new mattress/bed - king size upstairs

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
guitarguy

new mattress/bed - king size upstairs

Post by guitarguy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:49 pm

Hi All,

I've done a search and read a thread or 2 on new mattresses here...we're looking at purchasing soon...and Mrs. Guitarguy has demanded we go from Queen to King. Little does she know I'm still going to hog the bed and sleep on top of her...but that's another story.

We've settled on the idea of ordering online, and more than likely going with a foam style to start (Tuft & Needle or Leesa probably). We've slept on a traditional "pillowtop" whatever for the last 10 years and it's OK...but is sagging in the middle...and I hear these styles shouldn't have that issue. Plus the 100 night hassle free trial is very appealing.

That said, from shopping on their sites, I don't seem to see a 2-piece box spring / foundation available. We'll definitely need this in 2-pieces to get it upstairs. Do they sell these anywhere? Anyone know?

Also, since these mattresses don't have springs or rods to be damaged or bent, I assume folding it somehow to get it upstairs won't be an issue? I've got to think people have king size beds upstairs in many homes...but our queen is already a tight fit (without bending or anything) to get upstairs...so a king would have to be manipulated somehow to fit.

:sharebeer to this miserable experience of mattress / bed shopping :(

Pajamas

Re: new mattress/bed - king size upstairs

Post by Pajamas » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:57 pm

guitarguy wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:49 pm

That said, from shopping on their sites, I don't seem to see a 2-piece box spring / foundation available. We'll definitely need this in 2-pieces to get it upstairs. Do they sell these anywhere? Anyone know?

Also, since these mattresses don't have springs or rods to be damaged or bent, I assume folding it somehow to get it upstairs won't be an issue? I've got to think people have king size beds upstairs in many homes...but our queen is already a tight fit (without bending or anything) to get upstairs...so a king would have to be manipulated somehow to fit.
Yes, an all-foam mattress can be bent. They are usually delivered rolled and compressed, anyway.

https://www.google.com/search?q=foam+ma ... 0&tbm=isch

You don't use a box spring with a foam mattress. Any flat surface will do, preferably one that is ventilated, for instance, slats.

https://www.google.com/search?q=platfor ... 0&tbm=isch

If you need a foundation for the height to work with an existing bed frame and headboard, you can get one that comes in two pieces ("split" foundation) or use two twin foundations.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:02 pm

I've been pleased with my Leesa bed. We also have a traditional spring mattress in another bedroom, and I find it less comfortable even though it cost more.

One nice thing about the Leesa (and other internet foam mattresses) is that you don't need a crew trapsing through your house to get the bed in. In packed form, it's quite easy to maneuver (granted, it will be no easier than spring if you ever need to move it again since it can't be repacked like it comes from the factory).

Snapper

Post by Snapper » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:03 pm

Beds come in a box and inflate on opening. Just carry upstairs. Then inflate. I have two Leesas and have ordered and returned Tuft and Needle. T&N is very firm and not comfortable. You have 100 day return with both and it works fine to return it. As far as foundations, you can use any box spring. I believe Leesa sells one that is in parts when it comes, so easy to ship and move. Leesa is a very good company to work with as is T&N. Be sure you order direct on their website. If you buy from Amazon you do not have the return period. You have to deal with Amazons standard return policy and could end up paying for pickup. No reason to insert them in the deal.
Good luck.

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:22 pm

Snapper wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:03 pm
Beds come in a box and inflate on opening. Just carry upstairs. Then inflate. I have two Leesas and have ordered and returned Tuft and Needle. T&N is very firm and not comfortable. You have 100 day return with both and it works fine to return it. As far as foundations, you can use any box spring. I believe Leesa sells one that is in parts when it comes, so easy to ship and move. Leesa is a very good company to work with as is T&N. Be sure you order direct on their website. If you buy from Amazon you do not have the return period. You have to deal with Amazons standard return policy and could end up paying for pickup. No reason to insert them in the deal.
Good luck.
T&N has a new "Mint" model out that looks similar in construction to the Leesa...so we're def open to trying both. In fact we may purposefully do that to see which one we like better, and send the other back.

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:39 pm

We purchased a king size Nectar Mattress aboutn 4-5 weeks ago. It is marketed as "medium-firm" but more on the firm side. We like firm so not an issue at all.

The mattress is awesome and we really like it. Reason I ordered Nectar was because they have a 365 day trial period. I wanted to make sure the summer months don't have me sweating in my bed due to heat retention issues and buying a mattress with "only" a 100 day trial period would not have worked.

If you like medium-firm to firm mattresses, I'd recommend Nectar for sure.

celia

Post by celia » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:50 pm

guitarguy wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:49 pm
I've done a search and read a thread or 2 on new mattresses here...we're looking at purchasing soon...and Mrs. Guitarguy has demanded we go from Queen to King. Little does she know I'm still going to hog the bed and sleep on top of her...but that's another story.
Since you brought it up, maybe you need separate beds. You can each get what you want if you get a queen and she gets a king. But that's another story. She needs a good night's sleep to do what she needs to do during the day. :D

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:52 pm

The king size foam beds will come packed pretty small but will still be very heavy, they could be over 100lbs.

Audiophile

Post by Audiophile » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:58 pm

Over six (6) years ago, I did a copious amount of mattress research. Excluding my Bogleheads Forum find, the Mattress Underground Forum https://www.themattressunderground.com/ ... forum.html was my best forum find!

As a result of the MattressUnderground and other research, we purchased a 100% NATURAL LATEX mattress from: https://www.sleepez.com/pages/natural-l ... ess-models.

We "built" the mattress from (4) 3 inch layers of NATURAL LATEX in a split-mattress format. One side of varying firmness for my wife, and one side of varying firmness for me. Each 3" foam layer is lightly rolled-up and shipped in its own fairly small size, light weight box. One places the mattress cover down on the platform of there choosing and then places each layer down, one on top of the other. Once all layers are placed and arranged as to their firmness, the mattress cover is zipped around the latex layers, forming what appears to be a "normal" looking mattress. But there are no springs to wear out and no inexpensive air pocketed filled foam or mysterious fibrous materials to compress, wear and deform, requiring the premature need for a new mattress.

Thereafter, some of the mail order mattresses mentioned here, have come to market. Normally, these are a fully formed mattress, oftentimes made from undefined materials or marketing assigned names and materials, that leaves one wondering what they're really getting. Moreover, they generally lack the ability to create 2-different sleeping sides.

After 6-years, our mattress appears and sleeps like the day we got it. No sore backs, no indentations, no sagging, none!

Formerly, we were buying spring based mattresses every 7-10 years and probably for our backs, should have done so before then. These were costly, supposedly high quality mattress brands. The ones everyone hears and sees advertised and are reviewed by Consumer Reports. The ones that local dealers sell, but with model names that are different from different retailers (but the same guts and materials), to keep the average consumer from comparison shopping. I recall spring counting to discover whether I was comparing the price of the company's identical model against the identical model found elsewhere (but with a different model name, forehead slap!!!). But whether the same spring count was identical, one really didn't know if the springs were of the same gauge or what the other padding materials were -- what a PITA and I am so glad that attempt to comparison shop is over. Tired of such foolishness, propelled me to do the aforementioned research and buy based on logic and empirical information rather than marketing hokum and I'm so glad I did. So much so, that we're getting ready to move from a Queen to a King bed and will be again buying a 100% Natural Latex split-sided "mattress".

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:05 am

Casper is one that we will be looking into.

cusetownusa

Post by cusetownusa » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:39 am

I just bought the Amerisleep AS3...So far I love it but I have 100 days to decide to return it. All of the online companies offer at least a 100 day no hassle return policy...they will come to your house and pick it up so no need to repackage.

I did a ton of research and while I settled in on the Amerisleep (at least for now)...I wouldn't hesitate buying from the following as they all had great reviews:

Casper
Leesa
Purple (was really close to trying this out...seems very unique)
Nectar
Etc...there are more good options but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

For all of them I would suggest ordering directly from the maker...will be much easier to deal with the 100 day return if needed. The customer service with Amerisleep was excellent. They had a couple day delay in shipping so they through in 2 memory foam pillows for free.

I ordered a slat bed frame from Amazon to put the mattress on. I just carried the mattress box upstairs and opened the mattress up while on the slat bed frame and watched it expand. Super easy.

Impromptu

Post by Impromptu » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:05 pm

Bump.

We moved and want a king sized bed, too. I think we will try the new Purple 4. It is supposed to be good for big guys and side sleepers. Sleeps cool. Still a little bounce and responsiveness, so I will not get stuck sunk down.
I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.

Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:02 am

Bump!!

Any opinions on dreamcloud? (Sister company from nektar i believe). DreamCloud The Comfortable Luxury Mattress
https://www.dreamcloudsleep.com/

Related, how about the sealy hybrid models? Opinions?

I think we like the hybrid option. Memory foam plus coils.
I am worried about how i get this king upstairs too....

Thank you!
Buy Low, Sell High

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:30 pm

My daughter recently purchased the Live and Sleep mattress for her apartment via Amazon. It came rolled up in a box and I had the honors of carrying it up the steps to her 3rd floor apartment. The full size version weighed about 55 pounds. It was a manageable 1 person carry. For a queen or king, it should be an easy 2 person carry.

She also bought the Zinus 14 inch Smartbase. This came in a fairly small box considering that it is the modern day equivalent of a box spring. There was about 5 minutes of assembly using only an allen wrench. The design is clever as once assembled, there is ample room under the frame for storage boxes.

Now I understand why several of the local mattress stores have gone out of business lately.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:53 pm

Tagged

BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:27 pm

Split King mattresses seen to be very common now which really help with transportation! A king is just the size of two XL twin mattresses. We've had no complaints with a split King, and just use normal deep pocket King sized sheets (some will claim you need separate fitted sheets but this isn't the case).

We bought a tempurpedic knockoff from Costco about 6 years ago and absolutely love it. It has split adjustable bases and the whole bed cost less than one single tempurpedic base.

I recently priced out for someone who was asking and it's still less than 2500 and that includes "white glove" delivery and set-up and hauling your old mattress away. Plus you have Costco return policy!

We actually bought it before we were even members. I think we just paid something like 55 more to join when we bought it?

I highly highly recommend the bed.

It was the Sleep Science 10" Memory Foam Split-King Mattress with Adjustable Base - Item# 436276

Not sure if that item number is still valid...

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:55 pm

Have you looked into Casper inflatable mattresses, I've heard they're good.

https://casper.com
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.