Need vacuum recomendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
IowaFarmWife

Need vacuum recomendations

Post by IowaFarmWife »

I am looking for recommendations for a new vacuum for our house. We have a few cats (OK, crazy cat lady has 5 indoor/outdoor cats :mrgreen: ), hardwood floors though out most of the house, and one room with wall to wall carpeting and a few smaller rugs in the bedroom. Living out in the country, we do get some dirt/gravel that comes in the house on our shoes. Kids are older, so we don't have a lot of cereal, etc. that needs to be picked up. I would like something that can handle the pet hair, handles well on the hardwood flooring, and is lightweight. I don't necessarily want to purchase the cheapest vacuum, but not the most expensive one, either (maybe in the $100-$200) range.

Thanks!
“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” —Will Rogers
fsrph

Re: Need vacuum recomendations

Post by fsrph »

My relative has several cats. She tried many brands of vaccum cleaners both cheap and expensive. The best one turned out to be a Shark from Walmart. Exceptional suction, simple design and light to move around. I think this is the model she bought.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shark-Naviga ... 5/16913478

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie

Post by 2015 »

fsrph wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:27 pm My relative has several cats. She tried many brands of vaccum cleaners both cheap and expensive. The best one turned out to be a Shark from Walmart. Exceptional suction, simple design and light to move around. I think this is the model she bought.

Francis
I'll second this. Best vacuum I've ever owned. I love that it comes apart so it's actually like several vacuum cleaners in one. I'll agree it has very strong suction.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

We got a Shark, too. Model AX910.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
queso

Post by queso »

+1. Miele C3. One of those things that should go in that thread "name something you bought that wasn't cheap but you are glad you did". :happy
marc515

Post by marc515 »

+1 for Miele!
m
imareal1

Post by imareal1 »

Don't really post often but came across this thread and really wanted to point out how snobby it seems to endorse a thousand dollar vacuum when OP is looking for something in the $100-200 range. Buy the Toyota Camry but your vacuum better be a Bugatti.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

fsrph wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:27 pm My relative has several cats. She tried many brands of vaccum cleaners both cheap and expensive. The best one turned out to be a Shark from Walmart. Exceptional suction, simple design and light to move around. I think this is the model she bought.

Francis
+1
The Shark is the best vacuum cleaner we ever had. Tried many as we have cats and also multiple surface floors, laminate, wood, carpet, tile.
We bought the best one that they make.

aloha
j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
sport

Post by sport »

Costco.com has four different models of Shark vacuums.
https://www.costco.com/upright-vacuums. ... |&dept=All
McSpiffy

Post by McSpiffy »

I purchased the Sebo Felix several years ago while Costco carried them ( https://store.sebo.us/content/felix-1-premium ). It is a ~$700 vacuum, however; I believe that the design, construction and features are well-worth the cost. I'm a dog owner so I've always sought a way to eliminate the "pet funk" that permeates bag systems. The Sebo Felix is the best at containing/eliminating pet odors (I've had Hoover, Oreck and Dyson upright vacuums previously).

The only downfall (besides initial purchase) is that due to all the air filtration, the body of the vacuum does give off some heat. I only mention this it is the one misgiving I can fault against this vacuum . . . that heat buildup is a result of filtering the air so you won't smell the "pet funk". The rooms always smell clean after vacuuming!

I've purchased Sebo consumables (bags, filters, etc.) via Amazon. If you search for Sebo Felix, you might find a better price as well as plenty of positive reviews. Sebo is a popular vacuum brand in Europe . . .
SteveJ2

Post by SteveJ2 »

I have multiple animals as well. For a cost effective option that works well, I have used the Hoover Tempo - about $75 bucks, I had to replace it once in about 12 years. It's a bit cumbersome (we animal lovers probably have dreams of getting a Dyson :), but for the price it is good value and does a good job.
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

We have a Rainbow which we received as a gift. Great vacuum. The water tank filtration really helps if you have dust allergies. We have attachments for everything.

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 75-80% VTSAX piled high and deep, 20-25% VTIAX, 0% given away to banks, minimize amount given to medical-industrial complex
ionball

Post by ionball »

Very happy with a Shark!
Bwlonge

Post by Bwlonge »

YOLO with a Miele Marin.
JDot

Post by JDot »

Shark

My credentials? We own a golden retriever and a toddler and have about 50/50 carpet and hardwood/tile. Nuff said? :)

Got it from Lowe's I believe like 4 years ago and it's going strong. It has two easily removable/washable filters which we have never needed to replace. I think it was around $120-$150. My recollection is that the reviews at the time said that you get 95% of the performance for a fraction of the price.

I think it's a "navigator" model.
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

imareal1 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:00 pm Don't really post often but came across this thread and really wanted to point out how snobby it seems to endorse a thousand dollar vacuum when OP is looking for something in the $100-200 range. Buy the Toyota Camry but your vacuum better be a Bugatti.
I'm guessing it's more of a failure to fully read the OP. I myself nearly made another Miele post until I saw the budget. Some people only really read the subject.
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

Even within the 100-200 range, you can find a used miele on Criagslist. I have several miele vacs (bit of a hoarder) and most were purchased for less than $200. The vacuum have a couple of filters. There is also model with HEPA if you need something like it.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

Nothing but the old school Oreck for me. Luckily you can still buy them on Amazon. This vacuum does not have attachments, but is light and can easily slide under the bed and light enough to do stairs without the attachment. I own the commercial version of the one they used to sell on television. It is meant for heavy every day use so I'm sure they will last many years if not decades.

https://www.amazon.com/Oreck-Commercial ... eck+vacuum
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
FraggleRock

Spend wisely and not cheaply

Post by FraggleRock »

takeshi wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:36 pmI'm guessing it's more of a failure to fully read the OP.
I read it and I ignored the limit.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=246696
Topic Author
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

OP here: thanks for all of the suggestions! We ended up ordering the shark off of Amazon.
“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” —Will Rogers
Socal77

Post by Socal77 »

Posting a little late but I like Panasonic for any type of home electronic device (not entertainment) because of the quality and reliability.

I bought a Panasonic vacuum cleaner online because the brand is not easy to find at the common big box stores.
zeal

Post by zeal »

IowaFarmWife wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:13 am OP here: thanks for all of the suggestions! We ended up ordering the shark off of Amazon.
How is your shark doing? We're thinking about getting one. Large shedding dog, multiple surfaces.
Topic Author
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

It's doing just fine. I forgot that I had posted this! You do have to take the filters apart to clean them once in a while, but it's really no biggie. It picks up the cat hair, and gets all of the dirt and gravel well.
mariezzz

Post by mariezzz »

Sandtrap wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:20 pm

Francis
+1
The Shark is the best vacuum cleaner we ever had. Tried many as we have cats and also multiple surface floors, laminate, wood, carpet, tile.

aloha
j
OP revised this old forum with an update with the Shark they bought.

Question for others who have owned a Shark longer: how long have you owned it and does the suction stay just as strong after 7-10 years?
Deblog

Post by Deblog »

I love my Shark!!! Hickory floors, carpet and 2 golden retrievers. I bought the power liftaway which enables you to sweep under beds and furniture. Mine has a microfiber attachment that keeps the dust picked up well. Our hickory looks brand new still. Bought my daughter-in-law the new shark duo clean and she loves it. More than 200 though.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

zeal wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:06 am
IowaFarmWife wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:13 am OP here: thanks for all of the suggestions! We ended up ordering the shark off of Amazon.
How is your shark doing? We're thinking about getting one. Large shedding dog, multiple surfaces.
Just last week I emptied our Shark. The brush roller had a lot of dog hair in it, but it has a groove to allow a scissors blade to go under the bound hair and makes cutting the hair easy and then also easy to peel it off. This is also stated in the instructions. I was surprised there was so much hair collected because I never see any around the house.

Normally, the maids empty the vacuum which is why I did not notice before.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

I have the Dyson V7 and like it a lot. The Wirecutter recommends as the best cordless stick vac: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... ck-vacuum/

The freedom of not being tied down by a wire is almost life-changing. The downside of course is needing to charge the battery - a full charge (takes around 2-3 hours) lasts for about 20-30 minutes of cleaning (much shorter if you use the more powerful "max" mode). That doesn't sound like much, but if you adjust your vacuuming to doing a room or two at a time (or even just more frequent spot-cleaning - much easier to do with the freedom of cordless) instead of the whole house in one go, the cordless can suit your needs just fine.

The V7 "Motorhead" is around $240. For your needs, the V7 "Absolute" may be a better fit, as it comes with an additional "fluffy" brush head that works especially well on hard floors. This is regularly $350 but has sometimes gone on sale for around $250-$300.
bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse »

Shark. +1
Rudedog

Post by Rudedog »

Have had two Dysons, both wore out fast. Now use a Shark, I like it, much cheaper than Dyson.
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

Rudedog wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:49 pm Have had two Dysons, both wore out fast. Now use a Shark, I like it, much cheaper than Dyson.
+1
I had the same experience. Very happy with Shark now.
anoop

Post by anoop »

McSpiffy wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:55 pm I purchased the Sebo Felix several years ago while Costco carried them ( https://store.sebo.us/content/felix-1-premium ). It is a ~$700 vacuum, however; I believe that the design, construction and features are well-worth the cost. I'm a dog owner so I've always sought a way to eliminate the "pet funk" that permeates bag systems. The Sebo Felix is the best at containing/eliminating pet odors (I've had Hoover, Oreck and Dyson upright vacuums previously).

The only downfall (besides initial purchase) is that due to all the air filtration, the body of the vacuum does give off some heat. I only mention this it is the one misgiving I can fault against this vacuum . . . that heat buildup is a result of filtering the air so you won't smell the "pet funk". The rooms always smell clean after vacuuming!

I've purchased Sebo consumables (bags, filters, etc.) via Amazon. If you search for Sebo Felix, you might find a better price as well as plenty of positive reviews. Sebo is a popular vacuum brand in Europe . . .
These things reflect true inflation. I bought an X4 automatic for $600 about 8 or so years ago. It is now $850 on the website. It has been great. Works well and has never broken down.
david99

Post by david99 »

Miele. It's a very good vacuum cleaner.
vu8

Post by vu8 »

Panasonic makes the best vacuum in my opinion, don't buy any fancy ones, just a 120 dollar Panasonic bagged vacuum, it'll last you 5 years with no problems, exponentially better than the overpriced Dyson cr*p
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

mariezzz wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:29 am
Sandtrap wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:20 pm

Francis
+1

aloha
j
OP revised this old forum with an update with the Shark they bought.

Question for others who have owned a Shark longer: how long have you owned it and does the suction stay just as strong after 7-10 years?
warranty is oustanding.
We had a latch break on one side and the company sent a new upper cannister section. no charge.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
puravida

Post by puravida »

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LL ... UTF8&psc=1
Shark Navigator Light Weight (NV105). Recommended by my housekeeper, bought one, worked so well bought 2 more for family members. I've owned Dyson and others at 3-4 x the price and this for $100 is better.
Simple, passive, effective - the Bogle way...
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I have a Riccar which I like.
lexie2000

Post by lexie2000 »

IowaFarmWife wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:04 am It's doing just fine. I forgot that I had posted this! You do have to take the filters apart to clean them once in a while, but it's really no biggie. It picks up the cat hair, and gets all of the dirt and gravel well.
I just wanted to let you know that if you want to cut down on the dirt and gravel, check out Stanley Steamer's door mats. They really cut down on the amount of dirt, gravel, etc. that gets into the house.

BTW, we have a Shark and absolutely love it.
mancich

Post by mancich »

I'm partial to canisters myself. We've been buying Kenmore canister for a long time and find them to be really good. Just bought this one for upstairs from Walmart this past week, with free shipping. For $250, if it lasts, say, 8-10 years and then dies, it is totally worth it. I would have liked to buy a Miele as I heard they are the best, but DW wouldn't pull the trigger on that much money for a vacuum.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kenmore-BC40 ... /249775877
under_tha_radar

Post by under_tha_radar »

Riccar for upright. Miele for canister.
othermike27

Post by othermike27 »

Just bought a Bissell AirRam 1984 - $160 on Amazon. This is a stick vacuum variant with rechargeable (and replaceable!) battery. Excellent reviews from CR and Youtube reviewers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK6JuveNeOI

We have mostly hardwood floors with some carpeted bedrooms. Seems to work quite well, especially on hardwood. Grabs cat hair and dust bunnies. Handle telescopes so it's easy and effective on carpeted/wood stairs. However, there are no attachments -this is a floor unit only. Also, there is no provision for good up-to-the-edge cleaning as you move parallel to a counter or wall. Lightweight, easy to carry and use, but you'll probably want to add something else with wands and other attachments for complete cleaning around the house.
Topic Author
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

I just wanted to let you know that if you want to cut down on the dirt and gravel, check out Stanley Steamer's door mats. They really cut down on the amount of dirt, gravel, etc. that gets into the house.

BTW, we have a Shark and absolutely love it.
[/quote]

Thank you, I will do this. :happy