Toyota 4 Runner

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
skime

Toyota 4 Runner

Post by skime » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:16 am

I'm wondering if someone could share their ownership experience with the Toyota 4Runner. I'm looking for a new car and this is one I'm considering.

gym4866

Re: Toyota 4 Runner

Post by gym4866 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:23 am

i to am looking to purchase a newer suv,and was researching the 4-runner. in reading some things to consider about the 4-runner,consider this. the 4-runner has much more stiffer ride somewhat to a truck. if you are looking for a nicer ride experience it is suggested that the highlander would be a much better choice, but if your driving in more geared toward using back roads and long unpaved drive ways the 4-runner truck like suspension is the way to go. i am looking at the honda pilot, as it has an undated more insulated interior for a quiet cabin. also, comparing the highlander to the pilot. for me i am looking for a quiet cabin with reduced road noise........good luck in your search.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:41 am

I have a lot of miles on my CR*V and have been pondering what I would buy if I had to make a decision on short notice.

I was thinking about the 4 Runner or Highlander. Before someone points it out, I realize this is an apple and orange comparison in that the 4 Runner is built on a frame (like a truck) and the Highlander is a crossover SUV, more akin to a passenger car. For me, the most off-roading I do is hop a curb to grab a parking spot at an event.

From what I have read, the 4-Runner seems to be a bit of an old-fashioned vehicle with rough sounding engine and clumsy handling with significant body lean. The 4 Runner does have low range transmission and standard skid plates. Gas mileage is poor. Headroom is kind of limited.

The Highlander is a lot more modern vehicle with a smooth, punchy powertrain and better gas mileage. The ride and handling are much better than the 4 Runner.

So...if you do a lot of off road driving, then the 4 Runner makes sense; you pay a price for this off road capability though. But if most of your driving is on the road, consider a CrossOver like the Highlander.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:51 am

Don't have one, have been in one, and have considered one.

> if you do a lot of off road driving, then the 4 Runner makes sense;

This is the key. If no off-road use there are many more, possibly better options.

runner23

Post by runner23 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:32 pm

Are you considering a ‘new to you’ car or a brand new car? Older 4runners hold their value very well and will take a limited depreciation hit throughout ownership. This applies to Toyota’s in general though.

Topic Author
skime

Post by skime » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:06 pm

Very low mileage or brand new.

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:53 pm

I own a 2017 Off-Road Premium. One of the main reasons I bought it is because it is big enough inside for me, with a relatively open dash/knee area. I am a giant and have no issues with legroom or headroom. I do not have a sunroof, but it did not seem to be a problem when I sat in one with.

I do not go off-road or use rough dirt roads much, but it's fun and capable when I do. The high clearance is nice even if one doesn't go off-road. Less concern with road debris, ability to jump most curbs if needed (e.g. if traffic is backed up but the left turn lane is clear). Only the Off-Road version comes with KDSS, which improves handling (bumps and cornering) on the order of 10%, both off-road and on, according to what I have seen on Youtube. If you regularly carry long items like surfboards or lumber, you can roll the rear window down so the items fit. The Premium grade stereo sounds nice.

When braking suddenly the nose dips concernedly, which is its biggest weakness to me. Lousy gas mileage, good power (torque) but middling acceleration. Lacking in some modern safety amenities like blind spot detection and assisted braking.
The discovery of America, and that of a passage to the East Indies by the Cape of Good Hope, are the two greatest and most important events recorded in the history of mankind. -- Adam Smith, 1776

hudson

Post by hudson » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:03 pm

I've test driven one; I think it drives better than any of Toyota's vehicles on a truck chassis.
I wouldn't mind having an SR5 with a radio and 4WD.
Although I'm on forest type service roads (maintained dirt roads) several times a week, 4WD is only needed a few times a year; I don't think that justifies the extra weight and cost. For me, it would be a luxury purchase...not a need purchase.
During the few times that it snows, I just stay home; I have a front wheel drive vehicle that I use when I must go in the snow.
Last edited by hudson on Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

investor997

Post by investor997 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:39 pm

I have a 2004 4Runner (4th Generation). A bit older, but the current (5th Generation) trucks really aren't all that much different. Some thoughts:

- the 4.0 V6 and 5-speed automatic have been in production since the mid-00's. They're extremely reliable.
- it's one of the few vehicles that you could realistically expect to run to 200K miles with few issues
- on-road manners aren't great. I'd say "acceptable".
- excellent for off-roading, although unless you get the TRD Pro package from the factory you'll want to add a few mods here and there to really make it capable
- resale value is pretty awesome

In short, they're basically dinosaurs by modern car standards - but that's part of their appeal.

Mine has the 4.7L V8. Toyota removed the V8 option for the 5th Generation trucks, but you can cross shop them against the Lexus GX460, which is essentially the same truck with a V8 and with full time 4wd as standard.

Five

Post by Five » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:53 pm

Hi,
I had the same dilemma one year ago. I just bought a brand new beautiful 2018 Toyota Highlander in early March. Got a great deal on the 2018.....better than on the showroom 2017 Highlander that I actually came in to buy. For me, the difference was that my relative told me that his 4 Runner still slipped in snow.....it is a rear wheel drive vehicle. Also, the Highlander is larger inside, has AWD, and is more family friendly. The 2018 Highlander looks like a Lexus and very very plush inside!! That plus a very good deal got me to buy it. Just my thoughts!

Meaty

Post by Meaty » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:02 pm

skime wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:16 am
I'm wondering if someone could share their ownership experience with the Toyota 4Runner. I'm looking for a new car and this is one I'm considering.
I have a 2017 SR5 premium. It’s great. Gas mileage isn’t the best, it drives like a truck (which I like but some don’t) great mix of spacious but doesn’t feel like you are driving a boat. It has good towing and payload capacity. All in, its far more capable than any other model in its class
"Discipline equals Freedom" - Jocko Willink

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:34 pm

I own a 2017 4Runner SR5. I have wanted one for over 10 yrs. my previous vehicle was totaled so I pulled the trigger on the 4Runner, didn't even test drive it!

1st impressions were that it drove like a truck and the handling felt loose, however once I got accustomed to the handling it no longer feels loose to me. Still drives like a truck, but I expected that.

The navigation system that it comes equipped with is not impressive, I use Waze instead.

Gas mileage is steady at 18 mpg regardless of how I drive.

Plenty of room for passengers and luggage.

Power is sufficient, no issues accelerating to highway speeds. There is a slight delay if you give it a healthy dose of throttle due to vehicle wanting to downshift. It does have the option of manually shifting gears which I have found helpful while driving in snow, primarily for engine braking.

For the price, I think it is lacking in some safety features. As mentioned by a previous poster it does not have blind spot detection.
It does have electronic brake force distribution and brake assist. Brake assist is an adaptive system, so it will learn your driving habits and adjust thresholds for brake assist accordingly.

Traction control and stability control are nice features, they work seamlessly in the background. I have noticed it keeps vehicle on the straight and narrow during situations where a vehicle without these features would lose traction and spin out.

The stock SR5 has decent ground clearance and is very capable off road. I have had it in deep sand more than once with stock tires and it made no fuss.

Overall I am pleased with the vehicle and expect many trouble free miles.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org is a site dedicated exclusively to 4runners. Lots of good information on there along with some great looking trucks!

Good luck with your search!
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

deecee

Post by deecee » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:49 pm

I own a 2003 4Runner with 240k miles. I am the original owner. This car has been super reliable and I plan on taking it to 300k miles, at least. I stay on the recommended maintenance intervals. I get 18 mpg on mostly highway driving. I have never taken it offroad. If you want a spacious and reliable ride, and don't mind the gas mileage, I would highly recommend a 4 Runner. The body of the car will rust out before the engine dies.

aspirit

Post by aspirit » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:07 pm

skime wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:06 pm

I've owned numerous 3rd Generations.
I'd suggest you put the other 30-40k in your AA and consider a used 96-02 3rdgeneration 4runner, because someones going to dent it sooner or later. Good luck!
Last edited by aspirit on Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations. | "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" | — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild ~

Topic Author
skime

Post by skime » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:29 pm

Thanks for all of the great responses. Has anyone had extensive experience with it in the snow?

saveinvestbecomefree

Post by saveinvestbecomefree » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:07 am

I have a 2002 4runner with about 180,000 miles on it. I'm definitely keeping it to 200,000 miles until my wife forces me to get a new vehicle with a 3rd row. It's super reliable (almost 5% of 4runners are on the road with over 200,000 miles which is about 3x the average vehicle).....truck-based vehicles tend to last a lot longer. I like the ride but it's definitely a truck ride. The main downside for me is fuel economy as folks mention here. The main pro is that it lasts forever with little maintenance. Rust will eventually kill it but my mine spent 13 of it's 16 years in Michigan which puts down the most per capita salt of any state. My wife's new Volkswagen was in the shop a lot more in the first 3 years of ownership than my 4runner has been in 16 years!

It all depends on what you want. Mine is awesome in deep snow (good tires make a huge difference), sand, mud and pot-holed roads. Ripping out large bushes with a chain and low-range gearing is a lot of fun as well! I bought it new as a present to myself after grad school and it might end up lasting my entire career, depending on our final early retirement plans. It will be a sad day when I finally say goodbye to my 4runner. Having said that, due to the poor fuel economy and the limited use off-road I'm considering the new Subaru Ascent or Toyota Highlander but I also may end up with another 4runner. Good luck in your search!

Frisco Kid

Post by Frisco Kid » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:35 am

A 4 Runner IS a truck and drives like one. For me the joy is that it is old school and reliable beyond the norm. The components are heavy duty...built for functionality not a comfortable ride. Truly the last of a dying breed, if it is the right vehicle for you buy one while they are still available.

Blues

Post by Blues » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:43 am

I have a 2016 Trail Edition Premium. For me it's both a practical vehicle for my area as well as the fulfillment of a want.

We live in in a mountainous, forested area where steep gravel roads are not outside the norm, and mud or snow can be anywhere from light to heavy. Even if off-roading isn't one's passion, it's not uncommon to have to maneuver off the beaten path to avoid an obstacle such as a downed tree or power line.

As I say, I've always wanted one and since I was going to replace my former body on frame SUV with another, it was an easy choice.

Obviously, mileage will vary but we have no regrets. The missus likes it better than our former SUV which had more creature comfort features and amenities...so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Add to the above that the 4Runner shows up on virtually every list for top reliability and expectation of driving hundreds of thousands of miles, and it makes the decision to purchase a sound one for those, (like me), who tend to keep their vehicles for the long haul.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:36 am

skime wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:06 pm
I bought a 2007 limited 4runner with 90000 miles on it in 2011. It has 155,000 now and I fully expect to put at least another 80000 miles on it. Lots of highway driving with a regular need for light off roading and snow. It is a truck, think ride like a Tacoma or F150. No regrets, and all considered, one of the best financially auto purchases in my life.

Don’t be afraid to buy relatively high mileage 4runners. They are built to last. As with many Toyotas, look for signs of rust. At 11years, the rear gate is beginning to show rust.

Marmot

Post by Marmot » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:59 am

I drive a 2001 with 120k on it. Love it, people are trying to buy it from me all of the time. It is now our second car so we only use it sparingly. I don' like what they have done with the exteriors for the new cars, but the basics of the vehicle are great.

emoore

Post by emoore » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:05 am

4Runners are great reliable SUVs. I have a 2000 with 238k miles on it. Still runs fine. You might want to grab one now if you can. They haven't been updated since 2010 and it doesn't seem like Toyota is in a hurry to get a new one out anytime soon. There is some noise that the 4runner will either go unibody or discontinued. If there isn't a new one out by 2020, then I would think they are going to be discontinued.

srmach05

Post by srmach05 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:33 am

Have 2016 SR5 Premium, absolutely love it. I had wanted one ever since my dad had one when I was a kid. You just need to test drive it and see if you like the feel of it or not. Like others have noted, it doesn't drive like your typical SUV - but that is what I like about it. That being said, it's still a good daily driver and even family vehicle -- we have 2 boys under 4 and use it as our primary vehicle.

As far as snow, in my experience have had no trouble in the snow with multiple trips each year up to the mountains in the winter. Add snow tires and it is virtually unstoppable.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:49 am

Super reliable truck. I mean it is a body on frame truck. Ride comfort and mpg are not good. Good for off-road.

tpetsch

Post by tpetsch » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:57 am

Best review yet IMO on the T4R.

https://jalopnik.com/the-2018-toyota-4r ... 1823709376

I own a 2016 Trail BTW and have no regrets.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:48 pm

Frisco Kid wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:35 am
A 4 Runner IS a truck and drives like one. For me the joy is that it is old school and reliable beyond the norm. The components are heavy duty...built for functionality not a comfortable ride. Truly the last of a dying breed, if it is the right vehicle for you buy one while they are still available.
Not with the new Bronco coming in 2020.

weltschmerz

Post by weltschmerz » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:08 pm

deleted
Last edited by weltschmerz on Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:14 pm

skime wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:16 am
I'm wondering if someone could share their ownership experience with the Toyota 4Runner
Truly believe they are the perfect vehicle. Perfect mix between a car and truck.

Had a 97' and not a 12' and love it! It pulls trailers, handles great in sand/snow while still being a small package and fits my family of 5. Neighbor bought a 3rd row for a family of 6 and loves it as well.

Many mention the highlander/pilot. My wife was in the boat and opted for the pilot. They are unibody and ride smoother I guess, but it's not like the 4runner is jerking you around. My 2 young kids sleep on long trips with no issue!

With a 4runner and Pilot (or Highlander as they are similar), we take her vehicle on long trips because of space and take mine on smaller trips where we might go off road. Worst case, we always take the 4runner as it's big enough to fit all of us and still capable for anything we might encounter.

spencnor

Post by spencnor » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:17 pm

srmach05 wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:33 am
Have 2016 SR5 Premium, absolutely love it. I had wanted one ever since my dad had one when I was a kid. You just need to test drive it and see if you like the feel of it or not. Like others have noted, it doesn't drive like your typical SUV - but that is what I like about it. That being said, it's still a good daily driver and even family vehicle -- we have 2 boys under 4 and use it as our primary vehicle.

As far as snow, in my experience have had no trouble in the snow with multiple trips each year up to the mountains in the winter. Add snow tires and it is virtually unstoppable.
+1

We own a 2010 SR5 with 95k miles. ZERO problems, except for the air bag recall. This is my wife's daily driver. She has a bad hip and knee and finds getting into the 4Runner easier than a low sedan. We use it multiple times each year to go up to the snow. We like that the rear seats can recline and when folded down provides a lot of storage. IIRC, the 2010 Highlander had a lower ride height did not have as much room.

Beach

Post by Beach » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:31 pm

I didn't see anybody post they have a Limited so I'll chime in. I have a 2015 Limited Edition, bought it used with 40K miles. I like it, my wife and I carpool so we only use it on weekends because the gas mileage isn't great. Taken it off-road just a handful of times but its nice to know I can when I want and not worry about it if we owned a car chassis based SUV.

The Limited has some features that none of the other models have. The biggest difference between the Limited models is the transmission is different with a torsen equipped which apparently is better/tougher. The Limited is AWD while all other models are 2WD until you put it into 4WD.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t ... mited.html

Other major differences:
Dual Climate Control only available in the Limited (good)
X-REAS suspension (good if you keep it stock, bad if you want to lift/modify)

This article breaks down some of the differences
https://jalopnik.com/toyota-4runner-the ... 1729260482

PM me if you have any questions

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:49 pm

If you are interested in a 4 runner, you may want to check out the Lexus GX460. It is based off of the Land Cruiser Prado which is not sold in North America. They are supposedly designed and built to last 25 years in a third world country with minimal repairs! It is body on frame and has a great normally aspirated V8 engine.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:08 pm

I have had a 2005 4-Runner, purchased new, and now drive a 2015 4-Runner, also purchased new. My son has the 2005, and it is continuing to run well at 160,000 miles. When transferring it to him, the mechanic offered me $8,500 for it, saying it had the 4-Runner has best engine he has worked on (He has been at his location more than 20 years). Frankly, he thought I was nuts to buy a new one at that time.
Obserations: Highly rated for reliability and owner satisfaction by Consumer Reports. The earlier one got 24.5 mpg in combined driving, the current one averages 21.6. I drive about four miles above the speed limit usually. The newer models are larger. The negatives are average mileage, fairly large turning radius and a ride that is not as smooth as a sedan. Positives are reliability (two brake jobs with the 2005, including rotor replacement, nothing on the 2015 at 43,000 miles), feeling of safety, great room for carrying items, great power and what I feel is a very attractive appearance. Paint on the 2005 still looks great and is the best of any automobile I have owned. I did prefer the slightly smaller size of the 2005, but the 2015 is fine. I am a believer in them and they are my favorite all-time automobiles in over 50 years of purchasing many different types of automobile in different price ranges. The hold value quite well. The higher mileage on the 2005 may be related to two things: 1. It increased when the exhaust assembly was replaced after some rear-ended me; 2. Began using overdrive more.

Tim

-buzz-

Post by -buzz- » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:56 pm

I drive have a 2008 Tacoma that I bought new. Just celebrated its 10th birthday. It is mechanically similar to the 4 Runner from that year. Only ~83k miles but it has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. Unless something happens to it, I may well be driving it another 10 years.

I've glanced longingly at the luxury full size trucks (F150, Tundra) a few times but the price tag always jolts me back to reality.

The only negative I'd say is that the fuel mileage isn't great when driving on the highway. I usually get 18-19 mpg, but can be worse if I'm driving fast.

RCL

Post by RCL » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:08 am

My experience is with a 2003 Limited with the V-8 engine with 225,000 miles. Unbelievable vehicle in that it doesn't use or leak any oil, never had anything major needing replacement, just regular maintenance things like brakes, batteries, shocks, etc. 70k+ miles per set of tires as well!!
Can you imagine 225k miles and not having to replace things like alternators, fuel pumps, radiators? Has made a believer out of me for sure!

Average between 21-24 mpg with non aggressive driving.(I think the 3.73 ratio differential helps here, as it takes hardly any throttle to get up to speed and maintain it). I should note that I have no need for 4 wheel drive or AWD, so my vehicle is 2 wheel rear drive. I would't take it in any more than an inch or so of snow.
Many comments about driving like a truck....I don't see that at all. My truck experience was a 1975 Chevy 1 ton; now that was a stiff ride!!
The materials used on the interior were excellent and have held up well. No worn out areas in the leather anywhere.
People who ride with me are surprised when they find out the age and miles of the vehicle.

I know this isn't representative of a newer 2017 or 2018 4 Runner, but you asked about our experiences.
It Is Best To Consult Others Before Taking Unusual Actions

Topic Author
skime

Post by skime » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:14 am

Thanks for all of the responses. It's interesting to hear that the only complaint is fuel economy. It's also pretty evident from the responses that everyone seems to love it.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:19 am

skime wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:14 am
Thanks for all of the responses. It's interesting to hear that the only complaint is fuel economy. It's also pretty evident from the responses that everyone seems to love it.
Yes, I am kind of surprised that everyone seems to like their 4 Runners. When the time comes, I am going to check out both the 4 Runner and Highlander.

Blues

Post by Blues » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:53 am

“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

emoore

Post by emoore » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:04 am

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:48 pm
Frisco Kid wrote:
Not with the new Bronco coming in 2020.
I don't think the Bronco will be what everyone is expecting. It's not going to be an old school truck or SUV. Might be BOF but there will probably be a turbo engine and maybe even a hybrid. Should be an interesting SUV though.

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:24 pm

I have an '07 V-8 and would buy another tomorrow. It's perfect for towing my boat and carrying stuff that I wouldn't want to put in the back of a pickup.

I think the gas mileage is fine for the capability I get.

Too bad Toyota doesn't make a version that tows 7K lbs anymore.

Yea, I know about the GX460. I can't see myself throwing my fishing stuff in the back and making a mess in that fancy thing.

getcloned

Post by getcloned » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:38 pm

skime wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:29 pm
Thanks for all of the great responses. Has anyone had extensive experience with it in the snow?
I own a 2014 Limited, 45000 miles. I live in the upper midwest where we receive our fair share of snow. I have been impressed by the full time 4WD in all depths of snow. Have never used the low range or locked differential. Love my 4Runner but agree with what most others have said regarding ride, accelleration and a few safety features that are missing (blind spot warning). I installed an aftermarket remote starter through the dealer which is nice to melt the snow off the car as well. The Limited has the JBL sound system with sub which sounds great!

hudson

Post by hudson » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:28 pm

Frisco Kid wrote:
I just bought an SR5 with a radio and 4WD. It's kind of like my old 2000 Tacoma but a thousand pounds heavier with more modern stuff like power windows, GPS navigation, XM radio, and remote unlock. I like how it sits up high and drives like a truck. I had to get running boards added so that I could climb in.

sambb

Post by sambb » Sun May 24, 2020 8:26 pm

i drove one, and liked it, but no blind spot monitor for some reason

rockstar

Post by rockstar » Sun May 24, 2020 8:30 pm

This or a Tacoma is next my purchased. When I looked at them last, the dashboard looked like something out of the early 2000s. That's the only reason why I didn't buy one. Toyota takes forever up to update their models.

These vehicles are super reliable.

hudson

Post by hudson » Sun May 24, 2020 9:09 pm

sambb wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:26 pm
i drove one, and liked it, but no blind spot monitor for some reason
My 2018 4Runner SR5 didn't have any of the modern stuff....no auto braking, blind spot monitor. The new ones might.
It did have a backup camera. I'm not an off road person, but I needed to go somewhere on a forest service road in the Pisgah National Forest. The road hadn't been maintained in years. It had mud bogs, the vegetation had grown over the road; parts of the road had washed out. There were small logs to drive over. I put it in 4 wheel drive. There was no place to turn around; it was either back out or keep going. We kept going. After 4-5 miles the "road" was terminated by a bulldozed gully and a large pile of dirt....but there was room to turn around. It helped that going out was downhill. My driving skills were weak, but I never stopped. I never want to do that again....but the 4Runner was amazing.

My wife's car has all of that new stuff. I do not miss the new stuff in my 4Runner. When I get my next 4Runner in 2028, it'll have all that stuff.

Blues

Post by Blues » Sun May 24, 2020 9:34 pm

hudson wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:09 pm

My 2018 4Runner SR5 didn't have any of the modern stuff....no auto braking, blind spot monitor. The new ones might.
It did have a backup camera. I'm not an off road person, but I needed to go somewhere on a forest service road in the Pisgah National Forest. The road hadn't been maintained in years. It had mud bogs, the vegetation had grown over the road; parts of the road had washed out. There were small logs to drive over. I put it in 4 wheel drive. There was no place to turn around; it was either back out or keep going. We kept going. After 4-5 miles the "road" was terminated by a bulldozed gully and a large pile of dirt....but there was room to turn around. It helped that going out was downhill. My driving skills were weak, but I never stopped. I never want to do that again....but the 4Runner was amazing.
That's my neck of the woods you're discussing above, literally. And why I drive a 2016 Trail Edition Premium. 8-)

sambb

Post by sambb » Sun May 24, 2020 9:56 pm

How is 4Runner to daily drive on regular roads. How is it in the rain with 4wd

Blues

Post by Blues » Sun May 24, 2020 10:13 pm

sambb wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:56 pm
I don't commute, as I'm retired, but I've done multi-hundred mile drives on highways and in-town roads, and it's fine...depending on the tires you have mounted. It's not an economy vehicle when it comes to gas mileage, however. I've had no issues in the rain. 4WD is not necessary for rain, imho.

hudson

Post by hudson » Mon May 25, 2020 5:50 am

sambb wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:56 pm
It drives fine on regular roads and interstates. My SR5 has a high 4WD and a low 4WD. Both are only for low or lower speeds on off pavement or very slippery conditions.

There's a turn-around that I have to make regularly on a forest service road. It's on a steep uphill. The first turn takes me on a sharp downhill to the left. I'm always in 4WD low before I turn because all of the weight is now on the front wheels. The 4Runner backs right out. If the low 4WD didn't work there's another button or two to push that makes the traction even better. I made some notes and put them on the back of the sun visor.

My old 2 wheel drive Tacoma would have been stuck right there.

hudson

Post by hudson » Mon May 25, 2020 6:06 am

Blues wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:34 pm
hudson wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:09 pm

That's my neck of the woods you're discussing above, literally. And why I drive a 2016 Trail Edition Premium. 8-)
In January, I was trying to get to a trail-head for a hike to Wet Camp Gap on the border of the Pisgah and Nantahala National Forests. A friend gave me the general location. I looked at a topo. There were several choices in the maize of forest service roads, so I started trying them from East to West. None of them worked. FSR 1755 was the ugly one that I described above that would have taken me there but it was blocked....probably because the forest service decided to use it as a fire road only. We decided to make one more try on FSR 4655 off of Charlie's Creek Road....a very well maintained forest service road that took us right where we wanted to go....2WD all the way. I used regular topos and Google Maps....which doesn't work at all in that terrain. I should've used GAIA or Avenza maps which work without a cell signal. I should have also called my friend for the specific forest service road number.

Blues

Post by Blues » Mon May 25, 2020 7:13 am

Good stuff, hudson. :sharebeer

Ralph Furley

Post by Ralph Furley » Mon May 25, 2020 7:22 am

I'm on my second 4Runner. This one is a Trail Premium I bought new in 2017. I've driven both 4Runners across country a couple of times. I LOVE IT! Most of my friends drive luxury cars. They like to play golf. I drive a 4Runner. I like to go mountain biking and hiking, etc. So, this vehicle fits my lifestyle perfectly. It drives great. The reliability is awesome. Maintenance is low. It looks cool. It is big enough to carry plenty of toys.

If I purchased a new vehicle today, it would be another 4Runner.