Henderson, NV (Las Vegas suburb) Builder Quality

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
rhinopylon

Henderson, NV (Las Vegas suburb) Builder Quality

Post by rhinopylon » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:18 pm

Hi all, I'm thinking about moving to the Henderson area and have been interested in the Inspirada neighborhood. It will be my first planned community I'll live in so I'm interested in people's opinions on living in a planned community like this. Even better if you are familiar with this community firsthand!

I'm also considering new construction by Pardee builders. According to the research I can find, they have a pretty good reputation although it looks like they've had some issues with home built back in the early 90's. Everything recent appears as though they have good reviews and ratings. Does anyone have any personal experience with them?

denovo

Re: Henderson, NV (Las Vegas suburb) Builder Quality

Post by denovo » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:01 pm

I wouldn't care a bit about what resident homeowners think. They have no clue on how to assess builder quality. The inspectors know what's up.
Last edited by denovo on Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

GCD

Post by GCD » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:00 am

As Denovo said, homeowners generally have no clue how to assess quality. They look at the finish work and form their opinion based on how the house looks. They have no idea if they have a quality oven, let alone quality heater, sump pump, windows, shingles, foundation, etc.

If it's a spec home you are getting the lowest quality of everything because the general public doesn't want to pay more for something invisible, like a high quality sump pump, shingles or air filter. By the time you are working with the spec home builder and he is letting you "semi-custom" your home, you are just picking out paint and carpets. That stuff doesn't matter. The builder has already put in the cheapest microwave and plumbing he could find and you have no way to upgrade that.

As you go up in price, generally you are getting a bigger house, more amenities in the community and nicer landscaping. All fluff. You aren't getting better substantive quality. But it isn't really the builders fault. The general public would rather have more square footage and a community pool than quality appliances, floors that don't squeak and a great heater/air conditioner.

Yukon Jim

Post by Yukon Jim » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:46 pm

Perhaps the new homeowners don't have a good feeling for quality, but anyone who has had their Pardee home for a few years might be able to tell you about how many problems have developed in their homes and how responsive Pardee has been to fix their problems. Nevada has a construction defects law (chapter 40) that gives new homeowners 7 years of some degree of protection, which provides a fair amount of time for initially-undetected problems to develop and for homeowners to take action. I agree, however, that any info you can get from a professional home inspector on the builder's reputation would be valuable.

1dataman

Post by 1dataman » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:41 pm

Full disclosure I am a former Pardee Homes employee of 23 years. I retired 9 years ago and I purchased a Pardee Home about 1.5 years ago. Pardee is a major regional builder. They build in the following areas, San Diego, Inland Empire, LA / Ventura, and Las Vegas. They have been a homebuilder in Las Vegas for the past 65 years. They have a great reputation in the building industry. Inspirada in Henderson is a very popular Master Plan Community that Pardee Homes, in partnership with other builders, developed and currently have several different communities for sale. My recommendation, for what it is worth, is that Pardee Homes has been in Las Vegas longer than any other builder and has always maintained a great reputation and you should give them consideration in your purchase.

BruDude

Post by BruDude » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:11 am

Vegas resident here. Make sure you visit Inspirada in person if you haven’t, most of the houses are extremely close together with very small lots (like most master planned communities in Vegas).

Personally, I haven’t liked any of the Pardee models I looked at. Toll Brothers, Woodside, and William Lyon would be the builders I would look at first.

rvflyer

Post by rvflyer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:41 pm

Checkout Regency Summerlin as long as you are on the hunt. Toll Brothers is one of the builders if not the builder.