Fender bender in parking lot, he said she said. What's the effect on my going to be?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
BuckyBadger

Fender bender in parking lot, he said she said. What's the effect on my going to be?

Post by BuckyBadger » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:09 pm

Thanks for the comments!

Please do my comments in reply #15 explaining why i took down my original text.

Sorry to make this thread confusing or less helpful.
Last edited by BuckyBadger on Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FlyAF

Re: Fender bender in parking lot, he said she said. What's the effect on my going to be?

Post by FlyAF » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:13 pm

Yeah pretty much your ins. will take care of you and his will take care of his. Nobody is going to spend the $ trying to get the others ins. to cover a couple hundred bucks from a parking lot incident.

soccerrules

Re: Fender bender in parking lot, he said she said. What's the effect on my going to be?

Post by soccerrules » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:23 pm

More than likely your insurance handles your claim and his insurance handles his.

Unless there is video proof to show 1 driver at fault.

In your case I would call my insurance and report the event and the details. I would NOT file a claim unless you want to spend the money and more than likely have your premiums increase on next policy period.

Not knowing the year/make/model of your car - I would probably not do anything to fix it. I'd smile and say "it comes with the territory".
Don't let your outflow exceed your income or your upkeep will be your downfall.

NavyIC3

Post by NavyIC3 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:40 pm

If it's only going to be a few hundred bucks, I would forgo notifying my insurance company and pay for repairs out of pocket. The repairs might even be less than your deductible.

BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:42 pm

Thanks!
Last edited by BuckyBadger on Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

harmony

Post by harmony » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:46 pm

I was in a similar situation, only mine was the car that wasn’t moving at the moment of impact. In fact I was honking my horn since I saw how distracted the other driver was. I gave a recorded statement to my insurance company in which I stated that I was not moving. I did not want my insurance to have to pay for the other driver’s distracted driving. The other driver’s insurance wouldn’t accept my statement or the statement of a family member who was in the passenger’s seat with me. I didn't receive compensation from the other driver’s insurance since there was “no objective evidence” and they thought that I could have been lying just as easily as their client. My honesty meant nothing to them. The other driver had Progressive. My insurance was and still is State Farm.

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:08 pm

What’s going to happen is you’re going to spend $150 and buy a dash cam so next time something like this happens you have evidence to support you

ianferrel

Post by ianferrel » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:15 pm

BuckyBadger wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:09 pm
I always thought parking lots were kind of at your own risk places.
Not sure what you mean by that, but signs that say "park at your own risk" generally mean that the owner of the parking lot is disclaiming liability for anything that happens.

It doesn't mean that you can crash into someone else's car and escape liability for that.

Of course, as you realize, proving exactly what happened is difficult.

BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:24 pm

Thanks!

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:47 pm

Private property, so not on a dedicated highway there is no effect with license. The only thing that may happen is your rates may go up if reported to insurance. For minor crashes paying out of pocket is usually best, bypassing insurance.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:55 pm

Last time this happened to me, the insurance companies both allocated blame 50/50. As long as I was less than 51% at fault, I was considered not at fault for the accident. That’s all I cared about.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:17 pm

Answers above are correct. It will be 50/50 blame. Just keep in mind if you have umbrella coverage it may have an impact on your eligibility for coverage. I lost mine when I got in the third claim over a 5 year period. One was a big accident from my wife (70/30) , one was me (100% my fault, and the last was this type of small 50/50 blame. The third strike was enough for my umbrella underwriters to withdraw coverage. If I knew that I would have paid for the other person's out of pocket to avoid losing the coverage.

Luckily, we are back to a clean slate and will be reapplying as I move my car insurance back to the same as my future umbrella.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:15 pm

BuckyBadger wrote:
Thanks for the comments!
Please restore your original post. Deleting the original post loses all context for future reference.

Cheers

TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:16 pm

BuckyBadger wrote:
Thanks for the comments!
Why would you remove your original post after getting what you deemed good advice? I've always felt one of the good things about this site is you can search for others who have had the same question/issue and see the advice they got without having to start a new thread.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:19 pm

If it's just cosmetic on your car, maybe you can just drive around with the dent permanently. That's what I did with my old car a few years ago.

BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:24 pm

One of the posts seemed to be questioning my story. it didn't feel appropriate to give more details or defend myself so i took the original post and additional comments down. Honestly, the title of the thread seems to be pretty descriptive.

But for completeness, my question was basically, after a minor bump in a parking lot that one party desired to take to insurance, what would the result be for me. The ability to prove who or if someone was at fault seems impossible and hardly worth the effort for the companies for what i think will be a couple hundred dollars worth of damage.

I apologise - i also hate it when information disappears from a thread, but in this case i was became uncomfortable with the amount of information i had shared and didn't want to clarify because i thought it was not the point of my question.

Sorry. I hope this comment helps.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:27 pm

BuckyBadger wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:24 pm
One of the posts seemed to be questioning my story. it didn't feel appropriate to give more details or defend myself so i took the original post and additional comments down. Honestly, the title of the thread seems to be pretty descriptive.

But for completeness, my question was basically, after a minor bump in a parking lot that one party desired to take to insurance, what would the result be for me. The ability to prove who or if someone was at fault seems impossible and hardly worth the effort for the companies for what i think will be a couple hundred dollars worth of damage.

I apologise - i also hate it when information disappears from a thread, but in this case i was became uncomfortable with the amount of information i had shared and didn't want to clarify because i thought it was not the point of my question.

Sorry. I hope this comment helps.
Thank you.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:32 pm

^^^ Yes, thanks.

There's no point to continue, this thread is locked.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.