Tired of gas grills rusting out...

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Fess McGee

Tired of gas grills rusting out...

Post by Fess McGee » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:50 am

I replace my Kenmore grill every 4-5 years and am getting tired of it. Things just keep rusting out, even though covered.

If I go with with a $800-$900 price point Weber, keep a quality cover on it, use it 2x per week, and it stays outside (but covered) from April-November in the midwest, how many years am I looking at here? Basically, I'm thinking of making the leap to Weber.

Any insight? Thanks in advance.

Dottie57

Re: Tired of gas grills rusting out...

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:57 am

Weber stainless steel propane grill. 15years old. Lives outside, Weber cover. Minnesota winters.

Cooks well.

ImUrHuckleberry

Post by ImUrHuckleberry » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:01 am

Nexgrill stainless if you want a decent grill at a price point below Weber.

And from what I've read and my own experience, covering a grill may cause it to it rust out faster.

aprilcpa

Post by aprilcpa » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:04 am

About 15-20 years ago, my friends made fun of us for spending the money for a Weber grill. They could not understand why we spend that much money on a grill. That grill is still on my porch and working perfectly well. Since then, I wonder how much my friends have spent on grills. :D

magicrat

Post by magicrat » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:05 am

My Weber is 11 years old and going strong. Similar usage pattern to yours. Get a good cover with vents

Hillview

Post by Hillview » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:10 am

Gas Weber here. Not covered often enough. Lives outside in unprotected New England weather (often covered with snow). 5 years and no rust yet.

prudent

Post by prudent » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:11 am

Our propane Weber is 18 years old. Northeast winters, always with a cover. The burners finally gave out 2 years ago, cost about $30 to replace. The covers last about 5-6 years before the sun fossilizes them.

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:13 am

had two weber's in 30+ years. (The only reason I got a replacement is that it was a gift from my former employer.) Yes, I live in SoCal, but its uncovered.

tic

Post by tic » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:16 am

This is, of course, not the cheapest time of year to acquire a new grill. If you can wait, you could sign up for deal alerts for Weber grills from deal aggregator sites (ie slickdeals, etc) and see what pops up in later summer/fall. In fall 2017 there were a few deals for Webers at 50% off.

mhadden1

Post by mhadden1 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:18 am

One line of thinking about covers is that they slow drying after a rain and so can be bad in a way. I used a discount store quality cover on my gas grill for a few years that was probably leaking sometimes and it did not seem to help with durability.

Regarding Weber - my dad bought a Weber charcoal kettle grill in 1969 which is still fine. He put a can of grill paint on it around 2000. I bought a similar kettle around 1998 and I use it every week or two.
Oh I can't, can I? That's what they said to Thomas Edison, mighty inventor, Thomas Lindberg, mighty flyer,and Thomas Shefsky, mighty like a rose.

sport

Post by sport » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:20 am

Do they still make grills that are made of cast aluminum? I had one at my old house that was still going after 40 years. My "new" one is 11 years old. We never used a cover on either of these, despite our harsh winter weather. The burners and grids may need to be replaced periodically. I solved the grid problem on the new grill because it has stainless steel grids. We replaced the burner at about 8 years under warranty. This type of grill may be more expensive, but I feel it is worth it. I also had/have natural gas piped to these grills, so no propane tanks to lug around or run out.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:20 am

Do you keep it covered when not in use?

Why keep buying the same brand if you are not happy with the performance?

Murgatroyd

Post by Murgatroyd » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:21 am

Bought a $350 Weber in 1996. Replaced it 2 years ago for $800. This one is much better built than the first one. So if it lasts 20 years, I’ve spent $28 per year in grill ownership. Not bad.....

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:26 am

I used to live in an area with a very wet climate. I purchased mid-range Weber grills, used them regularly year-round, kept them covered, and they lasted 7 years. I would typically replace the the grates and flavorizer bars once during that time. At the 7 year mark they wouldn't be completely worn out and could probably have been refurbished and lasted a couple of years longer but there was enough damage that I'd be ready for a new one.

I now live in a place with a much drier climate and expect that my Weber will last much longer - I hope so because I don't like the new open designs nearly as well. BTW, I've found that the Classic Accessories brand of grill covers available at reasonable prices on Amazon to be much more durable than the Weber's own brand.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:29 am

Propane 20 yo Weber still going strong! Other than replacing the flavorizor bars no issues. I use mine all year, even in winter here in Chicago. In the spring and fall I wash it down and keep it covered. No rust no fuss!

Gort

Post by Gort » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:38 am

Weber propane grill, 12 years old. Always covered when not in use. No rust. Replaced the AAA ignitor battery 6 years ago - I'm not sure why the batteries last so long! After grilling and when the grill has cooled down I clean the grates with a wire brush and lightly coat them with vegetable oil.

Realisticinvestor

Post by Realisticinvestor » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:44 am

I used to have a Ducane gas grill that was made of cast aluminum and didn't rust, but that company apparently went out of business. I have replaced it with a stainless steel grill made by Broil King, which I liked better than the Weber models based on comparing them at a Lowes store. I particularly like the larger secondary grill that is attached to the cover and sets above the main grilling surface. Another good feature is a battery powered igniter that is much more reliable than ones that rely on a piezoelectric device. The grill has been outdoors since last summer with no cover and no signs of rust.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:45 am

Everything rusts in Hawaii under the assault of salt air, especially on the Windward side of any island.
Door hinges, window frames, computers, even Toyotas.

Our stainless gas grill held up for many years. But anything that was made of regular steel rusted out. Ignitors, etc.
Under the patio roof, covered, and always cleaned well. But still, rust.

But, in Arizona, there are 1970 Ford Pinto's with bare metal paint jobs with nothing except surface rust.
Depends on climate. But, overall, Stainless or porcelain parts seem to hold up the best.

aloha
j

bbqguru

Post by bbqguru » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:11 am

sport wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:20 am
Do they still make grills that are made of cast aluminum? I had one at my old house that was still going after 40 years. My "new" one is 11 years old. We never used a cover on either of these, despite our harsh winter weather. The burners and grids may need to be replaced periodically. I solved the grid problem on the new grill because it has stainless steel grids. We replaced the burner at about 8 years under warranty. This type of grill may be more expensive, but I feel it is worth it. I also had/have natural gas piped to these grills, so no propane tanks to lug around or run out.
Broilmaster still makes them- lifetime warranty on virtually everything depending on the model.

A new Weber should last you 12-15 years no issues. Their latest models have 10 year warranties on everything.

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:21 am

We have an 18 year old Weber with no cover and it sits on our uncovered patio year round. Still working fine.

Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:22 am

Big Green Egg. It's ceramic. :D

Conch55

Post by Conch55 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:30 am

Weber Genesis C, purchased in 2001. Have replaced the flavorizer bars a couple of times due to rust, the grates once. The current grates have some rust but are still serviceable. Igniter has rusted so I light with a dollar store lighter. Grill was covered for the first decade plus on an uncovered deck. Have not covered in years and don't see much difference.

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:50 am

I have an 11 year old Weber and keep covered when not in use in TN. It still looks great and works great including the push button igniter.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:34 pm

bbqguru wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:11 am
sport wrote:
Broilmaster still makes them- lifetime warranty on virtually everything depending on the model.

A new Weber should last you 12-15 years no issues. Their latest models have 10 year warranties on everything.
We have one with cast aluminum body that's still fine after 30 years. But the burner has to be replaced about every 4 years, and the grate every 6 - 8 years. But the body is still fine. I do cover it in the winter. Don't remember the brand, either charmglo or charbroil. (Not home now so can't check the manual.)

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:50 pm

I’ve had my stainless Weber gasser for 7 years. It sees use all year round, at least 3 or 4 times a week. Mostly covered, sometimes not. No rust to speak of. It’s my prized possession. I haven’t had to replace a thing on it. I'll never ever go back to buying lesser grills every 3 years.

The new Weber’s aren’t quite the same build quality as the ones made 4 or 5 years ago (unless you pay $1,600+), but they still should last 12 to 15 years, giving quality service.

Good luck and happy grilling.

JT

lws6772

Post by lws6772 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:57 pm

aprilcpa wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:04 am
About 15-20 years ago, my friends made fun of us for spending the money for a Weber grill. They could not understand why we spend that much money on a grill. That grill is still on my porch and working perfectly well. Since then, I wonder how much my friends have spent on grills. :D
We have a Char Broil Patio Caddie from that same time period that works great. Think I paid around $100 for it.
Rule 1. Never lose money. Rule 2. Never forget Rule 1.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:02 pm

I haven't covered my 2004-vintage Genesis Silver C in at least 12 years. Still on the original burners, grates, and ignitor, though I have had to replace the rack that holds the drip pan, and the flavorizer bars are due. It doesn't get much use anymore though, since I got the Kamado Joe about two years ago.

Spend the money on a quality grill and it will last you. Cheaper in the long run than buying a disposable every 2-4 years. Don't cover it. That alone will save you $25/year, before you even consider that uncovered grills tend to last longer.

Fess McGee

Post by Fess McGee » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:34 pm

Thanks to all for the fantastic info. Weber it is!

Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:44 pm

Fess McGee wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:34 pm
Thanks to all for the fantastic info. Weber it is!
20-year old grills are good references only if the new grills have the same quality. Weber used to be very good, but their quality seems to have dropped sharply of late, as discussed at
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=216111&p=3797623

Marylander1

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:19 pm

I bought my large Weber propane grill 15 years ago at a garage sale for $75. I do not know how old it, but it is still going strong. No cover, currently snow covered.

Ralph

Meaty

Post by Meaty » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:21 pm

Fess McGee wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:50 am
I replace my Kenmore grill every 4-5 years and am getting tired of it. Things just keep rusting out, even though covered.

If I go with with a $800-$900 price point Weber, keep a quality cover on it, use it 2x per week, and it stays outside (but covered) from April-November in the midwest, how many years am I looking at here? Basically, I'm thinking of making the leap to Weber.

Any insight? Thanks in advance.
Get a big green egg or Kamado joe. Won’t rust and is WAY superior to a gas grill. Food has never tasted better.
"Discipline equals Freedom" - Jocko Willink

wilked

Post by wilked » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:45 pm

I highly suggest looking used first

Get something like this around the $100 price point

https://providence.craigslist.org/hsh/d ... 67209.html

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:57 pm

I second the Weber grill,

Our last weber sat outdoors with no cover. Lasted 15 years before being replaced for a larger Weber and not because it was rusting. I did have to replace the flavor bars twice. The auto light was replaced 2 times.

If you are fine cleaning it, get a used Weber, clean it out, get a new grate and flavor bars, and replace the ignition. The thing will easily last you a decade.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:08 pm

Meaty wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:21 pm
Get a big green egg or Kamado joe. Won’t rust and is WAY superior to a gas grill. Food has never tasted better.
Seconded. Since getting my Big Joe, I've sold both of my smokers, and the natural gas weber now only gets used for things like hot dogs or searing tuna.

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:11 pm

I had a Charbroil that lasted 2 miserable years of constantly busting and rusting parts including the whole grill box. Charbroil customer service was pretty good about replacing the parts under their warranty but it was a losing battle. After 2 years and the warranty was over I wheeled it to the curb.

I got an old Weber Silver B off craigslist and it has been going like a champ. I replace some parts every year or so but as a whole it really holds up pretty well.

westie

Post by westie » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:04 am

buy 4 grills at $200 a piece or 1 Weber grill for $800.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:58 am

Had to retire a Weber a few years back after 20 years of use (2-3 days per week - 52 weeks of the year). Think I replaced the flavorizer bars once. Fire box was still in good condition. Never covered it unless snow and ice was forecast. Finally the bottom of one leg rusted off. Hard to cook on a non-level surface.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:18 am

pshonore wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:58 am
Had to retire a Weber a few years back after 20 years of use (2-3 days per week - 52 weeks of the year). Think I replaced the flavorizer bars once. Fire box was still in good condition. Never covered it unless snow and ice was forecast. Finally the bottom of one leg rusted off. Hard to cook on a non-level surface.
A neighbor had a similar issue with the leg rust. Rather than toss the entire grill, as it still worked he reused the complete grill box. He had some extra bricks from project so he built a brick stand, removed the grill box from the original frame and mounted it onto the brick stand. He made the stand in such a way that he can fit a larger unit in when the time comes. Obviously it's permanently in place but it looks good, fits in with their patio and it's still working years later.

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:31 pm

I was upset that my Kenmore grill rusted so quickly, so when it was time to replace it, I bought a Weber Genesis. Both grills were under a patio roof, and usually covered as well. Both the Kenmore and Weber rusted quickly, within six months.

I'm impressed with those (including my sister) whose Webers don't rust. All I can say is that it depends on you ecosystem, because mine is a rust bucket.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:16 pm

Weber for 15 years with no cover.
Your grills may be rusting out because you are covering them and trapping in moisture. My belief is that you should never cover them.

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:56 pm

sport wrote:
Pacific Gas Specialties A Series grills or Modern Home Products WNK series (essentially the same grill) are great cast aluminum grills. I had A PGS for 18 years and gave it away in great condition to a guy who would repaint and put new burners in it (i had replaced the burners at about 9-10 years). I replaced it with essentially the same grill but bigger surface area as the one I started with was too small for my cooking needs..

They are great high temperature grills and can take any and all weather.... Down side is they are HOT grills and not so good for low and slow cooking.

I do burgers, dogs, sausages, veggies, steaks, lamb, etc on it. Have a smoker for the low and slow (can't this grill low enough to do proper slow meats)

SR II

Post by SR II » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:32 pm

Just be aware that the "old" Weber grills were all made in the USA. But now, for what it is worth, both the Genesis II and the Spirit II model lines are made in China.

sport

Post by sport » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:47 pm

retiringwhen wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:56 pm
sport wrote:
Pacific Gas Specialties A Series grills or Modern Home Products WNK series (essentially the same grill) are great cast aluminum grills. I had A PGS for 18 years and gave it away in great condition to a guy who would repaint and put new burners in it (i had replaced the burners at about 9-10 years). I replaced it with essentially the same grill but bigger surface area as the one I started with was too small for my cooking needs..

They are great high temperature grills and can take any and all weather.... Down side is they are HOT grills and not so good for low and slow cooking.

I do burgers, dogs, sausages, veggies, steaks, lamb, etc on it. Have a smoker for the low and slow (can't this grill low enough to do proper slow meats)
Coincidentally, my "new" grill is a PGS. We have been happy with it. We have it bolted to the deck.

snowblinded

Post by snowblinded » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:56 pm

15+ years with Weber. Replaced cast iron grates twice. May be time for new burners. Covered the grill at first, but haven't for the last decade or so, and the exterior is fine.

Part of me wants a new one (because: American consumerism), part of me just thinks that spending $50 every few years for a new part is just fine.

When we go on vacation, the cabins we stay at often have Char-Griller or some store-ish brand, and their grates are cheap and rusted and they don't heat up well. Happy with everything I've bought from Weber.

nerdymarketer

Post by nerdymarketer » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:52 am

What specifically is rusting out?

The flavorizer bars? Buy stainless and instead of getting the 18 gauge weber ones buy the 16 gauge ones off eBay--they will last longer. This is the one part you should expect to eventually wear out and need replacement.

The burners? Again, buy stainless steel and instead of getting the weber stamped stainless steel, buy the stainless steel rod ones off eBay--they will last forever, have more mass so the grill will stay longer/leave better sear marks, etc. Expect to pay $110 so they are more expensive than the stamped steel grates as they have significantly more metal. Expensive, but worth it IMHO.

The firebox itself? Buy an older weber that was partially cast aluminum--those are indestructible.

You can typically buy the Weber Genesis Silver series on Craigslist for $50-$100 in either two-burner or three-burner model. They are old, but will last and last. The weakest point is where the leg attaches to the firebox, that will rust out and eventually need replacement. But the firebox and internal components (once suitable upgraded) will last for decades.

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:19 am

nerdymarketer wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:52 am
What specifically is rusting out?

The outside panels.

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:05 am

My 2¢.
Weber.
Like the OP's thread title, I wised up years ago after buying K-mart grills every two to three years.
I bought a Weber Genesis B gasser in 2004 for $350! (That's 3 K-mart grills!) Use it for quick grilling foods.Kept uncovered on screened porch in Florida.
Bought Weber 22" Kettle in 2013 for $79. Use it mostly for smoking purposes but when I fire it up I'll add sausages or thighs for multiple meals.
I have never used an Egg style but never heard anything negative. Owners love them.
I'm perfectly happy with my Webers & the occasional part purchase.
My sister bought a charcoal grill last year & asked me to put it together. Wow, what an eye opener. It was a POS.
For her minimal use she would have been better off with a small Weber Smokey Joe for about the same money.
Too soon old, too late smart.

steadyeddy

Post by steadyeddy » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:28 am

bbqguru wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:11 am
sport wrote:

Bought a natural gas Broilmaster in 2015 for ~$1,500. They will drop ship any part but a new body to the original owner for free. I’m in the upper Midwest and will make good use of that warranty for many decades. The body is cast aluminum and will last longer than me. Grill can heat as hot as a pizza oven and low as ~200* if vented.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:57 am

Fess McGee wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:50 am
it stays outside (but covered) from April-November in the midwest
I live in the midwest and had the same problem until I stopped covering them and then the problem went away. The covers just trap the heat (and the large majority are black which makes the problem worse) and humidity which is what is causing the rusting problem. I now leave mine uncovered all year round under roof overhang of my house.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:01 am

I stopped covering my charcoal grill. It just keeps the moisture in.