Relocation to Atlanta

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
TresBelle65

Relocation to Atlanta

Post by TresBelle65 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:40 am

My brother and his wife are relocating from the DC area to the Atlanta area. They mostly telework, so they have some location flexibility.

They need to be able to get to Hartsfield airport with little hassle due to business travel requirements. The complicating factor is they are moving mostly due to his wife's mother's declining health. She lives in Anniston, AL - a not too far drive along I-20 from Atlanta - close enough that they can visit her on weekends and get there for any emergencies.

If anyone can recommend good suburbs or areas between Atlanta and the western border with AL, would appreciate it. They have a kindergartener going into 1st grade...would like good schools, decent recreation/entertainment options, etc.

I am betting their COL will decline as the DC area is quite expensive. Thank you.

treypar

Re: Relocation to Atlanta

Post by treypar » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:53 am

I would suggest that they look at the Vinings area around I285 and I75 in NW Atlanta. Schools in Cobb County are good and ease of getting to the airport is good except at rush hour by taking I285 to Camp Creek Pkwy. Best airport access is via MARTA at Lindbergh Station. Dunwoody is another area to consider with great airport access at the North Springs,Sandy Springs and Dunwoody Marta Stations.

runner23

Post by runner23 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:33 pm

treypar wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:53 am
I would suggest that they look at the Vinings area around I285 and I75 in NW Atlanta. Schools in Cobb County are good and ease of getting to the airport is good except at rush hour by taking I285 to Camp Creek Pkwy. Best airport access is via MARTA at Lindbergh Station. Dunwoody is another area to consider with great airport access at the North Springs,Sandy Springs and Dunwoody Marta Stations.
Spot on.

TresBelle65

Post by TresBelle65 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:08 pm

Thanks going to look at a map to see also how close these are to I-20. Thanks again

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:52 pm

Vinings, Smyrna and in general West Cobb county area has lots of nice neighborhoods and easy Westward access to I-20. Getting to the airport in Atlanta can be a pita from almost anywhere. Atlanta traffic (except maybe 12 midnight to 5AM) is either bad or a complete disaster depending on which genius has crashed into what car/bus/truck/bridge/building/etc. Rush hour into downtown and to the airport is a daily Armageddon on wheels.

VinhoVerde

Post by VinhoVerde » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:26 pm

I've lived in Atlanta since 1971 so I think I can help you here. I'm going to offer you some contrarian advice from previous posters.
Given that:
(1)-Your relatives want easy access to Hartsfield Jackson airport.
(2)-they will need frequent access to Anniston AL due to an in-law having periodic health issues.
Plan A
I would move to Peachtree City, located in the SW portion of metro Atlanta. If you ask the average Atlantan they'll tell you that northern Atlanta is superior to southern Atlanta in many respects. That is generally true. However, Peachtree City is , to a large degree, occupied by Delta employees, particularly pilots. It's relatively crime free and there are very nice homes there. The airport is located approximately 30 minutes away, that's practically around the corner by Atlanta traffic standards. Also, it offers relatively easy access to Anniston, about 1 hour 45 minutes away. You can drive to Anniston without traveling though Atlanta via 285, not quite the " trail of tears" but close, particularly Monday-Friday. Having taken of care if in-laws in decling health, I can tell you from 8 years of personal experience that they rarely get ill over the weekend. Usually. We'd have little advanced notice and have to fight whatever traffic there was.
Downside of this location is that it's difficult to go into downtown or north Atlanta, where most of The city's entertainment is located, from Peachtree City. You'll have to balance that against the relatively easy access to airport and Anniston.
Plan B
Convince health challenged relative to move to Atlanta. The healthcare and senior care will be far better than one can find in Anniston. If you choose Plan B, I'd move to Dunwoody. It's the demographic center, not geographic, of Atlanta and gives you relatively easy access to most of the major traffic arteries of Atlanta metro. I moved from this area in late 2016 to downsize for retirement. Had a 2500 sq. ft house plus full basement with pool that I sold for 425K. Moving from DC, your relatives will be very happy with housing costs. The area has good public schools too.There are major hospitals within short driving distance as well as several credible senior care facilities. I know from personal experience with in-laws.
Hope this helps.
VinhoVerde

shepherd

Post by shepherd » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:45 pm

I've lived in the Atlanta area for the past 40+ years (Dunwoody and East Cobb). The advice above is correct with one caveat. The public schools in and around Smyrna/Vinings are not great. Many people move their for the housing costs and then end up moving again to East Cobb for the better schools. Traffic to airport from East Cobb results in a trip time of 45 minutes to an hour depending on traffic. East Cobb is also about 25 minutes from MARTA and Dunwoody. Congestion is higher in Dunwoody than in East Cobb - Mercedes and State Farm have recently relocated there. Dunwoody and East Cobb real estate are comparable though Dunwoody may be a little pricier given its location is closer in. Peachtree City is often ranked highly in best places to live lists.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:41 pm

We lived in the Grant Park area before moving to Seattle. HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend. RE values should do very well over the next decade as the beltline continues to build up, and you can get to the airport in less than 15 minutes even in traffic. Also, it's right off 20 and full of charming victorian mansions. A decent house will run you $600-800k depending on needs, but there's little to no new construction in the area so you need to appreciate the charms of the older houses and appreciate intown living (i.e. you can walk or bike everywhere, no need to drive). You'd qualify for the Charter School so school quality wouldn't be an issue, either. There's really not a more exciting place to be in or around ATL at the moment.

Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:00 pm

I like the Peachtree City idea. It's an amazing area for families and has easy access to the airport. I have close friends that live there and and they really like it. Yes, you do have to drive a bit to get to city entertainment but not a big deal on most weekends.

Like another poster said, Smyrna is a very popular area for young families, but most of them eventually leave the area to access better schools.

DrewDogs63

Post by DrewDogs63 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:14 pm

I lived in Smyrna for 5 years and relocated to East Cobb due to schools. I frequently commute to airport for work. Typically can take 45-60 minutes from East Cobb. Being flexible in the times you can travel is important. I will often grab the early flights out when I don’t need to in order to avoid Atlanta rush hour.

Peachtree City is a good recommendation to look at. The southwestern 285 loop is typically some of the least travelled part of 285, but going east and west on I-20 around 285 is a gamble. But you won’t avoid that unless your brother is looking to consider areas such as Douglasville, Villa Rica, or even Bremen (pretty far out there)

If private school is an option, Smyrna and Vinings sounds like the best fit.

3CT_Paddler

Post by 3CT_Paddler » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:23 pm

Last couple of posts are spot on... I would definitely put Peachtree City at the top of the list. West Cobb has a couple of good schools and would put you closer to AL. East Cobb is generally the best when it comes to schools. Vining's and Smyrna are great, but schools are not as good as the others. Most wealthy people in Vining's send their kids to private school.

gator15

Post by gator15 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:42 pm

Never lived there but always heard great things about Peachtree City when I lived in Atlanta.

gator15

Post by gator15 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:42 pm

Never lived there but always heard great things about Peachtree City when I lived in Atlanta.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:35 pm

East Cobb county is your best bet, good neighborhoods, decent public schools, very easy access to quality food and retail stores.

Traffic in Atlanta is similarly horrible compared to DC I would suppose. But trips from virtually anywhere in Atlanta to its airport are most often a mess, very difficult to plan because car travel time can vary enormously depending on how many accidents there are that day and there are always accidents. Not to mention chronically full/overflowing airport parking lots.

Peachtree city is an option but it is also a geographic island in the middle of a crime ridden run down blighted area.

Atlanta was a great place to live 30-40 years ago. Now - no way.

champion_ham

Post by champion_ham » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:44 pm

Check out West Midtown area. There are some great schools and neighborhoods (Springlake, Wildwood, Collier Hills). This website has a great description of Buckhead neighborhoods https://beacham.com/communities/buckhead

Bubbacat

Post by Bubbacat » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:22 pm

Coming out of lurk mode - I have lived in Peachtree City for about 15 years.

The good:
  • excellent schools
    80+ miles of paved golf cart paths - you can get around town just fine via golf cart
      Reasonable housing prices - your money will go a lot further down her
        Good design and infrastructure - planned city/no blight or bad areas
          Large and growing film and TV industry
            Easy airport access
              Lower property taxes
            The bad:
            • they call it "the bubble" for a reason. It's quiet and insulated down here.
              Not surrounded by bad areas as a previous poster noted - surrounded by many farms/cows etc.
                Bad commute to northern job hubs (where I work)
                  Few tech jobs - mostly airport-logistics/healthcare. Though film production a growing industry - Pinewood Studios 15 min drive
                Overall it's a nice place and well worth a visit. And if you like old and quaint, Senoia is really nice and just about 10.min south of here. Google it -nice old houses.

Bubbacat

frankmorris

Post by frankmorris » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:06 am

Would highly suggest avoiding Vinings or similar areas if you're wanting to get to the airport in a reasonable amount of time and are bound at all by time, meaning you'd have to sit in rush hour traffic. With the new stadium that whole area is getting more congested, and 285 heading to the airport is often stopped with traffic. Intown areas such as Grant Park, Glenwood Park, etc. offer very easy access to I-20 and easy access to the airport. You can avoid a lot of traffic in those central areas, but they definitely aren't suburbs. Likewise, there are some surprisingly beautiful areas in Hapeville & College Park, very close to the airport and again - easy access to I-20 heading west. Down further, Newnan is beautiful and coming along nicely, and is definitely more suburban, with easy access to the airport, and less traffic heading up to I-20.

You could also head out to Douglasville area, which would be a lot closer to I-20 west, but traffic coming in town can be tough, and those suburbs tend to be a little older, not as nice.

In general, unless you want to sit in traffic frequently or have a LOT of flexibility when you drive, I wouldn't live north and expect to go south/west very easily.