Most of my travel tips were already covered. Here are a few not yet mentioned.
Miscellaneous useful gadgets:
1) Fish toothbrush holder. Mostly so I can stash my bristles in the fish mouth without bringing a separate bag.
https://www.containerstore.com/s/clever ... d=11006616
2) Toiletry bag hanger. Easy to pack and unpack.
1) Rental search: www.autoslash.com
2) Car Insurance: First choice = credit cards. Second choice = American Express Premium Car Rental Insurance Coverage. It's primary insurance for $12.25-$24.95 per rental period up to 42 days (not per day).
1) For off-season, you can get remarkable deals last minute. Some sites advertise this like www.booking.com
. Others will offer you a deal if you call them.
2) Priceline or Hotwire - use sites like www.betterbidding.com
and you have a very good chance of knowing which hotel you're bidding on.
3) Every few months, IHG (i.e. Holiday Inn, etc) offers point breaks hotels that allow you to swap as low as 5k points for specific hotel rooms. 5k points can be purchased for $67.50 and if you google, you can find easy ways of getting them cheaper. My days of staying at the Intercontinental Hanoi and Intercontinental Delhi for this price is in the past I think, but you can still find bargains.