Microsoft tech support scam - how to recover?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
CULater

Microsoft tech support scam - how to recover?

Post by CULater » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:09 pm

It's amazing that smart people do stupid things, but I had a smart - but not computer savvy - friend who just got taken by the tech support scam. In fairness to my friend, it was a VERY convincing scam. I'd even told her that my idiot bro-in-law had been taken in a while back but apparently this didn't even click in. To review: someone calls you on the phone and tells you they are a microsoft tech and there are problems with Windows that MS is calling people to fix. If you will just grant them remote access, they'll take you through the issues on your computer and then fix everything up just dandy. Then they do a bunch of amazing things that convinces you they are the real deal. Well, you were stupid enough to do it, so now you're left trying to figure out what they've done and how you can undo the harm.

I'm just wondering if anyone else will admit to having been suckered and what steps they took to deal with the aftermath, and how successful they think they've been. Or maybe you could describe what happened to a "friend" (not you). Something short of wiping the drive and re-installing everything? Of course, my friend doesn't do regular backups just like most of us, so that presents a problem.

Share your stories of grief and woe, fellow Bogleheads!
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

Rob5TCP

Re: Microsoft tech support scam - how to recover?

Post by Rob5TCP » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:21 pm

I've had two friends get taken over.
One I had to reformat the hard drive (load Win7, and their backup of all data).

The other (she paid and later cancelled her c.c.).; I was able to remove the teamviewer that they left in the open position. I scanned with Malwarebytes, plus several other packages.

You have to see what traces they left on the computer.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:29 pm

Perhaps eight or nine years ago I was taken in by a false "diagnostic" malware scam on my wife's computer. My memory may not be perfectly accurate.

The malware put up a fake but convincing screen saying that a disk vendor's built-in diagnostic had been triggered by a disk problem and was running automatically. It began listing many convincing-sounding problems, and said they could be resolved; "click here to rebuild disk directory." One of us clicked, and it then came up saying that unfortunately our software was out of date, and could repair only 9 of the 11 problems. Fortunately, the current version could repair the two remaining problems, and it took us to a screen that prompted us to buy the update, with our credit card number, for $39.95.

Finally I became suspicious--because it seemed unlikely that if the disk was really as hosed as all that, that it could still access the Internet, let us buy a software update, and install it correctly. I went to my own computer, typed in some searches, and learned that it was a well-known piece of malware, and it worked purely by social engineering--IIRC simply restarting the computer was enough to stop all the drama, and running Malwarebytes or Window Defender was enough to clear out the malware.

I hate to tell you how close were were to just paying the $39.95.

A kinder, gentler kind of ransomware from the good old days.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

lynneny

Post by lynneny » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:32 pm

Last week a red screen popped up on my laptop saying I had a virus and should call Microsoft Windows Tech Support. Clearly a scam and I didn't call the number, but the full-page pop-up locked my browser and I couldn't close it. Then the scammers downloaded an audio file telling me I had a virus, my identity would be stolen, my passwords hacked, etc if I didn't call Microsoft tech support.

A more tech savvy person than I am could have figured out how to unlock the screen, but I took my laptop to a Microsoft store (luckily Microsoft has real stores, not scam stores). One of their nice tech guys got rid of the problem in a couple minutes. He also downloaded ad blockers on all my browsers, since the scam apparently enters your computer via pop-up ads from a website you've visited. And while I was there, he showed me how to do a few other things I asked about. He spent about 45 minutes with me. No charge. I've just become a big Microsoft fan.

I miss the old days when this was just a phone scam and you could hang up on them. The freeze-your-browser pop-up ads are more annoying.

For anyone not near a Microsoft store, you can get help by going to the real Microsoft site and scheduling a call with a genuine Microsoft tech support person, who will call you at the agreed-upon time. And be a real Microsoft person.

oneleaf

Post by oneleaf » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:41 pm

Is the computer functional? First step I would do is disconnect Internet from it so it is completely offline. Then back up your important files. Be selective, don’t just copy the whole C drive. Then, unfortunately, wipe it and reinstall the OS.

CULater

Post by CULater » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:03 pm

oneleaf wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:41 pm
Is the computer functional? First step I would do is disconnect Internet from it so it is completely offline. Then back up your important files. Be selective, don’t just copy the whole C drive. Then, unfortunately, wipe it and reinstall the OS.
How can you reinstall the OS when it came preloaded on the computer? No disks.
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

oneleaf

Post by oneleaf » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:07 pm

CULater wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:03 pm
oneleaf wrote:
Microsoft has resources to help you build installation media (USB stick) and you can use the key from the sticker that should be on the computer. Some PC’s like Dells have a recovery partition you can install from, though I would still be tempted to go totally fresh after what happened.

squirm

Post by squirm » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:38 pm

I'm still waiting for someone to call me so I can play along for a while and have a little fun.

squirm

Post by squirm » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:40 pm

lynneny wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:32 pm
Last week a red screen popped up on my laptop saying I had a virus and should call Microsoft Windows Tech Support. Clearly a scam and I didn't call the number, but the full-page pop-up locked my browser and I couldn't close it. Then the scammers downloaded an audio file telling me I had a virus, my identity would be stolen, my passwords hacked, etc if I didn't call Microsoft tech support.

A more tech savvy person than I am could have figured out how to unlock the screen, but I took my laptop to a Microsoft store (luckily Microsoft has real stores, not scam stores). One of their nice tech guys got rid of the problem in a couple minutes. He also downloaded ad blockers on all my browsers, since the scam apparently enters your computer via pop-up ads from a website you've visited. And while I was there, he showed me how to do a few other things I asked about. He spent about 45 minutes with me. No charge. I've just become a big Microsoft fan.

I miss the old days when this was just a phone scam and you could hang up on them. The freeze-your-browser pop-up ads are more annoying.

For anyone not near a Microsoft store, you can get help by going to the real Microsoft site and scheduling a call with a genuine Microsoft tech support person, who will call you at the agreed-upon time. And be a real Microsoft person.
This hijacking happens on my Android phone using Chrome once in a while.

squirm

Post by squirm » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:42 pm

The only thing greatly concerns me is when something doesn't seem right with Lastpass.

oneleaf

Post by oneleaf » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:59 pm

squirm wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:38 pm
I'm still waiting for someone to call me so I can play along for a while and have a little fun.
I did this once. Told him to hold on. Waited 5 minutes. Then told him I finally have the computer on. Then asked him to hold another 5 min. Then pretended to follow his instructions for awhile until finally saying “oops, did you say Windows? I’m on a Mac.” Then told him I needed to turn on my Windows PC. Told him to wait. Came back 5 min later to find he hung up.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:31 am

Years ago somebody called me saying they were from Microsoft. It seemed really odd so I kept asking him questions. Finally I asked him where he was calling from and he said it was from a nearby town - which seemed odd for Microsoft. Eventually either I hung up or he became annoyed with me and gave up. I forget which.

denovo

Post by denovo » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:55 am

CULater wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:09 pm

I'm just wondering if anyone else will admit to having been suckered and what steps they took to deal with the aftermath, and how successful they think they've been.
Hard to say what steps when you haven't explained what happened completely? Could you ask him and edit your post? I would obviously dispute any transactions if he gave credit card info and request a new card with a new number.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

German Expat

Post by German Expat » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:21 am

To stay on the safe side I would

1. disconnect the computer from the Internet (cable, wifi button or whatever type of computer it is)
2. load all data files that are needed (e.g. documents, pictures etc.) to a USB memory stick, make sure it is only documents
3. get a new install of windows from the Microsoft web site (e.g. on a USB stick) from a different non infected computer
4. reinstall the computer (format hard disk, do not install on top of the old operating system)
5. install anti virus and anti malware software
6. get data from 2. back to the machine
7. Make regular backups because the next guy might encrypt the hard disk :-) (you got a USB stick now)

I would not use the computer even after running a malware or virus scanner. You never know what they did and they might have left a keyboard logger on the machine or some other nasty things. Not everything gets picked up my anti malware or virus scanners.

Had friends that fell for the popup trick. The popup was very convincing and they guy on the phone was not bad. They called me around 5 minutes into the call with the 'tech support' and I told them to hang up. They had the machine wiped and reinstalled afterwards.

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:29 am

I have received these calls in the past.

When the guy said he wanted to help me with my computer problem, I told him I didn't even own a computer.
That pretty much ended the call; he hung up without going any further.

Everyone needs to be very careful with these scammers.

Have a great day,

Don

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:41 am

The only truly safe option is to wipe the drive and reinstall from the factory disk.

(I have contemplated what I would do if one of these guys ever calls me again; I would just love to go to my Linux machine, start VirtualBox, bring up a sandboxed copy of Linux Mint on the Linux machine, open a browser inside the sandboxed Linux, and tell the guy "okay, Mr. Microsoft -- go to it!", just to see what he does. :twisted: )
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

NightFall

Post by NightFall » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:06 am

I thought this group got shut down. I got lots of calls like these years ago. I told one of them that I only had Macs. He said that he could see a windows machine connected to my wireless network. I started cursing about how that $&%^! neighbor was stealing my wifi again. I told him that I was going to go get the neighbor so that he could talk to him while I called the police to report the theft. He hung up right away.

scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:21 am

lynneny wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:32 pm

Once in a while, I get one of those popup screens telling me I have a virus along with an audio message and to call some number and not shut down your PC blah blah blah.......the screen won't go away when you try to close it. I know it's a scam but I don't want to simply waste time by rebooting the system, possibly losing unsaved work elsewhere. I go into Task Manager and close my browser(s) that way. When I reopen that browser I can't say "yes" to restore that browser's contents (or else the bad popup will reappear). If I have other browsers of the same type open, I will lose any unsaved work there, but my other open tasks are unaffected.

My 87-year-old dad once got a similar popup with the same ominous warning and got scared. He knew not to call the number but didn't know what to do to be able to use the internet again. He also knew well enough to call me. I asked him if he had any browsers open and he said he did not. He is hardly tech-savvy, so trying to talk him through Task Manager was going to be very tough (if doable), so I told him it's a scam and he could simply reboot the system. At least he knew how to do that! The next time I was at his house, I did some antivirus and anti-spyware scans and all was good.

bberris

Post by bberris » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:57 am

oneleaf wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:07 pm
CULater wrote:
oneleaf wrote:
Microsoft has resources to help you build installation media (USB stick) and you can use the key from the sticker that should be on the computer. Some PC’s like Dells have a recovery partition you can install from, though I would still be tempted to go totally fresh after what happened.
I simply had a SSD fail and got very stuck.
If you only have one PC, make sure you are prepared with a thumb drive and dvd (belt and suspenders) with install media. You won't be able to download the install media at the library. Fortunately, I kept an old hard drive from a swap and was able to get it at home.

midareff

Post by midareff » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:10 am

squirm wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:42 pm
The only thing greatly concerns me is when something doesn't seem right with Lastpass.
Amen!

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:27 am

You should also;

1) Put credit freezes on your credit reports if you had any sensitive information like tax returns on your computer or might have had any emails on that computer with identity information. You should really have these any way.

2) Apply to the IRS for PIN to secure future tax returns.

3) Change all your passwords since they may have captured any passwords you entered.

4) Scan any flash drives that might have been infected with a virus.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:50 am

CULater wrote:
oneleaf wrote:
Well, your friend wasn't supposed to leave themselves in a pickle by not having the disc. If it were me in this situation, I'd hop on Amazon and pick up a physical copy of Windows 7. I would never want to be without an OS install disc. It's essentially "computer insurance."

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:01 am

CULater wrote:
oneleaf wrote:
The Windows computers I have purchased with preinstalled OS have the ability to create OS disks so you can reinstall. It should be in the instructions that came with your machine. I think there is a partition on the hard drive that separates the active OS from the part where a virgin copy of the OS install disks are saved.

bberris

Post by bberris » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:31 am

Windows 7 and 10 allow you to make install media. You don't need to buy another copy. Your PC has a sticker with a license.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... tion-media

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:41 am

My elderly mother almost gave them money but did give them remote access. I spent the evening wiping her hard drive (again) and put Linux Mint on her computer instead with no root access. She had an uncanny ability to mess up her computer. That fixed the issues. All she needed (and was able to understand) is a simple browser with buttons on the favorites bar for her bank, facebook, and a few other sites.

scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:51 am

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:50 am
CULater wrote:
oneleaf wrote:
Well, your friend wasn't supposed to leave themselves in a pickle by not having the disc. If it were me in this situation, I'd hop on Amazon and pick up a physical copy of Windows 7. I would never want to be without an OS install disc. It's essentially "computer insurance."
Also, the Windows sticks have a repair facility which can help get an OS up and running again. I have one for W10 but I was able to use its repair facility to fix a W7 OS which wasn't running well. I didn't expect it to work but it did!

rantk81

Post by rantk81 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:54 am

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:41 am
The only truly safe option is to wipe the drive and reinstall from the factory disk.

(I have contemplated what I would do if one of these guys ever calls me again; I would just love to go to my Linux machine, start VirtualBox, bring up a sandboxed copy of Linux Mint on the Linux machine, open a browser inside the sandboxed Linux, and tell the guy "okay, Mr. Microsoft -- go to it!", just to see what he does. :twisted: )
There is a HUGE subculture of "scambaiters" on youtube who make videos, doing this with windows virtual machines. Some are quite hilarious.
They also make videos trolling the "IRS Scammers"... and others.

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:14 am

sschoe2 wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:41 am
My elderly mother almost gave them money but did give them remote access. I spent the evening wiping her hard drive (again) and put Linux Mint on her computer instead with no root access. She had an uncanny ability to mess up her computer. That fixed the issues. All she needed (and was able to understand) is a simple browser with buttons on the favorites bar for her bank, facebook, and a few other sites.
Get her a Chromebook. They're cheap, and very easy to use and support.

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:33 am

Though I sympathize with folks being scammed, I actually quite enjoy messing with these "windows support team" crooks. This week he got a couple of minutes into the spiel, when I interrupted and asked if he was still trying to pull off this scam after being prosecuted by the Feds. "Yes", he said, "it still works for us", called me a rude name, and hung up. I considered that a small victory!

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:43 am

I've become cautious about anything I don't start in communications of any sort nowadays. Voice is still the best and most primary of all form of communications. Video is nice if all parties have it in use. Way to many ladys wouldn't want a call first thing in the morning in the form of video, nor myself for that matter. LOL It's great to have all your data backed up off network, secure in the case on need to rebuild your OS structure. Use of good malware software is a must have.
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

Whakamole

Post by Whakamole » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:36 pm

I told the scammer that I worked for Microsoft too and asked for their email alias.

Haven't gotten a call since. :twisted:

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:05 pm

Of course these scammers are not really Microsoft, they usually say they are with Windows technical support implying Microsoft. I tell them how strange this is since I am using a Mac at which time they hangup. They often direct users to the event manager which normally has some errors. They often call when our computers are all turned off so certainly no errors are being generated.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:36 pm

I basically tell these morons to take a walk. One I kept calling back to tie up his lines, finally he stopped picking up.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

Toons

Post by Toons » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:15 pm

The last time one of those scam operations called me,,,I told them that our conversation was being "monitored",
The next sound I hear was "click"
:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:22 pm

Played with one scammer for ~30 minutes.
--"My PCs not on, it can't be causing problems,” says I. "It is, go start it,” says he.
--He heard the PC startup sound (Win98).
--Took ~10 minutes to boot first time as startup batch file does daily backup, plus loads needed programs.
--I generally make coffee during startup... so told him I'd be back in 5 minutes.
--Came back to find him waiting to walk me thought his process.
--Allowed "startup process" to run for ~5 minutes more while we talked about the problems he'd found.
--"The startup process is done. Now what do I do?" says I.
--He couldn't find the tools he expecting on my PC. (Those tools don't exist on a Win98 machine. MS would have known that.)
--I let him fumble for a while then mentioned that "mine is a WIN98 PC. Didn't say anything because you are MS and you knew that."
--So he switched tactics and tried 2-3 things to impress me with windows tricks.
--Somewhere during his process a long scrolling screen appears that just kept scrolling.
--The scrolling frightened me so I shouted, "What do I do?!"
--He told me to "...stop it." So I hit the power button to shut down my PC.
--"What did you do?” says he. "I stopped it like you said," says I.
--"That was wrong" says he, "We'll have to start over." "Okay" says I.

--He heard the PC startup sound (Win98).
--Then the blue screen to check for errors after an improper shutdown.
--Then windows startup batch processing again. I waited patiently with him and assured it would be faster this time because the daily backups were done. I asked him to tell me more about my PC problems.

We went thought his process a second time and then he wanted me to connect to the internet so he could fix my PC problems. "Okay, it will be nice to have the problems fixed." says I.

But no matter how I tried, I couldn't get my PC to connect to the internet. So he wanted me to reset my modem, but I can't... because it's internal to my PC, and I have no physical access to it. I'd have to shut down my PC to open it. "No, don't do that!" says he.

Everything he suggested failed. Why? I helped him diagnose the problem.

It was a simple technical problem really, and I'm surprised MS didn't know this. It turns out my PC uses a dial-up modem, so it can't call out while he's tying up my landline phone. :idea: :!:

"Click"

That's this PC. It works on the BH forum, with gmail, and downloads daily fund prices. All that I need.
But it absolutely will not work while a scammer is talking to me. :D

I have the install disks and my data is backed up daily, and a second backup is made on the weekend.

The last time a scammer called, I didn't have time to play so told him that I'd sold this PC... just too many internet problems that MS support never seemed to be able to fix. Told him I now only use the PCs at the public library. (My tax dollars at work.)

Haven't heard from them since.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:11 pm

squirm wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:38 pm
+1 I've done that twice.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:53 pm

Just came home to find a new wrinkle on this scam... a very robotic voice left a voicemail on my answering machine telling me that my "Windows license had expired and all services have stopped on your computer". They left an 855-area-code number to call back. But I accidentally :wink: deleted the voicemail before I could call them back. Oh me oh my, what will I do?? :shock:
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:53 pm

They must be trying new wrinkles to see what works.

Returned home today to find a computer female voice on my answering machine saying, "We've been ordered to shut down and return the money you paid. Call us so we can repay you."

Bet they want my CC number so they can put money back on my account.

Too bad my old land line phone uses "black rotary" technology so I didn't get the callback number.

If they call back, I'll let them keep the money... because I'm a nice guy.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

multiham

Post by multiham » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:39 pm

I used to get these calls all the time. One time I decided to play along.

Got a call and it was Microsoft Tech support telling me that my computer was throwing off mad errors. Told the scammer that I did not have a computer. He told me everyone has a computer, either a laptop or a desktop and one of them was throwing off mad errors. I repeated that I do not have a computer. He then asked me if I was lying! I asked him the same question and he hung up on me.

Always trust a technician who uses terms such as mad errors!

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:11 am

This thread has run its course and is locked (not productive). See: Personal Consumer Issues
Note that topics must be directly connected to your (or your friend's or family's) life as a consumer. General comments or complaints about these topics will be locked or removed.

Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.
Also see: Standard Phishing/Scam Threads are now Off-Topic
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.