How to delist a bogus Craigslist entry

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
SGM

How to delist a bogus Craigslist entry

Post by SGM » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:15 am

Yesterday I kept getting calls and texts on my cell phone asking about a vehicle sale. I have never been on the Craigslist website. How can I get the listing deleted as the whole thing is bogus? I don't know if this is someone's idea of a stupid joke or an error in transcribing a phone number. Had I realized what was happening at a local BH lunch meeting I could have asked one of the two BH members with Ivy league doctorates in statistics and probabilities what are the chances something like this would happen accidently. :annoyed

JoMoney

Re: How to delist a bogus Craigslist entry

Post by JoMoney » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:23 am

https://www.craigslist.org/about/help/abuse

Harassment, publication of personal information

If your personal information has been posted on craigslist, use our online form to report the issue.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

z91

Post by z91 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:12 pm

If it happens more than a few times..I'd contact Craigslist to try and get a live person. That way they can at least try to ban the IP listing your phone number. Failing that, I'd honestly consider changing my number.

The trouble with CL is people always put in funky looking phone numbers to prevent spam, but could cause a lot of confusion (e.g., Call Five5Five-Zero8Six etc..)

DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:25 pm

Do a "reply by email" to the person who posted the ad and let them know that they entered YOUR phone number and ask them to fix it.
♫ Stocks go up ♫ Stocks go down ♫ Stocks go up ♫ Stocks go down ♫

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:28 pm

If you know the specific add, click "Prohibited" on the listing.

Do it from your phone, a laptop, a tablet. After 2 or 3 flags, the listing is pulled.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:48 am

If you have not found the ad yet, you should probably ask the next caller what make model year of the car and city of listing so you can find the ad.

I looked at a legitimate car for sale from Craigslist a few years ago. When I first saw the listing, I was unable to reach the seller. Turns out she had mistyped her number and was really surprised why she went two weeks without any interest. So mistakes happen.

SGM

Post by SGM » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:21 pm

I cannot find the ad, but am getting fewer phone calls. My service gives me a scam alert and there are a dozen a day. My greeting is quite long so you really must want to leave a message if you will listen to the whole greeting. Someone just left a scam message that if I don't call back I won't get to use Windows. My service flagged it as a scam but still allows them to leave messages.

Thanks for the responses.

SGM

Post by SGM » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:04 am

From a text I gathered that the advertisement included a price of $1500 and the word pickup as well as the manufacturer. This allowed me to narrow down matches to about 8 vehicles across the state. I clicked on the red telephone icons until I found my cell phone number. I flagged the entry and it disappeared. I am not registered with Craigslist so I couldn't post a comment on why I flagged the entry, but I sent their help desk an email with the ID and an explanation. Hopefully this will resolve the problem. :D