Waterbury, Stowe, Burlington, VT

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
fishmonger

Waterbury, Stowe, Burlington, VT

Post by fishmonger » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:05 am

Lifelong New Englander here, but have only spent a small amount of time in northern VT (mostly stuck to Maine, NH, Mass). Wife and I and two kids ages 8 and 7 are thinking about heading up to the Burlington area over Memorial Day.

Any ideas or tips on what to do or where to stay? We'd hit the ECHO Lake Aquarium, Ben and Jerry's, etc. Not looking for just kid's activities, wife and I both love excellent food and beer - and the kids are very used to hanging out in breweries so that will definitely be part of the trip.

Any tips would be appreciated!!

SrGrumpy

Re: Waterbury, Stowe, Burlington, VT

Post by SrGrumpy » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:30 am

Burlington has a great cidery and a couple of microbreweries. We stayed at an Airbnb in Stowe. There's a nearby one-stop shop - Cabot Cheese? - offering whisky tastings, cheese and chocolate - the 3 best food groups. Ben and Jerry's - interesting to a degree. I rather enjoyed Montpelier, and the free tour of the capitol. Memorial Day weekend? Hmmm.

beardsworth

Post by beardsworth » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:36 am

Montpelier is also the site of the New England Culinary Institute, which operates several restaurants.

https://www.neci.edu/our-restaurants.php?tab=3

ZapRowsdower

Post by ZapRowsdower » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:39 am

I visit Burlington pretty frequently for work and the farmhouse(http://www.farmhousetg.com/) is a place that I always stop at. They have a great selection of beers on tap, and the food is good too, although a bit pricey.

If you're looking for a great sandwich shop, check out Martones over in Essex.

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:41 am

beardsworth wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:36 am
Montpelier is also the site of the New England Culinary Institute, which operates several restaurants.

https://www.neci.edu/our-restaurants.php?tab=3
Love the Three Penny Taproom in Montpelier

johan_s

Post by johan_s » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:49 am

Off the top of my head.

Too many breweries to choose from: Hill Farmstead Brewery in Greensboro has been rated near the top for the last couple years; about 90 minutes from Burlington, but if you’re headed to Stowe, you’re half way there. It’ll be a long wait on a holiday weekend, which I’m sure you expected. Stone Corral in Richmond is a nice brewery/pub; had an excellent charcuterie/cheese board and flights on our last visit. Foley Bros. Then hit up Sweet Simone’s bakery in town. Excellent pastries. (If you’re hikers, Camel’s Hump is a great long hike to burn some calories.)

Myer’s Bagels in Burlington: outstanding wood fired Montreal style bagels.

Prohibition Pig in Waterbury is a laidback good dinner/beer option; BBQ and VT beer, you can’t go wrong.

If you need a break from the deluge of cheese, maple, and Double IPAs, Single Pebble in Burlington is an excellent Chinese option.

And Citizen Cider, if you need to diversify your drinking options. And Foley Bros. Brew in Brandon; excellent beers.

financeidiot

Post by financeidiot » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:41 am

I was in Stowe for a wedding last October. Took a hike before the procession and saw lots of trout. Wish I had a fly rod. There's some fly fishing shops near the area, lots of hiking. I believe you might be able to do mountain biking trails where the ski runs are at Stowe.

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:41 am

johan_s wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:49 am
Off the top of my head.

Too many breweries to choose from: Hill Farmstead Brewery in Greensboro has been rated near the top for the last couple years; about 90 minutes from Burlington, but if you’re headed to Stowe, you’re half way there. It’ll be a long wait on a holiday weekend, which I’m sure you expected. Stone Corral in Richmond is a nice brewery/pub; had an excellent charcuterie/cheese board and flights on our last visit. Foley Bros. Then hit up Sweet Simone’s bakery in town. Excellent pastries. (If you’re hikers, Camel’s Hump is a great long hike to burn some calories.)

Myer’s Bagels in Burlington: outstanding wood fired Montreal style bagels.

Prohibition Pig in Waterbury is a laidback good dinner/beer option; BBQ and VT beer, you can’t go wrong.

If you need a break from the deluge of cheese, maple, and Double IPAs, Single Pebble in Burlington is an excellent Chinese option.

And Citizen Cider, if you need to diversify your drinking options. And Foley Bros. Brew in Brandon; excellent beers.
Have been to Prohibition Pig before. That might the stop on the way up.

Any ideas on places to stay? Kids love staying in a hotel with a pool so we may just keep it simple and go Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn, etc.

johan_s

Post by johan_s » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:00 am

Sorry, I live 90 minutes south of Burlington, so I haven’t stayed in any of the hotels or resorts. We usually camp at one of the state parks in the area if we’re doing an overnight.

Radjob4me

Post by Radjob4me » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:34 pm

Burlington is such a fun small city. If you want to be right in the middle of town and be by the lake with a pool, try the Hilton or Hilton Garden Inn. If you don;t mind being a bit out of town, the Green Mountain Suites are the best!

Church street is so much fun on a nice day to walk around and eat/drink. For food/beer, I agree with Farmhouse Tap and Single Pebble. Also the Skinny Pancake for out of this world crepes that range from breakfast to dinner/burritos style to sweet.

For fun brewery experience in Burlington, try Fiddlehead if the weather is nice. They are attached to a really good pizza place where you can order and eat outside and grab fresh beer (BYOB) from the brewery.

If you are an IPA fan, the you should hit the new Alchemist brewery in Stowe (I was just there yesterday) to have Heady Topper and they now also have a good selection of other hoppy beers - they had 7 different beers on tap -but it is a brewery only... For a good combined brewery and food experience in Stowe, Idletyme brewing in Stowe is great too. The Depot Street Malt shop is an old-time diner style that is fun for kids with good food. If you stay in Stowe and go upscale for dinner try Harrison's.

My favorite restaurant in Vermont is in Waterbury - Hen of the Wood, but have only been when it is just me and my wife and no kids... They do have a branch at the Hotel Vermont in Burlington. It is pricey but honestly one of the best meals I've ever had...

finally don't overlook Montpelier as others have shared. The country's smallest capital city - fun fact - is very fun for a day of walking around. Three Penny Taproom as someone mentioned is great, as is the NE culinary institute. The Mad Taco is tasty and quick.

Obviously I really like the Route 89 corridor in VT. You could spend a few weeks eating and drinking your way through it...

gogleheads.orb

Post by gogleheads.orb » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:44 pm

That Sunday morning is the Vermont City Marathon in Burlington. It might get in your way a bit, but it is a cool community thing so it might be worthwhile to watch it a bit.

I think NECI has gone down hill. I stopped in the cafe in Montpelier and it wasn't good.

Has anyone mentioned Shelburne Farms? It is quite cool.
Also Shelburne museum. stowe auto road. There are lots of cool small towns in the area. Middlebury, Bristol, Richmond. A drive to the Champlain islands can be nice.

Rainier

Post by Rainier » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:24 pm

gogleheads.orb wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:44 pm
That Sunday morning is the Vermont City Marathon in Burlington. It might get in your way a bit, but it is a cool community thing so it might be worthwhile to watch it a bit.

I think NECI has gone down hill. I stopped in the cafe in Montpelier and it wasn't good.

Has anyone mentioned Shelburne Farms? It is quite cool.
Also Shelburne museum. stowe auto road. There are lots of cool small towns in the area. Middlebury, Bristol, Richmond. A drive to the Champlain islands can be nice.
Some of the best beers in the country are coming out of that part of Vermont right now.

Yes, watch out for the Vermont City Marathon Sunday morning. It runs through the city early, but by 10am it is mostly along the lake front and easy to avoid. Check out a map, you just don't want to get stuck someplace, otherwise it is fun to go watch. Runners go up and down Church Street twice, from what I remember when I ran it 5 times.

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:40 pm

If you or your kids enjoy parades, the Memorial Day parade in Vergennes is the largest in the state. It's a real celebration of small-town America and down-home patriotism. Count on seeing the governor and Sen. Bernie walking in it. A ceremony at the City Park (town green) follows the parade as well as a barbecue chicken dinner at the local Legion post.
Friar1610