting, supine or orthostatic.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:13 pm

If you get a blood pressure monitor from Costco and it does not work, you can return it.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)