Tired of gas grills rusting out...

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
bloom2708

Re: Tired of gas grills rusting out...

Post by bloom2708 »

If you have the time, switch to charcoal.

I have a 22" and an 18" Weber kettle. I'm not sure I've ever seen a Weber kettle rusted out.

I use one or the other and sometimes both if we are prepping a big meal. Two chimney starters and your favorite charcoal.

Better heat control, better flavor, better ability to size the amount of charcoal for the meal. My next gas grill won't rust out because I won't buy one. :wink:

If I don't have time to start charcoal, I do not have time to grill.

Might as well pan fry those burgers and dogs in the house. :wink:
Last edited by bloom2708 on Tue May 21, 2019 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
goblue100

Post by goblue100 »

I'm a huge Weber fan. I bought the Weber Genesis 17 years ago. It is under a covered patio in Texas, so not exactly your situation, but it looks almost new. I did have to replace the "flavoriser" bars this past year and the spark ignition quit working a few years back, but the grates are still good and the shell is in really good shape. I also have the Weber Smokey Mountain bullet smoker, it is 12 years old and still in really good shape as well. Weber makes a quality product.
Financial planners are savers. They want us to be 95 percent confident we can finance a 30-year retirement even though there is an 82 percent probability of being dead by then. - Scott Burns
Alf 101

Post by Alf 101 »

I'm the owner of a relatively modest Weber Q300. I've had it 10+ years, and while I've thought about upgrading it at times (the Spirit 310 looks good), it still is going strong.

Over this time I've made too repairs. First, 4-5 years ago or so, the cooking grate started to thin and rust out. It's replacement was a gift, though I see today would cost about $65. About a year ago I had to replace the burner tube; I had a section rusting through, shooting flame straight up. This cost about $40 and was an easy fix. I had thought these parts would be more expensive than they were, making it more cost effective to just buy a new grill, but not so.

As for covering or not covering the grill, this is an interesting dilemma. I have long covered the grill, but had my suspicions this may not be the best approach. I've felt it's good to keep snow and ice off it in the winter, but in other seasons, after a rain the inside of the cover still feels damp. This grill has lived outside, in the open, in a full 4-season environment, and has held up remarkably well given that.
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

I bought a ~10yr old Weber Summit on CL for $100 about 10 years ago. It is still going strong.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I always wondered why my Weber branded cover had vents i the front - seemed like it just let rain, snow, etc. in. I now realize it is probably to vent moisture OUT. I’ve gotten years of service out of my Weber Spirit E310; I’ve replaced the flavorizer bars and the burner once but everything else is in great condition.
BMW

Post by BMW »

We also have a Weber stainless steel natural gas BBQ that is always kept covered. It starting rusting the first year, and now after 5-years is a horrible, unsightly mess (although usable). We live in a California seaside town, so mild weather year-round, but salt air. we are a couple blocks from the ocean, not on it.
geno974

Post by geno974 »

Buy a Weber.
Had two over that last 25 years. Gave my old one to my neighbor
And bought a new one 4 years ago.
Mine is stainless and I Never cover it even in the snow and winter.
Buy a Weber, you will not be sorry.
G
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

DaftInvestor wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:16 pm Weber for 15 years with no cover.
Your grills may be rusting out because you are covering them and trapping in moisture. My belief is that you should never cover them.
Same
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Haven't covered my charcoal webber since the cover cracked about 7 years ago. BBQ covers are a scam for good BBQ's.
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

My four year old spirit has brown spots on the side tables. I had to replace the flavor bars and the igniter has stopped working. We live a four minute walk from the ocean. It’s kept covered on the deck. It has to be kept covered this time of the year because of the immense amount of pollen in our area,
Afty

Post by Afty »

Another testimonial for Weber. I have a 10 year old Weber Q300 that is still going strong. It spent the first 2 years of its life in Boston and survived the winter there. I replaced the grates a couple years ago but otherwise have had no issues. I kind of want a new grill but can’t really justify it given how my Q300 is holding up.
MNGopher

Post by MNGopher »

I don't think covers do anything, except trap moisture in. Here in Minnesota I went through cheap grills every 2-3 years and they would rust and the starter switch wouldn't ever work. Switched to Weber, no problems, even uncovered with almost 40 inches of snow on it this month.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

Regardless of how nice of a grill you have, cleaning should help. Burned food residue is usually not pH neutral. Add in salt residue and condensation and the combined environment is fairly corrosive.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Bought a $400 Weber in 2008. I’m sad to say I think the little fellow is nearing end of life. The igniter fell apart and it’s got some pretty significant rust where the tank sits. I think the burners need replaced again as well as the cooking has become uneven. The new grills do not look as well made to me so I’ve been hesitant to retire him.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
tnbison

Post by tnbison »

I bought my weber used for 300 bucks and its nearly 20 years old. Its in great shape. Burner replaced once, upgraded to custom heavy duty stainless grates and flavorizer bars from Ebay seller RCplanebuyer(highly recommended, top notch quality). Honestly can't see myself buying another for at least another 15 years. The older ones are built to last. I can't speak to the new ones.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

BMW wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:03 pm We also have a Weber stainless steel natural gas BBQ that is always kept covered. It starting rusting the first year, and now after 5-years is a horrible, unsightly mess (although usable). We live in a California seaside town, so mild weather year-round, but salt air. we are a couple blocks from the ocean, not on it.
Your problem might be the cover and not the salt air. The cover traps in moisture.
Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 »

DaftInvestor wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:38 am
BMW wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:03 pm We also have a Weber stainless steel natural gas BBQ that is always kept covered. It starting rusting the first year, and now after 5-years is a horrible, unsightly mess (although usable). We live in a California seaside town, so mild weather year-round, but salt air. we are a couple blocks from the ocean, not on it.
Your problem might be the cover and not the salt air. The cover traps in moisture.
You should have called Weber and sent them pictures. I have never heard of one rusting. My house has a constant breeze from the ocean, then across a lake, then across my chlorine pool. All previous grills rusted out in 3-5 years. My Weber is 10 years old and looks brand new. Ignitor broke the first years and the castors are starting to break down. If your location is so hostile, corrosive, and salty that a Weber started to rust in a year I cannot imagine what would happen to any other kind of grill.
If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging
Jimmie

Post by Jimmie »

All this talk from people to diversify.

How about this "asset allocation"?
  • Big Green Egg (large model) bought in 2013 for smaller barbecues, primarily to smoke meats - burns lump charcoal and wood chips/chunks
  • Upright propane cabinet smoker bought in 2015 for medium barbecues - uses wood chips/chunks
  • Home built, double barrel smoker for larger barbecues holds 100+ pounds of meat- burns smaller logs and chunks
  • Weber Genesis bought in 2011 for everyday, year-round, grilling - natural gas
Replaced my electric stove with a gas model over ten years ago and had the plumber "T-off" the gas piping to my deck for the Weber that I had not yet purchased. The Weber was about $900 at the time which included $100 extra for the natural gas option. The routing of new gas lines for the range and grill was another $750, but that was the best money I ever spent.

As far as the quality of the Weber, it looks good as new once I clean off the everyday grease. No rust, burners perfect, even the spark igniter is only on the second set of batteries since it was new. Can't even believe that would be possible.

I try to cover the Weber when I can, but often it is raining, snowing, or by the time it is cool enough, I'm in bed with a bellyful of meat. The two smaller smokers have covers and are good as new. The large smoker lives in my garage. Since it is my pet project started in 2008, it gets repainted often. It is built like a tank, has a firebrick-lined firebox and will outlive me.

Obviously, I am in favor of spending money for something good that will last. And I take my barbecue and grilling seriously.
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

I have a Weber that works great. Then I bought a Big Green Egg. It's easy to use and clean up. It can reach searing temps that my Weber cannot. I haven't used the gas grill since. An alternative direction you could consider.
ColoradoRick

Post by ColoradoRick »

If you have a minimalist bent. Weber makes a small grill uses 16oz tanks has about a 1'x3' footprint. Retails around $199. Cast aluminum body painted colors with heavy steel grills. No cart, just put some boards in a corner of the deck and takes up hardly any space at all. Nobody eats 22ox Tbones anymore so you can comfortable grill for 6 on it. Use about 4-6 of those canisters per year. Love it!!!!
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

TallBoy29er wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:26 am I have a Weber that works great. Then I bought a Big Green Egg. It's easy to use and clean up. It can reach searing temps that my Weber cannot. I haven't used the gas grill since. An alternative direction you could consider.
I did the same thing, except got a Kamado Joe (Cheaper/more features/lifetime warranty--the boglehead kamado!). That resulted in the immediate retirement of my Weber kettle, and the sale of both of my smokers within 6 months. After a year or two went by, I noticed I only used my Weber Genesis for simple stuff like hot dogs or vegetables. So last summer I replaced it with a Camp Chef 36" griddle, which is just awesome. Between the Kamado and the flat top, I'm set.
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

Has anyone mentioned a Weber yet?
skteam

Post by skteam »

RudyS wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:34 pm
bbqguru wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:11 am
sport wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:20 am Do they still make grills that are made of cast aluminum? I had one at my old house that was still going after 40 years. My "new" one is 11 years old. We never used a cover on either of these, despite our harsh winter weather. The burners and grids may need to be replaced periodically. I solved the grid problem on the new grill because it has stainless steel grids. We replaced the burner at about 8 years under warranty. This type of grill may be more expensive, but I feel it is worth it. I also had/have natural gas piped to these grills, so no propane tanks to lug around or run out.
Broilmaster still makes them- lifetime warranty on virtually everything depending on the model.

A new Weber should last you 12-15 years no issues. Their latest models have 10 year warranties on everything.
We have one with cast aluminum body that's still fine after 30 years. But the burner has to be replaced about every 4 years, and the grate every 6 - 8 years. But the body is still fine. I do cover it in the winter. Don't remember the brand, either charmglo or charbroil. (Not home now so can't check the manual.)
I have a broilmaster, cast aluminum clamshell design. It will celebrate its 30th birthday next year. I've had to replace bits and pieces along the way, but the thing is incredibly well made.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

Bought a Nexgrill a year or so ago as my first gas grill. If it rusts out I will know by that time if I use it enough to invest for the ages in a more expensive one.
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

Well part of your problem is that gas grills have no soul...how on earth can you expect to make a world class brisket on a gas grill. The Traeger grill is the one to get...say nay nay to the gas...get the wood!!!
OK..full discloser I was given a Traeger grill as a gift and that thing is AWESOME...yea it takes some practice getting used to the whole pellet thing but once you get that smoky taste going you will ask why it took so long for you to come around...
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

adamthesmythe wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:30 pm Bought a Nexgrill a year or so ago as my first gas grill. If it rusts out I will know by that time if I use it enough to invest for the ages in a more expensive one.
My in-laws have one - please accept my condolences. Whether it rusts is not the only measure of a grill... :wink:

JT
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed a post which associated grilling with a medical problem (medical advice). As a reminder, see: Medical Issues
Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes a list of their top recommended sites.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

bottlecap wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:08 pm
adamthesmythe wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:30 pm Bought a Nexgrill a year or so ago as my first gas grill. If it rusts out I will know by that time if I use it enough to invest for the ages in a more expensive one.
My in-laws have one - please accept my condolences. Whether it rusts is not the only measure of a grill... :wink:

JT
Works just fine. And this from a user that really really hates electric stoves. Heat is heat.

I now have another addition to my list of products with a cult following.
Wattsbar1

Post by Wattsbar1 »

Others have mentioned it and I'll mention it again, Broilmaster! My wife's grandfather's retirement gift from the Oak Ridge National Lab in 1973 was a Broilmaster 1000, its still going strong. We've replaced the bowtie burner onnce in all those years. Other than that, everything is orignal including the redwood side arms/tables. Papaw Mac would be proud, four generations have enjoyed his Broilmaster.
SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad »

OldBallCoach wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:54 pm Well part of your problem is that gas grills have no soul...how on earth can you expect to make a world class brisket on a gas grill. The Traeger grill is the one to get...say nay nay to the gas...get the wood!!!
OK..full discloser I was given a Traeger grill as a gift and that thing is AWESOME...yea it takes some practice getting used to the whole pellet thing but once you get that smoky taste going you will ask why it took so long for you to come around...
Agree with dump the gas grill. Had a Traeger for 11 years and what a great grilling experience. Traeger works great and very rugged. Nothing like pellet grilling. Starts fast like gas, but with wood charcoaled flavor. Next level up is a MAK pellet grill, which I now own and use. Except now when the snow is hip deep and I can't get to it, I grill on the MAK three seasons 2 or 3 times each week. I use Costco Traeger "gourmet' wood pellets, with excellent results.
skteam

Post by skteam »

Wattsbar1 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:22 pm Others have mentioned it and I'll mention it again, Broilmaster! My wife's grandfather's retirement gift from the Oak Ridge National Lab in 1973 was a Broilmaster 1000, its still going strong. We've replaced the bowtie burner onnce in all those years. Other than that, everything is orignal including the redwood side arms/tables. Papaw Mac would be proud, four generations have enjoyed his Broilmaster.
Yeah, the Broilmaster really is in a class of its own in my experience. Expensive entry point, but no corners cut, top to bottom. I still remember when I disassembled my grill because I wanted to re-paint the shell. The bolts attaching the shell to the base--the part of the grill subject to moisture, grease, ash, and heat for 25+ years at that point--looks brand new. They clearly chose not just stainless bolts, but the very best stainless they could get. My one fear is that they will someday go out of business because nobody ever has to replace them...
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

SevenBridgesRoad wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:31 am
OldBallCoach wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:54 pm Well part of your problem is that gas grills have no soul...how on earth can you expect to make a world class brisket on a gas grill. The Traeger grill is the one to get...say nay nay to the gas...get the wood!!!
Agree with dump the gas grill. Had a Traeger for 11 years and what a great grilling experience. Traeger works great and very rugged. Nothing like pellet grilling. Starts fast like gas, but with wood charcoaled flavor. Next level up is a MAK pellet grill, which I now own and use. Except now when the snow is hip deep and I can't get to it, I grill on the MAK three seasons 2 or 3 times each week. I use Costco Traeger "gourmet' wood pellets, with excellent results.
Then you need to buy a snowblower or hire someone to dig you out to the grill...LOL...We laugh but some of those long cold winter days seem much more bearable with a nice brickett at dinner!!
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

adamthesmythe wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:46 pm
bottlecap wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:08 pm

JT
Works just fine. And this from a user that really really hates electric stoves. Heat is heat.

I now have another addition to my list of products with a cult following.
The thin cook box with a 3 inch gap in the back (which lets any breeze in) never lets me get a consistent heat.

Unless you’re cooking thin burger patties or dogs with an open lid, consistent heat is important.

JT
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

You're giving someone grief about a gas grill that has " no soul" and then tell him to get a pellet grill? I find this quite ironic.
GoldStar

Post by GoldStar »

This thread is nearly a year old so not sure who is asking but for anyone still interested I would recommend a Weber with no cover (Seems I'm not the only one :)). I've had one for 15 years - no rust. The downfall of no cover is in the winter I sometimes have to clear off snow and chip ice off the controls if they are frozen in place but I would have trouble removing the cover as well. Good grills like fresh air - covers just trap in moisture.
SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad »

OldBallCoach wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:50 am
SevenBridgesRoad wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:31 am
Then you need to buy a snowblower or hire someone to dig you out to the grill...LOL...We laugh but some of those long cold winter days seem much more bearable with a nice brickett at dinner!!
OBC, you've slapped me right upside the head! I have a powerful snowblower and use it most days right now...but only on the driveway and sidewalks and where we keep the garbage cans. What?! Why not out back? Talk about limited thinking! OK, I'm thinking how to get the snowblower to the grill...I'll report back. We literally need our snow shoes to get to the back yard this time of year...but I'm thinking. Thanks!! :sharebeer
malabargold

Post by malabargold »

Rusting gas grills:

The combustion of both propane and natural gas
produces water

Your options are to not use the grill or replace it
with one that has rust-free components
mancich

Post by mancich »

Long-time Weber fan here as well. Question on covers: some say do it, others say don't. I use one and haven't had a problem yet. Any value to leaving it uncovered, and maybe once or twice a year simply using a car wax on the exposed metal parts to protect the paint and prevent any rusting?
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

Luke Duke wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:03 pm
You're giving someone grief about a gas grill that has " no soul" and then tell him to get a pellet grill? I find this quite ironic.
Your right...LOL...but at least with pellets you can get some wood taste into a smaller unit...nothing like the REAL BBQ places use with amazing wood flavor but better than propane I think..
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Portable Kitchen makes a cast aluminum charcoal grill.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.
Orbuculum Nongata

Post by Orbuculum Nongata »

http://pitmaker.com/product/vin/?vin=93705385

Heirloom quality. I bought one of their smokers years ago. Looks like brand new. If it lasts 50 years I suspect I'll be happy.
Potential - distraction = performance.
Jimmie

Post by Jimmie »

Mofritty wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:45 pm http://pitmaker.com/product/vin/?vin=93705385

Heirloom quality. I bought one of their smokers years ago. Looks like brand new. If it lasts 50 years I suspect I'll be happy.
At $2,895, you won't see many BH's jumping to purchase. They are still rinsing out the sandwich bags they used last year to use this year. :D
Orbuculum Nongata

Post by Orbuculum Nongata »

Jimmie wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:01 pm
Mofritty wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:45 pm http://pitmaker.com/product/vin/?vin=93705385

At $2,895, you won't see many BH's jumping to purchase. They are still rinsing out the sandwich bags they used last year to use this year. :D
Funny. Only because I rinse out sandwich bags, re-use aluminum foil, use grocery bags for garbage bags AND I happen to own Pitmaker's top of the line smoker. If people want to spend extra on sandwich bags, etc. and go cheap on grills, etc. that is sure their right. I like to do it the other way around. Freedom is a beautiful thing. Cheers!
:sharebeer
Potential - distraction = performance.
snowblinded

Post by snowblinded »

barnaclebob wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:01 am I stopped covering my charcoal grill. It just keeps the moisture in.
I've had a Weber Genesis for 17 years. Same thing--stopped covering it because I was lazy about 14 years ago, and it's been fine--through 100+ degree temps to negative 10 degree temps, sun, hail, and rain. Replaced the grates twice. I'm scared to even consider getting a new one because of the stories of the decline in quality. I can't even remember what I paid for it originally, but even with the new grates, it has to be amortized to $40 a year in hardware, with a consumable rate of $40 a year in gas. Given that the markup on prepared steak at a restaurant is 100% over the cost of the meat (and same with the wine), I come out ahead after about 3 nice meals a year (with all the other good stuff basically at food cost alone.)

The cover just ended up attracting nesting insects.
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

Our ceramic Komodo smoker is older than I am and is still producing excellent smoked dishes. It is finally starting to need a bit of TLC but many decades will eventually catch up with any product. As a half dozen posters and I agree, it makes excellent meats and other grilled foods and doesn’t rust.
Jimmie

Post by Jimmie »

To those mentioning moisture build-up under the cover. I don't believe that wetness is from water produced as the byproduct of combustion. The grill is so darn hot, any moisture is being dissipated.

I think the moisture comes later, after the grilling is done, from condensation on the metal, particularly on cold nights.

Just my theory.
Erwin007

Post by Erwin007 »

I used to buy the sub-$200 grills that would rotate on sale at Lowe’s/Home Depot. In 7-8 years I went through 2 of those (rusted out burners on both). The first one I tried to order replacement parts for, but found it was based in China and the parts plus shipping would have cost almost as much as the grill itself. The second one, (different brand) when the burners rusted out I tried to contact the manufacturer to order replacement parts and found that they were out of business—probably because they made crappy grills.

When we moved across the country 4.5 years ago, I went to buy another grill at Home Depot. It was the fall and I ended up buying a Weber Genesis that I’ve had since then that was a floor model and about $200 off regular price. 4.5 years later There is no rust, and burners still looking great. Grates look brand new. Only thing is the igniter is a little finicky, especially in cold weather. I’ve had the some care routine for all 3 grills, which is to cook my food, then leave the grill open until it cools to ambient temperature, and then put the cover on until I’m ready to use it next time. We grill about 2-4 times per week usually.
chrisjul

Post by chrisjul »

WEBER
BIGal

Post by BIGal »

Sandi_k wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:22 am Big Green Egg. It's ceramic. :D

Second on BGE....best grill ever...Get one and don't look back.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

From what I've read, you will get more years out of something like a Weber Genesis. However.....you still be replacing burners and things which are not cheap. I am happy if my $300-$400 gas grill lasts 4-5 years. Models change and I feel like I can upgrade. My last couple of grills were from Sams/Costco. I also have a ceramic grill.