Ogden UT/Salt Lake City summer children's activities?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
markfaix

Ogden UT/Salt Lake City summer children's activities?

Post by markfaix » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:39 am

In July, DW has a weeklong course at Weber State University in Ogden, UT, outside of Salt Lake City. I'll be tagging along with 2 of our children, ages 8 and 10.

Any suggestions on activities for me to do with the kids? Looking mostly for daytime activities. Maybe one overnight trip is possible, but we prefer to stay together as a family as much as possible.

getthatmarshmallow

Re: Ogden UT/Salt Lake City summer children's activities?

Post by getthatmarshmallow » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:07 am

Lots to do with kids in the area including parts south of Salt Lake City:

Local to Ogden:
1) Treehouse Museum, an absolutely first-rate children's museum.
2) Dinosaur Park, an odd but fun hybrid of a dinosaur museum + large outdoor space with dinosaur statues and a playground.
3) Ogden Nature Center, a very nice nature preserve/activity center.
4) Hiking! There are plenty of kid-friendly day hikes in the area. Anywhere along the Bonneville Shoreline Trail is easily accessible and pretty easy -- if your kids like hiking and don't mind a little bit of scrambling, Waterfall Canyon or Malan's Peak (steep, but the view is worth it.) The River parkway is paved and great for a casual stroll or biking.
5) Ogden is relatively small and is going through the boutiquey downtown renaissance common to lots of smaller towns. Head along 25th street and the surrounding blocks for bookstores, shopping, food.

In SLC/south (out West 100 miles roundtrip is a thing.)
6) Hogle Zoo
7) Living Planet Aquarium
8) The Leonardo, a kid-friendly museum
9) Les Madeleines, an awesome patisserie right near the Leonardo.
10) Thanksgiving Point, an area with several museums, outdoor gardens, etc.

mhc

Post by mhc » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:46 am

The Golden Spike National Historic Site is not too far away.

Kix

Post by Kix » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:04 am

Oh I'd hit Lagoon for sure. My kids love it there.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:51 am

Kix wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:04 am
Oh I'd hit Lagoon for sure. My kids love it there.
8 and 10 year olds may enjoy it...unless they've been to DisneyLand or World or Knott's Berry Farm. It's like a passing town carnival in comparison. If OP is willing to venture down to Lehi/Thanksgiving Point (~25 miles south of SLC), my kids love the the Museum of Natural Curiosity. If you are an outdoorsy family who likes hiking and the like, there are a million things to do (although it is probably a bit chilly right now - not sure, I'm in Vegas on business).

jdv01

Post by jdv01 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:24 am

Antelope Island Stake Park. This an island in the Great Salt Lake. Has bison, Pronghorn (Antelope), Mule Deer. Lots of birds. You can bike, kayak (kayaks can be rented at the island) and hike. If you run in to bison out and about just give it plenty of room and you should be fine. With the long drought the lake is around its historic low point so the water around the beach is a bit of hike to reach. As a photographer I spend a lot of time at the island. Great sunsets and some nice wildlife photography.

Typically July is hot (temp high 90's to over 100) and dry if you aren't from the west just be aware that the humidity levels are quite low during the summer months even in Northern Utah so make sure to pack plenty of water with you when you are hiking or doing outdoor activities. You will need to make sure everyone is drinking more water the dry air can dehydrate you quickly which is a good way to ruin a fun time.

Sunscreen is a must since UV is higher than areas which are lower in elevation. The elevation at Ogden is 4300 ft you need to remember that you will be ascending to a higher elevation on most hikes and that means keeping a watch on the children since they can get elevation sickness and not know it. So if you plan on hiking do some research on elevation sickness. Just going from Ogden up to one of the ski resorts for example can put you at 8000 ft or higher which can pose a problem for those not used to higher elevations.

Salt Lake City is just about 50 minutes away so there are all of the things there to do if you want a day trip. The Zoo and Aquarium and Planetarium are all in Salt Lake. Further south in American Fork Canyon is Timpanogos Cave National Monument that is a nice cave system. Depending on traffic that is about 2 hr drive from Ogden maybe less. Well worth it for a day trip if you like caves.

Enjoy the stay. Weber State is nice campus. I grew up in Ogden and Weber State is my alma mater.

bltkmt

Post by bltkmt » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:22 pm

We have vacationed in Eden, UT just outside of Ogden. Two things that were big hits with my boys were fly fishing and river tubing. We used Utah Pro Flying Fishing - great guides and they provide everything. Barefoot Tubing on the Weber River is a great spot to do tubing.

Also, if you like pizza hit up Lucky Slice Pizza in Ogden - some of the best pizza I have ever had.

telemark

Post by telemark » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:23 pm

If driving everywhere gets old, you can also ride the Frontrunner train to Thanksgiving Point or downtown Salt Lake City.

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:32 pm

July will be hot - with cool evenings.

Mirror Lake in the Uintas will be cool. And there are other hikes in the area. Easy day trip from SLC.

Lots of hiking in the Wasatch. Visit ski resorts in the summer - lots of hikes start in their vicinity - e.g., Silver Lake at Brighton, with hike up to Lake Solitude. Be aware of altitude - I want to say about 8500 feet.

Natural History Museum at UofU. It's right next to Red Butte Gardens and Arboretum.

Antelope Island doesn't have much shade - try to be there first thing in the morning. With any luck, the bison will be heading out from the ranch into the higher parts of the Island.

There's a Bird Refuge by the lake. Tracy Aviary in SLC's Liberty Park.

+1 on the Jordan River Parkway and the Bonneville Shoreline Trail. Parkway winds along the River thru most of the Valley, and the International Peace Gardens is along it. Also Promontory Point/Golden Spike (an important point to US History).

Museum at Hill Air Force Base.

Don't know what dates in July, but both the 4th and the 24th have fireworks in Utah.

Ogden Canyon and the Reservoir at the top are quite pretty. Boating, etc at the reservoir.

SLC's Gateway has a Children's Museum and Planetarium. South end of the Valley has Loveland Aquarium. Uh, if you're a shopper, there's a Scheels. There's a Cabela's in the next valley south.

And if you go that far, Thanksgiving Point has its own ?Natural History Museum and extensive gardens.