How often do you replace your office shoes?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
kjvmartin

How often do you replace your office shoes?

Post by kjvmartin » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:06 am

Just curious here. How often do you wear out your daily office/work shoes? Mine are three years old today, and I keep thinking about replacing them. This past winter has seemed to accelerate the wear.

I alternate pairs so I tend to wear brown on Monday, black on Tuesday and so on. The brown ones are my goto, so they wear out a bit faster. I know there are people who buy Allen Edmonds and have them remanufactured, but I don't find those shoes comfortable or practical for my indoor/outdoor all weather urban job. My usual brand is found in most mall department stores.

runner3081

Re: How often do you replace your office shoes?

Post by runner3081 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:24 pm

I dump mine at 3-years (realistically, I should toss at 2.5 years, but use a polish sponge to get me through).

This will be HIGHLY dependent on the quality of shoe you purchase and weather.

I wear Bostonian with leather bottoms.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:37 pm

Used to have the shoes re-soled as needed. The leather lining would eventually wear out and make them almost unwearable and at that point I would wear them when it rained and then trash them, saving the laces for replacements if they were in good condition. Took many years to go through a pair but I wore a different pair each day of the work week. Always bought them on sale, too.
Last edited by Pajamas on Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:37 pm

I tend to wear my shoes until they are falling apart, so I usually wear mine about 3-4 years, depending on weather, etc. I usually replace them with shoes that cost about $35-$55.
“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” —Will Rogers

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:41 pm

I have quite a few pairs of shoes and I just alternate them, so they last me a very long time. The shoes I am wearing right now are well over a decade old...they are also Vans. I wore Vans at my wedding and am sort of known in my field for wearing skater/surfer casual shoes (Vans, Reefs, chukka boots) with formal/professional clothing. My boss has come to find it amusing, although at first he demanded I wear "grown-up" shoes when representing the company in public and I do own a few different pairs. I have a pair of formal dress wear shoes that I still wear often that were originally purchased for my prom (21yrs ago).

rec7

Post by rec7 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:42 pm

5 years I hate buying new shoes.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

doug1022

Post by doug1022 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:43 pm

I typically keep my "nice" shoes at the office where they should last forever with good care, as they are not exposed to the elements. I keep two pair of blacks and one pair of browns (2 out of the 3 are Allen Edmonds) under my desk and slip them on when I get to work, and take them off when I leave.

I wear a pair of cheap, but durable black dress shoes as my commuting shoes, which I typically have to replace every 6 months or so.

Smorgasbord

Post by Smorgasbord » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:43 pm

While I so far have a small sample size, I typically get 6-10 years out of a pair of office shoes. Part of the reason is that I change into tennis shoes when leaving the office so the only time the shoes see something other than tile/carpet is when I go to a formal client meeting.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:49 pm

Hmmmm.....my office shoes are a mix of hand me downs and hand me ups. I have 3 pairs of sneakers inherited from my dad when he passed 11 years ago. Reebok brown ones, White filas and white Asics. Then I've got the black sketchers that used to be my younger son's that I have on now.

I do have some fairly new (2 years old) all black leather sneakers that I use when I visit customers. Those will easily last until I retire.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:56 pm

I rotate through 4 pairs of Allen Edmonds Monday through Thursday. Fridays I wear suede chukkas.

I have my Allen Edmonds dress shoes resoled every two years through their recrafting program. Great video of the program below:

https://youtu.be/1cT5VJmmgVM

I like it because the shoes are as good as new but they're broken in perfectly.

Next time around I might do opt for the rubber option versus leather, rainy days in Houston really do a number on them.

Chukkas I replace every 2 years, there's three pairs I rotate through with dark denim.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:57 pm

3 years, 6-10 years, 5 years - wow.
Hopefully my wife isn't reading this :) - I buy new dress shoes every year. I have about 6 pairs I rotate between (cap-toe to wear with suits, another good slip-on dress pair to wear with dress pants, a more casual pair; then double that because I have black and brown). When the soles are worn down or they get scuffed beyond polishing out the scuffs I replace them. I typically replace one or two pairs each year. I do travel a lot though and if I am in NYC on a nice day I will walk between meetings rather than take the train or taxi so I may be putting more miles on my shoes than many folks. I believe travel takes a heavy toll on shoes in general (on planes I sometimes scuff them on the seats in front of me, snow/rain in certain places, etc.).
I mostly buy the higher end Johnston Murphy shoes (typically around $150-$200 a pair; perhaps as cheap as $100 on sale) since they seem to fit me the best.

Nestegg_User

Re: How often do you replace your * laboratory * shoes?

Post by Nestegg_User » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:19 pm

when w@rking, I typically wore decent non-slip shoes in the lab; I had other shoes for general meeting shoes (black or brown) and had higher end when giving presentations/platform sessions in conferences ...and steel-toed shoes for the pilot plant

wore through the lab shoes in usually two years but the others could go for years (didn’t try wearing in the elements) and some (like the Johnson-Murpheys) could be resoled to keep going. using your regular shoes for commuting keeps the wear and skuffing down for longevity of your better shoes.
Last edited by Nestegg_User on Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fujiters

Post by fujiters » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:26 pm

doug1022 wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:43 pm
I typically keep my "nice" shoes at the office where they should last forever with good care, as they are not exposed to the elements. I keep two pair of blacks and one pair of browns (2 out of the 3 are Allen Edmonds) under my desk and slip them on when I get to work, and take them off when I leave.

I wear a pair of cheap, but durable black dress shoes as my commuting shoes, which I typically have to replace every 6 months or so.
Great idea!
“The purpose of the margin of safety is to render the forecast unnecessary.” -Benjamin Graham

FlyAF

Post by FlyAF » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:30 pm

Quit wearing "office" shoes and dopey business attire 10+ years ago. Jeans and skate shoes FTW. Thank god millennials have helped to change how we must dress at mega-corp. I do have to wear long sleeves though because of sleeves of tattoos which can be a drag in the summer.

Darth Xanadu

Post by Darth Xanadu » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:04 pm

fujiters wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:26 pm
doug1022 wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:43 pm

Great idea!
Agreed, I love the Mr. Rogers approach! Mine are trashed, I should have replaced them a year or two ago.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:42 pm

FlyAF wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:30 pm
Quit wearing "office" shoes and dopey business attire 10+ years ago. Jeans and skate shoes FTW. Thank god millennials have helped to change how we must dress at mega-corp. I do have to wear long sleeves though because of sleeves of tattoos which can be a drag in the summer.
:thumbsup I work for an ultra-conservative company in an ultra-conservative area. My boss very nearly did not hire me because "my tie was too bright" when we first met. He now is coming around to letting me represent his multi-billion dollar baby in public wearing Vans and with a hint of a mohawk. A few weeks ago I had a TV interview and when I told him I wanted to wear a "form-fitting" company polo instead of a suit since I was representing the company as an exercise expert, his response was: "I trust your judgement young man". They are coming around.

Topic Author
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:51 pm

FlyAF wrote:
I'm mid 30s and think this change is the undesirable. I've seen how the overall "feel" or attitude of the office changes even on the casual days done to raise money. I think it's a sign of respect for your employer and line of work when you make an effort to dress the part.

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:03 pm

Approximately every 3 years.

As I'm on my feet all day long, I find the slip-on Merrell jungle mocs to be my go-to shoe. Several other medical professionals I know also swear by them.

ImUrHuckleberry

Post by ImUrHuckleberry » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:07 pm

I have a pair of black, burgundy, and grey.

Black ones get the most use and last about 1.5 years, 2-3 years for the burgundy, and the grey pair might last 5 years since I only wear them with jeans which I don't often wear to the office.

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:12 pm

I wear Ecco shoes at work, and walk about a mile to work every day.

My previous pair lasted about 7 years, through 100 degree heat and -30 cold and feet of snow. Towards the end, though, the sole was breaking apart and ripping and the shoes weren't all that comfortable anymore.

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:13 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:06 am
Just curious here. How often do you wear out your daily office/work shoes? Mine are three years old today, and I keep thinking about replacing them. This past winter has seemed to accelerate the wear.

I alternate pairs so I tend to wear brown on Monday, black on Tuesday and so on. The brown ones are my goto, so they wear out a bit faster. I know there are people who buy Allen Edmonds and have them remanufactured, but I don't find those shoes comfortable or practical for my indoor/outdoor all weather urban job. My usual brand is found in most mall department stores.
I can't even remember the last time I bought mine.

TSR

Post by TSR » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:16 pm

I tend to purchase nice ($100-300) walking-style shoes, and they last me 2-3 years (I walk maybe 16 blocks per day as part of my commute). My dress shoes for my suits last me much longer -- 8-10 years?

FlyAF

Post by FlyAF » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:21 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:51 pm
FlyAF wrote:
I'm mid 30s and think this change is the undesirable. I've seen how the overall "feel" or attitude of the office changes even on the casual days done to raise money. I think it's a sign of respect for your employer and line of work when you make an effort to dress the part.
Not me. I work better when I'm comfortable and not spending the day trying to keep a stupid button down tucked in.

N10sive

Post by N10sive » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:41 pm

FlyAF wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:21 pm
kjvmartin wrote:
FlyAF wrote:
Not me. I work better when I'm comfortable and not spending the day trying to keep a stupid button down tucked in.
I am also in the boat that the change in attire especially at tech companies is undesirable. It was a very big change for me at my current megacorp. Previously I was at a very small company and a new CEO was hired from a megacorp and he showed up in flip flops and shorts one day. I was flabbergasted at that. Previously it was jeans/polo/dress shoes for lower level employees and slack/dress shirts/dress shoes for upper level.

It would be a interesting study about the new culture and how it affects productivity and viewpoints in the workplace. I remember once reading when you look good/feel good (regarding attire) that you perform better. Of course that can be said in either of these scenarios but I remember it was in response to the former.

Biglaw Investor

Post by Biglaw Investor » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:44 pm

kjvmartin wrote:

I replace my shoes about every 3 years as well. I just did this a couple of months ago and after doing it realized I probably should have replaced them sooner! They get a lot of wear and tear walking around NYC.

TheDDC

Post by TheDDC » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:47 pm

Every 2 years maybe? I've bought from a few places, but my latest find is LL Bean. I wear a slip on shoe that works well. I've tried two styles and like both.

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 90-100% VTSAX piled high and deep, 0-10% VIGAX tilt, 0% given away to banks, minimize amount given to medical-industrial complex

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:43 pm

N10sive wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:41 pm
FlyAF wrote:
kjvmartin wrote:
FlyAF wrote:
I am also in the boat that the change in attire especially at tech companies is undesirable. It was a very big change for me at my current megacorp. Previously I was at a very small company and a new CEO was hired from a megacorp and he showed up in flip flops and shorts one day. I was flabbergasted at that. Previously it was jeans/polo/dress shoes for lower level employees and slack/dress shirts/dress shoes for upper level.

It would be a interesting study about the new culture and how it affects productivity and viewpoints in the workplace. I remember once reading when you look good/feel good (regarding attire) that you perform better. Of course that can be said in either of these scenarios but I remember it was in response to the former.
I'm "upper level" in an ultra conservative health company. Up until a few years ago, even shirts that were anything but white and the slightest hint of a beard were no-gos. Today it is khakis and polos when we are in the office and jeans on Fridays, even for the four founders. Generally suits when making public-facing appearances, but that is slowly changing as well. I'm definitely more comfortable siding more to casual and I am one who has pushed the boundaries (while always talking to my boss, one of the founders), but if someone showed up in shorts or sandals (regardless of position), they'd probably get escorted by security out of our building.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:49 pm

Once or twice a year. Tom's from their warehouse sale, $14-20 each. I leave them at work as I need to wear heavy duty boots for winter biking and my summer shoes are sometimes wet from rain on the morning commute.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

FraggleRock

Office shoes are still a thing?

Post by FraggleRock » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:52 pm

Never.
I don't wear shoes in the office.
I have not for 21.5 years.

Frodo Baggins is my mentor.
Last edited by FraggleRock on Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MattE

Post by MattE » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:53 pm

I replace mine probably once a year because I wear my every-day, beat-'em-up Nikes to my office 'cause I couldn't possibly concur more vigorously with FlyAF. Any day that doesn't involve customer interaction has no need for a dress code.

Iliketoridemybike

Post by Iliketoridemybike » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:04 pm

I find a maker that works for me, knowing my size well and tag a search on eBay. Someone is always selling a pair they bought too small or too big and not many people buy used shoes, so the price is about a third of new. With that strategy I buy shoes every year. And sell the old ones on eBay :twisted:

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:09 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
FlyAF wrote:
I understand this perspective, but as someone who has had to dress professionally for most of my career, I somewhat resent the large amounts of money I've spent on work clothes. But dress clothes are still spendy, despite my efforts to not overpay. I am thrilled that the trend is toward more casual attire, as casual clothes are more multi-purpose and less expensive.

Tal-

Post by Tal- » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:14 pm

Every 12 months, give or take.

I buy fairly inexpensive shoes, wear them 4 days a week, and don't take care of them.

After reading this thread, I now feel wasteful. :(
Debt is to personal finance as a knife is to cooking.

AllieTB1323

Re: How often do you replace your * laboratory * shoes?

Post by AllieTB1323 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:24 pm

Nestegg_User wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:19 pm
when w@rking, I typically wore decent non-slip shoes in the lab; I had other shoes for general meeting shoes (black or brown) and had higher end when giving presentations/platform sessions in conferences ...and steel-toed shoes for the pilot plant

wore through the lab shoes in usually two years but the others could go for years (didn’t try wearing in the elements) and some (like the Johnson-Murpheys) could be resoled to keep going. using your regular shoes for commuting keeps the wear and skuffing down for longevity of your better shoes.
In the lab I usually wore slip-on Dexters. The lab was inorganic and the major hazard was water. In the office behind my desk just socks. If I had to meet clients, then I had a pair of Mephistos.

Darwin

Post by Darwin » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:06 pm

I replace my heavy-duty hiking boots on average every three-four years, once they've been ripped to shreds by hiking through dense thorny brush and the Vibram soles have lost their tread. Some jobs are harder on shoes than others... I love my job. :happy
No planet, no business. Earth bats last.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:32 pm

I usually wear each pair 2 times or so per week on average, leather loafer or lace-up type men's dress shoes with rubber soles. They usually start looking ratty, even with shine jobs every few weeks, or start to fall apart after 3-5 years and I throw them out. Usually $100-$175 (on sale) shoes like Cole Haan.

I work in a somewhat safety-orientated environment, so the expensive leather soled, re-soleable ones like Allen Edmonds are too slippery/no traction and a bit too formal/old man-ish for me.

Post by 123 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:09 pm

Before we moved to more casual attire at work I rotated through 4 or 5 pair of identical black dress shoes. I had a nearby shoe repair guy who put new soles and heals on them for me every couple of years. I brought 4 pair in for refurbishment at a time so the repair guy knew the drill and would usually say "Long time no see".
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

joeblow

Post by joeblow » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:15 pm

I have 2-4 pairs at a time and usually have them refurbished at a local cobbler. They'll last 5+ years easily.

However, I decided to replace mine recently and picked up a pair of Bruno Magli loafers. Dear god, I'll be buying more of these shoes soon. Not sure how long they'll last but they are the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn right out of the fancy box and cloth bag they came in. I wish I would have spent the money on them sooner.

tranquility

Post by tranquility » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:17 pm

Believe it or not; now that you ask mine is 20 years old and still going strong.

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:50 pm

big Allen Edmonds fan. Recrafting is fantastic.

The last time I sent in a pair -- third time in 20 years --- the leather split. AE said no problem, pick something out of the catalog to replace them. Wonderful customer service.

Topic Author
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:13 pm

Big Dog wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:50 pm

The last time I sent in a pair -- third time in 20 years --- the leather split. AE said no problem, pick something out of the catalog to replace them. Wonderful customer service.
So hard for me to get into AE. I haven't found one "last" that felt comfortable enough for me to wear out of the store. Of course, they say it needs to break in. That's an awful expensive gamble for something they probably won't want to take back after it's broken in and still feels bad. Any suggestions for how to get around this fear? I would love the idea of a 20 year shoe I could keep under the desk at work and change into each day. I'd wait for a sale, of course, but can't get over the fear of hating it even after breaking it in.

kjvm

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:42 am

kjvmartin wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:13 pm
Big Dog wrote:

So hard for me to get into AE. I haven't found one "last" that felt comfortable enough for me to wear out of the store. Of course, they say it needs to break in. That's an awful expensive gamble for something they probably won't want to take back after it's broken in and still feels bad. Any suggestions for how to get around this fear? I would love the idea of a 20 year shoe I could keep under the desk at work and change into each day. I'd wait for a sale, of course, but can't get over the fear of hating it even after breaking it in.

kjvm
Have you gone into the store to actually get fitted by an Allen Edmonds person. I went into an AE store and told them my shoe size, and that nothing I had tried before felt comfortable. Well, they measured my feet and it turns out I was looking at the wrong size for that particular last. I went down half a size on the Fifth Avenues, and they fit like a dream! I also like the Park Avenues though I don't find those as comfortable. There were several other models/lasts that I liked but none of them fit me. You have to experiment a lot instead of assuming you "know" your shoe size.

I have had my AEs for a few years now, and my Fifth Avenues fit like a glove. The top of the shoe has become very pliable and soft and offers no resistance when I walk. There are the usual scuffs, but I am definitely going to re-sole/recraft this shoe when the time comes. I bought it as a factory second at $169, so it was worth every single penny. 8-)

If you alternate your AE shoes, so that they have time to dry out and to rest, they last a long time before needing to be recrafted. I calculated the cost and it is less than buying cheap shoes that you have to throw every two years. If you buy AE shoes brand new at $400 a pair, your breakeven point will be far longer, but their factory seconds are a genuinely sweet deal.

Topic Author
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:04 am

Caduceus wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:42 am
kjvmartin wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:13 pm
Big Dog wrote:

kjvm
Have you gone into the store to actually get fitted by an Allen Edmonds person.
Probably good advice. I went to my local store and to try on the standard Park Aves but I wasn't planning on buying there. They were a bit busy, and I probably could have monopolized the salesman's time trying to figure out a size/shoe that worked for me. I'm going to have to get fitted and then go home and wait for seconds/sales in order to stomach the cost. I agree with you that over time this is a much more cost effective way to own shoes.

Toons

Post by Toons » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:08 am

My Crocs usually last a couple years.
:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

epictetus

Post by epictetus » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:12 am

I wear SAS shoes to work (San Antonio Shoes).

I alternate between 2 pair (one on M,W, F the other on Tu/Th)

They last for many, many years before they need to be replaced.
Focus on what you can control

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:35 am

Is an "office shoe" a dress shoe?

JT

hilink73

Post by hilink73 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:44 am

kjvmartin wrote:

I have about 5 pairs of hand-made leather shoes.
With proper care (shoe polish, shoe spanner, timely sole replacement, never wear a pair on two consecutive days), a pair lasts certainly 10 years.

For all weather, this might look different, yes.

hilink73

Post by hilink73 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:51 am

FlyAF wrote:
I work better when I'm comfortable and not spending the day trying to keep a stupid button down tucked in.
There are at least three reasons for this to happen:
- Shirt too tight
- Trousers too tight
- Trouser/jeans too low cut (eeewwww)
(or a nice combination of these)

(And button down shirts seem to be fancied in the US only. Never wear button down with a tie. Eeeeww!)

hilink73

Post by hilink73 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:55 am

stimulacra wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:56 pm
I rotate through 4 pairs of Allen Edmonds Monday through Thursday. Fridays I wear suede chukkas.

I have my Allen Edmonds dress shoes resoled every two years through their recrafting program. Great video of the program below:

https://youtu.be/1cT5VJmmgVM

I like it because the shoes are as good as new but they're broken in perfectly.

Next time around I might do opt for the rubber option versus leather, rainy days in Houston really do a number on them.

Chukkas I replace every 2 years, there's three pairs I rotate through with dark denim.
Nice one.

I switched to rubber this winter.
So much better with wet/icy streets in winter.

Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:00 am

About every 2-3 years. I buy slip-on office shoes from Ecco, Clarks, Bostonian, and Rockport.