Where to put TV in living room?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Jags4186

Where to put TV in living room?

Post by Jags4186 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:59 pm

We just purchased a home and I’m trying to figure out how to place a TV in a living room. We do not have a separate family room. The previous owners had the TV hung above the fireplace. Everything I’ve read everywhere says don’t hang a TV above a fireplace/its bad to look up. I also think it looks tacky. But I can’t figure out any other place to put it. What do you all think?

I did my best to draw with dimensions, large center window on the bottom wall, two windows on either side of the fireplace on the left wall. Fireplace in center of left wall. Doorways on the top and right walls. I figure the only place for a couch is along the right wall between the two doorways.

celia

Re: Where to put TV in living room?

Post by celia » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:16 pm

One problem you have is where will the viewers sit? It probably doesn't make sense to sit in front of the fireplace or the windows on the left wall. But I see a possibility if you can put it on some short shelving unit diagonally in the bottom left corner to hold the TV. Then you could use an L-shaped couch set along the 9.5 space along the right wall with the short part of the L sticking out towards the middle of the room. But I don't know if all the furniture would fit in this room.

You are right in that the TV shouldn't be up high. It should be closer to eye level when sitting in the room.

ram

Post by ram » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:22 pm

On left lower corner on a hinged frame where you can turn direction to make it parallel to fireplace or perpendicular to fireplace and then decide positions of sofa, love seat, chair depending on how many people, how frequently watch that particular TV.
Ram

Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:24 pm

while not necessarily optimal, perhaps having the TV on a cabinet at the top left (left of entrance door), which would be a distance from your couch ( in the middle of the right wall) which gives a bit of a viewing distance

with all the apparent window and door/transition locations... there isn’t an otherwise ideal location, hence why it was above the fireplace, which is from a location standpoint the best. (in our previous house, the fireplace was not centered and the TV was offset a bit, but our room was a bit larger).

while it could go into the lower left, I’ve always felt it odd to have the TV confront visitors when they entered; also, I assume you will then also have a smaller chair/recliner in the upper right In that configuration the TV and the fireplace could both be enjoyed with the seated guests (artwork/pictures on the lower wall...seen by entering guests)

IANARD....
I am not a room designer :|

winterfan

Post by winterfan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:25 pm

How about the upper left corner at an angle? Or would it block the window?

Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:32 pm

winterfan wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:25 pm
How about the upper left corner at an angle? Or would it block the window?
That’s where I had it on a cabinet...based on the room size, it really wouldn’t be that large of a TV. Hanging a TV in the corner...would...be awkward (at either upper or lower corner)

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:36 pm

I think it could go on a small tv hutch either in the top or bottom left, although i believe the top left to be better since it wouldn’t be next to the very large window. Just a quick note about doors—the top of the picture is the back of the house. That door opens to a screened in porch. The front door opens into a center hall.

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:51 pm

If you use your fireplace like many (most?) people, you could just put the TV in *front* of the fireplace... And when you want a fire, just put a video of one on (lose less heat up the chimney, too). Use a low stand if needed to get the right height.

asdfgf

Post by asdfgf » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:52 pm

I think the don't put the TV above the fireplace is kind of a weird dogma. I suppose is some sort of technical videophile sense, it is suboptimal, but at the end of the day if you don't notice a problem, then it's not a problem.

I have a TV in my family room over the fireplace, because it by far the best location and the only location that makes sense. I was worried for the same reasons you are, but there was no other reasonable option. I can see it fine. Gazing upwards a little doesn't really cause me any problems.

Maybe you could just try it for a while and see how you like it. Instead of mounting it, if your mantle and TV allow it, just set the TV on the mantle and try it for a month.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:13 am

Ours is above the fireplace because there was simply no other logical place to put it and that was the only place to put it where it could be viewed from the adjacent kitchen and dining area where I spend most of my time. I could have put it in the corner beside the fireplace but that would have looked odd and would have messed with the sight lines even more. I don't really get the obsession about not mounting TVs above fireplaces. I think that is an affection of interior decorators who think they need to be hidden unless it is a dedicated media room.

If you are mounting a flat screen you can get nice articulating mounts that will let you pull the TV out from the wall and also tilt it down towards the seating area so the sight lines are appropriate. I don't have the slightest issue with the slightly upward line of sight from the sofa. I have the TV tilted at a slight downward angle that is perfect for the seating area.

Also, our fireplace is gas but for the first couple months or so I was very anal about checking how much fireplace heat was escaping upwards towards the TV. Basically none. It was barely warm and when I would stand there with my hand at the TV height I couldn't really feel any convection heat from the fireplace. It was mostly radiant heat projecting outwards rather than upwards. A traditional wood fireplace may give you a different experience. But if you have a wide mantle and the TV is nested behind the projecting mantle then I doubt even that would be an issue.

Philliesfan

Post by Philliesfan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:41 am

We had this issue with an awkward room. Eventually settled on using a mantelmount https://www.mantelmount.com/ to mount the television above our gas fireplace. The mount allows the television to be viewed at a normal level. The only downside is that you can't use the gas fireplace while the television is swung down.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:53 am

Our LR is 23' x 13' and similar to yours. Fortunately, our doorway, using your layout is at top right which enables us to put TV on top center wall.

One other consideration is viewing angles. LCD TVs side viewing angles are not good (plasma and OLEDs do not have this problem). If you have an LCD, you want to make sure viewing angles are more central.

jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:54 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:59 pm
We just purchased a home and I’m trying to figure out how to place a TV in a living room. We do not have a separate family room. The previous owners had the TV hung above the fireplace. Everything I’ve read everywhere says don’t hang a TV above a fireplace/its bad to look up. I also think it looks tacky. But I can’t figure out any other place to put it. What do you all think?

I did my best to draw with dimensions, large center window on the bottom wall, two windows on either side of the fireplace on the left wall. Fireplace in center of left wall. Doorways on the top and right walls. I figure the only place for a couch is along the right wall between the two doorways.

they make mounts that pull out from wall and down for fireplaces.... I actually bought one and I don't have a fireplace. For the reason to have TV at perfect height while seated, but if we have a bunch of people over I can put it up for better viewing for all