Dual smoke detectors with voice location

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Eurookat

Dual smoke detectors with voice location

Post by Eurookat » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:51 am

These are considerably more and I'm surprised that only one manufacturer offers this type of detector. Are they useless? I found a first alert model for about $39 but there are plenty of other ones that are much cheaper. I know skimping on a device that could save my family life isn't ideal but what am i missing?

Also, I notice some detectors use the word smoke vs fire. Difference? We have a dual smoke/carbon detector in our kitchen and it never goes off when I'm trying things. Usually the one in our living room (just a smoke detector) goes off. I know the kitchen works because it seems to go off depending on what we do in the kitchen .

SimonJester

Re: Dual smoke detectors with voice location

Post by SimonJester » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:16 am

You are combining two different types of smoke detectors. Dual sensor meaning it has both photoelectric & ionization sensors, and Dual type meaning smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detector.

You want one smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector on each level of your house, you want a smoke detector in each bedroom.

Photoelectric detectors are good for smoldering fires, ionizing detectors and good for fast flaming fires.

https://www.firstalertstore.com/store/n ... arison.htm

I think the general consensus is place photoelectric detectors in bedrooms and ionizing detectors in the kitchen.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

NavyIC3

Post by NavyIC3 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:11 am

The most important thing with detectors are to have enough of them and make sure they are in working order. Test them frequently. I test mine monthly and change all batteries on January 1 of each year. Mine are hardwired so batteries are for backup.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:45 am

I'm assuming you are referring to the Nest product? It does come with a dual sensor plus detects carbon monoxide. Other features it has that I like is that it tests itself automatically once a month and sends updates to your phone so that you know they are working whether you are at home or away. It also tells you which battery needs replacing so you don't have to stand by each one waiting for it to periodically beep to narrow it down. They also have nightlights on them that work off movement though I don't personally use that feature. I was hesitant over the price but I haven't had any regrets since installing them.

queso

Post by queso » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:11 pm

I bought the FirstAlert system (smoke and CO). I think I have 6 or 7 of them in addition to a couple ADT monitored units. The system works pretty well. Costco has it currently as well - https://www.costco.com/First-Alert-Smok ... 47069.html. When it goes off they all alarm and tell you the location of the one that experienced the alert. Pretty handy since it notifies people where NOT to go and to head in the other direction to safety.

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:35 pm

The county where I live has a program where they install smoke detectors for seniors. They replaced mine, added some in areas where I had none, and the batteries are good for ten years. However, they still should be tested periodically. I think the replacement of detectors now in my state now mandates than they have the 10 year batteries.