Dealing with poorly assigned hotel rooms?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
z91

Dealing with poorly assigned hotel rooms?

Post by z91 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:33 am

It's 11:30pm in California now, and our family just got completely hosed on a hotel room. I have two little ones and they couldn't sleep because the people in the room upstairs decided to throw some kind of mini marathon and they are literally running back and forth stammering their feet for 15 minutes with no end in sight. No idea what they are doing, but hotel staff have called (no answer), and when they go up there they stop and then start it up again. Hotel staff have been in our room and agree they are being loud.

They know we have complained so they are doing it even louder now.. Didn't think that was possible!

The hotel staff said they couldn't do anything about it reimbursement-wise, because they don't have control over their guests. I told them I'd be sending a letter to their management with their names as "witnesses" of the incident asking for a refund.

We checked out and I booked a rack rate at another local hotel because we need sleep! If I were by myself I'd just put on ear plugs, but it's a no go for two young kids.

Is there anything I can do further to get a refund or some kind of reimbursement from the original hotel? It's a $300+ a night room.. FWIW I booked through a larger hotel bookings site, and paid using a Fidelity Visa card. I'm guessing no, but figured I'd ask.

They couldn't offer other rooms because they were fully booked, otherwise that may have been an option.

jlawrence01

Re: Dealing with poorly assigned hotel rooms?

Post by jlawrence01 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:46 am

My general rule about noise in hotel room is that the first call goes to the front desk. The second call goes to the police on a non-emergency call.

I do not understand why they could not move you to another room if need be.

Honestly, I would not have believed that the noise could have been that bad above you but .... I encountered a very similar thing at a hotel in Joelton, TN last November.

z91

Post by z91 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:52 am

[OT comments removed by admin LadyGeek (quoted post was removed)]
jlawrence01 wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:46 am
My general rule about noise in hotel room is that the first call goes to the front desk. The second call goes to the police on a non-emergency call.

Honestly, I would not have believed that the noise could have been that bad above you but .... I encountered a very similar thing at a hotel in Joelton, TN last November.
They couldn't move us because there was nowhere else to move us. They were fully booked.

And yes, the noise was that bad. It sounded like someone was playing one of those dancing games stomping away at the arrows, only the machine was also running away from them at the same time.

I'm hoping a firm letter to their hotel management results in a refund. If not, I guess maybe twitter and/or facebook?

jumppilot

Post by jumppilot » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:04 am

Be loyal to a particular brand of hotel and book from their website. You may find more willingness to help you during times like these.

I had to cancel a 2 night stay with Marriott after normal check in time. I forfeited the amount paid, but a call to customer service explaining the situation resulted in a refund.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:07 am

Not sure what you expect management to do if there are no rooms left. Always book a top floor - for that you may need to check in as soon as possible. Show up at 6 pm and your options are limited. Most hotels are so cheaply constructed. Just the simple pitter-patter of feet can reverberate. Maybe the people below you are wondering about your (inadvertent, of course) noise.

tainted-meat

Post by tainted-meat » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:31 am

I travel quite a bit for work and there is almost always someone being loud and/or slamming doors in hotels.

If someone is being loud I knock on their door and politely ask them to keep it down. It almost always works.

In the few cases that someone continues to be loud late into the night, I simply knock on their door loudly 5 or 6 times early the next morning right before I check out :twisted: .

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:32 am

Leave a garbage review on every single travel website out there (tripadvisor, yelp, etc.).

I did this after staying in a subpar hotel room a few years back, and the hotel management saw the review and refunded all my money.

LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:38 am

My general rule is I book my hotel rooms directly with the hotel. I have had a couple bad experiences (gotten THE worst room in hotel) that tells me it's not worth it to save a few bucks through a booking site. I think you might be experiencing the same. I would complain through the booking site though and I would contest it on my credit card. Plus, I'd probably leave a bad review for the hotel. Bummer this has happened to you.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:39 am

Which hotel chain was this? Name them and call them out.

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:43 am

jlawrence01 wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:46 am

I agree completely on the two calls rules. For the second item, I'd call management after the fact and explain what happened, how the hotel was unable to resolve your situation, and what you did, and ask them to refund your room. Don't threaten the reviews (or anything in particular) if they don't, but be sure to leave the reviews if management is unable to help you out.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_

Rick Rock

Post by Rick Rock » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:48 am

Two comments (one less helpful to your situation than the other)...

1) Generally, the sooner you recognize the issue, the better. It's a lot easier for you and the hotel to move or reaccommodate you if you find that the room is unacceptable for whatever reason right after you check in. I totally get how your hand is forced when you're traveling with little kids and it's late... but it's easier to deal with the problem then vs. 3-4 hours into your stay when the nagging issue becomes a real problem.

2) If your issue isn't resolved and you make it through the night, register your complaint at check out. In my experience, hotel desk staff has enormous latitude to resolve an issue - including knocking hundreds of dollars off of your bill based on the nature of your complaint - without even getting a manager involved. Raising your experience at check out will be much more effective and more expeditious than returning home, drafting your strongly worded letter, and devoting time to the process.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:49 am

This is why we stay at a single family house whenever we go somewhere thru VRBO. I gave up with hotels. Once I had to go outside and physically threaten the piece of garbage that was making noises. Another time the couple next door decided to have super loud indoor sport noises.

We've found that at hotels people are just inconsiderate. They slam the doors, rump all over the upstairs floors, talk loud in the halls, and keep the TV blasting.

I'm not sure what I would have done in your case, but generally I asked to be moved...(thinking about it we've been moved several times)... but I do know that generally if someone pisses me off and keeps doing it to antagonize me I would have gone up there myself and either gotten into a verbal or physical altercation with them and then see where the chips fall.

Boglegrappler

Post by Boglegrappler » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:55 am

Is there anything I can do further to get a refund or some kind of reimbursement from the original hotel? It's a $300+ a night room.. FWIW I booked through a larger hotel bookings site, and paid using a Fidelity Visa card. I'm guessing no, but figured I'd ask.
Write a non-ranting, self-controlled letter to the CEO of the Hotel Company (the parent company, not the local manager. You can look it up online.) expressing how much you typically like their accommodations, and noting how disappointed you were with your latest stay. Ask if there is any advice to you for the future if such a thing should occur again. The more sincere and less belligerent you are, the more likely the person with the power to help you will use it.

Keep the letter as short as possible, while providing adequate details. Executives can deal with people who have a "business-like gripe". They will shun situations where the person seems irrational. Make sure to tell them how great you think they are normally; no one wants to assist someone who has already decided that they are the lowest of the low.

Good luck.

hudson

Post by hudson » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:00 am

Your money was good; you didn't get your money's worth. The vendor owes you.
If it was me, if time was available, I would make it my mission in life to request get my money back...plus extra for the trouble.
I would call, write letters, do reviews, file a Better Business Bureau complaint. I would do a chargeback on my credit card. I would write the president of the company and all of the board members. I would never communicate anger...no threats....just the facts...and I would communicate my specific expectations. I wouldn't do one thing then wait for the company to do something; I would just do it all. Again, your money was good...the service was terrible. Don't expect for them to follow up on any promises until you get payment or acceptable payback in hand. Companies can be very good at giving great lip service...and not real service. Of course, I would log everything that I did with full details.

Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:02 am

First call to the desk. If noise continues recall the front desk and ask them to call the police. Still no effect? Call the police yourself.

Police will act (after certain hours) to quell disturbances of the peace. That is their job. Not your job. Don't put yourself at peril, physically and/or legally by "punching anybody in the nose". Hotel management will NOT want their facility on the local police's watch sheet.

Afterwards, write all the letters you want. If you don't get satisfaction, there's always the reviews.

sport

Post by sport » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:03 am

We have been using Hampton Inn hotels. Right on the counter where you check in they have a sign that you must be satisfied with your room or you do not have to pay for it. On one road trip, our room was not properly cleaned, and I complained when we checked out. It was not terrible, so I did not ask for any adjustment of the cost. On the return trip, we happened to stay in the same room at that hotel. It was still not properly cleaned, and I was angry about that, since I had reported the problem a week or two before. I took them up on their satisfaction guaranteed offer and refused to pay for the room. They balked, but I insisted and ended up not paying. I would think that some of the other Hilton brand hotels would have a similar guarantee. We stay at Hampton because we are almost always happy with the hotel, and the prices are reasonable for what they offer.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:06 am

If the staff confirmed that the disturbance was real and couldn't stop it they should have called the police or moved you to another room or both. Since they didn't have another room, they should have gotten you and equivalent or better room at another hotel or at least facilitated it, same as they would if they had overbooked.

Since they didn't do this and you had to move, do a chargeback with the credit card company if a simple phone call to corporate doesn't result in a refund. Don't let the deadline for a chargeback come and go while trying to get the hotel to refund you.

HongKonger

Post by HongKonger » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:22 am

Pajamas wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:06 am
If the staff confirmed that the disturbance was real and couldn't stop it they should have called the police or moved you to another room or both. Since they didn't have another room, they should have gotten you and equivalent or better room at another hotel or at least facilitated it, same as they would if they had overbooked.

Since they didn't do this and you had to move, do a chargeback with the credit card company if a simple phone call to corporate doesn't result in a refund. Don't let the deadline for a chargeback come and go while trying to get the hotel to refund you.
This.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:25 am

I think you can resolve this by working with the manager on duty right now. I'd call or go back right now since it happened last night and they could already be giving compensation to other people in nearby rooms. If that doesn't work you can escalate.

sfnerd

Post by sfnerd » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:30 am

runner3081 wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:17 am
unclescrooge wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:43 am
If it was me, I'd go upstairs and punch someone in the mouth. I'm pretty mellow and easy going, but I'm not one to shy away from violence with unreasonable people.

It's been a decade since I've had to resort to such measures but the few instances where I did, the results were quite satisfactory.
That is terrible advice.

Good way to end up dead, in jail and/or fighting a nice lawsuit.
Yes, not to mention against forum policy to suggest illegal behaviour. Skip getting shot in the face or sued and simply tell the hotel that you aren't getting a peaceful stay, and if they don't fix it for you you are going to charge back the night on your credit card. If they don't fix it, contest the charge.

If you booked through a booking site, call them and see what they can do. Often they actually have more leverage than the hotel because they can cancel the stay and rebook you at another property.

Good luck, but most of all be safe. One night's lodging charges aren't worth getting harmed, harming others, or ending up in a legal nightmare.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:35 am

SrGrumpy wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:07 am
Not sure what you expect management to do if there are no rooms left.
Evict the offenders, with the help of hotel security and/or the police.
Always book a top floor - for that you may need to check in as soon as possible. Show up at 6 pm and your options are limited. Most hotels are so cheaply constructed. Just the simple pitter-patter of feet can reverberate. Maybe the people below you are wondering about your (inadvertent, of course) noise.
Not everyone can book the hotel’s top floor as it often is an “executive” or “club” floor reserved for elite members of the hotel loyalty program. And bad neighbors can also live next door or down the hall. Have had that more than once.

And arriving early isn’t always an option either.

No, the only solution here would be to advise the staff that you will leave because the room is not habitable if they don’t get them to stop within 10 minutes, and that you will dispute the credit card charges, and file complaints with customer service at the parent chain and report the problem on tripadvisor, Flyertalk and other review sites. Their choice which group of guests they prefer to lose.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:39 am

A while back, I had noise problems with the folks staying in the room above mine and I called the front desk. Well, they attempted to ask the guests to quiet down, but it didn't last long.

So, I plugged my ears and slept for the night because I was very tired. However, I asked to speak to the manager the following morning and was able to move to another room.

So try to talk to the manager now and see if (s)he can do something.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:03 am

TravelGeek wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:35 am
SrGrumpy wrote:
That could take a few hours and cause even more of a disturbance. As I understand it, all the offenders were doing was walking/dancing (?) over the room. No partying or raised voices. Sure it's annoying as hell. I had a similar situation at a Motel 6 in Palo Alto, hence my top floor suggestion. I'm just not sure that hanging the franchisee out to dry on social media does much.

Next time: Airbnb.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:50 am

SrGrumpy wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:03 am
That could take a few hours and cause even more of a disturbance. As I understand it, all the offenders were doing was walking/dancing (?) over the room. No partying or raised voices. Sure it's annoying as hell. I had a similar situation at a Motel 6 in Palo Alto, hence my top floor suggestion. I'm just not sure that hanging the franchisee out to dry on social media does much.

I don’t know why Airbnb is a magic solution. We once rented a condo in HI with a competitor of AirBnB, and it was dirty and there was extremely noisy construction in the condo next door that wasn’t disclosed. Needless to say, we did not stay (that wasn’t a fixable situation for them; we got a refund).

Eviction shouldn’t take hours. A $300/night hotel should have on site security to deal with it. I am paying for a hotel room to get a good night’s sleep. If that is not what the hotel can provide, I give them 10 minutes to fix it, and then I am off to another property (the night is too short to hang around and wait, especially with kids).

Promising reviews on social media/Travel review sites is meant as an encouragement to the staff/management to get the situation fixed. Literally every time I stay at a hotel these days I get a post stay survey that also encourages me (at least if I give positive feedback) to post positive comments on Tripadvisor. I don’t know why you would call documenting the problem “hanging the franchisee out to dry” - it’s their responsibility to provide a safe, clean and quiet environment for me to sleep, and if they don’t, other future guests should be aware of that.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:59 am

The two times in my life this has happened, the hotel refunded the night in question, and evicted the people causing the problem. In one case, they bounced the people at 4:30 am. In the other case, the people were apologetic and paid for a second night for us themselves.

For people saying to call the police, most police won’t respond if they can’t hear the noise from outside the building. So someone having loud .... something.... in a high rise hotel won’t interest them.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:03 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:50 am
SrGrumpy wrote:

I don’t know why Airbnb is a magic solution. We once rented a condo in HI with a competitor of AirBnB, and it was dirty and there was extremely noisy construction in the condo next door that wasn’t disclosed. Needless to say, we did not stay (that wasn’t a fixable situation for them; we got a refund).
You just answered your own issue. Airbnb and the like are more responsive if things go wrong.

There may or may not be on-site security. It's a waste of police resources. You can blast the franchisee on TripAdvisor, but it probably won't solve anything. I empathize with OP, but you roll the dice with hotels, with travel in general.

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:25 pm

If I didn't think there was any danger, I would've paid a visit myself. I'd smile and say I wish i could party as well and I'm happy they're having a wonderful time, and then very kindly ask if they can party a bit quieter. I'd also consider buying them a pizza.

I've found the most peaceful and pleasant approach is most often the best and even if I'm unsuccessful I'd have taken the high ground.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:42 pm

SrGrumpy wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:03 pm
You just answered your own issue. Airbnb and the like are more responsive if things go wrong.
Do you have actual data to back up that assertion? In the situation I described above, we never dealt with VRBO; we called the owner directly to resolve the situation. Essentially the same as dealing with the local hotel manager on duty.

In the OP’s situation, what you want is to stay in your room and have the other guests stop making noise. That is the optimal solution that gives you the sleep you paid for without having to find another hotel and relocate your family there in the middle of the night. The problem with AirBnB style rentals is that a situation like the OP’s cannot be resolved by the company. They can’t call security and evict the owner of the unit above. There is much less flexibility and your only option basically is to leave.

And by the way, if that happened, would you not leave a negative review?

So bottom line, I don’t see AirBnB as a solution.
There may or may not be on-site security. It's a waste of police resources. You can blast the franchisee on TripAdvisor, but it probably won't solve anything. I empathize with OP, but you roll the dice with hotels, with travel in general.
Look, I stay at plenty of hotels every year. I have never had the need to leave a hotel prematurely due to such an issue. So it’s not like this is a common situation. I have called the front desk several times when other guests in the vicinity of my room were excessively noisy or stinking up the property with pot. Security and/or management showed up and resolved the situation. Unless the offender is a celebrity, I generally would not expect hotel management having a problem resolving the problem. If they don’t, well, then see above for what I would do.

I am happy to roll that dice, and I know what I would do if the need arises. You seem to prefer AirBnB... that is fine, to each their own. I use what is most appropriate for my needs.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:58 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:35 am
SrGrumpy wrote:
Always book a top floor - for that you may need to check in as soon as possible. Show up at 6 pm and your options are limited. Most hotels are so cheaply constructed. Just the simple pitter-patter of feet can reverberate. Maybe the people below you are wondering about your (inadvertent, of course) noise.
Not everyone can book the hotel’s top floor as it often is an “executive” or “club” floor reserved for elite members of the hotel loyalty program. And bad neighbors can also live next door or down the hall. Have had that more than once.

And arriving early isn’t always an option either.

No, the only solution here would be to advise the staff that you will leave because the room is not habitable if they don’t get them to stop within 10 minutes, and that you will dispute the credit card charges, and file complaints with customer service at the parent chain and report the problem on tripadvisor, Flyertalk and other review sites. Their choice which group of guests they prefer to lose.
Arriving early helps with room-related issues - e.g., room is not clean, noisy air-handling equipment, funky smells. It does not help with loud neighbors. In fact, almost all of the cases of obnoxiously loud neighbors I've encountered at hotels do not manifest themselves before 10 or 11 pm since alcohol is usually involved.

One thing i always check as soon as i get to my room is whether there is a connecting door to the room next door. I always ask for another room if this is the case since any sound deadening is compromised. Also request rooms that are away from the elevator and ice machine to minimize hall noise. But there is really no way to predict when you will have a noisy upstairs or next door neighbor.

There should be a night manager on duty who is authorized to find you another hotel room the same as they would do if they had overbooked and you had guaranteed your hotel room. Do not take a "no" answer from whoever gets stuck with being night clerk. These are generally the least experienced staff members - who are least likely to do anything on their own initiative. They would rather you just go away and leave them alone.

warner25

Post by warner25 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:19 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:50 am
SrGrumpy wrote:
...Next time: Airbnb.
I don’t know why Airbnb is a magic solution...
To me, the difference is that we can usually find a single-family home through Airbnb for the price of a nice hotel room (certainly for the price of two connecting rooms). I know that's not the case in every market, but we've had good luck in many places. With two little kids now, staying at hotels has a become a last resort, mainly because our kids go to bed at 7pm and my wife and I prefer to stay awake for a few more hours in a separate room, and very few hotels offer multi-room suites. Having things like a full kitchen and a driveway are great while traveling with the kids too.

I'm shocked that the hotel staff couldn't refund your entire payment after coming into the room in the middle of the night and hearing the noise for themselves.

Also interesting that people mention calling the police. What do you tell them? I would have never thought that police could or would respond for hotel room noise.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:34 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:42 pm
SrGrumpy wrote:
Do you have actual data to back up that assertion?
Absolutely. I arrived in Lima to find that the owner of the apartment was MIA. I texted Airbnb. They tried contacting her. No dice. So they put me up in a hotel for the duration of my stay. That's the only major mishap that springs to mind. One Airbnb was supposed to be "quiet." It was anything but: above a bar/restaurant. Travel rarely goes perfectly.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:37 pm

SrGrumpy wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:34 pm
TravelGeek wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:42 pm
SrGrumpy wrote:
Do you have actual data to back up that assertion?
Absolutely. I arrived in Lima to find that the owner of the apartment was MIA. I texted Airbnb. They tried contacting her. No dice. So they put me up in a hotel for the duration of my stay. That's the only major mishap that springs to mind. One Airbnb was supposed to be "quiet." It was anything but: above a bar/restaurant. Travel rarely goes perfectly.
You made a broad claim that AirBnB are more responsive than hotels when things go wrong. Backing up such a claim with a single data point (example) isn’t very convincing. Here is a counter example for VRBO by another Boglehead just today: viewtopic.php?p=3882261#p3882261

The funny thing is that the problem AirBnB solved for you wouldn’t have happened with a hotel :) When I book a hotel in a foreign city, it has always been there, with staff.

None of this discussion, though, actually helps the OP. They should contact their booking site (Online Travel Agent) to have the room charge refunded. If they refuse, go through credit card chargeback (product provided was defective).

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:24 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:37 pm

You made a broad claim that AirBnB are more responsive than hotels when things go wrong. Backing up such a claim with a single data point (example) isn’t very convincing. Here is a counter example for VRBO by another Boglehead just today: viewtopic.php?p=3882261#p3882261
I'm not the owner or publicist at Airbnb. I don't have access to their data. I gave you an example, on the heels of your own (also unconvincing?) example for VRBO - which is a different company, btw. And you counter with yet another anecdote from VRBO.
TravelGeek wrote:
The funny thing is that the problem AirBnB solved for you wouldn’t have happened with a hotel :) When I book a hotel in a foreign city, it has always been there, with staff.
True, but there were no appropriate hotels that filled my requirements in the specific part of Lima I wanted to be. C'est la vie. One in several hundred.
TravelGeek wrote:
None of this discussion, though, actually helps the OP.

Well, yeah!

Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:02 pm

We had noisy guests in the room next door deciding to have an "after the bars closed" session. A couple of calls to security, brief relief then noisy again. DW is pretty upset as she had to go into the office in a few hours. We toughed it out the best we could.
In the morning, as I packed up the last thing I did was to find 2 different Spanish TV stations, cranked up the volume on both TV's and checked out. I imagine the guests next door were into maybe hour 2 of sleep. My inner child was pleased anyway.

sambb

Post by sambb » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:05 pm

noise is par for the course when traveling.
Pay extra, go to a nicer hotel with thick walls (I am amazed at some of the silence in super luxury hotels), and bring ear plugs.
Good luck

jminv

Post by jminv » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:11 pm

If I am staying in a chain, I stay the night and complain to corporate after check out. I stay in boutique hotels much more often so I would complain to the booking site. I've always gotten something back from up to free night at chains to about 50% back from booking site. On a multi-night stay, chains will often give you enough points, if you're a reward member, to book the same category hotel for half the nights you stayed. I complain very infrequently, 1-2 stays a year travel >100 nights a year, and only if it was a serious issue. Last time was being harrassed by hotel employee and time before that was a dangerous electrical fault.

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:28 pm

We always travel with ear plugs, expensive or cheap hotel, it doesn't matter.
We were at a expensive hotel on a wedding party night, our room was by the pool/banquet area, very noisy until midnight.
We were in Asia and the bars/dance clubs down the street was having a great time until 2am.

Always travel with ear plugs.

lws6772

Post by lws6772 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:57 pm

Will do good wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:28 pm
We always travel with ear plugs, expensive or cheap hotel, it doesn't matter.
We were at a expensive hotel on a wedding party night, our room was by the pool/banquet area, very noisy until midnight.
We were in Asia and the bars/dance clubs down the street was having a great time until 2am.

These days I even take ear plugs to the library, to concentrate over the cell phone conversations. :shock:
Rule 1. Never lose money. Rule 2. Never forget Rule 1.

abeolii10

Post by abeolii10 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:59 pm

sambb wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:05 pm
noise is par for the course when traveling.
Pay extra, go to a nicer hotel with thick walls (I am amazed at some of the silence in super luxury hotels), and bring ear plugs.
Good luck
By any chance, do you know any luxury hotels that have thick walls? I go to their websites, but they seem to brag mostly about views,spa services, location or what have you, but not about less noise.

z91

Post by z91 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:54 pm

Will do good wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:28 pm
Mostly works for adults, but never for my kids. They hate the feeling and pull it out within seconds of putting them on. My kids were complaining the entire time the upstairs guests were making noise, so we had to get out of there.

z91

Post by z91 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:05 am

OP here, got an update.

I got a call from the manager at the original hotel who apologized for the behavior of their guests, and for not giving his staff the ability to deal with the situation (i.e., refund) immediately. He gave me a refund for the night, paid for my other hotel stay (through some kind of discretionary petty cash fund), and also offered me a free suite upgrade if I decide to come back (I probably will).

He wasn't able to tell me what was going on with the upstairs guests, but did tell me they were told to leave in the middle of the night and police were involved. Apparently many adjacent rooms complained about them as well.

denovo

Post by denovo » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:13 am

z91 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:05 am
OP here, got an update.

I got a call from the manager at the original hotel who apologized for the behavior of their guests, and for not giving his staff the ability to deal with the situation (i.e., refund) immediately. He gave me a refund for the night, paid for my other hotel stay (through some kind of discretionary petty cash fund), and also offered me a free suite upgrade if I decide to come back (I probably will).

He wasn't able to tell me what was going on with the upstairs guests, but did tell me they were told to leave in the middle of the night and police were involved. Apparently many adjacent rooms complained about them as well.
Glad it worked out.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln