College freshman shopping—what don’t we need?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Puppynewf

College freshman shopping—what don’t we need?

Post by Puppynewf » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:23 am

I have an incoming freshman at university and the shopping lists seem like overkill. What is indispensable and what is useless?

mak1277

Re: College freshman shopping—what don’t we need?

Post by mak1277 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:27 am

Hard to say what you don't need when you don't put forth a list.

Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:28 am

This product review site may be helpful -
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/colle ... -supplies/

mega317

Post by mega317 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:42 am

Yes please post your list. Looking at the one from my Alma mater, it's pretty reasonable. I have to think the schools have put some thought into it.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:49 am

Also what's the housing like? When I was in college, it was a cinder block cell with 2 of us in there. Enough room for a cube refrigerator, my stereo under the bed with my guitar, a couple desks and closets and barely enough room for 2 people to walk at the same time.

My son's situations have all been suites with from 5 to 6 guys total, separate bedrooms that are 1, 2 or 3. Full kitchen with frig, stove, microwave. The microwave seems to always get broken, so he brings a small one.

For the old fashion tiny dorm room, I'd say pack as if it's 2 weeks away for clothes. Laundry detergent, of course the calculator/computer/printer/paper/notebooks stuff. Not a ton else is really needed if there's a food plan included and food is actually available for all meals.

Cash is literally un-necessary. My son's laundry takes credit cards at the machines. All food as well. He's an AU on one of my 2% cards and I can monitor spending. It's sort of funny....when he got money from his grandfather for Easter, he sort of didn't know what to do with it as he never uses cash for anything.

Oh....one thing that could be useful is a checkbook or at least a few checks for emergency. If the CC stops working, pretty much all Bursars will cash a student check for around $100.
Last edited by Jack FFR1846 on Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

DarthSage

Post by DarthSage » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:52 am

Honestly, it really depends on the college, and the specific living situation. For example, my oldest didn't wind up living in a dorm--she was put in specialty housing (as the third in a triple--normally this housing was reserved for upperclassmen). She was in an old brownstone with 12-ft ceilings, a beautiful bow window, and a walk-in closet--definitely a far cry from the dorm I lived in! But then again, they couldn't have a "regular" mini-fridge--if they wanted one, they had to rent from a specific company, and get a combination fridge/microwave. So, please read your school's supply list carefully.

As to what really helps and what doesn't--very school/living space dependent. The most important thing, IMHO, is to coordinate with any roommates, so you don't wind up with duplicate items. Some students, especially girls, like to coordinate the look of their rooms.

Some things that helped our college student:

bed risers
bins (more on this in a second) to fit under the bed
extension cords/multiplugs
a small safe (for driver's license, passport, copy of medical insurance card, etc.)
laundry basket

As to the bins, DD was an education major. We gave her three (small) bins--one held a set of simple tools, one held school supplies for a teaching student--construction paper, tape, markers, etc., for school projects. The third was "Mom's Bin of Useful Items", and was kind of like a junk drawer. It held duct tape, bandaids, a sewing kit, a roll of quarters--stuff she might need in a pinch. She became known as the go-to kid when other students needed weird items.

bert09

Post by bert09 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:57 am

I don’t really remember my parents buying anything special that I didn’t already have, with the exception of maybe a collapsible easy-to-carry hamper for laundry and a shower caddy.

I think someone already suggested it but a small safe that you can attach to the bottom of the bed is a good idea; bed risers are also a good idea if you don’t have adequate storage space.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:05 am

It's only April. When does this freshman go to college? August?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:14 am

Based on recent experience, whatever the list indicates, he/she won't need/use half of it!

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:18 am

Puppynewf wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:23 am
I have an incoming freshman at university and the shopping lists seem like overkill. What is indispensable and what is useless?
Sheets, pillow, blanket, laptop, cell phone, 1/2 of his/her wardrobe, dorm fridge, small microwave, 32" flat screen TV (in my day it was a 19" tube TV), a rug is useful, futon, collapsible laundry basket, one of those window fans if the dorm doesn't have A/C (mine didn't).

oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:20 am

Glockenspiel wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:18 am
Puppynewf wrote:
Sheets, pillow, blanket, laptop, cell phone, 1/2 of his/her wardrobe, dorm fridge, 32" flat screen TV (in my day it was a 19" tube TV), a rug is useful, futon, collapsible laundry basket, one of those window fans if the dorm doesn't have A/C (mine didn't).
I don't even have a TV that size in my house. :shock:

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:21 am

collapsible laundry basket = old plastic garbage bag

But doesn't everyone just use a pillow case?

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:27 am

Not something the student needs, but a huge help on moving-in day is a well-stocked toolbox. DS's roommate's dad brought one and it made an ordeal much less so.

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:34 am

Post the list. As someone who recently moved overseas with her husband and three kids, and is living without our "stuff" for five weeks, I can weigh in on what is essential :)
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:47 am

Post the list and I will comment.
Some of the comments given are very school specific.
For instance - someone mentioned bed risers - most of the university dorms I'm familiar with have beds with built in risers - you can choose your bed height the day you move in.

aquamarine

Post by aquamarine » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:51 am

"little things" can help a student feel comfortable like

shower caddie and slippers
memo board for the door
rug/carpet
comforter from home
extra pillow
pictures and picture frames
hot pot
microwaveable giant soup cup or mug to help make soup or hot chocolate/tea in the microwave
meds for headache, stomach ache, etc
plants

ThriftyPhD

Post by ThriftyPhD » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:58 am

Regardless of the list, I would suggest buying only things you KNOW you'll need, and get the rest as they are needed. Amazon shipping will get it there in two days.

So much of this depends on the school (as DaftInvestor mentioned, bed risers are useless if the dorm bed comes with them) and roommates (what if the roommate has a TV already?).

Once your kid finds out who they are paired with, they can discuss who brings what. No need for two TVs, two microwaves, etc.

Once your kid knows what dorm they're in, look up the amenities and figure out what is needed. Communal showers for the hall would suggest a shower caddy, while a suite with attached private bath might make the caddy unnecessary.

The vast majority of stuff I brought with me that I thought I would need, I never ended up using and it just got in the way.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:11 am

livesoft wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:21 am
collapsible laundry basket = old plastic garbage bag
I'd splurge for a new one to start the semester.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:17 am

Unless he is going to Deep Springs College there will be a Walmart within walking distance and an Amazon withing mailing distance, so everything is available locally when it is needed. I arrived at college with a backpack and a suitcase and still managed to take stuff I never used.

The only things you need to buy ahead of time are on the summer reading list.

missingdonut

Post by missingdonut » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:22 am

ThriftyPhD wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:58 am
Regardless of the list, I would suggest buying only things you KNOW you'll need, and get the rest as they are needed. Amazon shipping will get it there in two days.

So much of this depends on the school (as DaftInvestor mentioned, bed risers are useless if the dorm bed comes with them) and roommates (what if the roommate has a TV already?).

Once your kid finds out who they are paired with, they can discuss who brings what. No need for two TVs, two microwaves, etc.

Once your kid knows what dorm they're in, look up the amenities and figure out what is needed. Communal showers for the hall would suggest a shower caddy, while a suite with attached private bath might make the caddy unnecessary.

The vast majority of stuff I brought with me that I thought I would need, I never ended up using and it just got in the way.
All of this is excellent advice and deserves to be read more than once :sharebeer

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:44 am

This could be fun. You could provide very little to give them a healthy appreciation of what Mom and Pop have been doing for their kid for the last 18 years, and then a month in do a surprise big shopping trip.

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:46 am

Epsilon Delta wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:17 am
Unless he is going to Deep Springs College there will be a Walmart within walking distance and an Amazon withing mailing distance, so everything is available locally when it is needed. I arrived at college with a backpack and a suitcase and still managed to take stuff I never used.

The only things you need to buy ahead of time are on the summer reading list.
And every Walmart in a 40 mile radius will be sold out of whatever he's trying to buy because everyone else had the same idea.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:47 am

Puppynewf wrote:
None of it is useless and little of it is indispensable.

OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:46 pm

Here are a few things both my kids have needed. Bedding for normally a twin size XL (you can buy the package which includes the comforter/bedspread, sheet/s, and pillowcase/s. They have both been required to buy one of those foam size mattress pads which go on top of the mattress and under the sheet. If you can't find a twin size XL, your child can cut a larger one down to size or fold in half when he/she gets to college.

Personal hygiene items to last until Fall or Christmas break--when you can then restock. Shampoo, conditioner, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodarant, comb, sunscreen, etc.

A laundry basket on wheels. I can't tell you what a lifesaver it is for the kids. Not only do they put their laundry in it, but it will haul other items in it as well. Plus the rolling basket leaves one hand free to carry books or other items, versus having a basket you have to carry with two hands.

Towels. You don't need a lot, but they are definitely needed.

I never sent cleaning supplies with either child. One child has a room check quite regularly, but the college supplies the cleaning products. The other child I simply don't know how he cleans. I'm assuming he just goes to Walmart and buys a cleaning item when he needs it.

Make sure you send your child with an insurance card, prescription card, FSA/HSA account card--that type of stuff. You never know when they will get sick.

If you will not see your child until Christmas break and live in a colder climate, make sure they have good Fall jacket/winter coat, gloves, scarfs, etc. for those Saturday afternoon football games.

p14175

Post by p14175 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:00 pm

I never lived in a dorm when I was in college, but I had a lot of classmates that did. Several of them were veterans, so a bit older and wiser. One problem with dorms is that the rooms people will be coming in and out of the room so not much is private or safe (think jewelry, money, credit cards, etc.) so if the dorm room doesn't come with a lockbox for personal items, ask if you can provide one for your incoming freshman. Make sure it comes with a cable and lock.

beyou

Post by beyou » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:41 pm

One suggestion, Bed Bath and Beyond chain will let you shop locally and have items you need ready for you at a store near the college campus.
Great if they have locations near home and school. Less to carry with you in the car, and no need to really shop when you get there, just pick up.
You'll have lots to do just helping unpack and the kid will have plenty to do, no need to shop in the short time you have when you arrive.

As far as what to get, beds usually are terrible, so people often get mattress toppers, blankets, towels, shower caddies to carry items to common showers and laundry basket/hamper (or plastic bag as livesoft suggested). You can get toiletries at any store there or at home since they don't take up much space. Finally a free/discounted Amazon Prime membership. Free 6 months then 1/2 price for the 4 years of college. That would cover the rest.

As far as cooking, check the school rules, some items may or may not be permitted. A certain size/wattage of fridge or microwave may be allowed. One of my kids divided up some of these items ahead of time. One got the fridge, another a microwave, and another a flat panel to hookup their stream or game box for entertainment. You can leave these to the kids, they can order/rent when there. You don't have to cook or watch TV your first week there. People should get out of their rooms until it gets cold and the homework gets serious.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:47 pm

There will be plenty of sales in August for going away to college students. And the stores in the college town will have sales in the week that the parents drop off the students. I don't see any reason to make any plans right now, so this whole thread is weird to me.

Full disclosure: I have two kids who are essentially done with college.

PS: But you can put condoms, solo cups, and ping-pong balls on your list, too.

celia

Post by celia » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:56 pm

As far as dorm items, he/she should wait until a roommate is assigned, then coordinate with them. The more expensive items can be HS graduation gifts. So no need to do anything now.

As far as academic items, the student can't do much until he/she is registered for classes and gets the textbooks (paper or digital) that are needed for each class. So no need to do anything now. Freshman usually register last so may not have a full selection of open classes to choose from.

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:24 pm

While you might want to see what you have around the house that they can use I would buy very little until it is actually needed.

If you need to buy something you can just buy it online and have it delivered to the dorm room instead of packing it into the car and hauling it there.

One thing to check on is that dorm beds are often some weird size that requires special sheets.

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:37 pm

Back when I was in school, we all lofted our beds to put our desks under them, making room for a couch. But the under side of beds usually have metal or other hard stuff you'll bump your head on. The solution: pipe insulation! Buy it locally if needed.

Otherwise I'd leave most of the details to the kid, either in advance or when there. You'll want enough basics to get them started, but let them flesh out the rest of the stuff themselves.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:55 am

In my experience, the list from the colleges are pretty good, but you should coordinate with the roommate if possible. Some dorms don't allow for microwaves in the room, but will have them for the students to use in a common area. Some require that you rent micro/fridge combinations from them because of electrical issues in the buildings.

I would not bring a TV. There generally TVs in common areas, the kids don't have much time to watch TV and they can stream on their laptops if needed.

Not deep springs, but there isn't a Walmart in walking distance for either of my kids.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:09 am

Wow .. Things sure change ..

I went off to college 55 years ago.

Dorm room with 2 beds (had roommate), 2 desks, 2 closets, 2 desk chairs, 1 or 2 other chairs. All I took were a blanket (linens supplied), basic clothes, suitcases (2 as I recall), and a few personal items (including a click radio). No TV, no stereo, no cooking/food items (NOT allowed in dorm).

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:27 am

Clothes, towels, sheets, toiletries.

Laptop (homework), Tablet (watch TV), Headphones (don't bother roommate), Bluetooth speaker (music), Smartphone.

All those tech gadgets can fit in a small backpack. Much lighter load that when I did it.

I had a bicycle parked out in the rack and out in the elements when I lived on campus. It took a beating but was a beater. My folding Brompton would have sure been nice in the dorm. Fold it up, put it in the closet. But, they are not cheap.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:49 pm

dm200 wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:09 am

Dorm room with 2 beds (had roommate), 2 desks, 2 closets, 2 desk chairs, 1 or 2 other chairs. All I took were a blanket (linens supplied), basic clothes, suitcases (2 as I recall), and a few personal items (including a click radio). No TV, no stereo, no cooking/food items (NOT allowed in dorm).
TVs have come and gone - now kids just stream Netflix on their laptops :)

Also - they can no longer survive in dorm rooms without refrigerators, microwave ovens, Keurig coffee makers, and Brita water filters.
Oh - and although Pets are NOT allowed - there were a few kids in one of my kids dorms last year who got around this rule by registering their pets as service animals and showing medical need (apparently anxiety necessitates the need to have a bunny or guinea pig in your room to cuddle with these days).

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:28 pm

It's long ago, but I didn't buy anything on their list in advance. I brought a few things I already had, like pen and paper. A couple of weeks after I arrived I hiked to the nearest shopping mall and bought a pillowcase and sheets, cheap. They turned out to be the only things from the list I truly needed and didn't bring. Before then I used a t-shirt and my towel as substitutes.

Money, especially in a bank account, is easier and cheaper to carry than the stuff it might buy.

As already disclosed I self funded, so I was cost conscious.

PJW
Last edited by Phineas J. Whoopee on Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Liberty1100

Post by Liberty1100 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:38 pm

I highly recommend bed risers and a couple powerstrips. The risers add just enough space to fit so much more under the bed.

Another easily forgotten thing are meds. Dayquil or cold/flu meds and a good amount of headache/nausea meds. It may be often that your child gets a hangover or gets under the weather.

Things I don't recommend: Printer. You don't need to print these days in college. When you do, go to the Library or computer lab to print. It will be cheaper and provide you with much less frustration.

Traveler

Post by Traveler » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:08 pm

When I was in college ~25 years ago, we used cinder blocks for bed risers. Some people even double stacked them. Check and see if the dorm beds are XL twins. I had regular twin sheets and they never quite fit right. Otherwise, I would bring the can't live without items and see what else I needed when I move in and have been there for a bit.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:50 am

My how things change --

Back then - ZERO prohibitions on any and all kinds of alcohol. All you could drink draft beer at college sponsored "beer blasts" for 50 cents.

NO girls in men's dorms.

Alcohol was good - sex was bad.

Today, it seems the other way around.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:37 pm

All the clamoring for bed risers may be totally unnecessary. When we moved DS into his dorm room a few years ago, the beds' heights were adjustable to allow a ton of storage beneath them--probably to 4' or more IIRC.

The most ridiculous items I saw on move-in day were headboards and footboards, but there were other contenders. DS & his roommate had bought a futon for their dorm room. However, it was not allowed on the elevator for reasons I do not recall. They lugged it up 11 flights of stairs.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:39 pm

dm200 wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:50 am
My how things change --
Back then - ZERO prohibitions on any and all kinds of alcohol. All you could drink draft beer at college sponsored "beer blasts" for 50 cents.
NO girls in men's dorms.
Alcohol was good - sex was bad.
Today, it seems the other way around.
My first roommate was a heavy smoker - lots of students (not me) smoked almost everywhere back then. BIG improvement today :)

Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:01 pm

The flip side to the equation- What goes to school must come back, or stored for the summer.
I could not believe the stuff left behind in May at each of my daughters living arrangements- dorm, sorority and off campus apartments.
Perfectly good TV's, laser printers, mini fridges, mattresses. You couldn't find a non overflowing dumpster. I'm not saying you want your kid to be a dumpster diver- just that all that stuff has to be moved again in 8 months or so...If your arrive with a full Yukon, you will need 2 full Yukons to move back.
I agree with "must have for September" only move in day, wait a week or 2 for things to come together and then a trip to see the kids toward the end of September to buy everything else. In October, start bringing up fall cloths, take back summer cloths... constant rotation if you can manage the distances.
No helpful hints for fly aways.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:17 pm

dm200 wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:09 am

+1, but only 25 years ago. I don't remember getting any list and I certainly don't remember it being my mom's job to take care of it all for me.

Stereo was considered essential, but that was just me.

DarthSage

Post by DarthSage » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:05 am

Capsu78 wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:01 pm
The flip side to the equation- What goes to school must come back, or stored for the summer.
I could not believe the stuff left behind in May at each of my daughters living arrangements- dorm, sorority and off campus apartments.
Perfectly good TV's, laser printers, mini fridges, mattresses. You couldn't find a non overflowing dumpster. I'm not saying you want your kid to be a dumpster diver- just that all that stuff has to be moved again in 8 months or so...If your arrive with a full Yukon, you will need 2 full Yukons to move back.
I agree with "must have for September" only move in day, wait a week or 2 for things to come together and then a trip to see the kids toward the end of September to buy everything else. In October, start bringing up fall cloths, take back summer cloths... constant rotation if you can manage the distances.
No helpful hints for fly aways.
In Boston, they call the third week of May "Allston Christmas". (Allston is a suburb with many college apartments). So much stuff gets put out on the curb, free for the taking! My DD is a graduate, still living in the Boston area--she furnished her current apartment for $0, all from cast-offs. It makes my cheap heart so proud!

I agree on the rotating of clothes, if possible.

My DD definitely needed risers, but others are right--this is very college-specific. XL twin bedding is fairly standard, though. Bed, Bath & Beyond is a great source, especially with their shop local-pick up in college are plan. We found a lot of cute stuff at Target.

Another thought--if you're not driving distance away, you'll have to pay for storage over the summer. In Boston, this runs $65/month. It's good to keep that in your head when you're shopping--less is better!

Veiled

Post by Veiled » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:23 am

Bedding, cheap hamper and detergent
Bathroom caddy with essential supplies, shower shoes
Office supplies for a simple desk (think your new office intern who might leave in a year)
Hangers and a capsule wardrobe able to be expanded by 20 T-shirts from various events and organizations
Whatever basic furniture isn't already included. Mattress and bed risers if you don't get a modular bed. Ikea desk and plastic Container Store dresser if you don't get a modular version of those.

I guess I'm a minimalist. A lot of lists have very swanky things for mini-kitchenettes as well as lots of IT stuff (TVs, fancy speakers). There's plenty of screens and spaces for undergrads to enjoy in public places. Teach your son or daughter to start small and encourage him/her to delay gratification and either earn extras or wait for them to come as holiday gifts.
Pardon me as I read these one hundred and fifty-seven SP vs LLC vs Scorp threads...

veindoc

Post by veindoc » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:30 am

Aside from clothing, toiletries and bedding, everything else can wait. Unless your child is going to school in Antártica, I am sure there is a target, Walmart, bed bath and beyond nearby to buy an additional items. Seems silly to cart a bunch of items for thousands of miles that are available in the near vicinity of where you are going.

stan_the_man

Post by stan_the_man » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:23 pm

Laundry Supplies — Hamper, detergent, dryer sheets, etc. If your kid doesn’t know how to do laundry, don’t wait to teach them until you drop them off. I’ve seen parent do that.

Small Supply of Cleaning Supplies — A few rolls of paper towel and a multi surface cleaner.

Bedding

Towels — 2-3 should work

Clothes to Get Through Thanksgiving — Things that may or may not be required are jackets and bathing suits. Shower shoes (usually sandals) is a good recommendation for bathrooms shared with more than 2-3 people.

Disposable Plates and Utensils

A Few Real Cups and Utensils

A Small Smount of Office Supplies

A Decoration or Two

Don’t buy any furniture, appliances or electronics until you know the school’s policies and/or you talked to the roommate. For example, some schools have a very restricted list of laptops that they support.