Recommend airline luggage fitting in overhead bin?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Myopic squirrel

Recommend airline luggage fitting in overhead bin?

Post by Myopic squirrel » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:40 pm

Need to update our overhead bin bags. Want the 4 corner wheels model. Appreciate your suggestions. Thank you in advance!

neurosphere

Re: Recommend airline luggage fitting in overhead bin?

Post by neurosphere » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:12 pm

Doesn't it depend on the plane? I fly about 80 segments a year. On some flights, my bookbag barely fits into the overhead and most passengers gate-check their bags.

So you should clarify the question and specify whether you just need the bag to get you through security and:

1) risk being required to officially check the bag and have the bag await you at baggage claim
2) have the bag make it to the plane, but be gate-checked aka pink-tagged and you can pick it up in the jet-bridge after the flight or
3) actually make it onto the plane in the passenger compartment with you.

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:17 pm

Also are you planning on using it for overseas travel? Their limits are often times smaller than in the US.

Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:20 pm

alas, that’s almost unanswerable... an Embraer luggage area is smaller than most others, etc.
also, as a revenue source, airlines have been reducing sizes for years...and if I remember a few have been tightening the weight limits even more
( there’s even been discussions on weighing passengers, given that passenger weight is usually calculated as 180 lb/each, as the weight has been going up per person and thus the fuel costs per passenger has also gone up. while the weighing of passengers for safety reasons, ie to balance loads, has been viewed as acceptable... having heavier passengers (beyond those who need to purchase two seats for their girth) hasn’t yet been given the go ahead by the DOT... hence they try to get incremental increases in areas that they can. I suspect that the weight limits per piece will drop... leaving the idea of overhead storage for anything but the smallest of pieces a distant memory.)
Last edited by Nestegg_User on Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:44 pm

Any chance to reduce what you bring with you? I used to travel for a living and survived by only carrying what would fit under the seat in front of me. Plenty of times where I get onto the plane and the overheads are all full.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:47 pm

The tiny planes often require that you gate check your roller bags. I've taken to using an enormous backpack. I find it easier than dragging a roller bag, also. And I can use it to carry my stuff (hat, camera, charger, sunglasses, etc.) when out and about at my destination.

Brand loyalty helps with airlines. The first level of status includes the ability to get early boarding and pick overhead space.

Hillview

Post by Hillview » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:17 pm

Flyertalk is a great resource. As others have said depends on what airline and even what aircraft you are on and where you are traveling. IME people tend to split between roller bags and backpacks (I prefer the backpacks now -- love Tom Bihn). Roller bags people split btwn high end Tumi or Briggs and Riley (I moved from Tumi to Briggs after some quality issues with Tumi) and Costco roller bags (cheap and replaceable).

Exterous

Post by Exterous » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:34 pm

Luggage that comes in around the standard carry on luggage dimensions won't work on:
Bombadier CRJ200, 700 and 900
Embraer 145

They do work on pretty much anything else including the Embraer 170, 175 and 190 (Assuming the overheads aren't already full of someone else's luggage)

Even if you get a suitcase small enough for the first planes AA (well their regional partner really) won't typically allow luggage with wheels in the cabin regardless of whether it fits or not. Delta is less strict about this so I've seen small rollaboards onboard.

If we're talking brands there are two schools of thought. One school buys very high quality bags from Rimowa, Briggs and Riley or Tumi. These tend to be very durable bags with good warranties to cope with the basing they get. Another school (mine) buys from well known but lesser quality brands like TravelPro, Delsey and Samsonite. These tend to be much less expensive allowing a greater ease of assembling a variety for various travel needs. You can go through several suitcases and still come in under the price of one B&R or Tumi bag

j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:39 pm

Leave it to the boglehead forums to take a simple question and complicate it to the nth degree.

First of all: you don't want a four wheel spinner. They are junk, and the wheels are garbage. Sorry, but I can't give you info about those, as I don't use them.

I have, and would recommend, Eagle Creek. I have the 26" version for checked luggage and the 22" carry on. If you fly international, on international carriers, they may have smaller allowances, so Eagle Creek makes an international version.

Standard: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M0MHT ... ref=plSrch

International: https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-Tarm ... B01LYZY4D0

Sorry for the crappy links, I searched and copy / pasted.

spectec

Post by spectec » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:47 pm

Here's my favorite.
https://shop.highsierra.com/summer-trav ... ck&start=9

The daypack is detachable, so it can be unzipped, removed, and placed under the seat in front of you as a "personal item" if you can't get it into the overhead bin beside, on top of, or behind the main pack. I use it for domestic and international travel, on all types & sizes of aircraft. Have only had to gate-check it twice in the past 4-5 years - once on a full flight when I boarded late, and another time on a small commuter aircraft overseas. I think four wheels are a waste of weight and space - they will often limit your ability to get your bag into some overhead bins. This bag has two wheels and a bar across the front which allows it to stand on its own just like a spinner.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

il0kin

Post by il0kin » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:13 pm

Travelpro makes excellent quality luggage at reasonable prices. I have a 6 or 7 year old carry-on bag that has been through many, many flights from my consulting days as well as personal travel. It looks as good and functions just as well as the day I purchased it.

Exterous

Post by Exterous » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:43 pm

j0nnyg1984 wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:39 pm
First of all: you don't want a four wheel spinner. They are junk, and the wheels are garbage.
That seems awfully presumptuous. I'm quite happy with my 4 wheel spinners which have done miles of travel over cobblestone roads without issue.

It would perhaps be more useful to illustrate the pros and cons of a spinner:

Pros:
- easier to roll down the aisle
- less strain when rolling through airport or other smoother surfaces
- much less strain if you put another bag on your rolling suitcase
- can be dragged like a 2 wheeler, if necessary
- more luggage options for both hard and soft case
- easier to maneuver in close quarters since you can push it right next to your body as opposed to dragging behind

Cons:
- slightly less storage as the extra 2 wheels take away from luggage space
- wheels can be a more common failure point. That said I've had other pieces break on my luggage before any of my wheels regardless of spinner vs roller
- tougher to maneuver on uneven surfaces and likes to roll away if not watched

Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:56 pm

j0nnyg1984 wrote:
Leave it to the boglehead forums to take a simple question and complicate it to the nth degree.
you are welcome :)

(...and I didn’t even mention in my previous post what happened when in an old Metroliner...hint, they asked your weight to try load balancing...forget about on board luggage) {and I can’t remember the oddball planes I flew out of from places like Kalamazoo , LaCrosse, and other small airports back in the day... many had no overhead compartments}

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:02 pm

I downsized to a 17" to 19" bag several years ago when everyone started overloading the "carry on's" and the airlines were "gate checking" a lot of bags.
Something like this or smaller. Anything that looks obviously smaller than everyone else.
Amazon: Samsonite 19" spinner.
https://www.amazon.com/Samsonite-Might ... Samsonite
Samsonite 17" spinner. (what I use most)
https://www.amazon.com/Samsonite-Silh ... 79TQ84MF95
When I travel I have this bag and a small photography backpack. Nothing else. No check in.
Also, will have far fewer to zero hassles for carry on luggage if flying First Class.
j :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:07 pm

Exterous wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:43 pm
Pros:
- easier to roll down the aisle
- less strain when rolling through airport or other smoother surfaces
- much less strain if you put another bag on your rolling suitcase
- can be dragged like a 2 wheeler, if necessary
- more luggage options for both hard and soft case
- easier to maneuver in close quarters since you can push it right next to your body as opposed to dragging behind

Cons:
- slightly less storage as the extra 2 wheels take away from luggage space
- wheels can be a more common failure point. That said I've had other pieces break on my luggage before any of my wheels regardless of spinner vs roller
- tougher to maneuver on uneven surfaces and likes to roll away if not watched
+1, exactly my experience. If most of your travel involves airports and airplanes, a four-wheel spinner has a huge advantage. I recommend Briggs and Riley for their quality and warranty.

j0nnyg1984, I'm all for simplicity, but is it really helpful to just say an entire category of product is junk? Are, say, all double-breasted suits junk because you prefer single?

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:35 am

What a great thread! It is pretty much like all the threads on luggage and there are quite a few.

OK, if the OP wants a 4-wheel spinner, I can say I bought one and used it, then gave it to my spouse. I got a cheap TravelPro at TuesdayMorning. It is unremarkable, fits in overhead bins of planes bigger than a regional jet, so that means 737 and bigger. It gate-checks easily. I've never tried to put it under seat, but think that would be a huge hassle. It weighs 7.3 lbs which means if they are limiting the weight of your carry-on luggage, you have to pack it lighter. My spouse loves it and uses it about 15 times a year. This luggage is 9 x 14 x 24 inches,

In contrast, I prefer my wheel-less E-bags TLS Motherlode which weighs 4.1 lbs, will fit in overhead on regional jets and the larger aircraft. It gate-checks, too. I've also checked it without any problems and a nice compliment from the ticket agent and from other passengers standing in line.
Last edited by livesoft on Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

AlwaysaQ

Post by AlwaysaQ » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:55 am

On American, Delta, and United anything wider than 14" won't fit in the bag sizer if they make you use it. They all say 22X14X9 is the max size. Sandtrap's 19" Samsonite spinner is said by Samsonite to be 15" wide.

I have been looking for a carry-on and haven't found one yet that fits the 22x14x9 size. Many fit the old 45 total inch size but are either wider than 14 or deeper than 9.

I will admit that the last time I flew I didn't have to put my bag in the sizer so I got away being a little over the written limits.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:11 am

AlwaysaQ wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:55 am
On American, Delta, and United anything wider than 14" won't fit in the bag sizer if they make you use it. They all say 22X14X9 is the max size. Sandtrap's 19" Samsonite spinner is said by Samsonite to be 15" wide.

I have been looking for a carry-on and haven't found one yet that fits the 22x14x9 size. Many fit the old 45 total inch size but are either wider than 14 or deeper than 9.

I will admit that the last time I flew I didn't have to put my bag in the sizer so I got away being a little over the written limits.
Spirit max carry on (free: they call it personal item....a carry on costs money) is 18x14x8.

I use that as the standard and make sure I'm not over.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:52 am

j0nnyg1984 wrote:
Actually this is the airlines making it complicated. Basically there are at least three things OP would need to consider:

US airlines have a pretty generous carry on size. This generally doesn't have a weight limit.
However US (and other airlines) have aircraft that have overhead bins too small for the standard US carry-on. So if OP doesn't want to gate check then he has to go smaller than this standard.
Foreign airlines generally have tighter restrictions on size and often on weight. The weight of a roll-aboard empty will eat up a lot of that weight limit.

OP really needs to give us some more details. On his requirements considering the above criteria.

I use the Tom Bihn Aeronaut 30L: https://www.tombihn.com/products/aerona ... 6381009159 and so far it has fit in every overhead bin have tried including the Embraer 145 (though it was tight). But of course it is not a roll-aboard. This is the only bag I use when I travel at least 90% of the time.

L8rboys

Post by L8rboys » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:59 am

My DD travels 25% of the time and loves her Away bag - "The Carry-On". With its 21.7" x 13.7" x 9" size, it fits every airline she has traveled on thus far. (They have a slighter larger carry-on option as well but she wanted one that should never need to be gate checked.) The company has excellent reviews, and they replaced a bag for her without question including shipping the new one to her before receiving her old one. It has great features like a a built-in battery to charge your phone/computer, four wheels, interior compression system, etc., so it holds a lot for its size. It's not necessarily cheap at $225 but she feels it was worth it.

Good luck with your travels!

autolycus

Post by autolycus » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:22 pm

If you are dead set on a rolling bag, I have always appreciated my Briggs & Riley bag over the cheaper ones my wife or I have had in the past. They are built very well, have an unbeatable warranty.

If you fly internationally, especially to Asia and Oceania, keep in mind that some airlines have very strict weight limits and a rolling bag could likely eat up half or more of the weight limit even empty. Also, some international airlines are more strict than others with sizing, so I would recommend being very conservative with what size bag you get and keeping in mind that the dimensions listed by luggage makers usually do not include the handle and wheels. The airlines' dimensions do include the handle and wheels, and I have seen plenty of people with "carry-on" bags that would never fit in any airline sizer.

Now... if you're willing to consider another option, I will third the recommendation for a Tom Bihn bag. The Aeronaut (either 30L or 45L) is an amazingly versatile bag. It is comfortable to carry as a backpack or as a shoulder bag (with the Absolute Shoulder Strap) and is easily converted back and forth. Because it's a soft bag, it can squeeze into a lot of overhead bins that a rolling bag would never get into. It also isn't picked out by airline staff for gate check unless the bins are literally full. I can easily fit a week worth of clothing in my A45 except maybe for winter in Norway. My wife can do the same with her A30. It is extremely well constructed and made out of very durable materials. It will survive more trauma than most hard-sided bags and will protect its contents just as well as any other carry-on--afterall, the whole point of carry-on is that the bag is in your control the entire time, so you decide how much abuse it gets, not someone else. Doesn't matter that it can't have a 100 lb bag thrown on top and still have fragile contents smashed because you're not going to be throwing a 100 lb bag on top of it.

head gamez

Post by head gamez » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:34 pm

I put 340k miles and 132 segments on a cheap travel pro 21” hard side spinner last year. The pull up handle finally broke. Replaced it with a cheap ebags 21” hardside spinner. It’s on its way to 350k miles and 125+ segments this year. I’ll buy another when this one dies.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:48 am

livesoft wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:35 am
What a great thread! It is pretty much like all the threads on luggage and there are quite a few.

OK, if the OP wants a 4-wheel spinner, I can say I bought one and used it, then gave it to my spouse. I got a cheap TravelPro at TuesdayMorning. It is unremarkable, fits in overhead bins of planes bigger than a regional jet, so that means 737 and bigger. It gate-checks easily. I've never tried to put it under seat, but think that would be a huge hassle. It weighs 7.3 lbs which means if they are limiting the weight of your carry-on luggage, you have to pack it lighter. My spouse loves it and uses it about 15 times a year. This luggage is 9 x 14 x 24 inches,

In contrast, I prefer my wheel-less E-bags TLS Motherlode which weighs 4.1 lbs, will fit in overhead on regional jets and the larger aircraft. It gate-checks, too. I've also checked it without any problems and a nice compliment from the ticket agent and from other passengers standing in line.
We have about 6 carry-on rollaboards in the house of various vintages. Mostly Costco but a couple of others. But my new go-to bag for most solo travel is also the TLS Motherload from E-Bags as recommended by LiveSoft. Love it because it makes and extremely good electronics bag in addition to luggage. Very nice spaces for my travel iPad and various electronics. Very easy to carry. And I've never not been able to carry it aboard even the most tiny regional jets that automatically turn back wheeled carry-on bags at the gate for gate-checking. You can really cinch it down small if you don't overfill it: https://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/mot ... ble/143101 It is small enough when cinched down that you can carry it around cities without looking like you are really carrying luggage. It kind of just looks like a large business laptop brief. So it is great for travel when you want a bag for carrying around town as well.

Of course if you want a 4-wheel rollaboard knock yourself out. There are a bunch out there and they are all fairly similar. But you will most definitely add weight (which kills you for some international travel) and you will lose space (which can affect you on most travel).

Ilikesparklers

Post by Ilikesparklers » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:58 am

livesoft wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:35 am

I have the Eagle Creek Expanse AWD Carry-On. It's a 4 wheel spinner that's 13.75 x 22 x 9 in (inclusive of wheels). A lot of bags give the dimensions excluding the wheels. It's a great little bag that's expandable. I can pack over a week of traveling in it. Lots of handles for easy lifting. Eagle Creek has an excellent lifetime warranty too.

My other slightly lager 2 wheel carry-on is also Eagle Creek, which I've had for nearly 10 years. It's been to numerous countries. I've never been turned away when trying to carry it on. It's also been through lots of baggage checks and is still in very good condition.