Want/need some income in semi-retirement

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
dbr

Re: Want/need some income in semi-retirement

Post by dbr » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:21 am

dm200 wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:19 am
dbr wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:15 am
dm200 wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:12 am
While we live in a high cost of living area, our COL is not that high. Our Medicare medical costs are very good (compared to the average) and we live in out home of many decades. We get real estate tax exemption and put low mileage on older cars.
But are the suggestions helping?
Yes - very much .. Thanks to all. Some are not applicable, some are things I was considering and some are new possibilities.
I hope things work out. Good luck.

onourway

Post by onourway » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:36 am

dm200 wrote:
While we live in a high cost of living area, our COL is not that high. Our Medicare medical costs are very good (compared to the average) and we live in out home of many decades. We get real estate tax exemption and put low mileage on older cars.
Presumably then your home is paid for. If you sold the home and re-located to a LCOL area presumably you could convert a bunch of your current home's value to investments providing you with the necessary income.

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:38 am

onourway wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:36 am
dm200 wrote:
Presumably then your home is paid for. If you sold the home and re-located to a LCOL area presumably you could convert a bunch of your current home's value to investments providing you with the necessary income.
True - but many "considerations"

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:41 am

dm200 wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:19 am
dbr wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:15 am
dm200 wrote:
But are the suggestions helping?
Yes - very much .. Thanks to all. Some are not applicable, some are things I was considering and some are new possibilities.
Terrific!!!

So often the forum throws out a million options and suggestions (some on point and some not) hoping at least some of it will "stick to the wall". But, we don't always find out how much of it was useful.

Please let us know "what stuck". . to help others in similar situations.

mahalo
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

onourway

Post by onourway » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:44 am

dm200 wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:38 am
True - but many "considerations"
Always are! I guess it depends on how that compares to the reality of going back to work. I think the analysis done earlier is pretty spot-on. Barring any ability to do consulting-style work related to your primary expertise, most jobs available to you are going to be low pay and not interesting. You'll have to work quite a few hours to net your desired amount.

p14175

Post by p14175 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:09 pm

cockersx3 wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:04 pm
p14175 wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:44 pm
I was forced into early retirement due to health issues. It hasn't been much fun. So I looked at my skill set and decided that I could write software. I spent many years programming for a living so it was an easy choice. I figured if I spent a year or two getting up to speed on the most popular programming languages I wouldn't have much trouble finding contract work -- or maybe starting my own software company. One thing nice about programming is you can pretty much live anywhere.
Im not the OP, but this sounds cool to me....like the idea of working part time and remotely, albeit at lower pay probably. Are you doing contract work now, or still in the learning phase? How would you get contracts? Curious about details...
I am in the learning/development phase. I have been working on a very ambitious software project that's about 25% complete. The goal is to sell it or give it away on the Internet when it's done. At that point, the software could be my career or it could be an entry on my resume.

magazinewriter

Post by magazinewriter » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:27 pm

Any musical talent? A friend’s husband was laid off in his late 50s from a stressful sales job. He started a one-man musical performance business (not sure what to call it). He plays guitar and sings. He came up with a catchy name and printed business cards. At first he tried to get jobs at the bars and resorts in our area, but many of them were slow in paying or bounced checks.

Somehow he got the idea of playing at nursing homes and assisted living facilities. They all provide activities for residents. They love him and he loves the residents. Some residents ask him about certain songs and he learns them for his next visit. He’s been doing this for seven or eight years and could easily retire but he loves it.

Zonian59

Post by Zonian59 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:45 pm

I've been thinking of the same thing.
I don't think home depot or walmart is for me though.

I used to be a number-cruncher/pencil-pusher analyst at a megacorp until I became semi-retired.
I've been thinking about part-time tax preparer at HR Block.
Anybody here do that and what's your experience?

Thanks.

GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:58 pm

You'll probably obtain more useful, as opposed to random, suggestions if you provide some relevant information: what are your skills, education, and hobbies? Can/will your spouse work to help make up the shortfall? For what length of time do you require supplemental income? What factors tie you to your current residence, preventing you from relocating to an environment where your income better matches your needs?

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:13 pm

Zonian59 wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:45 pm
I've been thinking of the same thing.
I don't think home depot or walmart is for me though.

I used to be a number-cruncher/pencil-pusher analyst at a megacorp until I became semi-retired.

Thanks.
That was a suggestion I threw out earlier. It doesn’t seem like a stretch for a Boglehead that already knows quite a bit about finances.

Somebody in extended family who has been retired many years volunteers to help people with taxes. I think his background was engineering or IT, so you don’t have to have a financial background to do it. He must like it ok, I can’t imagine him doing it at 80 years old if he hated it. It may be something I look into down the road - I’m actually a cpa but have never done tax nor practiced as a cpa.

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:30 pm

They were younger but I have known several people that were school bus drivers to get some income and benefits as a pre-retirement job. At least around here they are always looking for school bus drivers since it has odd and limited hours so it does not work well for someone that needs full time work. School cafeteria workers may be in a similar situation.

Someone else mentioned day care but also consider doing baby sitting. Some people don't like leaving their kids with teenagers, if they can even find them.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:34 pm

Watty wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:30 pm
They were younger but I have known several people that were school bus drivers to get some income and benefits as a pre-retirement job. At least around here they are always looking for school bus drivers since it has odd and limited hours so it does not work well for someone that needs full time work. School cafeteria workers may be in a similar situation.

Someone else mentioned day care but also consider doing baby sitting. Some people don't like leaving their kids with teenagers, if they can even find them.
Good point.
There are several retired seniors in our area that deliver mail for the post office.
Various hours and days.
j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

MnyGrl

Post by MnyGrl » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:37 am

I live in a HCOL area too, and the demand is very high for in-home services like AirBNB (renting out your home or a room in your home, for a time period that you specify) and rover.com (pet sitting in your home).

Padlin

Post by Padlin » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:41 pm

Zonian59 wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:45 pm

Thanks.
Not me but my brother has done taxes for seniors for years as a volunteer in his town. Last year he decided to try H&R and get paid for it, he quit after a few weeks.

The job itself was easy, ended up he knew more then anyone else in the shop so they asked him to be supervisor, which he refused. The problem was that they push you to sell add on services that the customers didn't need. All he wanted to do was taxes to help folks, not be a salesman.

There is a yearly training course he had to take for the volunteer job, I don't recall if there was one for H&R.
Regards | Bob

cruzbay

Post by cruzbay » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:58 pm

You might want to get on nextdoor.com for your neighborhood and see what people need or do a posting offering your services. Our site in Northern VA had someone the other day who had recent knee surgery and needed some help around the house, there are a great variety of people seeking help and maybe you could build a small portfolio of such 'gigs' to bring in some income, offer flexibility and stay close to home.

btenny

Post by btenny » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:59 pm

I know this is not what you ask. But have you looked into doing a reverse mortgage on your home? I had a very good friend who did one of these back in 2003ish. He needed money and was too old to work. He got a small reverse mortgage loan and started receiving monthly payments. Every thing was great. He continued to goof off and play with various projects.

Then when the world crashed in 2009 he was able to revise his reverse mortgage and increase his loan to 2Xish his initial amount. He wanted more money to help his kids during that time. Again it worked out great. The only commitment he had was that the mortgage people got title to his home on his death and had to pay any excess $$ to his heirs.

He passed in 2016 and his kids got a little extra money for his estate. It worked out great. You might consider something like this.

Good Luck.

FireAway

Post by FireAway » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:32 pm

C4NT wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:10 am
Any Masters or Ph.D.s in the house? You could teach part-time at your local community college or commuter 4-year.
Is this really possible?

I have a PhD, but went straight to industry after graduating. Looking around, I haven't seen any possibilities for getting back in as any kind of faculty. Everyone - even the community colleges - want someone with teaching experience.
If someone has actually done this - found a position in academia as an aged holder of an advanced degree - I'd love to hear some tips.

Darth Xanadu

Post by Darth Xanadu » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:44 pm

curmudgeon wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:32 am

Usher for arena/stadium sporting or other events
+1

Good idea, also small-ish theaters and music venues.
"A courageous teacher, failure is."

dbr

Post by dbr » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:50 pm

FireAway wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:32 pm
C4NT wrote:
Any Masters or Ph.D.s in the house? You could teach part-time at your local community college or commuter 4-year.
Is this really possible?

I have a PhD, but went straight to industry after graduating. Looking around, I haven't seen any possibilities for getting back in as any kind of faculty. Everyone - even the community colleges - want someone with teaching experience.
If someone has actually done this - found a position in academia as an aged holder of an advanced degree - I'd love to hear some tips.
I know various people of various ages and backgrounds who teach as "adjuncts" or whatever it is called. This is a far cry from a "position in academia" but it can be done, apparently. Usually this is not to be confused with a day job, but for this case could suit very well.

Note the people I know seem to teach mainly writing or music or maybe English as a second language, but I don't know if that means anything.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:55 pm

dm200 wrote:

Might be best to look at what you spend and reduce that. None of the suggestions here are more than a stopgap. You will get older, but you will do it with the same expenses.
If you take a job that brings in that amount, can you sustain that work going forward?
You stated you want/need this 1-1.5k month. Which is it? Want or need?

As someone has broken it down for you. $10 hour is 120 hours a month. That is 3- 40 hour weeks. If that's what you need or want then go for it.

I'd start with my spending.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:00 pm

Google the hospitals around you - see if they have clinical studies seeking (reasonably) healthy people in your demo.

Ron

Post by Ron » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:15 pm

Shallowpockets wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:55 pm
Might be best to look at what you spend and reduce that. None of the suggestions here are more than a stopgap. You will get older, but you will do it with the same expenses.
If you take a job that brings in that amount, can you sustain that work going forward?
You stated you want/need this 1-1.5k month. Which is it? Want or need?

As someone has broken it down for you. $10 hour is 120 hours a month. That is 3- 40 hour weeks. If that's what you need or want then go for it.

I'd start with my spending.
I would agree with SP's comments.

You've stated in your initial post that you are already in your 70's, drawing both SS along with pension(s). You've also stated that you don't consider RMD income (either you don't have RMD's, or you are re-investing in taxable accounts; which is it?)

If you can't meet your retirement expenses with your retirement income, you have little choice other than to cut back expenses. You're getting a bit long in the tooth (hey, I'm 70 myself, and my teeth are getting longer day by day :wink: ) to set out and establish a new working scheme at this time of your life.

FWIW,

- Ron

frugalmama

Post by frugalmama » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:34 pm

dbr wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:50 pm
FireAway wrote:
C4NT wrote:
Is this really possible?

I know various people of various ages and backgrounds who teach as "adjuncts" or whatever it is called. This is a far cry from a "position in academia" but it can be done, apparently. Usually this is not to be confused with a day job, but for this case could suit very well.

Note the people I know seem to teach mainly writing or music or maybe English as a second language, but I don't know if that means anything.
I did it. If there is a way to prove that you have some experience with teaching something, that helps - even as a tutor. Also, network with that community if possible and perhaps go talk to a class about a particular topic, etc. For example, if you are an English teacher, a Cowboy Poetry forum, etc. might be a place they hang out.

I do think that demand for your degree and where your degree is from matters, even as an adjunct, (not sure if that pertains to you). However, note that professors and adjuncts get paid very differently. I read an article a few months ago about adjuncts at particular CA universities being coffee baristas on the side just to make ends meet and there are days I think I am not getting paid enough for sure to do what I do, but it is working for me for now.

YMMV...as I don't know of anyone else who has been able to obtain a gig like mine and it was the first place I applied to. However, I would just keep applying to various schools and look at online schools, not just those that have primarily brick and mortar classrooms. HTH!

sport

Post by sport » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:47 pm

FireAway wrote:
C4NT wrote:
Is this really possible?

When you were working on your graduate degrees, did you have a teaching assistantship? That might count towards teaching experience.

white_water

Post by white_water » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:23 pm

Re: adjunct college instructor, it barely paid enough for gas. Driving airport shuttle paid much better.

peseta

Post by peseta » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:39 pm

white_water wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:23 pm
Re: adjunct college instructor, it barely paid enough for gas. Driving airport shuttle paid much better.
In DC area, where poster is, these positions sadly pay peanuts. People around here would gladly do it for free for the resume enhancement. The schools pay a nominal amount ($3-5k) to put a bit of a veneer on it. It's basically volunteer work when you consider the hours involved.

peseta

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:09 am

Thanks for the ideas.

- I believe some degree of expenses may go down slightly in upcoming years. [no certainty, however]

- I believe our current Medicare plans are likely to keep health care costs "reasonable"

- I believe a reverse mortgage makes sense for us (all things considered) - but I want to delay this because: 1.) home values here (I believe) will continue to appreciate and we could get more; 2.) the older we are the more you get from a reverse mortgage

- Our real estate tax forgiveness is very significant and, if that continues (seems likely), a significant benefit financially to stay here in our home

- without going into the details, I currently have a part time position that nets about $1,000 - $1,200 per month that, unfortunately, will end in a few months.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:22 am

dm200 wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:09 am

- without going into the details, I currently have a part time position that nets about $1,000 - $1,200 per month that, unfortunately, will end in a few months.
An obvious suggestion is connections/references to obtain a similar or related position somewhere else.

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:41 am

dbr wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:22 am
dm200 wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:09 am
An obvious suggestion is connections/references to obtain a similar or related position somewhere else.
Yes - however, this is a somewhat unique "niche" I was able to fill. I do plan to network for something similar, though.

Deontic

Post by Deontic » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:08 pm

Many work at home opportunities are available. Just need to be aware to avoid the scams and very low paying sites (like Amazon Turk). Positions typically require secure PC access; phone if voice contact required. Two reputable places to go to for listed jobs are anna@realwaystoearnmoneyonline.com and RatRaceRebellion. Most jobs provide a 1099-MISC for your services, some are very structured as far as working hours while others may allow work to be performed at any time of day but limit weekly work hours to 10-20. Hourly pay is in $10-$20 range. I spent six months recently working for one of the crowdsourcers (LionBridge) which provided an equal mix of interesting and tedious work, overall would recommend due to flexibility. Good luck.

Trapper

Post by Trapper » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:41 pm

My mom just hired a gal to be her “elder assistant”. In home help several hours a week cooking, laundry, changing sheets. She will take mom grocery shopping, to appointments, etc. Pays about $20 an hour and 60 cents a mile when she uses her car. She has more clients than she can handle.

wandern16

Post by wandern16 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:37 pm

One untapped need is to advertise to be available for short term or longer term housesitting - working people often need someone reliable to sit in their homes and be available when the cable guy, plumber, delivery guy, electrician needs to show up and do needed work. You could check in on a person's home who winters in FL (if you are in a colder state) once a day, or be available between 2-4 p when the dishwasher is due to be delivered or the cable guy is due to arrive and set up the cable. Working folks are always looking for someone reliable to help them out for things like this. All you need is good transportation and a calendar that you can use easily. You can charge $10, or $20 to be available, cash upfront. It's a handyman of a different sort. Your business would spread by word of mouth, and you can be as busy or as idle as you choose.

CULater

Post by CULater » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:00 pm

Trapper wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:41 pm
My mom just hired a gal to be her “elder assistant”. In home help several hours a week cooking, laundry, changing sheets. She will take mom grocery shopping, to appointments, etc. Pays about $20 an hour and 60 cents a mile when she uses her car. She has more clients than she can handle.
Had one for my elderly mother at one time. If the elder assistant works through a homecare firm, they only take home about half the hourly rate; and they have to provide their own transportation to clients and they often have to drive all over creation. I have a friend who is a homecare nurse and she must put hundreds of miles a week on her car running around the metro to visit clients. Lousy gig.
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Shikoku

Post by Shikoku » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:59 pm

FireAway wrote:
C4NT wrote:
Is this really possible?

FireAway,
You have incorrect information. Most of the PhDs get hired in the academia without any real teaching experience. If you have a PhD and industrial experience, most of the institutions would love to have you as an adjunct. I have seen countless of them. If you want to come to the academia full-time, you will be required to have a research record in many institutions but you will be rarely asked for a teaching record. In the academia, assumption is that PhDs will be able to teach in their specialty without any prior teaching experience.
"I don't worry too much about pointing fingers at the past. I operate on the theory that every saint has a past, every sinner has a future." -- Warren Buffett

gretah

Post by gretah » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:15 am

I second the recommendation for www.SideHustleSchool.com Chris Guillebeau's daily podcast is less than 10 minutes. He tells about a different idea someone developed into a side hustle.

That's over 300 ideas a year.

His books: The $100 Start Up and Side Hustle are good. I found them at the library.

www.SmartPassiveIncome.com has great ideas, too. Pat Flynn is very generous with sharing information.

www.SideHustleNation.com has weekly podcasts lasting around 30 minutes. He talks about what makes the ideas work and necessary tools.

www.NichePursuits.com is worth looking into.

I decided to write "how to" books and self publish. It's working for me so far.

Good luck!

WillRetire

Post by WillRetire » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:57 am

What about working for a real estate agent/broker? Granted, licensing is required in order to become a broker, but perhaps there are office or field jobs assisting a broker. Commissions are relatively high in a HCOL area like D.C., and so brokers may be willing to pay for an assistant to offload some work which would enable them to close more deals.

If you find you like the field, you could consider getting your license. A relative of mine did this in his early 70's, and is still going strong as a residential & commercial broker 10 years later. He really likes it.

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:16 am

WillRetire wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:57 am
What about working for a real estate agent/broker? Granted, licensing is required in order to become a broker, but perhaps there are office or field jobs assisting a broker. Commissions are relatively high in a HCOL area like D.C., and so brokers may be willing to pay for an assistant to offload some work which would enable them to close more deals.
If you find you like the field, you could consider getting your license. A relative of mine did this in his early 70's, and is still going strong as a residential & commercial broker 10 years later. He really likes it.
Not for me ... actual being an agent. Perhaps working for one to do things like answer phones, handle email, etc.

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:59 am

There also seems to be a need for providing transportation (without medical need) to medical appointments, dialysis, etc. I plan to investigate that as well. Could be a flexible schedule

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:55 pm

dm200 wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:59 am
There also seems to be a need for providing transportation (without medical need) to medical appointments, dialysis, etc. I plan to investigate that as well. Could be a flexible schedule
Consider if your existing liability coverage (auto & umbrella) will cover you, weather you use your own auto or another's vehicle. When I decided to do some consulting engineering, I chose to work thru a firm that provided professional liability coverage primarily to be able to avoid personal liability insurance issues.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:17 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:55 pm
dm200 wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:59 am
Consider if your existing liability coverage (auto & umbrella) will cover you, weather you use your own auto or another's vehicle. When I decided to do some consulting engineering, I chose to work thru a firm that provided professional liability coverage primarily to be able to avoid personal liability insurance issues.
We had a family member tempted into doing some of that kind of errand running but he got cold feet trying to understand how much liability was involved. Later on he did have a job doing a lot of driving but in an insured vehicle provided by the employer. A difference related to that is whether or not they are treating you as a contractor with your own insurance or as an employee.

Shikoku

Post by Shikoku » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:58 pm

dm200,
How about becoming a (mobile) notary signing agents to facilitate loan closings for the mortgage finance industry? If you do 10 mortgage signing in a month, it will bring at least $1,000.

How Do I Become A Notary Signing Agent?
https://www.nationalnotary.org/signing-agent/nsa

You have been a Bogleheads forum member since February 2007 and made 15,480 forum posts. There is no doubt in my mind that you are a very smart and wise person. Many people in their 70s running for office or becoming CEOs of large organizations. You can do it if you like.
"I don't worry too much about pointing fingers at the past. I operate on the theory that every saint has a past, every sinner has a future." -- Warren Buffett