BH travel tips?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
JupiterJones

Re: BH travel tips?

Post by JupiterJones » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:17 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:32 am
Have you moved to a new apartment situated precisely at the magnetic north pole?
Fun fact: If she did, then the observed phenomenon would only last a few hours, since magnetic north drifts at a rate of several feet per day.

(Assuming the apartment is stationary relative to the earth and not on an ice floe going in the same direction or something like that...)
Stay on target...

halfnine

Post by halfnine » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:30 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:01 pm
The compass you have linked is not available on the REI site. Perhaps you meant this one?
Sorry for the confusion. The image of the compass I linked to looks nearly exactly to the one that I own. I was more trying to show that even a relative tiny compass bubble works adequately enough. I believe I originally bought mine not for the compass but for the tiny thermometer when I was doing some gear testing. I wasn't really planning on using the compass at all but it turned out to be more useful than I ever expected.

As for those who are wondering why to use a button compass instead of a cell phone. There are times when I would rather not be pulling out a cell phone. The button compass is much more discreet.
VictoriaF wrote:
Most of the Camino Frances is well marked with yellow arrows. And as its direction is straight East to West, the way can be derived from the shadows. However, in rare situations when you take a detour or the weather is so awful that the arrows are obscured by rain and fog, a compass can be very handy. But even in these situations precision is not necessary, distinguishing East from West can be enough.
I wasn't aware of that and as at some point I would like to spend some time on the Camino it's good to know. Thanks.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:48 pm

rjbraun wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:30 am
VictoriaF wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:41 pm
Bylo Selhi wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:54 am
VictoriaF wrote:
The compass you have linked is not available on the REI site. Perhaps you meant this one?
A minor digression: The thermometer on this and similar zipper pulls is useless in practice. They're normally so close to your body that their readings are significantly higher than ambient temperature.

Note too that almost all smartphones have a built-in compass. There are many free apps that use this to display direction and much more.
I am not really interested in a thermometer but I would accept it if it came with a good compass. As for your main point, you are right, of course, but I am a smartphone delinquent. I have purchased already the second phone that is still in the box.

Victoria
Victoria,

I am now in the market for a small compass, thanks to this thread, but I am not clear as to why you are. Are you not satisfied with the one available via the link you posted (reposted again below)? Personally, I would just as soon get 10 units for about the same price as one REI thermometer / compass, unless the Amazon ones are somehow deficient. The REI model comes with the less than useful thermometer and presumably add slightly more weight and is larger.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PS ... UM9N&psc=1

Thank you.

Edit: I just need a basic compass for the reasons cited (want to leave train station on arrival inconspicuously, etc.) and don't engage in orienteering or similar activities!
The Amazon compasses seem to satisfy my need. They are small, have a lanyard hole, and hopefully have at least 30 degree precision. It just does not feel right buying 10 compasses and then either finding place for 9 of them or throwing them away.

May be I'll use them as wedding gifts.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:32 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:48 pm
rjbraun wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:30 am
VictoriaF wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:41 pm
Bylo Selhi wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:54 am
VictoriaF wrote:
A minor digression: The thermometer on this and similar zipper pulls is useless in practice. They're normally so close to your body that their readings are significantly higher than ambient temperature.

Note too that almost all smartphones have a built-in compass. There are many free apps that use this to display direction and much more.
I am not really interested in a thermometer but I would accept it if it came with a good compass. As for your main point, you are right, of course, but I am a smartphone delinquent. I have purchased already the second phone that is still in the box.

Victoria
Victoria,

I am now in the market for a small compass, thanks to this thread, but I am not clear as to why you are. Are you not satisfied with the one available via the link you posted (reposted again below)? Personally, I would just as soon get 10 units for about the same price as one REI thermometer / compass, unless the Amazon ones are somehow deficient. The REI model comes with the less than useful thermometer and presumably add slightly more weight and is larger.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PS ... UM9N&psc=1

Thank you.

Edit: I just need a basic compass for the reasons cited (want to leave train station on arrival inconspicuously, etc.) and don't engage in orienteering or similar activities!
The Amazon compasses seem to satisfy my need. They are small, have a lanyard hole, and hopefully have at least 30 degree precision. It just does not feel right buying 10 compasses and then either finding place for 9 of them or throwing them away.

Victoria
Victoria:

Check out:
-eno sub7 hammock. Get some extension lines as well. Tiny, durable, works great
-Cocoon silk sheet
-lightweight sleeping pad
-sunscreen and bug repellant comes in "wipies" form now rather than liquid
-REI down throw blanket in its own stuff sack....I think around $40
-traveling clothesline
-lightweight high tech underwear and travel towel are worth the money- they dry very quickly, are very comfy...you don't have to pack much.
- If you have to carry much money in a place where it is risky, sew a pocket onto your underwear with a velcro opening. I have carried as much as $5000 in $100 bills this way- it did not show from the outside and was barely noticeable to me physically. Keep $100 or so in a pocket or a money belt as a decoy.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:46 pm

protagonist wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:32 pm
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
Victoria:

Check out:
-Cocoon silk sheet
-traveling clothesline
-lightweight high tech underwear and travel towel are worth the money- they dry very quickly, are very comfy...you don't have to pack much.
Hi Protagonist,

These are good suggestions, and I am already using some of them, particularly high-tech clothes and a quick drying towel. I did not know that sunscreen and bug repellent now come in wipes. I usually spray all my belongings with Permethrin which keeps bugs away even after several washes.

On the Camino I carry a light sleeping bag but don't need any other pads or sheets. Most albergues provide bunk beds with pillows, mattresses, disposable paper sheets and pillowcases, and even blankets. In a couple places, there is nothing except a mattress on the floor, but these places are the most fun.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:58 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:46 pm
protagonist wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:32 pm
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
Victoria:

Check out:
-Cocoon silk sheet
-traveling clothesline
Hi Protagonist,

These are good suggestions, and I am already using some of them, particularly high-tech clothes and a quick drying towel. I did not know that sunscreen and bug repellent now come in wipes. I usually spray all my belongings with Permethrin which keeps bugs away even after several washes.

On the Camino I carry a light sleeping bag but don't need any other pads or sheets. Most albergues provide bunk beds with pillows, mattresses, disposable paper sheets and pillowcases, and even blankets. In a couple places, there is nothing except a mattress on the floor, but these places are the most fun.

Victoria

If it is warm enough the silk cocoon sheet might substitute for a sleeping bag- that is all I used in Thailand on a 2 wk sailing trip this winter and it packs small enough to hold in one fist. The cocoon is also useful when staying in hotels with questionable linens, or if you have skin sensitivities to detergents they may use. The wipes are avail. at Walmart.

I also always board the plane wearing convertible pants w/ large pockets and a lightweight nylon rain jacket with large pockets. The pockets are good for carrying anything on board that might make your carry-on too bulky to meet requirements. It will also keep you warm on the plane. I take the down throw blanket on the plane as well....much better than the airline blankets and it doubles as a pillow in its stuff sack.

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:28 pm

VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
I would think the small compasses would make a memorable gift for travel friends, new or old.

canderson

Post by canderson » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:46 pm

I’m very late to this thread but was fortunate to travel with my parents from a very early age. The biggest thing I learned and now at 36 years old swear by is:

Buy that item. Book that hotel. Arrange that car service.

Vacation time is to short to scrimp.

purpleKatz

Post by purpleKatz » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:13 am

Most of my travel tips were already covered. Here are a few not yet mentioned.

Miscellaneous useful gadgets:
1) Fish toothbrush holder. Mostly so I can stash my bristles in the fish mouth without bringing a separate bag.
https://www.containerstore.com/s/clever ... d=11006616
2) Toiletry bag hanger. Easy to pack and unpack.

Car rentals:
1) Rental search: www.autoslash.com
2) Car Insurance: First choice = credit cards. Second choice = American Express Premium Car Rental Insurance Coverage. It's primary insurance for $12.25-$24.95 per rental period up to 42 days (not per day).

Hotel rooms:
1) For off-season, you can get remarkable deals last minute. Some sites advertise this like www.booking.com. Others will offer you a deal if you call them.
2) Priceline or Hotwire - use sites like www.betterbidding.com or www.biddinghelper.com and you have a very good chance of knowing which hotel you're bidding on.
3) Every few months, IHG (i.e. Holiday Inn, etc) offers point breaks hotels that allow you to swap as low as 5k points for specific hotel rooms. 5k points can be purchased for $67.50 and if you google, you can find easy ways of getting them cheaper. My days of staying at the Intercontinental Hanoi and Intercontinental Delhi for this price is in the past I think, but you can still find bargains.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:58 pm

rjbraun wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:28 pm
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
I would think the small compasses would make a memorable gift for travel friends, new or old.
You don't like my wedding gift idea?

Victoria

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:06 pm

I've traveled with a cheap and nasty duffel bag/backpack that just died on me after a decade of valiant service in upwards of 60 countries. So this past weekend, I spent $90 on an Eagle Creek "expanse hauler" duffel (after 25% coupon and free shipping at ebags):

https://www.ebags.com/product/eagle-cre ... fel/342068

I am excited, although it has way too many handles and straps, and I don't know if it will squeeze under the airplane seat. Anyone else have this model?

manuelku

Post by manuelku » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:30 pm

Hyperborea wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:39 pm
jayk238 wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:26 am
If youre travelling to europe and a country you are unfamiliar with - eg dont know language etc get Rick Steves. Probably the best travel advice book.
I like Rick Steves and his books but they only go so far and cover only certain locations in a country and with some predetermined routes. I like to use the Rough Guide series of books out of the UK when I travel and the Rick Steves book. They are quite complementary. The Rough Guide sits in that nice spot between the Lonely Planet series (too cheap) and the Fodors series (too expensive) and yet they have some info at both ends of the price scale too.

In the past, I would carry one and my wife the other in our luggage and then we would tear the pages out of the book for the region/city we were in and only carry those around for the day. No need to do that anymore - either get the electronic versions or snap pictures of that day's section of the book plus use Google Maps along with either Project Fi data/local SIM and/or predownload map data in advance (hotel wifi or at home).
This reminds me of a time in Rome where I rushed into a Mcdonalds to get to the bathroom and was very happy to see a stall open. After ahem getting started I noticed there was no paper in the stall. However I had a frommer's italy book with a lot of cities I'd already been too. Sacrificed Milan and most of Florence to the gods.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:42 pm

manuelku wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:30 pm
Hyperborea wrote:
jayk238 wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:26 am
If youre travelling to europe and a country you are unfamiliar with - eg dont know language etc get Rick Steves. Probably the best travel advice book.
I like Rick Steves and his books but they only go so far and cover only certain locations in a country and with some predetermined routes. I like to use the Rough Guide series of books out of the UK when I travel and the Rick Steves book. They are quite complementary. The Rough Guide sits in that nice spot between the Lonely Planet series (too cheap) and the Fodors series (too expensive) and yet they have some info at both ends of the price scale too.

In the past, I would carry one and my wife the other in our luggage and then we would tear the pages out of the book for the region/city we were in and only carry those around for the day. No need to do that anymore - either get the electronic versions or snap pictures of that day's section of the book plus use Google Maps along with either Project Fi data/local SIM and/or predownload map data in advance (hotel wifi or at home).
This reminds me of a time in Rome where I rushed into a Mcdonalds to get to the bathroom and was very happy to see a stall open. After ahem getting started I noticed there was no paper in the stall. However I had a frommer's italy book with a lot of cities I'd already been too. Sacrificed Milan and most of Florence to the gods.
Ah... yes... a "travel hint":

We save the last bits of toilet paper rolls, so there is about maybe 1/4 inch of TP still on the roll (+/-).

Collect a bunch of these, in prep for any travel (it can be surprising where one might *not* find TP!).

Then smash them each flat.
Put several of them into a quart-sized ziplock type bag, and suck the air out.
Depending upon length of travel, bring one or more of these.
When flat, they take up very little room, and one can even put just two into a "snack" sized ziplock type bag...

ALWAYS keep at least one such packet with you when traveling.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

manuelku

Post by manuelku » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:50 pm

Excellent idea, I usually have tissues in my pocket - good for lots of things. Alas that day in Rome I hadn't restocked. Nowadays wouldn't have a travel book along so I try to be more careful, electronic copies aren't much use in this situation...

fujiters

Post by fujiters » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:42 am

Hyperborea wrote:
I'm embarrassed I never thought to take pictures of sections of interest in guide books. Great idea!
“The purpose of the margin of safety is to render the forecast unnecessary.” -Benjamin Graham

Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:10 am

manuelku wrote:
After ahem getting started I noticed there was no paper in the stall. However I had a frommer's italy book...
Good thing it wasn't an, ahem, Rough guide ;)

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:29 am

Bylo Selhi wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:10 am
manuelku wrote:
After ahem getting started I noticed there was no paper in the stall. However I had a frommer's italy book...
Funny!

By the same token, if you carry "Let's Go" you will spend most of your travels in restrooms.

Also, travel has been greatly enhanced by Uber and AirBnB. They should create a shared toilet service in tourist destinations where bushes are not an option.

Victoria

c.coyle

Post by c.coyle » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:56 am

Roller luggage is needlessly bulky, harder to cram into overheads, encourages overpacking, generally has less usable interior space than the same dimension non-roller bag, and slows you down when moving through crowded airports. If you're healthy, get a lightweight travel backpack such as the Osprey Farpoint 40. You can carry it like a suitcase or put it on your back.

I also admit to a personal resentment towards travelers taking up the floor space of two people by dragging their roller bags behind them, or clunking fellow passengers when pulling them out of overheads.
Last edited by c.coyle on Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeeMKE

Post by LeeMKE » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:46 am

Lots of great tips. I just ordered a pack of compasses on lanyard clips from Amazon.

Here are mine that haven't shown up yet:
Rome2Rio.com
Great way to find out how to get from one place to another, via all available modes of transportation.
Inspirock.com
Type in a place, it offers a selection of highlights at your destination. Check off the ones you are interested in, how long you will be there, and it spits out an itinerary, organized to avoid wasting time traipsing over the same ground twice.

Try solid shampoos and conditioner. This eliminates the largest liquid/gel we carry, so we are able to put the toiletries in our carry on.
The mightiest Oak is just a nut who stayed the course.

Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:09 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:29 am
By the same token, if you carry "Let's Go" you will spend most of your travels in restrooms.
:D
Also, travel has been greatly enhanced by Uber and AirBnB. They should create a shared toilet service in tourist destinations where bushes are not an option.
Which raises another travel tip. Overseas it's not unusual to have to pay to use a toilet. This can be true even in the developed world like in Europe. Still there are many ways to avoid having to pay to go.

1. Train stations and bus terminals usually have free toilets. (But this is becoming less common, at least in my experience at large stations in DE, AT and CH.)

2. Department stores often provide free toilet facilities although they don't necessarily make them easy to find. Many department stores have restaurants or cafeterias. Look (or ask) for those and you'll find free restaurants nearby.

3. Restaurants. Coffee shops and fast food places are usually a good bet. Some may require that you buy something but that could be as little as a cup of coffee. Some fast food places now have digital locks on restrooms. They print the code on receipts so look for tables where the previous party has left the tray, often with their receipt.

4. Always carry small change for those times when you may have no choice but to pay. Ask a local what the usual coin is, e.g. €1, so you'll have the correct denomination to put in the slot.

Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:12 am

LeeMKE wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:46 am
Here are mine that haven't shown up yet:
Rome2Rio.com
Great way to find out how to get from one place to another, via all available modes of transportation.
An even better source for rail transportation is The Man in Seat Sixty-One . . .. This offers many money-saving tips for buying rail tickets as well as lots of information about trains, schedules, facilities, etc. world wide.

LeeMKE

Post by LeeMKE » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:10 am

+1
An even better source for rail transportation is The Man in Seat Sixty-One . . .. This offers many money-saving tips for buying rail tickets as well as lots of information about trains, schedules, facilities, etc. world wide.

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:11 pm

Bylo Selhi wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:10 am
manuelku wrote:
Aaaaand Bylo has won the thread. Thanks to everyone who participated. We can all go home now. :D
Stay on target...

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:49 pm

c.coyle wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:56 am
I also admit to a personal resentment towards travelers taking up the floor space of two people by dragging their roller bags behind them, or clunking fellow passengers when pulling them out of overheads.
Or stopping suddenly at the airplane threshold in order to push/pull the handle. Or the din these horrible bags make when being pulled across cobblestones or similar surfaces.

WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:13 pm

aprilcpa wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:42 am
I would love to hear some tips about traveling with shoes. We tend to pack at least two pairs of shoes - one pair of boots and another pair of everyday shoes, which makes it difficult to travel with only a carryon.

My travel packing revelation was that regardless of where I went, I could usually find a laundromat. Bring some Tide pods and some quarters and my packing became much lighter (other than the shoes).
I only bring two pairs of shoes. Dressy casual loafers that I wear on the plane or for dinner at a nicer restaurant. I also pack a pair of walking shoes or top siders for daily wear depending upon the destination and the activities involved. That’s it...

dbr

Post by dbr » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:25 pm

WestUniversity wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:13 pm
aprilcpa wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:42 am
I would love to hear some tips about traveling with shoes. We tend to pack at least two pairs of shoes - one pair of boots and another pair of everyday shoes, which makes it difficult to travel with only a carryon.

My travel packing revelation was that regardless of where I went, I could usually find a laundromat. Bring some Tide pods and some quarters and my packing became much lighter (other than the shoes).
I only bring two pairs of shoes. Dressy casual loafers that I wear on the plane or for dinner at a nicer restaurant. I also pack a pair of walking shoes or top siders for daily wear depending upon the destination and the activities involved. That’s it...
FWIW my days of carry-on for work got very short when there got to be a load of personal protective equipment for manufacturing work including steel toed work boots and other requirements. If your activities simply require actual hiking boots, actual waterproof clothing, storm gear, etc. then you are very possibly not going to carry on.

It is true that loafers for airplanes and good walking shoes go a long way. Hiking boot or not hiking boot can be a decision, and I am not wearing hiking boots through airports as might have fifty years ago.

LeeMKE

Post by LeeMKE » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:11 pm

SHOES

My feet are a bit tough to fit. Not unusual for me to wear 4 or 5 pair indoors for days, to find 1 pair that work.

So I was receptive when a Rick Steve’s guide posted a video about shoes. She carries 4 pair!

Rugged shoes for uneven surfaces
Street shoes for city sidewalks and museums
Sandals or lighter shoes for hot weather
Nicer shoes for “dressier” places.

I’ve never travelled with 4 pair of shoes, but I am planning to do so now.

Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:34 pm

dbr wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:25 pm
If your activities simply require actual hiking boots, actual waterproof clothing, storm gear, etc. then you are very possibly not going to carry on.
Not only that, but if you're doing that sort of activity then you're probably also bringing stuff like a pocket knife, hiking poles(*), etc. that you can't put into carry-on.

(*) I do realize that some people do this without incident. I'm not going to gamble my $200 pair on the whims of some random security officer in a foreign country. For the record, TSA's verdict, "Hiking Poles [in] Carry On Bags: No"

WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:30 pm

I only pack what fits in a carryon and a backpack. If it doesn’t fit it doesn’t go...

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:44 pm

LeeMKE wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:11 pm

I’ve never travelled with 4 pair of shoes, but I am planning to do so now.
I've never owned 4 pair of shoes.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:19 am

dbr wrote:
It is true that loafers for airplanes and good walking shoes go a long way. Hiking boot or not hiking boot can be a decision, and I am not wearing hiking boots through airports as might have fifty years ago.
If I am taking hiking boots at all, I always wear them in airports. They are usually the heaviest item I carry. And if my boots were lost with checked in luggage, they would be very difficult to replace which would spoil my trip.

Victoria

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:26 am

While reading travel blogs, I recently came across several incidents in which people carrying food into the United States paid heavy fines and lost their Global Entry status. Most of these people did not try to undermine the American agriculture or even to sneak in foreign delicacies. They forgot about pieces of food, or did not feel it right to throw food away.

In one case, a flight attendant gave out apples in the morning after an overnight flight. A passenger was not hungry, put the apple into her bag, and forgot about it. At the customs, she was fined $500.

The moral is: DO NOT bring any food into the U.S. without properly declaring it.

Victoria

LeeMKE

Post by LeeMKE » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:02 am

Train travel in Europe: blades longer than 3"

I just saw last night that trains (not sure whether all or just a few lines) do not allow knives with long blades. We have a chef's knife in our checked bag, which will be carried on the trains. Anyone have experience on this?

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:14 am

LeeMKE wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:02 am
Train travel in Europe: blades longer than 3"

I just saw last night that trains (not sure whether all or just a few lines) do not allow knives with long blades. We have a chef's knife in our checked bag, which will be carried on the trains. Anyone have experience on this?
No direct experience with knives but the only times I recall luggage screening for trains in Europe was in Spain (for sure) and the Eurostar (not 100% sure it has been a while). That said I am not sure I would want to contravene a local law like that even if the odds of being caught were rather low (in the absence of screening).

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:15 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:19 am
dbr wrote:
If I am taking hiking boots at all, I always wear them in airports. They are usually the heaviest item I carry. And if my boots were lost with checked in luggage, they would be very difficult to replace which would spoil my trip.

Victoria
+1

My boots are important lol - I can replace flip flops and the heaviest stuff comes with me on the plane.

Loafers aren't going to help me in hikes or mountains and I doubt the animals care what I look like. Good boots and socks :D
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:19 am

Bylo Selhi wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:34 pm
dbr wrote:
If your activities simply require actual hiking boots, actual waterproof clothing, storm gear, etc. then you are very possibly not going to carry on.
Not only that, but if you're doing that sort of activity then you're probably also bringing stuff like a pocket knife, hiking poles(*), etc. that you can't put into carry-on.

(*) I do realize that some people do this without incident. I'm not going to gamble my $200 pair on the whims of some random security officer in a foreign country. For the record, TSA's verdict, "Hiking Poles [in] Carry On Bags: No"
Interesting. My experience is the opposite. The U.S. is the one country I can count on to ALLOW me to take poles on carry on. I didn't even know about the TSA policy- clearly the airports I've been in have folks that don't care as they're clearly visible.

I have had poles rejected in numerous countries (carry on). In Italy the security guard "stole" them. I say "stole" because he knew I had 1 checked bag which was already gone, and worse, he asked for "lessons" in how to use the poles. Bottom line is he knew my choices were limited to leaving my poles with him, or missing my flight.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

rennale

Post by rennale » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:47 pm

Well, (having not read the entire thread) here are two simple ideas that have served me well:

1/ On the flight out put the airline's blanket all over you prior to the meals, so it acts as a huge napkin. Then, when you've inevitably spilt wine/food all over yourself before you've even got to your destination you won't have destroyed one of your few sets of clothing!

2/ Before you leave use Google Maps to bring up a map of your destination(s). Then type "OK Maps" in the Google Maps search window. This will download the map into your phone so that you will have it even when you find yourself in a place with no signal.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:07 pm

rennale wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:47 pm
Well, (having not read the entire thread) here are two simple ideas that have served me well:

1/ On the flight out put the airline's blanket all over you prior to the meals, so it acts as a huge napkin. Then, when you've inevitably spilt wine/food all over yourself before you've even got to your destination you won't have destroyed one of your few sets of clothing!

2/ Before you leave use Google Maps to bring up a map of your destination(s). Then type "OK Maps" in the Google Maps search window. This will download the map into your phone so that you will have it even when you find yourself in a place with no signal.
1) sounds brilliant.

2) do this always. It is a good idea.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:27 pm

^ I don't touch those travel blankets. Even the ones wrapped in plastic bags have long strands of hair and other detritus. If anything, I'd use them as seat cushions to provide a modest barrier against years of embedded human waste.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:31 pm

SrGrumpy wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:27 pm
^ I don't touch those travel blankets. Even the ones wrapped in plastic bags have long strands of hair and other detritus. If anything, I'd use them as seat cushions to provide a modest barrier against years of embedded human waste.
Then maybe it isn't so brilliant.

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:52 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:58 pm
rjbraun wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria

Victoria
Yes, I think it's the perfect gift for newlyweds to pack on their honeymoon!

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:10 pm

rjbraun wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:52 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:58 pm
rjbraun wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria

Victoria
Yes, I think it's the perfect gift for newlyweds to pack on their honeymoon!
Right on!
On the honeymoon, things get so convoluted that it's hard to tell which way is North.

Victoria

obafgkm

Post by obafgkm » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:07 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:10 pm

On the honeymoon, things get so convoluted that it's hard to tell which way is North.
Then it's being done right!
:P

moehoward

Post by moehoward » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:34 am

I replied that we don't carry drivers license and a few people commented about alternate IDs. Our picture ID besides our passport is our Global Entry card. I also use this in airports so I never pull out my wallet.