VW Atlas

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
psteveo

VW Atlas

Post by psteveo » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:55 pm

We are looking to get a 3 row SUV to replace a CRV. Does anyone have the VW Atlas and can let me know their thoughts? The reviews online look solid and it has the best warranty. At this point we are also considering the Highlander, Pilot, and Explorer. Another option to is wait for the Subaru Ascent which is supposed to come out this summer.

mw1739

Re: VW Atlas

Post by mw1739 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:46 pm

We’ve looked at all these over the last month for my wife. She still wants to see the Subaru Ascent this summer, but at this point it’s between the Pilot and a Chevy Traverse. I like the reliability of the Pilot but she likes the cargo space in the Traverse, which is the biggest in this class. The wife wasn’t crazy about the perceived unreliability of the VW but the styling seemed really nice.

Murr

Post by Murr » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:52 pm

my wife was in love with the ascent until we checked it out in person at the philly car show. the 3rd row was incredibly small and overall didn't feel much different then the outback. had a pilot for years and loved it. really like the older boxy style compared to the new model though.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:56 pm

I like Audis but the VWs (generally U.S.- or Mexican-made if you’re buying them in the U.S. market) have been pretty bad in reliability. I’d steer clear of the Atlas until/unless Consumer Reports gives a thumbs-up on reliability. There are an awful lot of dull vehicles in this segment; for me the standout is the Mazda CX-9, almost in a class of its own in terms of style and driving dynamics.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:04 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (car).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:18 pm

Edmunds gives the VW Atlas a 3.8 out of 5 stars. You can find the review with a quick search.

VW, first version, probably wouldn't be in my top 5.

What is your budget? The new Lexus RXL 350 (3 rows of seats) looks pretty awesome. But the price is awesome too. 2-3 year old Lexus GX 460 would probably be over budget as well.

Did you drive a Toyota Highlander? I'm partial to Toyota/Lexus, but the Explorer is a nice vehicle. More of a truck like ride. The Atlas kind of looks like an Explorer.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:46 pm

But can you trust anything that comes out of VW? They have been advertising how clean and advance their diesel engines were and look how that turned out.

JeffAL

Post by JeffAL » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:59 pm

Just bought a 2018 Toyota Highlander. The Highlander is more refined than the Pilot. Test drove the Traverse. It was very nice. Better than the Pilot. Considered the Atlas but eventually ruled it out and never drove it. In the past I’ve owned VWs so I’m not anti-VW.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:01 pm

Murr wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:52 pm
my wife was in love with the ascent until we checked it out in person at the philly car show. the 3rd row was incredibly small and overall didn't feel much different then the outback.
Pretty much all the three-row SUVs have tiny third rows. If you need to actually put anyone back there except small children, get a minivan.

TBillT

Post by TBillT » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:14 pm

My daughter has the Atlas for her family, replacement for Odessey.
They have had some recall issues with gaso tank leak, which they had repaired took about 2 weeks they had a loaner.
Otherwise they seem to like it.
I would go minivan route, but SUV's are the hot sell these days.

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:52 am

IMO, just not worth the risk when compared to a Honda Pilot.

For a similar price you are getting known resale value, known reliability, and not many advantages over the Pilot. Really the only thing that stands out to me is the digital cockpit and that's not a game changer. The longer warranty does nothing for me, it's just something VW has to do because of their reliability issues in the past.

This is coming from a person whose wife just recently bought a 2018 VW Tiguan SEL. We're taking the above risks because "she likes it".

queso

Post by queso » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:34 am

Murr wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:52 pm
my wife was in love with the ascent until we checked it out in person at the philly car show. the 3rd row was incredibly small and overall didn't feel much different then the outback. had a pilot for years and loved it. really like the older boxy style compared to the new model though.
Noooooooooooo! Say it isn't so! I've been holding my 13 year old Pilot anxiously awaiting the Ascent as a possible replacement. :( I'll still check it out, but if it is a lot smaller than the Pilot I'll be back in research mode. I've already looked at most of the ones mentioned in this thread and my take on them is:

Atlas - like it, but it is a VW. Owned 2 Audis in the past. Never again.
New Pilot - like it even less than the previous box on wheels version. Styling keeps getting worse with every revision. Looks like an Odyssey now.
Highlander - wish it were bigger.
XC90 - gorgeous, don't trust it. Probably just a Swedish Atlas. :D
Traverse - American? Seriously? No way. I'd trust the Volvo more than an American car.
CX9 - like it, but towing capacity is only 3500 lbs. Pilot and Highlander are 5k and that's my minimum.
Lexus - kind of kicking myself for not getting the 470 when it was out. I can't stand the redesign on the new Lexus line. What were they thinking with that grill?!?!

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:40 am

We have a 2014 Acadia Denali.

I would not buy the Traverse. I’m shocked with the maintenance issues on the Acadia. Side detection went out. After 3 trips they finally replaced under warranty for $2,500. We had the AC system in 3 times and they never fixed. Independent shop says rear condenser needs replaced. $2K. Headlight bulbs burned out. I kid you not, the dealer wanted $3K to replace. Independent shop was $800. Rear shocks leaking. Another $1500.

This was all in ththe first 60K miles on a $50K vehicle.

psteveo

Post by psteveo » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:44 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:18 pm
Edmunds gives the VW Atlas a 3.8 out of 5 stars. You can find the review with a quick search.

VW, first version, probably wouldn't be in my top 5.

What is your budget? The new Lexus RXL 350 (3 rows of seats) looks pretty awesome. But the price is awesome too. 2-3 year old Lexus GX 460 would probably be over budget as well.

Did you drive a Toyota Highlander? I'm partial to Toyota/Lexus, but the Explorer is a nice vehicle. More of a truck like ride. The Atlas kind of looks like an Explorer.
Our budget is under 40k. I am aware of the reliability issues with the VW but was impressed by the 6 year warranty for the Atlas. Although we don't want to be going to the dealer to get things fixed all the time either. So far we have only test drove the Highlander. It was nice but still want to consider other options. As for the Pilot, we are strongly considering captain's seats for the second row and I heard about transmission issues with the Elite trim which has the captain's seats. Also not a huge fan of the exterior look.

atomicrc11

Post by atomicrc11 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:03 pm

The new Tiguan has been a good purchase and it is quite luxurious. Looked at the Atlas but didn't need the third row all the time. I also don't generally buy first generation vehicles but with a 6 year/72000 mile warranty I was comfortable taking the risk.

PowDay

Post by PowDay » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:28 pm

I purchased an Atlas SEL 4Motion back in Aug, and just hit 5k miles, so far I've been very happy, things that went into the decision

- Extremely car seat friendly, I have two rear facing car seats, and the Atlas fit them better than any of the other SUVs
- The third row was by far the biggest
- Overall cargo space was the largest
- The seat movement was easy, middle row slides 9 in, and both sides of the bench can be folded with a car seat installed
- Adaptive Cruise control had full start stop capabilities
- Pano Sunroof
- Boring reliable engine and transmission, these are older proven units
- Excellent bumper to bumper warranty, I can easily stay under the mileage limit, 6 years is double the competition
- Android Auto & Carplay, really nice display panel
- LED Headlights across all trims

Below are the other SUVs I looked at, and what didn't work for me
- Pilot (With a Bench seat you cant get a Pano Sunroof, or LED headlights, No stop go ACC, 9speed transmission unreliable)
- Traverse (Couldn't get Adaptive Cruise and a bench seat)
- Highlander ( Extremely small third row, no android auto)
- Durango ( Middle seat is fixed, not as rear facing car seat friendly, platform was already 7 years old)
- Explorer ( Small cargo area, middle bench couldn't tilt with a car seat, platform was already 7 years old)
- Pathfinder/QX60 ( CVT, poor resale, no android auto)
- Sorento/Santafe (No LATCH in the third row)
- CX9 Really Small, I couldn't drive with a rear facing car seat installed behind me

The Atlas is a new low volume player in the space, but it's the only SUV that checked all the boxes for me

psteveo

Post by psteveo » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:39 pm

PowDay wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:28 pm
I purchased an Atlas SEL 4Motion back in Aug, and just hit 5k miles, so far I've been very happy, things that went into the decision

- Extremely car seat friendly, I have two rear facing car seats, and the Atlas fit them better than any of the other SUVs
- The third row was by far the biggest
- Overall cargo space was the largest
- The seat movement was easy, middle row slides 9 in, and both sides of the bench can be folded with a car seat installed
- Adaptive Cruise control had full start stop capabilities
- Pano Sunroof
- Boring reliable engine and transmission, these are older proven units
- Excellent bumper to bumper warranty, I can easily stay under the mileage limit, 6 years is double the competition
- Android Auto & Carplay, really nice display panel
- LED Headlights across all trims

Below are the other SUVs I looked at, and what didn't work for me
- Pilot (With a Bench seat you cant get a Pano Sunroof, or LED headlights, No stop go ACC, 9speed transmission unreliable)
- Traverse (Couldn't get Adaptive Cruise and a bench seat)
- Highlander ( Extremely small third row, no android auto)
- Durango ( Middle seat is fixed, not as rear facing car seat friendly, platform was already 7 years old)
- Explorer ( Small cargo area, middle bench couldn't tilt with a car seat, platform was already 7 years old)
- Pathfinder/QX60 ( CVT, poor resale, no android auto)
- Sorento/Santafe (No LATCH in the third row)
- CX9 Really Small, I couldn't drive with a rear facing car seat installed behind me

The Atlas is a new low volume player in the space, but it's the only SUV that checked all the boxes for me
This is a helpful summary. No issues so far?

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:00 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
The third row in the RXL is a joke, akin to the backseat in a 911. If you want to use it, none of the passengers in ANY row can be over 5 feet tall. Really you're paying an extra $4500 for an additional 4" of cargo space, and the ability to say you have a 3-row SUV.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:11 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:00 pm
bloom2708 wrote:
The third row in the RXL is a joke, akin to the backseat in a 911. If you want to use it, none of the passengers in ANY row can be over 5 feet tall. Really you're paying an extra $4500 for an additional 4" of cargo space, and the ability to say you have a 3-row SUV.
I believe that. Even the GX 460 3rd row is kind a joke. Kids or short trips. People or stuff. No both.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

Y.A.Tittle

Post by Y.A.Tittle » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:11 pm

Bacchus01 wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:40 am
We have a 2014 Acadia Denali.

I would not buy the Traverse. I’m shocked with the maintenance issues on the Acadia. Side detection went out. After 3 trips they finally replaced under warranty for $2,500. We had the AC system in 3 times and they never fixed. Independent shop says rear condenser needs replaced. $2K. Headlight bulbs burned out. I kid you not, the dealer wanted $3K to replace. Independent shop was $800. Rear shocks leaking. Another $1500.

This was all in ththe first 60K miles on a $50K vehicle.
I guess Mary Barra isn’t doing such a great job.

queso

Post by queso » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:33 am

I dismissed the Atlas early without looking at it in depth due to the whole VW/Audi thing, but when you look at it on paper it really packs in a lot of features for the money. I'll go check one out in person. Thanks to all the posters for sharing their experiences with it.

PowDay

Post by PowDay » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:19 am

psteveo wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:39 pm
This is a helpful summary. No issues so far?
I brought it in last week for some non-urgent recall work, buying a first year model, early in that first year, I new that it would have to go back at some point. It was super easy, quick key trade for a loaner, and back the next day to pick it up.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:24 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:11 pm
I believe that. Even the GX 460 3rd row is kind a joke. Kids or short trips. People or stuff. No both.
The difference though, is that while third-row occupants are going to be miserable in either vehicle, with the RXL putting people in the third row makes everyone in the first and second rows miserable too.

Back onto the Atlas, it is one of the few 3-row SUVs where my 6'4" frame fits without contortions or hobbling, in all 3 rows.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:45 am

seawolf21 wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:46 pm
But can you trust anything that comes out of VW? They have been advertising how clean and advance their diesel engines were and look how that turned out.
That is, now, a distraction. They might be the most egregious case, but all the diesel manufacturers appear to have had at least some gaming with the tests.

The broader problem is cost of ownership is high: you get relatively high depreciation, historically poor reliability, expensive spares. (in Europe the first and the third are true, and reliability is worse than the Japanese).

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:04 am

seawolf21 wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:46 pm
That is, now, a distraction. They might be the most egregious case, but all the diesel manufacturers appear to have had at least some gaming with the tests.

The broader problem is cost of ownership is high: you get relatively high depreciation, historically poor reliability, expensive spares. (in Europe the first and the third are true, and reliability is worse than the Japanese).

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:21 am

I’ve read great things about the Atlas, but I couldn’t buy a VW because I drive them well past the warranty.

If you don’t, then reliability is not as much of a concern.

JT

PowDay

Post by PowDay » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:22 am

As a VW Atlas owner, I will be curious as to how the new warranty impacts resale value. Consider the following scenario

5 Years from now when the two cars are for sale used at Carmax, assume similar condition and mileage

- Honda Pilot - 5 Years Old - 60k Miles - No Warranty

- VW Atlas - 5 Years Old - 60k Miles - 12k miles & 1 Year of Bumper to Bumper Warranty from the factory

I doubt the VW will have better resale than the pilot, but I believe a factory original warranty will help close the gap, yes there are extended warranties and aftermarket warranties available, but they tend to have complicated claims processes, deductibles, and don't always over the small things.

This is also VW's first entry into the mainstream 3 row crossover segment, a segment that seems to be getting more and more popular. Comparing Atlas depreciation to VW Passat's isn't the same thing. The Camry depreciates like a rock compared to a Highlander

- $35,776 Highlander - 5 Year Depreciation $16,372 46% https://www.edmunds.com/toyota/highland ... st-to-own/

- $25,067 Camry - 5 Year Depreciation $13,849 55% https://www.edmunds.com/toyota/camry/20 ... st-to-own/
- $22,346 Passat - 5 Year Depreciation $13,121 59% https://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/pass ... st-to-own/

Only time will tell, and I plan to keep mine for 10 years, but I think the 6/72 warranty will win over buyers as VW attempts a comeback.

wilked

Post by wilked » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:27 am

Considered it but like the MDX much better

onourway

Post by onourway » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:32 am

PowDay wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:22 am
As a VW Atlas owner, I will be curious as to how the new warranty impacts resale value. Consider the following scenario

5 Years from now when the two cars are for sale used at Carmax, assume similar condition and mileage

- VW Atlas - 5 Years Old - 60k Miles - 12k miles & 1 Year of Bumper to Bumper Warranty from the factory

I doubt the VW will have better resale than the pilot, but I believe a factory original warranty will help close the gap, yes there are extended warranties and aftermarket warranties available, but they tend to have complicated claims processes, deductibles, and don't always over the small things.

This is also VW's first entry into the mainstream 3 row crossover segment, a segment that seems to be getting more and more popular. Comparing Atlas depreciation to VW Passat's isn't the same thing. The Camry depreciates like a rock compared to a Highlander

- $35,776 Highlander - 5 Year Depreciation $16,372 46% https://www.edmunds.com/toyota/highland ... st-to-own/

- $25,067 Camry - 5 Year Depreciation $13,849 55% https://www.edmunds.com/toyota/camry/20 ... st-to-own/
- $22,346 Passat - 5 Year Depreciation $13,121 59% https://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/pass ... st-to-own/

Only time will tell, and I plan to keep mine for 10 years, but I think the 6/72 warranty will win over buyers as VW attempts a comeback.
I don't think it will matter all that much because people who care about warranties will be looking at a CPO Pilot anyhow.

psteveo

Post by psteveo » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:34 am

wilked wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:27 am
What do you like about the MDX better? The MDX seems a lot smaller.

queso

Post by queso » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:43 am

psteveo wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:34 am
wilked wrote:
+1. I never considered the MDX because it is even smaller than the Pilot and "Pilot size" is my benchmark. I showed the Atlas to my wife last night and she really liked it, but echoed my earlier sentiments: "get it if you want, but if it were me I'd only buy a Honda". :happy

We'll go look at one this weekend. I still want to look at the Ascent as well, but from what I hear it isn't as roomy as the Atlas.

PowDay

Post by PowDay » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:47 am

onourway wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:32 am
PowDay wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:22 am

I don't think it will matter all that much because people who care about warranties will be looking at a CPO Pilot anyhow.
CPO is just a fancy extended warranty the dealer purchases from the manufacturer. The apples to apples comparison would be a VW CPO vs Honda CPO.

wilked

Post by wilked » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:51 am

psteveo wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:34 am
wilked wrote:
My wife had an Integra when she was in her 20s and it remains her favorite car ever and she has a major Acura bias. That is the primary reason

But as to Pilot vs MDX, MDX is a bit smaller but that is a plus for me since I hate SUVs. Drives much better, handling superior, and feels more like a car than the Pilot which can be 'floaty'. Bit more refined (though Pilot has closed that gap). Both have more space than we need (3rd row will be for occasional car pool / extra friends, and we use the roof rack for big expeditions

onourway

Post by onourway » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:57 am

PowDay wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:47 am
CPO is just a fancy extended warranty the dealer purchases from the manufacturer. The apples to apples comparison would be a VW CPO vs Honda CPO.
All the average consumer cares is that they have a warranty. VW has a 30+ year history of problematic vehicles in the US. An additional year of factory warranty isn't going to do much to move that needle until they have a decade or so of producing consistently reliable vehicles.

If you go VW CPO to Honda CPO - people who care about reliability are still going to choose the Honda.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:15 am

lazydavid wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:24 am
bloom2708 wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:11 pm
The difference though, is that while third-row occupants are going to be miserable in either vehicle, with the RXL putting people in the third row makes everyone in the first and second rows miserable too.

Back onto the Atlas, it is one of the few 3-row SUVs where my 6'4" frame fits without contortions or hobbling, in all 3 rows.
That’s one of the biggest reasons we bought our 2014 Acadia. The third row was one of the roomiest we could find. Much better than even the Tahoe of the same vintage.

Alas, they redesigned them and the third row got much smaller and our quality experience has not been, well, very quality.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:57 am

Bacchus01 wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:15 am
That’s one of the biggest reasons we bought our 2014 Acadia. The third row was one of the roomiest we could find. Much better than even the Tahoe of the same vintage.

Alas, they redesigned them and the third row got much smaller and our quality experience has not been, well, very quality.
Likely wouldn't help with the quality bit, but the the other two members of the former triplets--Chevy Traverse and Buick Enclave--both got slightly bigger when they were redesigned this year, vs. the revised Acadia shrinking significantly last year. The Traverse is particularly handsome for the segment.

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:05 pm

I'm pasting this in all VW threads as a warning:

2010 Volkswagen. Bought new and after 3-5 years two issues occurred:
- door check strap broke (tore sheet metal) - it is the thing that prevents your door from opening into your quarter panel.
- Ignition Key sticks real bad - makes you fearful that you might get stranded and not be able to start the car.

Both issues known and complained about via google - but not known by VW.

Volkswagon Customer Care told me to pound sand - even after I mentioned I bought 4 brand new VWs over my lifetime (85 GTI, 91 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2010 Convertible.)

They don't care. Dealer wants 700 just to fix the ignition and body shop says I need a new door.

I've never had these issues with my Toyota and not with my Mercedes.

Never again VW.

ncbill

Post by ncbill » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:19 pm

rebellovw wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:05 pm

- door check strap broke (tore sheet metal) - it is the thing that prevents your door from opening into your quarter panel.
- Ignition Key sticks real bad - makes you fearful that you might get stranded and not be able to start the car.

Volkswagon Customer Care told me to pound sand - even after I mentioned I bought 4 brand new VWs over my lifetime (85 GTI, 91 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2010 Convertible.)

They don't care. Dealer wants 700 just to fix the ignition and body shop says I need a new door.
Have you checked online forums/videos to see if there's an easier procedure?

I had to replace the worn-out ignition cylinder on a 20 year old Subaru Legacy last year.

Officially, that requires tearing apart the steering column.

But per Youtube, one can use the old key turned to "accessory" and then use a L-shaped piece of metal to pop out the entire cylinder.

Then just pop in the OEM replacement, which comes with 2 brand-new keys.

~$40 off eBay.

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:40 pm

ncbill wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:19 pm
rebellovw wrote:

Have you checked online forums/videos to see if there's an easier procedure?

I had to replace the worn-out ignition cylinder on a 20 year old Subaru Legacy last year.

Officially, that requires tearing apart the steering column.

But per Youtube, one can use the old key turned to "accessory" and then use a L-shaped piece of metal to pop out the entire cylinder.

Then just pop in the OEM replacement, which comes with 2 brand-new keys.

~$40 off eBay.
That is the route I'm going to take. For the door - I have to custom fabricate a four piece sandwich bracket out of aluminum or SS - trivial for a machinist - not so much for a regular guy w/o a work bench.

I'll also likely do the ignition lock mech myself - though it does have to be keyed - which adds a new dimension of pain.

Bottom line though - I've never had a car where:

The ignition key wouldn't work - that is basic functionality.
The door stop didn't work - Our drive way slops down very steep - If I forget to hold the door as I open it - and let it fly open - it will fold onto the quarter panel and damage the door.

These two issues do not exist in cars sitting in junkyards.

Also - the ignition problem is one of those documented- that come back even after everything has been replaced. It includes two faulty parts - one person posted that VW replace each part separately - and that didn't fix the issue - then they replaced both together - and the issue came back months later.

No more VWs for me - much better options out there.

tacticalretreat

Post by tacticalretreat » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:51 pm

rebellovw wrote:

Never again VW.
Lol well if we're posting anecdotal evidence, we have a 2004 VW Golf with almost 150k miles. Bought it new and I've done all the maintenance myself and had no issues. Love the car and would buy another VW in a heartbeat. MIL had an Audi A5, she put almost 200k on with no issues.

I don't get all the VW hate.

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:58 pm

tacticalretreat wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:51 pm
rebellovw wrote:

Never again VW.
Lol well if we're posting anecdotal evidence, we have a 2004 VW Golf with almost 150k miles. Bought it new and I've done all the maintenance myself and had no issues. Love the car and would buy another VW in a heartbeat. MIL had an Audi A5, she put almost 200k on with no issues.

I don't get all the VW hate.

Yeah right Anecdotal evidence -

2010 VW Beetle - Sticking ignition cylinder - NewBeetle.org Forums
newbeetle.org › ... › Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle
Nov 30, 2015 - 21 posts - ‎2 authors
so, dropped off the beetle last night to the dealership after hours. when I left, i tried to use the cylinder lock and it was stuck. this morning, the tech went out to pull the car in and admitted it was stuck, but said by tugging on the steering wheel, he was then able to start the car. this was at 2:30 pm. they are still ...
Ignition sticks - key hard to turn - NewBeetle.org Forums
newbeetle.org › ... › Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle
Oct 23, 2014 - 6 posts - ‎3 authors
I just adopted a 2010 Beetle and noticed that the ignition sometimes gets stuck. I have to push in ... I know many cars require this sometimes because of the steering lock, but this feels different, as though it may break soon. Is this typical? ... The I sprayed dry graphite lubricant in the ignition barrel. It unlocked ...
Ignition Key Will Not Turn...? - NewBeetle.org Forums
newbeetle.org › NewBeetle.org Forums › 1998-2011 New Beetle › 2.0 Liter Gas
Nov 25, 2009 - 21 posts - ‎14 authors
After dealing with ti for a week or two, I just sprayed some wd40 in the cylinder, i had to have the key in it a little to have the straw spray inside the lock, but ... when the steering wheel is locked in a certain position, the key won't fit right, or turn right, so the trick is to grab the steering wheel and move it slightly ...
Ignition Lock Sticking - NewBeetle.org Forums
Oct 16, 2012 - 6 posts - ‎3 authors
I just purchased a 2006 Beetle and have discovered that the ignition lock sticks and the key will not turn. ... Also the local VW service dept. suggested it might be the housing and not the key cylinder. ... Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Search > Ignition Switch > ES#248368 Ignition Switch - 4B0905849
Ignition lock cyl - NewBeetle.org Forums
Dec 23, 2012 - 14 posts - ‎4 authors
Hey all, got a question about the wife's 2009 NB. Occasionally the ignition lock cylinder will stick. She has already broke one key, and replaced at a.
2010 Ignition Lock Hard To Turn - NewBeetle.org Forums
newbeetle.org › NewBeetle.org Forums › 1998-2011 New Beetle › 2.5 Liter Gas
May 4, 2016 - 3 posts - ‎2 authors
Hard to turn 2010 Ignition Lock. Anyone ever get their ignition lock replaced/fixed? What was your cost. I should have been more diligent and complaining to get it fixed when we purchased the Beetle from a dealer summer 2015 but did note it, told them it seemed hard to turn, and they sprayed some lube in ...

And the broken door stop:

help! broken check strap - NewBeetle.org Forums
May 5, 2006 - 15 posts - ‎11 authors
so i open my door and i hear this metallic 'clink' and thought 'oh @&*#$&@!!'. the check strap arm snapped off my door. go to the dealership,
Door Check Problem - NewBeetle.org Forums
newbeetle.org › ... › 1998-2011 New Beetle › Modifications › Technical Modifications
Jan 13, 2015 - 21 posts - ‎7 authors
One thing I'm wondering about is our broken left door check (or strap). The strap is toast; only the mount, the pin, and a stub of the strap remain on the jamb. And, of course, just an opening in the door. The door opens/closes/latches fine but it has no tension and sorta just blows freely in the wind.
Replacing Door Check - NewBeetle.org Forums
Oct 24, 2006 - 19 posts - ‎6 authors
We had one member of our local club that had his break and he still says that the body shop said they would have to replace the door - but it looks like it can ... BUT.....i was just wondering....i read a thread about someone's door check strap just breaking in half....is this what will happen over time if lubrication ...
Door Check strap popping loudly - NewBeetle.org Forums
newbeetle.org › NewBeetle.org Forums › General Discussion › Paint and Body
Sep 2, 2009 - 12 posts - ‎7 authors
The door check strap on my drivers door is popping loudly upon opening or closing of the door. Is there a fix for this, or a replacement part.
Door Check Bracket Broken - NewBeetle.org Forums
Jun 29, 2017 - 4 posts - ‎2 authors
I have 2007 New Beetle Convertible and the weld that the door check mounts to in the drivers door has broken off the door. Dealership solution a new.
door stopper thingy - NewBeetle.org Forums
Sep 14, 2010 - 7 posts - ‎3 authors
Ok, so the wife's door broke. From what I can tell from listening to the body shop, the door stop9 (the piece that stops the door from opening to the front of the car) snapped off. Now the door won't stay open. The body shop said this was a common occurrence on these NB, and that a new door is in order ...
Beetle door check strap - NewBeetle.org Forums
Apr 26, 2014 - 2 posts - ‎1 author
Want to change this as the driver's door won't stay open but wondered how I get off the bonnet latch assembly and foot panel (this is a right hand.
2008 Door stop problem - NewBeetle.org Forums
newbeetle.org › NewBeetle.org Forums › General Discussion › Paint and Body
Aug 31, 2015 - 3 posts - ‎2 authors
I have a 2008 Convertible SE. Recently the bracket that holds one end of the door check strap broke completely off from the door frame. Has anyone had or seen this happen? Any fixes, aside from purchasing a replacement door? Appreciate any insight. The bracket holding the strap on the '08 appears to ...
Door stop issue...clank! - NewBeetle.org Forums
Nov 10, 2015 - 7 posts - ‎2 authors
Hello. I'm new to the forum and id like to say thanks in advance for all the informative threads. I recently purchased a 2001 2.0 new beetle, it has some issues I've been able to address but one has been pretty tough to get info on. I believe its the door stop located above the bottom hinge, it makes a heck of a ...

Just be glad you can start your car and not worry about the door. And I've had more VWs than you and even had a 1st place VW winner at the Cal Bugbash. I loved VW until now.

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:01 pm

And no VW hater - just facts. My ID - is Rebello Racing + VW.

onourway

Post by onourway » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:01 pm

Eh, I'm no VW fan but stuff happens. Just because you've never experienced those specific failures before doesn't mean they don't also happen in other makes. I've certainly had failed ignition cylinders before. At 8+ years old, stuff starts to break. $700 isn't really that big a deal for a repair compared to the price of a new vehicle. The door would irritate me probably enough to get rid of the vehicle unless it was a one-off and it wasn't likely to happen again in a used replacement.

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:07 pm

onourway wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:01 pm
Eh, I'm no VW fan but stuff happens. Just because you've never experienced those specific failures before doesn't mean they don't also happen in other makes. I've certainly had failed ignition cylinders before. At 8+ years old, stuff starts to break. $700 isn't really that big a deal for a repair compared to the price of a new vehicle. The door would irritate me probably enough to get rid of the vehicle unless it was a one-off and it wasn't likely to happen again in a used replacement.
I'd love to only have the ignition problem. The door problem is serious - and I if you saw what happened you would be angry too. The sheet metal is so thin that it simply tore right off. I wish I could pay 700.00 to fix it. I've paid 250 for a bodyshop - they fixed it - (terribly by the way with a couple spot welds) and it tore off again. The only way is via a custom bracket or a new door. New doors are not 700.00. The body shop also suggested I tell my insurance - that doesn't seem right?

Anyhow I pay 1000's on fixing and maintaining my cars - not a problem. But the door can't be fixed w/o doing it myself.

onourway

Post by onourway » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:09 pm

rebellovw wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:07 pm

I'd love to only have the ignition problem. The door problem is serious - and I if you saw what happened you would be angry too. The sheet metal is so thin that it simply tore right off. I wish I could pay 700.00 to fix it. I've paid 250 for a bodyshop - they fixed it - (terribly by the way with a couple spot welds) and it tore off again. The only way is via a custom bracket or a new door. New doors are not 700.00. The body shop also suggested I tell my insurance - that doesn't seem right?

Anyhow I pay 1000's on fixing and maintaining my cars - not a problem. But the door can't be fixed w/o doing it myself.
Why can't you install a used door that can likely be bought for under $200?

I agree, if there is a sheet metal problem fundamental to the design, I'd sell the car rather than have it happen again.

What model VW? I know a fair number of people with VW's of that vintage and have never heard of this issue before.

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:14 pm

onourway wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:09 pm
rebellovw wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:07 pm

Why can't you install a used door that can likely be bought for under $200?

I agree, if there is a sheet metal problem fundamental to the design, I'd sell the car rather than have it happen again.

What model VW? I know a fair number of people with VW's of that vintage and have never heard of this issue before.
Thanks. It is a 2010 New Beetle Convertible - absolutely beautiful and only has less that 20K on it. The door is perfect except this issue - and I'll stop talking about it - since I'll fix it myself - as nothing is better than a factory door. I've replaced hoods and quarterpanels in older VWs and they are thin and nothing like the original. A junk one would be good - but likely also have the thin metal.

I was just hoping VW would step up and make sure it is fixed - not pay for the entire thing but throw me a bone for being such a loyal customer. Their response is - sorry we can't do anything - it is an old car. "We can make sure that the dealer fixes it and that you pay for it"

Over and out.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:25 pm

Please stay on-topic, which is the VW Atlas.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Erhnam

Post by Erhnam » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:30 am

Bumping this up...

You guys that have the Atlas in this thread...do you still like it?

Anyone really compare the Atlas vs. the Ascent? Looking for some thoughts and feedback

auggiedoggies

Post by auggiedoggies » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:35 pm

We have an Atlas, SE with 3.6/4Motion and Captains chairs in the 2nd row.

We love it. Awesome vehicle. Tons of space, drives very smooth. The warranty helps with peace of mind. We have had it for ~6 months, and we are extremely happy. VW Dealership experience is great too. We've had it in for an oil change and one small software update, they provided a nice new loaner and great service.

Erhnam

Post by Erhnam » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:02 am

How's the mpg?