Gardening 2018

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Gardening 2018

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

Like a good bit of the country, the weather in St. Louis has been pretty crazy this year. Drenching rains, "bunny hopping" temperatures, etc. It's been cold this weekend, maybe snow showers this evening. Next weekend in the 70s.

In spite of that, gardening must push on!

I put in pea seeds in early March. Some snowpeas and some snap peas. The plants have started to push through, so it's officially on. I'll go look at tomato plants in a few days.
peppers

Re: Gardening 2018

Post by peppers »

I started my pepper seeds in early March. The jalapeno's are growing nicely. The bell peppers are not far behind. I'm in NE Illinois and like the market, the weather has been up and down. Snow possible tonight and tomorrow......groan.....
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
autopeep

Post by autopeep »

Received my shipment of native perennials on thursday.... it dropped below freezing last night :oops:
Walkitoff

Post by Walkitoff »

It snowed yesterday in Oklahoma. My newly planted perennials suffered some - hope they "spring" back.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

Gardening plans are on hold until it warms up and drys out a bit. The broody hens have been hatching chicks for almost two months. We have been working on our indoor "jungle" while we wait for spring.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

We've been out cleaning up and preparing. Just in time for the 2 inches if snow expected in the Chicago area tonight! Ugh
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Gardening in the South is nonstop. We almost always have a crop of something good to eat. Winter broccoli and cabbage is done but tomatoes and eggplants blooming with some smallish tomatoes already on the vines. Started picking crop of sugar snaps last week and starting today lots of bush beans with pole beans to follow in another week. Our greens (kale, mustard, chard) have been strong this year and still going. Some of the older lettuce is starting to bolt but most of it still vigorous and plush enough for daily salads.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

peppers wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:03 am I started my pepper seeds in early March. The jalapeno's are growing nicely. The bell peppers are not far behind. I'm in NE Illinois and like the market, the weather has been up and down. Snow possible tonight and tomorrow......groan.....
Are you growing seedlings inside? I usually don’t plant until early May and I am south of you.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:54 am Like a good bit of the country, the weather in St. Louis has been pretty crazy this year. Drenching rains, "bunny hopping" temperatures, etc. It's been cold this weekend, maybe snow showers this evening. Next weekend in the 70s.

In spite of that, gardening must push on!

I put in pea seeds in early March. Some snowpeas and some snap peas. The plants have started to push through, so it's officially on. I'll go look at tomato plants in a few days.
Will you keep the tomatoes inside for awhile? As in the previous post, it is pretty early. I’ve been burned before by late frosts so I usually wait awhile except for some of the cold hardier plants like broccoli.
peppers

Post by peppers »

Kenkat wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:47 pm
peppers wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:03 am I started my pepper seeds in early March. The jalapeno's are growing nicely. The bell peppers are not far behind. I'm in NE Illinois and like the market, the weather has been up and down. Snow possible tonight and tomorrow......groan.....
Are you growing seedlings inside? I usually don’t plant until early May and I am south of you.
Yes indeed. I am targeting Memorial Day week to hand it off to Mother Nature.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

I don't bother with seeds for tomatoes. The past few years have been warm springs and I put plants in the ground here, which is zone 6b, in mid-April. This year, I think I will buy the plants, then dig some holes in the garden and put the dirt from those into pots and put the plants in those. Then I can move them in and out of the yard as things dictate.

Last year was so warm, I had the a ripe tomato by the first week of June. I had tried an early variety called Fourth of July. The fruit were small, between 1.5 - 2 inch diameter. But the yield was good and they were tasty, and indeed early. I hope I can find that variety again.
MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire »

I have planted snap peas, lettuce, and radishes so far. But the weather has been very cold. Radishes have sprouted, and some lettuce, but the peas have not. I may have to re-seed a bit.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

Living in the Northeast, we had a great warm February, 3 snowstorms in March, April is cold. Today I bought fertilizers, mulch, etc from Home Depot, and it snowed while driving home at 40 degrees. But I had raked my 0.45 acres property the last days and made bundles of pine branches downed by wet snow several weeks ago. Those 12 paper bags and 20 bundles of branches are now at the road waiting for pickup by the town or the garbage company, whoever they decided on. We should have soon those several 80 dgrs days we usually have in April.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

It is snowing today in Minnesota. So I can make plans, but not do. I won't be able to plant until late May. It will be at my mom's

Main crop: tomatoes.

I will also plant Some herbs - basil for sure, thyme, chives. Maybe marjoram and rosemary.
galectin

Post by galectin »

I have plants coming up under grow lights in my basement:

tomatoes
peppers
cucumbers
eggplants
zucchini
acorn squash

I will transplant them into the garden in ~3 weeks.

We had light snow today (Omaha), but I will plant snow peas and an early crop of beans in a few days. However, the forecast for a week from now is for overnight lows below freezing with snow on Saturday. This has been the coldest spring for some time.
Walleyewhacker

Post by Walleyewhacker »

Actually was rototilling the garden today. I'm in Michigan, things need to warm up before I think about plants. I did plant peas and some potatoes today. Both will be fine. It's supposed to warm up next week some. As someone said earlier in this post, its been cold and Winter just doesn't want to give it up. When it does finally warm up, at least I"m ready!
lynneny

Post by lynneny »

I just have an 18th floor terrace in a NYC high rise to garden in, so I'll start with arugula next week. In planters I can bring inside if/when temperature drops below low 40s at night.

The main planting -- cherry tomatoes, herbs and lots of flowers in pots/planters -- happens in mid to late May, depending on weather.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

I started my tomato seedlings indoors and may put some peas and beets out soon. I'll start my pumpkin and cucumber seedlings in a few weeks. We had to move our asparagus patch last year for the well, hoping they come up again this year but I am assuming I'll need to start over.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

I planted seeds of lettuce and spinach this week in above ground planters outside. I am in the St Louis area so it is cool here, but some plants actually like the cool weather :D

I also planted onion bulbs this week in the garden. I still have the asparagus covered and will likely move the straw next week.

Good luck to all for the growing season.
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
nativenewenglander

Post by nativenewenglander »

We are zone 3b here in NH. Snow still on the ground, onions and potatoes arrive in a three weeks. Reading what other gardeners are doing gets my soil itchy fingers going.
happyisland

Post by happyisland »

Two of my big mango trees (an Edward and an Alphonso) are both covered in blooms and small fruit has begun to set. Looks like it's going to be a good year this year thanks to a wetter than usual rainy season. Yes!
kenoryan

Post by kenoryan »

We still have snow here in Wisconsin. I won’t be planting till the week after memorial day. I used to start my own seedlings, but I can get a flat of 64 tomato plants for $13.99. Seems like a waste of time and electricity doing all the starting of plants in the basement.

I have a nice big plot for my garden. Last year I had 64 tomato plants, 32 eggplant, 32 jalapeño, 32 green peppers, 8 zucchini, cucumber, beans, and 6 pickle plants. It was a busy September, making sauce in the driveway on my turkey burner and a 10gal pot. My chest freezer in the basement still quite full. Gonna start again this summer!
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Northwest Indiana reporting...

Spring like other locales has been a challenge for gardening. I planted spinach in a recycling bin with soil about a month ago and placed a window over it to create a mini hotbox. Even with that there are only about 8 spinach plants up about 1" tall. The snap peas planted March 20th have not pushed thru.

Typically, April 10-12 is when my first aparugus shoot pushes thru...nothing yet.

On the bright side, my wife is retired and has started about 100 plants inside - tomato, brocolli, cauliflower, peppers, etc and all are doing well.

Waiting for the warmth.

ed
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Puget sound here. Moved to a new house and got to build a completely new garden from scratch. 10, 9" tall 4x8 raised beds. We ordered 11 cubic yards of dirt (I think 15 was delivered...), 4 of wood chips to fill in between the beds, and 2 yards of mulch. Also planted 7 new mini dwarf fruit trees to compliment the very old and mature plum and cherry trees.

Tomatoes and peppers are started inside and a few have sprouted. Cabbage, peas, various brassicas, and lettuce are outside and growing well. We might have some losses to wire worms coming up from the old grass that we covered up.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

kenoryan wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:35 pm I have a nice big plot for my garden. Last year I had 64 tomato plants, 32 eggplant, 32 jalapeño, 32 green peppers, 8 zucchini, cucumber, beans, and 6 pickle plants. It was a busy September, making sauce in the driveway on my turkey burner and a 10gal pot. My chest freezer in the basement still quite full. Gonna start again this summer!
Sounds like you to do some canning. The quality is better than freezing IMO.
goodlifer

Post by goodlifer »

What kind of set up do indoor gardeners use? We removed our veggie garden 2 years ago and now my daughter wants to start again. Im thinking of just keeping some strawberries and green beans in containers under a grow light. I thought of buying the iPower 54W 4 Feet T5 Grow Light System with Stand Rack from Amazon, but noticed there were colored LED bulbs as well. Does it make a difference?
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

Finally had a break in the lousy weather. Ran the tiller today so we can get the peas and garlic in this weekend. Ran into a little ice in the ground where it's in the shade all day.
Regards | Bob
GeauxBR

Post by GeauxBR »

Our tomato plants have really taken off the last 2 weeks, have blooms on all of them. This week our squash and zucchini all have blooms (just females so far..no males to pollinate them). Cracked 80 today in south louisiana.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

What are doing to deter gophers?
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

South Florida reporting in - those dang iguanas have come out of their winter lairs and are slithering (yes iguanas slither) around my backyard looking for plants and flowers to destroy :annoyed
3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR »

Hawaii and North Carolina Gardens here.

In Hawaii I'm planting new spinach and tomatoes this weekend as last years plants have run their course. I tend to get about 8 months of production from each but its time for new plants.

Over the winter in North Carolina at our retirement home I planted 50 asparagus roots in a raised bed which are beginning to sprout. The roots were 2 years old so I won't harvest this spring but should have a decent crop in 2019. Also on the perennial category in NC I planted some apple trees this past fall, 2 of a total of 8 apple and peach trees and I planted 2 test blue berry bushes. With the blue berries, I'm hoping to keep the plants healthy - which in this case means maintaining a good ph balance in the soil - and if I'm successful I plan to put in a total of 12 bushes.
peppers

Post by peppers »

unclescrooge wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:58 pm
We live in the big city so gophers aren't an issue for us. I do use a wire mesh fence to keep the rabbits at bay.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

peppers wrote: We live in the big city so gophers aren't an issue for us. I do use a wire mesh fence to keep the rabbits at bay.
Peppers, what happened to your nemesis the squirrel who was eating your basil? Did you two make peace? 8-)
peppers

Post by peppers »

Miriam2 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:53 pm
peppers wrote: We live in the big city so gophers aren't an issue for us. I do use a wire mesh fence to keep the rabbits at bay.
Peppers, what happened to your nemesis the squirrel who was eating your basil? Did you two make peace? 8-)
Absolutely, and he has a friend. The other morning as I gazed out the kitchen window, I saw the two of them frolicking in the recently tilled vegetable patch. Digging small holes and churning the soil, thereby aiding in the aeration of the soil. Bless their little hearts.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

peppers wrote:
Miriam2 wrote: Peppers, what happened to your nemesis the squirrel who was eating your basil? Did you two make peace? 8-)
Absolutely, and he has a friend. The other morning as I gazed out the kitchen window, I saw the two of them frolicking in the recently tilled vegetable patch. Digging small holes and churning the soil, thereby aiding in the aeration of the soil. Bless their little hearts.
Ah, the delight of nature :D
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

After a week of warm weather and the fruit trees beginning to bloom, we are ending with tornado warnings etc and then ice/snow and freezing temperatures the next couple of nights.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

They can be reasonable creatures if spoken to with respect...

peppers

Post by peppers »

Kenkat wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:37 am
They can be reasonable creatures if spoken to with respect...

Yes, it is very important to keep the lines of communication open. If an action by one party seems threatening, the other party might respond aggressively and things could escalate to unimaginable consequences.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

I put tomato plants in the ground last week when the weather warmed significantly. I had been keeping them in pots and moving them in at night. The pea plants are growing, about five inches tall at this point.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

The weather is finally starting to warm up here in the PNW. I have tomatoes inside the mini greenhouse but they won't go into the ground until after Mother's Day if not later, it takes awhile for the nights to stay above 50 here consistently. I am going to start some cucumber seedlings and sow some peas this weekend. Not making a large garden this year until I get last year's well drilling mess cleared up.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Frank Grimes

Post by Frank Grimes »

NC here. I started tomatoes, cucumbers, basil and radishes two weeks ago.

A mole has already gotten into my raised bed and has eaten a cucumber plant and tomato plant from below, with only a hole remaining. Sucked the whole plant down there. Never seen anything like it. I didn't want to nuke the garden soil with mole poison so I poured cayenne pepper in the hole. Hoping he'll head out of there and back into the yard tunnels, where I have placed the poison.
foamypirate

Post by foamypirate »

Central Texas here. Planted these bad boys back in late march. Mammoth sunflowers. Tallest is about 51" tall right now. They are supposed to hit between 9'-12' tall. We'll see if my luck holds, but they are growing like rockets right now! I also have a rather sad looking Artichoke and some Garlic Chives, mainly for decoration (that, and the Artichoke has AWESOME flowers if you don't pick the fruit. They look like something out of a Dr. Seuss book).

Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

^^^ Did you plant catnip too?
foamypirate

Post by foamypirate »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 6:57 pm ^^^ Did you plant catnip too?
I probably should! I'm sure the poor fuzzies could use some entertainment! 8-) They can chill in the shade of the sunflowers and daydream on catnip, haha. The empty spot next the the garlic chives would be perfect.
Church Lady

Post by Church Lady »

I started lettuces from seed six weeks ago. I moved the pots outside 2 days ago. Yesterday squirrels gobbled up all my lettuces. :oops: Now I am building cages for the other plants. :(
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

You sure it was squirrels and not rabbits? I usually don't get squirrel problems until the fruit appears. Rabbits will eat up the plants.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

After one of the coldest Aprils on record, we (like a lot of the country) had a hot May. In fact, the hottest May on record, smashing the old record. The tomatoes are enjoying this. The snow/snap peas not so much. They just started producing, but already think it's July and are starting some foliage die-off. Stop that!
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

Planted tomatoes or various types, lots of yellow squash and zucchini, bell and jalapeno peppers, cucumbers and a number of herbs. Have harvested several yellow squash and anticipating plenty more. We have had a lot of rain the past week and things are soggy. Hoping the coming week brings a lot of sunshine.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Northwest Indiana

It has been a very strange spring. Cold into May. I literally planted and replanted snap peas, spinach, and lettuce. Finally all are producing but we really missed out on spinach. Lettuce is doing quite well, but with a week of 90 degree weather, who knows for how long.

Yesterday I planted summer lettuce that is heat resistant.

We have been eating asparagus for a month, but it has not produced heavy...certain crowns have not even produced. Can anyone offer advise on this? Is this normal with cool weather. First asparagus shoot was nearly 3 weeks later than normal.

We have planted the following; spinach, snap peas, lettuce, radishes (eating), broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, onions (nearly 200 transplants purchased on line), leeks (same purchase), red potatoes, Yukon gold potatoes, sweet potatoes, mini peppers, peppercini, banana, sweet peppers, eggplant, Amish paste tomatoes, Roma tomatoes, garlic (104 planted last Oct), carrots (both taped and regular seeds), cucumbers, pole beans, parsley, basil, and quite a few herbs.

edit: Also spaghetti squash, yellow squash, and celery, romaine.

In order to protect the broccoli, etc, we hung mesh yesterday to keep butterflies and hopefully bugs out.

Other than the asparagus and spinach, everything seems healthy and normal.

Ed
Last edited by MP173 on Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sevenseas

Post by sevenseas »

I'm pretty excited that I can finally contribute to this thread after years of being a frustrated city-dwelling gardener. Taking baby steps at the new house: planted 6 tomato plants (Big Beef, Roma, Green Zebra, Sweet Million, Sun Gold, Yellow Pear), 1 sweet banana pepper plant. Six blueberry bushes (2 each of Blueray, Legacy, Jersey). Will plant herbs, edamame, nasturtium in a raised bed on my deck. Saw Chicago Hardy fig and Meyer lemon plants at the local Home Depot so may try some container gardening too. Am getting a late start so good thing that spring has come late this year (Catskills, zone 5B).